Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,033 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:46 AM

Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise (35223 Views)

Are The Igbos Really Jews? See The Colonial Flag And Currency Of Nigeria / Why Do Igbos Hate Buhari? - Mustapha Gembu, Hausa Activist / Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by sukkot: 8:05am On Jun 23, 2017
Amoto94:
Sukkot and Shymmex whatever happened in the past just forget and forge ahead you guys are intellectuals in your own right, brothers do fight but they will always reconcile for good. Sukkot no dey look for your Broda trouble again o.
grin grin respect to you my brother Amoto94. Yeah bro I have stopped looking for trouble na. I am on the straight and narrow road grin
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jun 23, 2017
sukkot:
grin
abeg, what's the name of that site you watch movies for free?
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by sukkot: 5:47pm On Jun 23, 2017
Joavid:

abeg, what's the name of that site you watch movies for free?
hmm i dont even go on it anymore but its still there sha. its called VIOOZ.
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by Amoto94(m): 6:09pm On Jun 23, 2017
sukkot:
grin grin respect to you my brother Amoto94. Yeah bro I have stopped looking for trouble na. I am on the straight and narrow road grin
Respect reciprocated here my brother from westside.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jun 23, 2017
sukkot:
hmm i dont even go on it anymore but its still there sha. its called VIOOZ.

thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by MrSly(m): 7:43pm On Jun 23, 2017
sukkot:
they were called the NOK tribe. its an ancient tribe. nothing to do with igbo. google it. The NOK
You are so lame at History. You need a home lesson teacher.
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by ivolt: 4:20pm On Aug 07, 2017
sukkot:
so am looking at this map of nigeria in the 1800s and it shows yoruba and hausa and nupe territories and there is no mention of igbo. the igbo territories belonged to Niger protectorate and coast. my question is are igbos really from nigeria ? I am starting to think they migrated from cameroon to that region in the late 1800s. so the question is if they are Cameroonians why do they want to form biafra in nigeria ? look at this map and tell me i am wrong

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5490048_e1_jpeg0589c142e9397ad011c439904c1d6068

They are indigenous to Nigeria, the reason they were not shown on that map is because
they have not developed past the village clan level and had no significant civilization, a
requirement for being noticed in the 17th century.
Each hamlet was on its own fighting the other hamlets.
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by sukkot: 4:23pm On Aug 07, 2017
ivolt:

They are indigenous to Nigeria, the reason they were not shown on that map is because
they have not developed past the village clan level and had no significant civilization, a
i dont think requirements to be on a map is development though. a map is about geographical areas and the people in it irrespective of how developed they appear to be or not. thats all am saying bro
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by DerideGull(m): 4:29pm On Aug 07, 2017
sukkot:
so am looking at this map of nigeria in the 1800s and it shows yoruba and hausa and nupe territories and there is no mention of igbo. the igbo territories belonged to Niger protectorate and coast. my question is are igbos really from nigeria ? I am starting to think they migrated from cameroon to that region in the late 1800s. so the question is if they are Cameroonians why do they want to form biafra in nigeria ? look at this map and tell me i am wrong

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5490048_e1_jpeg0589c142e9397ad011c439904c1d6068

There are too many airheads in the cesspit called Nigeria. The clueless bunch of nefarious maggots do not have any sense of critical approach to scratched images. In a work such as the map, the onlooker should have asked who was the cartographer and did the sketcher have any ulterior motives? The British and most Europeans have no credibility in anything Nigeria as long as Igbo person is involved.
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by ivolt: 4:29pm On Aug 07, 2017
sukkot:
i dont think requirements to be on a map is development though. a map is about geographical areas and the people in it irrespective of how developed they appear to be or not. thats all am saying bro

Geographical map areas are determined by people
and their economic and social importance to the map creators not land.

Most Nigerian minority tribes were not featured on that map.

Even if you pick up google map today, there are areas that are co-opted
into larger sections. It doesn't mean people don't exist on such lands,
just that they insignificant, population or economic wise.

1 Like

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by DerideGull(m): 4:34pm On Aug 07, 2017
ivolt:

Igbo developed one of the complex systems of government, representative system, ever known to mankind. It is the same system called democracy today. The hell on earth given to the British in particular and Europeans in general by the Ndigbo constituted the cornerstone behind the reasons Igbo was very hard to dance on their lips.
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by sukkot: 4:36pm On Aug 07, 2017
ivolt:

Geographical map areas are determined by people
and their economic and social importance to the map creators not land.

Most Nigerian minority tribes were not featured on that map.

