Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,707 members, 7,805,897 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:14 AM

June 12 1993 And The Lessons Of History By Joe Igbokwe - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / June 12 1993 And The Lessons Of History By Joe Igbokwe (14907 Views)

Kemi Adeosun Wearing NYSC Uniform - By Joe Igbokwe (Real Or Photoshopped?) / The Unofficial Results Of The Annulled June 12 1993 Election / June 12, 1993 Election Results By States (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: June 12 1993 And The Lessons Of History By Joe Igbokwe by Chamboor(m): 6:45pm On Jun 12, 2017
FakoMaybach1:
It is very funny to me when i hear that yorubas were in the forefront in the fight for democracy when i know the biggest party in west africa i.e the PDP was formed by an Igbo man.

Making noise and writing articles is not fighting, it is called air pollution. the true warriors formed a political party even under abacha and they pushed for democracy, abeg make una let us hear word

Take it easy guy, what do u stand to gain from this hell bound lies?? PDP was formed in August,1998 by Dr. Alex Ekwueme, Chief Solomon Lar, Senator Francis Ellah, Alhaji Abubakar Rimi, Chief Bola Ige, Dr. Iyorcha Ayu, Prof. Jerry Gana, Alhaji Sule Lamido and Mallam Adamu Ciroma. The group which subsequently was referred to as G9 gave birth to the G18 which gave birth to G34, the group that finally transformed into the PDP.

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/01/pdp-chairmen/

2 Likes

Re: June 12 1993 And The Lessons Of History By Joe Igbokwe by Super1Star: 6:50pm On Jun 12, 2017
emmydadave:

Mtcheeeeeeeew... See talk. Just like what my guy said up there, if not that Abdulsalam tool his own share from abacha's looth and decided to stay clear and give rule to civilians what did the yorubas do? They did nothing except mop and expect others to pity them. why ws presidency given to obasanjo and not the the dude they choose? Baba u need no to make ur research well b4 u start typing long meaninless stuffs

Is this person a toddler?

Why was an Igbo not chosen by Abdulsalam. At least Ekwueme wanted to be President but they went over his head to pick a prisoner.

Shows how worthless. You people are.

Nothing more and nothing less.

In your dreams, Abdulsalam just felt l relinquishing power!!! See this joker. What befell Abacha would have befall in, simple as ABC.

3 Likes

Re: June 12 1993 And The Lessons Of History By Joe Igbokwe by YungMillionaire: 7:04pm On Jun 12, 2017
Super1Star:
God bless Joe Igbokwe.

The people shouting Biafrau.d today were subservient to their Hausa-Fulani masters and they actively participated in the annulment of June 12.

They ran away from SW, wishing war on us.

They even organised 1million man match in support of the devilish Abacha.

We vividly recall the inglorious role played by cowardly Humphrey Nwosu, useless David Mark and Halilu Akilu and Saboteur Arthur Nzeribe and Lucifer IBB. Not forgetting Daniel kanu, Uche Chukwumerije, Tony Anenih, Jery Gana, Baba Gana Kingibe etc

At the end, our tact, wisdom, resilience, patience and international diplomacy paid off. We demystified and dismantled the Fulani Oligarchy, we sent the military packing and got South to get to power after 20years. IBB was sent packing and Abacha died as a chicken. That was dealing an eternal blow to the enemies of Yorubas.

The same Lagos Abacha wanted to level is the same place some jokers are saying they developed, as if their forefathers even developed a village.

Special thanks go to the likes of Alfred Rewane, Anthony Enahoro, Frank Kokori and his Nupeng and Pengassan team, TELL Magazine, Newswatch Magazine, ColonelAbubakar Umar, Sen Shehu Sanni and Ndubuisi Kanu etc for the support they gave Yorubas during the trying time.

To the Yoruba Nation from Jebba to Ilaje, Saki to Okitipupa, Badagry to Kaaba, I salute your courage and resoluteness. We should always remember that our forefathers were warriors that bestowed an industrious and prosperous Empire on us, while our Grandfathers played active role in the liberation of our nation from the colonial masters and our Fathers fought for the democracy we are all enjoying today.

The onus lies on.this generation to rekindle the light of hope of our forefathers and tap into the wisdom and history of our ancestors and further forge a path of greatness that we shall bequeath to the coming generation. So that history can be magnanimous to our generation in years to come.

