Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,983 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:26 PM

Should A Man Stay At Home And Look After The Kids? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should A Man Stay At Home And Look After The Kids? (2054 Views)

Video: Of The Kids Kissing In A Lagos Church Compound / I Guess This Is One Of The Reasons My Wife Must Not Be A Stay At Home Mum / Why Would A Man Stay In A Marriage If He Doesn't Love His Wife Anymore? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Man Stay At Home And Look After The Kids? by Grouppoint(m): 7:34pm On Feb 01, 2007
If the wife is a high income earner , say a medical doctor or Investment banker. The husbands career path was never going to bring in that much money.

Should a man stay at home and look after the kids, if the wife's income is significantly higher and it makes sense for one parent to nurture the children.

Would you as the husband insist on your wife giving up her career, and staying at home, while you go out and win the bread?
Re: Should A Man Stay At Home And Look After The Kids? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:36pm On Feb 01, 2007
If he wants to

what is with "should" in all these thread titles? People dont follow ONE line of reasoning you know.

If he feels like being there more for the kids while the wife take on the work aspect, why not?

should, wetin be should
Re: Should A Man Stay At Home And Look After The Kids? by Grouppoint(m): 7:43pm On Feb 01, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

If he wants to

what is with "should" in all these thread titles? People don't follow ONE line of reasoning you know.

If he feels like being there more for the kids while the wife take on the work aspect, why not?

should, wetin be should

If you are Nigerian, or African then you would know that culturally, the man is the bread winner. If you are a Christian, Muslim or Jew, the you would accept that the man is supposed to be the head of the home. It is not just a symbolic title.

Hence when one makes that decision, more than a few eyes questions arise, hence the term 'should'.
Re: Should A Man Stay At Home And Look After The Kids? by Coco29(f): 7:48pm On Feb 01, 2007
NO! it is impossible for a man to do that job, don't get me wrong they are needed, but when it comes to patience, understanding and empathy men just do not have these skill when dealing with children.

It is the womans place to raise the children, that is the reason they grow inside of her, and the fact that she can produce breast milk.

That being said in todays society were we are all living away from family and child care can be quite expensive and life in general can be difficult i think the man  ( can watch the kids until the woman comes home) if it needs to be done.
Re: Should A Man Stay At Home And Look After The Kids? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:53pm On Feb 01, 2007
kids not babies abi they feed 8 yr olds breastmilk on The Islands?

shame you're not Nigerian, Coco cos your "woman's place" trash would fit in with the sexist mentality of that nation.
Re: Should A Man Stay At Home And Look After The Kids? by Grouppoint(m): 7:54pm On Feb 01, 2007
But if it makes sense for the wife's to be the breadwinner, perhaps due to her career choice,  wouldnt it be right for the man to find a way to nurture the kids at home, while the wife brings home the bacon?

Or is it too shameful for a man's dignity to cook dinner and have it on the table before the wife gets back from a hard days work at the office?
Re: Should A Man Stay At Home And Look After The Kids? by Coco29(f): 8:20pm On Feb 01, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

kids not babies abi they feed 8 yr olds breastmilk on The Islands?

shame you're not Nigerian, Coco because your "woman's place" trash would fit in with the sexist mentality of that nation.

when you understand who you are and your place in this world then you will understand what i am saying.

a woman is more sensitive, emotionally stranger, and can deal with a lot more stress then men, because of the role she plays in the home.

i am not saying a womans place is in the home.  I am saying a woman place is to raise her children with love,

tolerance and understanding.

You fail to see that an 8 yr old is still a child, and need different, more demanding care than of a baby.

sweetie do you have children.? from yr out burst i take it you are still young.

once a woman decides to have children , she decides to put her life on hold, until she has done her job. I.E teaching them to be good citizens and the morals of society, all this has to be done with love and understanding, with the help of their father ofcourse

it is attitude like this, why relationships run into problems, because we are to busy being in control by trying to move a way from the "woman's place"
Re: Should A Man Stay At Home And Look After The Kids? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:50pm On Feb 01, 2007
so that's why your relationship ran into problems? or what are you talking about

Im just saying you're kinda painting men with ONE brush. Maybe nigerian men cheesy can be but others shouldnt. Some are more caring and senstive then some women to be honest, if he feels he'd be better for taking care of a kid than a career orientated wife then why not?

you really need to realize that NOT all women fit a certain mode that most of the world would like to put her in and not all men either.

either way it depends on the couple. That's really all that is to it
Re: Should A Man Stay At Home And Look After The Kids? by Coco29(f): 8:56pm On Feb 01, 2007
you reminds me of myself a while back.

i choose not the speak to anyone on NL who behave the way you do.