Even if you pick up google map today, there are areas that are co-opted
into larger sections. It doesn't mean people don't exist on such lands,
just that they insignificant, population or economic wise.
those maps are drawn up by europeans and they are impartial. they send their agents to these villages and ask for the names of the people and they put it on the map. the map areas are not determined by the indigenous people, its europeans who drew up the map. so the fact that igbo was not included in that map at that time tells me they never existed as of that time. i believe that map is 400 or so years old. and yes as you said, most nigerian tribes were not included but these are small tribes. the igbo is the 3rd largest tribe for chrissakes. how do you leave out the 3rd biggest tribe when hausa and yoruba is on the map ? its impossible. only reason is they are recent migrants in the last 400 years. am telling you bro. reason the matter. the 3rd largest tribe not on the map ?
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by sukkot: 4:37pm On Aug 07, 2017
DerideGull:

There are too many airheads in the cesspit called Nigeria. The clueless bunch of nefarious maggots do not have any sense of critical approach to scratched images. In a work such as the map, the onlooker should have asked who was the cartographer and did the sketcher have any ulterior motives? The British and most Europeans have no credibility in anything Nigeria as long as Igbo person is involved.
and what exactly do europeans and british have against igbo ?
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by DerideGull(m): 4:42pm On Aug 07, 2017
sukkot:
and what exactly do europeans and british have against igbo ?

Please go and consult your history text books. It has manifested in every phase of our lives in Nigeria. In addition, Ndigbo are not from Nigeria as you would want us to believe and yet the resolute intention of Ndigbo to vacate the cesspit called Nigeria has triggered all forms of idiotic behaviors in most Nigerians including this silly post.
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by sukkot: 4:44pm On Aug 07, 2017
DerideGull:

Please go and consult your history text books. It has manifested in every phase of our lives in Nigeria. In addition, Ndigbo are not from Nigeria as you would want us to believe and yet the resolute intention of Ndigbo to vacate the cesspit called Nigeria has triggered all forms of idiotic behaviors in most Nigerians including this silly post.
stop being paranoid. the europeans and british do not care about igbo enough to hate you. like are you a threat to them ? are you a military or economic threat ? please dont make me laff oooo lol
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by ivolt: 4:46pm On Aug 07, 2017
sukkot:
those maps are drawn up by europeans and they are impartial. they send their agents to these villages and ask for the names of the people and they put it on the map. the map areas are not determined by the indigenous people, its europeans who drew up the map. so the fact that igbo was not included in that map at that time tells me they never existed as of that time. i believe that map is 400 or so years old. and yes as you said, most nigerian tribes were not included but these are small tribes. the igbo is the 3rd largest tribe for chrissakes. how do you leave out the 3rd biggest tribe when hausa and yoruba is on the map ? its impossible. only reason is they are recent migrants in the last 400 years. am telling you bro. reason the matter. the 3rd largest tribe not on the map ?

Sorry to burst your bubble, it is in the interest of europeans to be partial in colonial times.
They were not in Africa for altruistic purpose, they were here for business.

Anyway, there are solid reference of Igbos in pre-1800s Nigeria.
As you know the only way to prove a theory is to gather evidence,
just one map will not do.

A quick study of Nigeria's Atlantic slave trade will clear your doubt.

1 Like

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by sukkot: 4:49pm On Aug 07, 2017
ivolt:

Sorry to burst your bubble, it is in the interest of europeans to be partial in colonial times.
They were not in Africa for altruistic purpose, they were here for business.

Anyway, there are solid reference of Igbos in pre-1800s Nigeria.
As you know the only way to prove a theory is to gather evidence,
just one map will not do.

A quick study of Nigeria's Atlantic slave trade will clear your doubt.
partial when drawing a map ? come on dude lol. and the slave trade only kicked into full gear in the 1700s and i have looked at the slave names and most of the names i saw there was yoruba. if i find the list of slave names i will put it in the thread. i did not see one single igbo name. i swear to YAH
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by DerideGull(m): 4:50pm On Aug 07, 2017
sukkot:
stop being paranoid. the europeans and british do not care about igbo enough to hate you. like are you a threat to them ? are you a military or economic threat ? please dont make me laff oooo lol

You are already laughing at your ignorance. It was not even a dumbass Nigerian that declared that Biafra will not stand but an idiotic British Prime Minister. I really do not know if I should call you a boy or something else.
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by sukkot: 4:55pm On Aug 07, 2017
DerideGull:

You are already laughing at your ignorance. It was not even a dumbass Nigerian that declared that Biafra will not stand but an idiotic British Prime Minister. I really do not know if I should call you a boy or something else.
biafra happened because nzeogwu killed northern leaders. what has british and europeans got to do with that ?