God Bless courageous MKO Abiola and Kudirat (for their supreme price that they paid for us to have democracy, instead of fleeing)

God bless Yoruba Nation

God bless the land of Oduduwa

God bless Nigeria

Awesome write up!

1 Like

Re: June 12 1993 And The Lessons Of History By Joe Igbokwe by stayreal: 7:19pm On Jun 12, 2017
OBAGADAFFI:

Nigeria is just a cycle of Hatred .

Only for those who understand history.

Stop with the lies. Igbos are not responsible for your beloved June 12th and the killing of Abiola.The north rules you people and they didn't want Abiola as President, they had a better servant in Obasanjo that would look out for their interests. You Canaanites are the ones that continue to rewrite history. If y'all are so tough, why didn't you cowards confront Igbos that came back to Lagos?
Re: June 12 1993 And The Lessons Of History By Joe Igbokwe by melodyogonna(m): 7:57pm On Jun 12, 2017
sweetgala:

You are idiotic to forget that the resistance to Abacha military rule was centered in Lagos and Ibadan especially the number of Yoruba leaders sergeant Rogers was sent to eliminate was immense , even in usually relatively peaceful Ibadan the army were always visible and strikes /riots were frequent through the 90s , Alhaja Adedeji lived not far from my place in the Oluwo Nla/because axis of bashorun the day she was killed was a dark day ,

Thanks likes of Tinubu , Afikuyomi, Solarin, Fela kuti ,Delẹ Momodu were the vocal opposition, do you think we have forgotten it was Igbo merchants IBB used to organise rallies and ultimately annul the election.
All this yorubas sef, he(igbokwe) said you all kept quiet and endured, ye all said he was right, ye all said he is the best igbo man, now i also said the same thing in a different way cheesy and you are calling me idiotic??

How is it possible that yorubas were quiet(as he said) and was protesting and rioting at thesame time(as u are implying), truth is. . . .No one can keep shut in such intimidation and marginlization.

Joe igbokwe is just a big fool who was promised to get an oil bloc if he could convince igbos to abandon biafra or get his ass flogged away from APC with that dem obasanjo kitchen broom grin grin grin
Re: June 12 1993 And The Lessons Of History By Joe Igbokwe by Qualityever: 7:57pm On Jun 12, 2017
Oladimejyy:
One thing i'av notice about you igbos is that whenever anybody talk about good thing about Yoruba,You igbos always attack that being including your leaders too.
Yorubas never hate igbos but you igbos hate Yoruba.
Since you guys hate Yoruba why cant you leave Yoruba land and lets see if you can survive

my brother Igbos don't hate yorubas. if you are having a problem with your igbo neighbor, please don't generalize it. There are good and bad people everywhere.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: June 12 1993 And The Lessons Of History By Joe Igbokwe by laudate: 8:00pm On Jun 12, 2017
FakoMaybach1:
It is very funny to me when i hear that yorubas were in the forefront in the fight for democracy when i know the biggest party in west africa i.e the PDP was formed by an Igbo man.

Making noise and writing articles is not fighting, it is called air pollution. the true warriors formed a political party even under abacha and they pushed for democracy, abeg make una let us hear word
You are just a child. Grow up. undecided In the days of MKO Abiola, there was nothing like PDP. The only two parties contesting the presidency were Social Democratic Party (SDP) and National Republican Convention (NRC). Go back and read up on the struggle for democracy in Nigeria. Google is your friend.

Chamboor:
Take it easy guy, what do u stand to gain from this hell bound lies?? PDP was formed in August,1998 by Dr. Alex Ekwueme, Chief Solomon Lar, Senator Francis Ellah, Alhaji Abubakar Rimi, Chief Bola Ige, Dr. Iyorcha Ayu, Prof. Jerry Gana, Alhaji Sule Lamido and Mallam Adamu Ciroma. The group which subsequently was referred to as G9 gave birth to the G18 which gave birth to G34, the group that finally transformed into the PDP.

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/01/pdp-chairmen/
May you live long! cheesy May the wisdom God gave to you, never depart from your life. cool Can you see how some school kids spew crap on this forum? I don't blame them. It is those who dashed them a free keyboard and free internet, that are at fault.

ernieboy:
don't peddle lies, on the contrary it is on record that the Yoruba's were in the forefront of the struggle against the military junta, have you forgotten the days of nadeco and other activist movements which finally led to the emergence of the present Democratic era?
Your post make sense, die! wink Thanks for educating the clueless ones....

