Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,150 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:49 AM

Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. (52198 Views)

Fasoranti, Clarke, Nwodo, 13 Others Sue Buhari Over Lopsided Appointments / South East Governors Caution Over Biafra / Ken Nnamani Leaves A Book Launch Visibly Angry During Argument Over Biafra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by amaechi2020: 12:54pm On Jun 12, 2017
A United States (U.S.) District Court for the District of Columbia has granted leave to 10 Biafran plaintiffs to sue Nigeria’s Chief of Army Staff, Gen. Tukur Yusuf Buratai, and 13 others for complicity in the 2016 torture and extra-judicial killings under colour of Nigeria law to retaliate for peaceful Biafran protests against ethnic or religious oppression.

Brought under the Torture Victims Protection Act and Alien Tort Claims Act Complaint, the plaintiffs are seeking millions of dollars as damages to compensate for their grievous losses and suffering.

The suit, John Doe, et al vs. Tukur Yusuf Buratai et al, with Civil Action No. 1:17-cv-01033, has been assigned to United States District Judge Ellen S. Huvelle, who was appointed by President William Jefferson Clinton.
The court further ruled that the “plaintiffs alleged that identifying plaintiffs or decedents would expose them, their families and relatives to an intolerable risk of death or serious bodily injury at the hands of defendants or the Government of Nigeria.”

Counsel to the plaintiffs, Attorney Bruce Fein of Fein & DelValle PLLC, and W. Bruce DelValle, said, among others: “This landmark lawsuit is about justice and the rule of law coming to rescue Igbo, Biafrans and their political supporters who are persecuted, because of their Christian religion, ethnicity and political viewpoints since Nigeria’s independence from its colonial master Great Britain in October 1960.”

http://guardian.ng/news/buratai-13-others-taken-to-u-s-district-court-over-biafra-protests/

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by NLandIsHypocrit: 12:58pm On Jun 12, 2017
This time it won't be business as usual, already there's enough evidence on ground, the videos of how they killed innocent youths in Onitsha, Awka, Aba and others are all over the youtube, you can just make a simple search for "Nigeria soldiers kills IPOB members in Onitsha" and the rest will flood around so is not the question of I didn't do it, or I'm not aware. The one that happened in Port Harcourt on 20th January 2017 during the IPOB rally for the inauguration of President Trump, I was there life and everything happened before my very eyes, A guy was gunned down right in my front before some of us retreated, but it was quite unfortunate that they also came out and denied it. Buratai thought he would have been the super hero the moment he kills innocent, armless and law abiding IPOB members for hate and frivolous reasons. We hope that Justice will surely prevail because those killed are more humans than their killers. Even if Justice fails to come through this Chanel, one thing is undisputable, all those who participated in the killings of innocent IPOB members either directly or indirectly must surely pay a heavy price, anyone of them who escapes the physical nets will never escape the spiritual nets.

357 Likes 36 Shares

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by sweerychick(f): 12:59pm On Jun 12, 2017
Wow justice in the making

79 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by amaechi2020: 1:09pm On Jun 12, 2017
Big trap for US -Nigeria Relationship....... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
The United States District Court for the District of Columbia has entered an order authorising 10 Biafran Plaintiffs to sue 14 Nigerian Defendants for alleged complicity in the 2016 torture and extrajudicial killings under colour of Nigerian law to retaliate for peaceful Biafran protests against ethnic or religious oppression. Though the order was given on June 2, 2017, News Express learnt of it on Saturday night when it received a copy of a statement issued in Washington, D.C, by the litigants.

The statement, dated June 8, 2017, said that the next step in the litigation is to serve the Torture Victims Protection Act and Alien Tort Claims Act Complaint on the Nigerian Defendants.

The Biafran Plaintiffs are seeking millions of dollars of damages to compensate for their grievous losses and suffering. The case name is John Doe, et al v. Tukur Yusuf Buratai et al, United States District Court for the District of Columbia Civil Action No. 1:17-cv-01033. It has been assigned to United States District Judge Ellen S. Huvelle, appointed by President William Jefferson Clinton.

The District Court’s Order noted: “Each Nigerian Defendant allegedly committed crimes against humanity and, as regards each of the Decedents, extrajudicial killings actionable under the Alien Torts Act and Torture Victims Protection Act. The Complaint alleges that Defendants’ sole or substantial motivating force behind the extrajudicial murders and torture…was the ethnicity, religious and political beliefs of the victims which match those of each Plaintiff, i.e., Igbo ethnicity, Christian faith, and support of Biafran independence through peaceful means.”

