Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,346 members, 7,780,927 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 05:39 AM

Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. (13059 Views)

Hannah Reuben Wins Silver Medal At The 2019 African Wrestling / Nigeria U-15 Wins Silver At African Youth Games, Loses 3-1 To Morocco In Final / Wrestling: Nigeria’s Adekuoroye Wins Silver At World Championship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by naptu2: 5:39am On Jun 15, 2017
Los Angeles 1984 Olympics

What a throwback! I watched this fight live with my dad in 1984 and we felt that Konyegwachi should have won. It was very close, but I felt that Taylor won the first round, while Konyegwachi won the second and third rounds. This should have been Nigeria's first Olympic gold medal. (I thought that Taylor won because he had the home advantage).

In my opinion, Konyegwachie was more mobile and landed more punches (he injured Taylor above the eye), while Taylor landed the heavier punches (I believe that he was looking for a knockout) and was too static.

I've been searching for this clip for a long time because I wanted to confirm that I was right in 1984. I still think that Konyegwachi should have won, but it now appears closer than I thought it was in the heat of the moment in 1984. What do you think?

Los Angeles 1984 Olympic Games Boxing 57kg Final
Meldrick Taylor (USA) v Peter Konyegwachie (NGR)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL9TX_UNhVI

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by naptu2: 5:42am On Jun 15, 2017
LA '84 was a relatively good Olympics for Nigeria. We also won bronze in the 4x400 relay (Innocent Egbunike, Rotimi Peters, Sunday Uti and Moses Ugbusien).

Seoul '88 was a disaster and we didn't achieve success again until Barcelona '92.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by naptu2: 5:42am On Jun 15, 2017
Tags: Ishilove, caveatemptor, johnie, joseph1832, DanseMacabre, stagger, kannymoore
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by Adamsdelrio(m): 5:49am On Jun 15, 2017
1984? And the OP watched it live with his father? The OP is not our mate at all. Good morning sir, Mr Naptu2.... cheesy

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by decatalyst(m): 6:03am On Jun 15, 2017
Adamsdelrio:
1984? And the OP watched it live with his father? The OP is not our mate at all. Good morning sir, Mr Naptu2.... cheesy

You are to call op "UNCLE" and seek his advise on politics and every bit of the economy.

We can deductively say that Op is one of the reasons this country dey as e be grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by Nobody: 6:40am On Jun 15, 2017
The Labour of our Heoroes past shall never be in vain.
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by Akshow: 7:02am On Jun 15, 2017
Good ol days
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by Tinjan: 7:03am On Jun 15, 2017
Ok
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by NwaAmaikpe: 7:04am On Jun 15, 2017
shocked

Nice one naptu2

Peter Konyegwachie and Innocent Egbunike stole the headlines back then and were like heroes.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by Sunofgod(m): 7:05am On Jun 15, 2017
When Nigeria was great..
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by kingreign(m): 7:05am On Jun 15, 2017
naptu2:
Los Angeles 1984 Olympics

What a throwback! I watched this fight live with my dad in 1984 and we felt that Konyegwachi should have won. It was very close, but I felt that Taylor won the first round, while Konyegwachi won the second and third rounds. This should have been Nigeria's first Olympic gold medal. (I thought that Taylor won because he had the home advantage).

In my opinion, Konyegwachie was more mobile and landed more punches (he injured Taylor above the eye), while Taylor landed the heavier punches (I believe that he was looking for a knockout) and was too static.

I've been searching for this clip for a long time because I wanted to confirm that I was right in 1984. I still think that Konyegwachi should have won, but it now appears closer than I thought it was in the heat of the moment in 1984. What do you think?

Los Angeles 1984 Olympic Games Boxing 57kg Final
Meldrick Taylor (USA) v Peter Konyegwachie (NGR)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL9TX_UNhVI
uncle naptu2 good morning Sir

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by opedaydydx9(m): 7:05am On Jun 15, 2017
Chai I be baby den o, for inside womb
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by bestman09(m): 7:06am On Jun 15, 2017
Good old days. I also watched it live then. Bendel state was then the number one sporting state. BTW, where is Peter Konyegwachie and Davidson Ande now?

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by dayleke: 7:07am On Jun 15, 2017
Nigeria shall be great again.....

1 Like

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by crazyABO(m): 7:08am On Jun 15, 2017
Mehn we get some idols for NL wey need sacrifice once in a while grin

2 Likes

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by chisomdestiny: 7:08am On Jun 15, 2017
OP good morning SIR grin
Nah Anthony Joshua & Mayweather we knowgrin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by Roon9(m): 7:10am On Jun 15, 2017
Jesu! So OP as at 1982 you are old enough to even understand boxing? Migwor Sir grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by Nobody: 7:11am On Jun 15, 2017
bet9ja agent account for sale asap contact 08038905386 serious buyer alone pls
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by Tolexander: 7:11am On Jun 15, 2017
Adamsdelrio:
That is a living legend you have to salute while prostrating!

Sir Naptu2!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by AreaFada2: 7:11am On Jun 15, 2017
Naptu you try. You can join Elders Council.

Sure it was very close. I have not watched your new clip.

But everyone knew only a knockout could make Konyegwashi win. If it was a professional bout, Konyegwashi could have managed a TKO over the rounds. Because of his agility/ability though he might have tired out quicker.

Sadly we could not build on boxing enthusiasm that followed among kids because of Konyegwashi.

3 Likes

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by buchilino(m): 7:12am On Jun 15, 2017
DOSE YEARS PPLE DID SPORTS 4 D GLORY, NOWADAYS, IT'S MORE OF MONEY.

1 Like

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by kayzat: 7:12am On Jun 15, 2017
decatalyst:

We can deductively say that Op is one of the reasons this country dey as e be grin

Elder naptu2
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by wiloy2k8(m): 7:12am On Jun 15, 2017
Hhmmmmm Op ....
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by Adamsdelrio(m): 7:14am On Jun 15, 2017
decatalyst:

You are to call op "UNCLE" and seek his advise on politics and every bit of the economy.

cheesycheesy
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by boolet: 7:14am On Jun 15, 2017
Bros you don tey oo grin
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by johnie: 7:15am On Jun 15, 2017
decatalyst:

It is very unfair to heap Nigeria's woes on our generation.

On the contrary, you should 'pity' us.

If you witnessed the 'good times' gradually turn into what we have now and you have no control over the decline, you would appreciate how frustrating it is!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by johnie: 7:17am On Jun 15, 2017
bestman09:
Good old days. I also watched it live then. Bendel state was then the number one sporting state. BTW, where is Peter Konyegwachie and Davidson Ande now?

Davidson Ande is dead.

I don't know about Konyegwachie.

1 Like

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by Pavore9: 7:18am On Jun 15, 2017
Did watch it on our black and white Sanyo TV! cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by Agbafs2005(m): 7:19am On Jun 15, 2017
Pls welcome me back from exile. grin
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by DanseMacabre(m): 7:19am On Jun 15, 2017
Thanks, naptu2, once again. I think, based on points, Konyegwachie won this one. No be today dem start dey do us 'partial'.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cristiano Ronaldo Has Now Scored 160 Career Penaltykick Goals In All Competition / 98% Sure Odd / Arturo Vidal Fined For Munich Nightclub Fight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.