1 Like

Re: June 12 1993 And The Lessons Of History By Joe Igbokwe by simplycarro: 8:14pm On Jun 12, 2017
Either there are more ibo kids on Nairaland than older igbos or the older igbos are without wisdom

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: June 12 1993 And The Lessons Of History By Joe Igbokwe by saintandsinnerz: 9:02pm On Jun 12, 2017
simplycarro:
Either there are more ibo kids on Nairaland than older igbos or the older igbos are without wisdom
But why is that you are only seen in threads that promote hatred against the Igbos? Is that how you hate them reach? Hmm, hatred can cause obsession o
Re: June 12 1993 And The Lessons Of History By Joe Igbokwe by simplycarro: 9:10pm On Jun 12, 2017
saintandsinnerz:

But why is that you are only seen in threads that promote hatred against the Igbos? Is that how you hate them reach? Hmm, hatred can cause obsession o

It's mutual
Re: June 12 1993 And The Lessons Of History By Joe Igbokwe by saintandsinnerz: 9:23pm On Jun 12, 2017
simplycarro:

It's mutual
OK continue with the mutual hate since it makes you happy
Re: June 12 1993 And The Lessons Of History By Joe Igbokwe by simplycarro: 9:28pm On Jun 12, 2017
saintandsinnerz:

OK continue with the mutual hate since it makes you happy
Get out
Re: June 12 1993 And The Lessons Of History By Joe Igbokwe by saintandsinnerz: 9:33pm On Jun 12, 2017
simplycarro:

Get out
I can see you have a difficult childhood, hence your bitterness
Re: June 12 1993 And The Lessons Of History By Joe Igbokwe by Dailyschoolnews: 9:33pm On Jun 12, 2017
Wonderful share. Great respect to the Yoruba's clan.
Re: June 12 1993 And The Lessons Of History By Joe Igbokwe by danyaril2yahoo: 9:46pm On Jun 12, 2017
Mr Joe igbokwe,my prayer is that,none of your children will take after you,because you're a disagrace to human race.just because of a pot of meat,you sold your honour & diginity[quote author=olajay86 post=57434823]http://www.e-12-1993

Those who were not born before June 12, 1993, may not know what is all about. For record purposes, June 12, 1993, was the day Nigerians from the East, West, North and rose voice, in amity, in unity, in concord and tandem to elect Chief M.K.O as the president of Nigeria. But on 21st June 1993 the former military president, retired General Ibrahim Babangida annulled the historic election and set Nigeria on the path of crisis, leading to many deaths including the winner and the wife , Kudrirat Abiola.

In my book, Heroes of Democracy (1999) the struggle for the revalidation of that mandate and the consequences was documented for posterity and generations yet unborn. Today I want to talk about the historical importance of that election, the pains, the sacrifices, the losses and the lessons.

Recall that the consummate winner of that historic election, a Yoruba first class leader, a Chartered Accountant of note, an international scholar, and a very successful businessman was hounded and incarcerated for five years and was eventually poisoned on July 7, 1998. The wife, Kudirat Abiola was shot in Lagos on June 4, 1996. It was a calculated attempt and carefully planned work to provoke the Yoruba to war in order to destroy the economy Lagos but did Yorubas play into their hands? NO! A lot of high profile Yoruba leaders including the late Chief Abraham Adesanya, the late Chief Bola Ige, Ayo Adebanjo, late Olaniwun Ajayi, Ayo Opadokun and others were incarcerated, some like Suliat Adedeji, Admiral Omotosho , Admiral Elegbede, Toyin Onagoruwa etc were killed. Former president OBASANJO was sent to jail for an alleged phantom coup.

Great minds like Professor Wole Soyinka, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Kayode Fayemi and many others were chased into exile .Yoruba leaders were abused, humiliated and ridiculed but did they resort to self-determination, abuse, hatred and ethnic bigotry? No! with pen and paper, and with common sense, sound education and civilization they faced those who planned to decimate them. No wonder the presidency was zoned to them in 1999 even though they did not allow them to use their choice, Chief Olu Falae. The powers that be chose Chief Olusegun Obasanjo. That singular mistake almost made Nigeria to lose almost everything in 16 years of PDP. Obasanjo was not prepared for leadership. He just came out from prison with no agenda, no plans, no strategy.