The District Court added that the “Plaintiffs’ allege that identifying Plaintiffs or Decedents would expose them, their families, and relatives to an intolerable risk of death or serious bodily injury at the hands of Defendants or the Government of Nigeria.”

Attorney Bruce Fein, of Fein & DelValle PLLC, who represents the Plaintiffs with his partner W. Bruce DelValle, explained:

“This landmark lawsuit is about justice and the rule of law coming to rescue Igbos, Biafrans and their political supporters who are persecuted because of their Christian religion, their ethnicity and their political viewpoints since Nigeria’s independence fromits colonial master Great Britain in October 1960. Nigeria’s decolonization violated the1960 United Nations General Assembly Declaration on the granting of independence to colonial countries and peoples. Paragraph 2 declares, ’All peoples have the right to self-determination; by virtue of that right they freely determine their political status and freely pursue their economic, social, and cultural development.’ Great Britain never allowed Biafrans to ‘freely determine their political status‘through a plebiscite or otherwise.

That stands in stark contrast to the self-determination vote Great Britain afforded the Scots in 2014. Biafrans are decidedly more distinct from other Nigerians in matters of democratic culture, history, religion, language and ethnicity than the Scots are from the English. The time to remedy the flagrant decolonisation injustice to Biafrans through peaceful means is long overdue.”

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by Homeboiy: 1:31pm On Jun 12, 2017
let me soak my chaplet in hot water

I pray buratai goes down

183 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by Nobody: 2:03pm On Jun 12, 2017
amaechi2020:
A United States (U.S.) District Court for the District of Columbia has granted leave to 10 Biafran plaintiffs to sue Nigeria’s Chief of Army Staff, Gen. Tukur Yusuf Buratai, and 13 others for complicity in the 2016 torture and extra-judicial killings under colour of Nigeria law to retaliate for peaceful Biafran protests against ethnic or religious oppression.

Brought under the Torture Victims Protection Act and Alien Tort Claims Act Complaint, the plaintiffs are seeking millions of dollars as damages to compensate for their grievous losses and suffering.

The suit, John Doe, et al vs. Tukur Yusuf Buratai et al, with Civil Action No. 1:17-cv-01033, has been assigned to United States District Judge Ellen S. Huvelle, who was appointed by President William Jefferson Clinton.
The court further ruled that the “plaintiffs alleged that identifying plaintiffs or decedents would expose them, their families and relatives to an intolerable risk of death or serious bodily injury at the hands of defendants or the Government of Nigeria.”

Counsel to the plaintiffs, Attorney Bruce Fein of Fein & DelValle PLLC, and W. Bruce DelValle, said, among others: “This landmark lawsuit is about justice and the rule of law coming to rescue Igbo, Biafrans and their political supporters who are persecuted, because of their Christian religion, ethnicity and political viewpoints since Nigeria’s independence from its colonial master Great Britain in October 1960.”

http://guardian.ng/news/buratai-13-others-taken-to-u-s-district-court-over-biafra-protests/

It's time to achieve Biafra.
seriously Nigeria is in dip pressure
our leaders are confused
while Masses are complaints complaining to complainers (leaders)

115 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jun 12, 2017
justice shall prevail

85 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by binsanni(m): 2:08pm On Jun 12, 2017
sekxy:
justice shall prevail
an we shall chase them out

5 Likes

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by Tkester: 2:10pm On Jun 12, 2017
Cc lalasticlala, mynd44, ishilove,

This is from guardian news and it deserves front page.

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by Tkester: 2:13pm On Jun 12, 2017
Things are gradually escalating... I blame buhari for all these.

Once foreigners most especially westerners start getting involved in biafran issues then know it is a game over for Nigeria. This is because a lot of mercenaries will bring investment into it and will ultimately want to reap from it.

142 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by amaechi2020: 2:28pm On Jun 12, 2017
JUSTICE MUST BE SERVED

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by cursedAbiola(f): 2:31pm On Jun 12, 2017
buruntashi belongs to the Hague

133 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jun 12, 2017
Waste of time

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by Ufranklin92(m): 2:48pm On Jun 12, 2017
Good one

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by Tkester: 2:51pm On Jun 12, 2017
IbnSultaan:
Waste of time

Bro don't swear on it. The international recognition is mind boggling. What IPoB is doing is a modern way of freedom fighting. Imagine if the court finds brutai guilty of mass murder, do you actually know the damage it will have on Nigeria? In fact the US/Nigeria relationship will go into limbo and Biafra would gain a lot of sympathies just as they are having now all over the world.