I do not dislike you, just your attitude.

have a nice night sweetie kiss
Re: Should A Man Stay At Home And Look After The Kids? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:59pm On Feb 01, 2007
typical way of dodging a question. you might actually have some Naija blood in your veins with the way you respond at times

Ciao!  cheesy
Re: Should A Man Stay At Home And Look After The Kids? by Radiant(f): 9:32pm On Feb 01, 2007
Grouppoint:

If the wife is a high income earner , say a medical doctor or Investment banker. The husbands career path was never going to bring in that much money.

Should a man stay at home and look after the kids, if the wife's income is significantly higher and it makes sense for one parent to nurture the children.

If they're "babies", it is better for a woman to stay around the babies (at least the child's first year of life)

Afterwards, either of the parents could do the job just fine! Some men are even better and more tolerant than some women. It makes much sense for both parents to nurture their kids when they can. If the woman earns more than the man and they both agree for the man to stay home, it's their own piece of cake. There's nothing wrong with that since a better income might mean a more comfortable life for a family. Both parents should nurture their kids whenever they have the time.

Grouppoint:

Would you as the husband insist on your wife giving up her career

This I don't understand!
Re: Should A Man Stay At Home And Look After The Kids? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:40pm On Feb 01, 2007
kiss

good to see commonsense is back.

hello love! smiley
Re: Should A Man Stay At Home And Look After The Kids? by Radiant(f): 9:46pm On Feb 01, 2007
lmao

Tiffy Darling kiss kiss kiss
Re: Should A Man Stay At Home And Look After The Kids? by mamaput(f): 10:55pm On Feb 01, 2007
Some men are the better mothers.
A woman like that can afford a day care but I think the kids are better off at home with the dad than in a Day care.
A woman with a very good job should not give it up.
A man may not iron well or clean well or even cook well but that is not what counts for children not at 8. and if they are much older and the state of the house is not good enough for them they can clean it up themselves.
Re: Should A Man Stay At Home And Look After The Kids? by Grouppoint(m): 10:02am On Feb 02, 2007
I noticed that most of those that have contributed are based overseas.

Is it possible that the Nigeria-based women feel that their men would not even entertain the suggestion?

Pls Naija based men, would you accept to take on the role of House-husband if your wife is a higher income earner?
Re: Should A Man Stay At Home And Look After The Kids? by NiteAngel(m): 12:25am On Feb 27, 2007
I'm created to inspire the world; my home will be the beginning. I have 2 friends who've done this. I was surprised to learn that one of them actually earned more than the wife but he wasn't as happy as the wife was at her job so he opted to take care of the children (in 9ja kids are small goats) who are in their teenage years. He doesn't sit at home waiting for his wife's pay check, he does (contact) jobs that makes his time more flexible. This has also given the wife an opportunity to reach the apex of her career. One thing that inspires me is that he has not in any way lost his place as the man. He has won the admiration of his children and love of his wife.
Re: Should A Man Stay At Home And Look After The Kids? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:55pm On Feb 27, 2007
That sounds cool, Nite Angel. Unfortunately I myself never heard of any Nigerian guy partaking in such.
Re: Should A Man Stay At Home And Look After The Kids? by nikynike(f): 12:24pm On Mar 06, 2007
Yes now which can question be that? He has to take care of his children whenever there is need for that.
Thats if he doesn't have a job to do. Not when he has something doing.
Re: Should A Man Stay At Home And Look After The Kids? by agnesoseka: 2:13pm On Mar 17, 2007
Nigeria men make una Learn frm Lynette Scavo's Hussy, LoL,
Re: Should A Man Stay At Home And Look After The Kids? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:02pm On Mar 17, 2007
^ Lol I personally love her husband

(1) (Reply)

Why Do The Teens In America Commit Suicide? / You Must See This If You Love Your Mother(pics) / Men's Wonders Tea That Ensures Natural Sexual Fitness In Bed: An appraisal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.