2 Likes

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by ivolt: 4:59pm On Aug 07, 2017
sukkot:
partial when drawing a map ? come on dude lol. and the slave trade only kicked into full gear in the 1700s and i have looked at the slave names and most of the names i saw there was yoruba. if i find the list of slave names i will put it in the thread. i did not see one single igbo name. i swear to YAH

Check this wikipedia article, don't just read the article,
please endeavour to follow the references.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_people_in_the_Atlantic_slave_trade
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by DerideGull(m): 5:00pm On Aug 07, 2017
sukkot:

Are this slow? There was a map of Nigeria that has been circulated on this forum with places such backwater places such as Ogbomosho, Ota, Ibadan and few craps from northern region yet there was not even a single capital city from southeast such as Enugu, Owerri, Umuahia, Awka or Abakaliki on the silly map. It is unfortunate you are hopelessly uninformed that an author decides what is written in a book.
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by sukkot: 5:00pm On Aug 07, 2017
ivolt:

i just did and i didnt even have to read past 2 lines. the igbo slaves were from the bight of biafra and bonny region. that is CAMEROON. case closed lol

1 Like

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by sukkot: 5:03pm On Aug 07, 2017
DerideGull:

Are this slow? There was a map of Nigeria that has been circulated on this forum with places such backwater places such as Ogbomosho, Ota, Ibadan and few craps from northern region yet there was not even a single capital city from southeast such as Enugu, Owerri, Umuahia, Awka or Abakaliki on the silly map. It is unfortunate you are hopelessly uninformed that an author decides what is written in a book.
listen ? this is where your people come from. look at this 1700 map >>> this was before you mass migrated into nigeria in the 1700s

1 Like

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by sukkot: 5:08pm On Aug 07, 2017
ivolt:

another map showing you where igbo slaves were picked from. this is the original biafra. the original igboland. keep in mind these maps are from european records of the 1700s. in cameroon. which explains why they were not in the nigerian map at that time . bight of biafra is cameroon territory. look at that map well. bight of biafra is cameroon.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by TheKingdom: 5:16pm On Aug 07, 2017
I see Nigger Territories on that map, hence the Nigger Area, meaning Black (dumb) and or dark (which is why there cant be constant light)
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by sukkot: 5:17pm On Aug 07, 2017
ivolt:

here is yet another old map showing you where biafra was. notice i have given you 3 old maps ? so i hope you are now clear as to why igbos were not on 1700 nigerian map. its because they were still in cameroon and hadnt mass migrated to nigeria yet. i suspect during the slave trade era is when they all start running into nigeria and in no time SE nigeria became their hub

1 Like

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by ivolt: 5:52pm On Aug 07, 2017
sukkot:
here is yet another old map showing you where biafra was. notice i have given you 3 old maps ? so i hope you are now clear as to why igbos were not on 1700 nigerian map. its because they were still in cameroon and hadnt mass migrated to nigeria yet. i suspect during the slave trade era is when they all start running into nigeria and in no time SE nigeria became their hub

I would have written a long response but I am a bit busy now.
Please ponder on these two points:

Nri kingdom(in present day land-locked Anambra) was established in the 9th century : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Nri

Onitsha was established in the 1500s by Igbos who migrated from Benin not Cameroon : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onitsha

Finally, if your theory is right, you should aim to publish your findings in a reputable
history journal, since a mass migration of Igbos in the 1700-1800s will be such a big
discovery.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by sukkot: 5:54pm On Aug 07, 2017
ivolt:

I would have written a long response but I am a bit busy now.
Please ponder on these two points:

Nri kingdom(in present day land-locked Anambra) was established in the 9th century : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Nri

Onitsha was established in the 1500s by Igbos who migrated from Benin not Cameroon : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onitsha

Finally, if your theory is right, you should aim to publish your findings in a reputable
history journal, since a mass migration of Igbos in the 1700-1800s will be such a big
discovery.
bro i know you are not using wikipedia as a source right ? anybody can put an article up on wikipedia. provide primary source. see how i provided you 3 maps from the 1600s and 1700s ? give me primary source not wikipedia articles
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by Scholes007(m): 8:03pm On Aug 07, 2017
sukkot:
bro i know you are not using wikipedia as a source right ? anybody can put an article up on wikipedia. provide primary source. see how i provided you 3 maps from the 1600s and 1700s ? give me primary source not wikipedia articles
And what's the source of the map?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by sukkot: 8:29am On Aug 08, 2017
Scholes007:
And what's the source of the map?
from the world cartography archives
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by Nobody: 12:26pm On Sep 15, 2017
The Igbos immigrated from Australia. They are the displaced Australian aborigines who fled the war that saw the Brits decimate the aborigines and take over their land. We still do not know how they sailed across the oceans to Africa but we do know that they landed in South Africa before migrating all the up to Cameroon.
Losing nearly their entire population to the
tropical climate of their new found home which wasn't favorable to their then melanin deficient skin, it wasn't until they made a pact with Lucifer that their genetic make up was altered and they began to birth offsprings with climate appropriate melanin.
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by Heartbender: 2:26pm On Dec 23, 2017
How dumb can a post be? You're even seeing "Niger Territories" not Nigerian Territories and a place called "Niger coast" being the East (made up of South South and South East) and you're asking if Igbos are Nigerians. By your map, doesn't it literally mean the Igbos who are the people of the Niger Coast own all of Nigeria (which is termed Niger Territories)? Read history first, analyse with a historian and have sense

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Robbery Near National Stadium, Lagos; Over 30 Cars Vandalized / Senate President, Lawan Re-appoints Saraki’s Media Aide [see Other Appointees] / Amotekun: Femi Fani-kayode Slams Tinubu Over Statement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.