199 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by EasternWind: 2:52pm On Jun 12, 2017
Biafrans looking forward to justice

This beast and his gang of criminals need to have a feel of wrath of the law for evils they committed against humanity

102 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by fineboynl(m): 2:57pm On Jun 12, 2017
though they are valid case but i can assures you that nothing will comes out from it. Nigerians politicians are good in using juju.

5 Likes

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by Tkester: 3:02pm On Jun 12, 2017
fineboynl:
though they are valid case but i can assures you that nothing will comes out from it. Nigerians politicians are good in using juju.

Maybe they forgot their juju when ICJ ruled in favour of Cameroon over Bakassi peninsula

143 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by Akissani: 3:07pm On Jun 12, 2017
Mtcheew......y are people still talking about biafra na? Just pack ur things and leave our land before we chase u

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by prodigy24: 3:09pm On Jun 12, 2017
Now the north can now go and execute their threat, we are determined to have our freedom,and there is nothing anything unity beggar can do about it.
They have been on rampage in the last few days since the success of the sit at home protest by Ndi igbo. At the same time hailed bloody Brutai, and even threatened us with more killing, should we protest.I wonder what is even wrong with the way Nigerians process information.

Instead of them to tell give us preponderance argument on how we will be better of in bigger Nigeria.They rather remind us how we will annihilate ourselves in Biafra, how gloomy things will become in Biafra. I have demystified afonja,and their propaganda, i will always oblige to the call to shred them into pieces grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin,
i know all their cunny ways, look at how they have acted blind on the human head harvest that took place at osun state last week. But raised their ugly head on the kidnapping incident, that took place in lagos. They have started showing the pictures and the name,to make a bold statement on NDI IGBO AND KIDNAPPING... don't worry, we will retaliate and when we do it becomes bloody,because we are formidable.. They would rather dissipate energy on Biafra than Nigeria multiple problem. You will also see how Ndi igbo spoke in condemnation of the act, many expressed anger over the embarrassment. But yoruba wooosai they would rather eat ewedu than condemn skull mining.

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by patrick89(m): 3:11pm On Jun 12, 2017
Whop.
Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by DanseMacabre(m): 3:13pm On Jun 12, 2017
But I don't understand. Will he be repatriated to face trial, or will the trial be in absentia?

And if he's found guilty, will he be repatriated to serve punishment, or will it be here in Nigeria?

4 Likes

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by fineboynl(m): 3:17pm On Jun 12, 2017
DanseMacabre:
But I don't understand. Will he be repatriated to face trial, or will the trial be in absentia?

And if he's found guilty, will he be repatriated to serve punishment, or will it be here in Nigeria?
the united state can declared him wanted. that means if Nigeria refuse to hand over him to the USA Nigeria will face problem with international relationship. and he will not be able to travel out to any country outside Nigeria if he is wanted. the charges if documentation is valid is international crimes.

111 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by verygudbadguy(m): 3:35pm On Jun 12, 2017
The music is getting louder.. The louder the sound, the more the number of listeners.

96 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by Newbiee: 3:36pm On Jun 12, 2017
Why not ICC? Rubbish who Biafra EPP?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by seunny4lif(m): 3:36pm On Jun 12, 2017
Homeboiy:
let me soak my chaplet in hot water

I pray buratai goes down
Make I join you oooooh
This is serious oooooooh

63 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by chuksanambra: 3:36pm On Jun 12, 2017
Okay, my people have added Buratai to the fight. I hope that when the Hausas start dealing with those ones in the north, they won't call Buratai to epp them.

Let them call Fayose and Fani Kayodo as the Commanders in Chief of the Biafran forces.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by jumich1(m): 3:37pm On Jun 12, 2017
grin
Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by Mcowubaba: 3:37pm On Jun 12, 2017
fineboynl:
the united state can declared him wanted. that means if Nigeria refuse to hand over him to the USA Nigeria will face problem with international relationship. and he will not be able to travel out to any country outside Nigeria if he is wanted. charges if valid is international crimes.
Too much M-net action films dey disturb you.. .

Anyways, I support the move, let's watch how it plays out.

9 Likes

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by ivolt: 3:37pm On Jun 12, 2017
I trust Trump to put Americans first.
Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by NwaAmaikpe: 3:37pm On Jun 12, 2017
shocked

Justice will be served.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by UncleJudax(m): 3:37pm On Jun 12, 2017
grin
Tkester:

Maybe they forgot their juju when ICJ ruled in favour of Cameroon over Bakassi peninsula

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Boko Haram Member's Hand And Leg Chopped Off By Insurgents (Photos) / How My Father Was Murdered - Obumneme, Chike Akunyili’s Son / Rasak Okoya 80th Birthday: Tinubu, Obasanjo, Sanwo-Olu, Osoba, Hamzat Spotted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.