Then came the late Umaru Yar Adua who died in office and then Jonathan and in those 16 years Nigeria, many including this writer still talk about it as the years of the locusts. Now the questions people like us have been asking is whether Nigeria would have been where it is today had Chief Abiola been allowed to rule Nigeria at least for 8 years? Abiola would have brought to bear his cognate and very deep experience in the business world to transform Nigeria. Chief Abiola would have set the template for a prosperous Nigeria, he would have brought the hope he promised Nigerians, he would utilized our oil revenue to transform Nigeria as a Chartered Accountant and he would have changed for the better Nigeria's course of history.

Denying Chief Abiola his mandate caused Nigeria a great and monumental setback in 18 years .Today 24 years after, the annulment of that mandate is still haunting Nigeria.

What happened from June 12, 1993, to July 7, 1998, provoked the Yoruba nation to hate other Nigerians especially the Hausa- Fulani and Igbo for decimating a free mandate given to their illustrious son and killing him thereafter. But did the Yoruba go to war? Today southwest is the richest zone in Nigeria. In fact, the IGR of Ogun state is bigger than that of the entire South East States. Lagos IGR is bigger than that of 33 states in Nigeria put together. If Yoruba had gone to war where would they have been today? What would have happened if Igbo or Hausa-Fulani had suffered what Yoruba went through? I have no doubt in my mind that they would have gone to war but see what tact, common sense, education, The same Yoruba was later to form an alliance with Hausa – Fulani in 2014 to box Igbo and their collaborators in the South South to a corner in 2015 general elections.

Now, what are the lessons? There are no permanent foes or friends in politics. If you can wait and not tired of waiting the world and everything in it belong to you. Chief Abiola would have given up his mandate and still be alive but he chose the path of human dignity to liberate his people. Chief Abiola's supreme sacrifice gave rise to May 29 we now celebrate as Democracy Day. I do not know any Nigerian multi-billionaire today who will do what Chief Abiola did yet other people think Yorubas are cowards. Perish the thought. They are the toughest a
Re: June 12 1993 And The Lessons Of History By Joe Igbokwe by danyaril2yahoo: 9:52pm On Jun 12, 2017
I think if fela happen to be alive,he'll have a total different opinion about the man called MKO.AKA 'ITT'
WorldRichest:

You are right, he should have written about World Free Drug Trafficking Day in order to give Ibos free passage to traffic drugs.
Re: June 12 1993 And The Lessons Of History By Joe Igbokwe by simplycarro: 10:05pm On Jun 12, 2017
saintandsinnerz:

I can see you have a difficult childhood, hence your bitterness

You like quoting me express your foolishness

1 Like

Re: June 12 1993 And The Lessons Of History By Joe Igbokwe by Abiola001(m): 6:20am On Jun 13, 2017
Pls let us unite 2 make our gr8 country beta UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL
Re: June 12 1993 And The Lessons Of History By Joe Igbokwe by africanusvu(m): 12:00pm On Jun 13, 2017
Oladimejyy:
One thing i'av notice about you igbos is that whenever anybody talk about good thing about Yoruba,You igbos always attack that being including your leaders too.
Yorubas never hate igbos but you igbos hate Yoruba.
Since you guys hate Yoruba why cant you leave Yoruba land and lets see if you can survive
.Who t0ld u igbos hate yoruba?dnt mind dis idiot wit nnamdikanu.we disagree dnt mean hate
Re: June 12 1993 And The Lessons Of History By Joe Igbokwe by sweetgala(m): 6:05pm On Jun 13, 2017
melodyogonna:
All this yorubas sef, he(igbokwe) said you all kept quiet and endured, ye all said he was right, ye all said he is the best igbo man, now i also said the same thing in a different way cheesy and you are calling me idiotic??

How is it possible that yorubas were quiet(as he said) and was protesting and rioting at thesame time(as u are implying), truth is. . . .No one can keep shut in such intimidation and marginlization.

Joe igbokwe is just a big fool who was promised to get an oil bloc if he could convince igbos to abandon biafra or get his ass flogged away from APC with that dem obasanjo kitchen broom grin grin grin

Yoruba protest with common sense, our protest aim to address the issue rather than shouting about an phantom marginalisation.

The Yoruba did what was possible without assaulting the sensibilities of other Nigerians ethnicities

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Segun Sowunmi: Dapo Abiodun Running Ogun Like A Level 13 Civil Servant / $3m Bribery Scandal: Ex-speaker Patricia Etteh Blows Hot! / Bode George Wins African Leadership Award

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.