Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,545 members, 7,809,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:55 PM

Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer (11288 Views)

My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me / Dear Employer, Have You Seen Neymar New Salary Breakdown? – Nigerian / List Of Things You Are Entitled To By Law From Your Employer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by code9(m): 6:36pm On Jun 14, 2017
I am in the midst of applying for a new job. I have interviewed three times with a prospective employer and have been told that I am one of the final candidates for the position.

The HR rep contacted me and asked if they can contact my current manager/supervisor for a reference. I explained that I would prefer they not contact my manager, since it may jeopardize my standing with my current employer. They keep insisting that they speak with my current manager, but I am afraid that if they do, my current employer may let me go in layoffs or attempt to force me out of the job somehow (i.e., re-assign, transfer, etc).

Am I obligated to provide the reference to the prospective employer? I feel that their insistence is unprofessional and inappropriate. What if they contact my employer and end up not offering me the job? Or what if I don’t accept the job offer? What is the best way to handle this without losing either job?

Please do the needful wink

2 Likes

Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by Abduljohn(m): 6:58pm On Jun 14, 2017
I understand your fear but its still boils down to the relationship between you and your present boss. In my case my boss actually wishes us well and encourage us to exploit the environment. If you have confidence in yourself I advise allow them am sure it ll even add to chance.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by Ore000: 7:25pm On Jun 14, 2017
it boils down to which job do u really want.choose one and choose wisely

1 Like

Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by DeadPresident(m): 9:27pm On Jun 14, 2017

It boils down to They will call your current employer and at the end of the day you don't get the job, what do you think your current employer would do after you unsuccessfully tried to leave his company ?? He will fire you

Now, you don't have a job with your current employer and the people who put you in that situation didn't give you a job too

The next thing you would do is to start creating a threads on Nairaland. "i need help, i can't feed my family" "i need help, i can't pay my bills"

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by AntiWailer: 9:27pm On Jun 14, 2017
I dnt gerit. Ok let me assume you are not LIEING.

In a sensible organization, reference would be gotten from your former employer after they have already employed you.

I will advise you don't join this organization.They seem to be thinking upside down.

Why will they contact your current employer on top how much increment ?

I have done a double pay (100% increase in salary) movement before and did not have to go through the trauma they are putting you through right now.

If they contact your current employer, trust me it is risky for ur career. They might not employ you and your current employer will already doubt your loyalty.

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by 0b100100111: 9:28pm On Jun 14, 2017
What's the debate here, tender it!

Any sane company knows at some point u have to move-on!

It's no crime at all!
Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by auntysimbiat(f): 9:28pm On Jun 14, 2017
Do wat is right.. Cowards are not achievers..
Risk taking is part of good life
Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by awonwerey: 9:28pm On Jun 14, 2017
undecided

Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by joshingjosh(m): 9:28pm On Jun 14, 2017
When I go become FTC self??...these people self
Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by DICKtator: 9:28pm On Jun 14, 2017
grin grin grin grin
Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by LastSurvivor11: 9:29pm On Jun 14, 2017
Savages in the name HRs
What if you didn't eventually get the job??

4 Likes

Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by Sunofgod(m): 9:30pm On Jun 14, 2017
Get one of your colleagues to pretend to be your boss.

Just give hr his or her email address and mobile number.

Trust me when i say.....It works grin

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by saasala(m): 9:30pm On Jun 14, 2017
Go and forge a letter na

And be ready to join Nnamdi Kanu in jail when he gets arrested again
Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by Omotayor123(f): 9:31pm On Jun 14, 2017
Abeg what's the name of the company??
They are acting like New bee!

Before you consider allowing them, first ascertain:

1.How much they are willing to pay you
2. Is the employment sure
3. Is the job secure?

if the answer are positive. you can give it a shot.

Good Luck.
Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by free2ryhme: 9:31pm On Jun 14, 2017
code9:
I am in the midst of applying for a new job. I have interviewed three times with a prospective employer and have been told that I am one of the final candidates for the position.

The HR rep contacted me and asked if they can contact my current manager/supervisor for a reference. I explained that I would prefer they not contact my manager, since it may jeopardize my standing with my current employer. They keep insisting that they speak with my current manager, but I am afraid that if they do, my current employer may let me go in layoffs or attempt to force me out of the job somehow (i.e., re-assign, transfer, etc).

Am I obligated to provide the reference to the prospective employer? I feel that their insistence is unprofessional and inappropriate. What if they contact my employer and end up not offering me the job? Or what if I don’t accept the job offer? What is the best way to handle this without losing either job?

you are lying, guy

1 Like

Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jun 14, 2017
HMMM

WILL HE BE WILLING TO APPROVE YOU?

Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by angelawoko(m): 9:31pm On Jun 14, 2017
Totally Unprofessional. It is not ethical.

2 Likes

Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by free2ryhme: 9:32pm On Jun 14, 2017
code9:

NO HR will insist on calling your reference since you object

guy stop lying

Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by phemflex90(m): 9:32pm On Jun 14, 2017
let them call ur manager, don't be afraid
Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 9:33pm On Jun 14, 2017
code9:

HR is not your friend my friend.
You currently have a job and they are in effect trying to poach you. Why should you jeopardize your present employment without anything tangible to show ?
You are right. It is an unprofessional and inappropriate request.
Your meetings with them up to a legal offer of appointment should be confidential.

5 Likes

Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by yomalex(m): 9:34pm On Jun 14, 2017
Not Okay
Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by MisterGrace: 9:37pm On Jun 14, 2017
shocked
Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by everyman: 9:38pm On Jun 14, 2017
As someone said above, talk to your boss about it, regardless of your relationship.

In the work place, it is essential that you communicate with your employer and be forward about it. A lot of people appreciate honesty.

But if you are too sceptical to try, you can let the opportunity slide.

You never can tell for sure unless you try.
Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by Nathan2016: 9:40pm On Jun 14, 2017
Sunofgod:
Get one of your colleagues to pretend to be your boss.

Just give hr his or her email address and mobile number.

It works grin

Atleast someone that have a brain has spoken... I really dont know why people are so dumb!!!

In your current employment, you dont have a collegue that is a bit higher than you, hes your boss, or even equal to you, can still be your boss....You better play smart... Tis is Nigeria, not USA

4 Likes

Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by jayloms: 9:41pm On Jun 14, 2017
D first three comments tho.... U guys are just "boiling down" upandan. smiley

4 Likes

Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by kizygist: 9:42pm On Jun 14, 2017
What actually count here is which of the job do you really want? Because you can't keep the both of them
Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by LexngtonSteele: 9:43pm On Jun 14, 2017
Go be!
Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by 1wolex85: 9:44pm On Jun 14, 2017
Totally unacceptable! They can get their reference after they offer you the job. Stand your ground and if they insist, forget them

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by ruffhandu: 9:46pm On Jun 14, 2017
I don't think it's OK. They should contact him after they have hired you, that's conventional. You may end up losing at both ends if they do now. Cheers!
Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by banmee(m): 9:48pm On Jun 14, 2017
0b100100111:
What's the debate here, tender it!

Any sane company knows at some point u have to move-on!

It's no crime at all!

No normal company would ask you to get references from your current employer. It is just not standard practice. Previous employer i get but your current one? That's insane.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by Orpe7(m): 9:48pm On Jun 14, 2017
Eleyi gidi gan.
In other news,

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It / Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase / Is ISPON A Recognized Institute?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.