Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,782 members, 7,806,169 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:22 PM

What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? (7471 Views)

Reptile Found In Edo University's Engineering Workshop / Engineering Students Of Ambrose Alli University Rock Arab Apparel For Graduation / Why Exactly Are State Universities On ASUU Strike? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by Bahddo(m): 8:55pm On Jun 15, 2017
Pretty much the same thing every other set of Nigerian university or polytechnic undergraduates are doing in school - getting a degree in a country that focuses on degrees instead of ability.

Don't pretend there's any part of the Nigerian education system that isn't a joke.

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jun 15, 2017
adedolapo189:
there is a big difference my brother engineers design and the technician carry out the project. Engineers are not trained to be like technician, engineers are expected to know more than the technician. Y do u think all the all the blames goes to the engineers and not the technician after a failed project?
you haven't answered my question.

What do you mean by one design and the other carry out? Nonsense. Keep consoling yourselves on inability to function in your fields.
Google electrical engineering.

Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by DanseMacabre(m): 9:01pm On Jun 15, 2017
Admittedly, the Nigerian educational system is in free fall, but I'm of the opinion that polytechnic Engineering graduates are better, or to avoid the ire of some who feel otherwise, at least more practical than their university counterparts.

4 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by Erums(m): 9:08pm On Jun 15, 2017
adedolapo189:
What you guyz cant understand is that we are trained to design not to do those menial job. We are not technician! i repeat we are not technician! We are engineers!

Oya come and design a car engine.... U cant even design a bicycle engine... Nonsense talk... Be blind... U tink naija is america

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by felictorx: 9:23pm On Jun 15, 2017
durentchigozie:
You're an electrical engineering graduate, you cant wire a house.
You're a mech engineering graduate, you can't fix your car.

They keep shouting "engineering" when their skulls is filled with only abstract. Back then in school, they didn't let us hear word "Engineering is a profressional course" bla bla bla.
Every parent wants at least one of their kids to be an engineer. As an engineering student, You look down on physical sciences (chemistry, maths et al). We all know what the physical sciences are bringing to the table, what are engineering students bringing to the table? Other than eyeing one Oil company job, they wouldn't still get after graduation.

Even the roadsides are better than the ones littered around campus with shoulders raised claiming engine boys.

Engineering in Nigeria is a joke, quote me anywhere.
In my school, nobody gives a hoot about them.. Eberybody running after passing
Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by NLbully(m): 10:02pm On Jun 15, 2017
Go and meet a computer engineer let him scatter your head with computer hardware

3 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by obyrich(m): 10:05pm On Jun 15, 2017
Another one! OP kindly visit any 330KV transmission station with that guy who wired your house and test his knowledge of electrical power and equipment. Charlatans everywhere. You do not need a degree in Engineering to wire a house but to install and maintain a 150MVA transformer,you must be a skilled engineer.

Ask that guy that wired your house what is called 'load balancing'.

I do not blame you guys but the useless corruption in Nigeria that allows a drug dispenser to be called a doctor!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by obyrich(m): 10:10pm On Jun 15, 2017
NLbully:
Go and meet a computer engineer let him scatter your head with computer hardware
Don't mind the OP. I don't know how he wants to compare the curriculum of trade test certificate with that of an engineering degree.

It's people like the OP that will award contract to construct a high rise building to a mason and turn around and blame engineers when they hear that the building has collapsed!

Charlatans everywhere.

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by sevantex(m): 10:12pm On Jun 15, 2017
op, u know the answer to ur question already so quit the sarcasm shii

The Nigerian educational system is flawed already so its not about engineers alone. Theories and abstracts are what lecturers focuse on with little to no exposure to practicals, wat can u do than study to pass and go out to equip urself more.

You shuldnt be attacking engineering students on a thread when they spend night and day studying to graduate with good grades in this "blessed" country. Also, engineers and technicians aren't exactly same but work together

i am not an engineer btw but this cuts across most fields in schools, u still need to go out and dev urself more.
Free them abeg

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by BrutusOj(m): 10:20pm On Jun 15, 2017
Ayocom123:
I don't understand this OP,we are not technicians for GOD sake,we design equipment with specifications,our work is on the paper dishing out instructions to the technicians and not us doing the labour,however in a failed society like we have it here,every dick n harry is called engineer
Smiles. Some people even disturb a Physicist about his inability to do the job of a technician( e.g wiring)
Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by johnmars(m): 10:50pm On Jun 15, 2017
I'm a 200level engin boy UNIBEN and I'm already learning programming and taking some short courses online to develop a new skill why? All they teach engineering is trash! Imagine solving maths and reading dry books to be a qualified engineer. Carry drawing board every Thursday and draw till 6pm to be a qualified engineer. I swear it's all self deception. Engineering student needs to wake up call they know nothing .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by Vctr: 10:52pm On Jun 15, 2017
Here in Nigeria, engineering (of ANY discipline) is a complete waste of time and money... The course is needlessly rigorous for no bleeping reason, other than the "name" attached to it... Most of them, after graduation(they seldomly go for PG degrees) end up as MEDIOCRE technicians, or at most designers!!
It is so annoying when this guys (eng'g students) compare themselves with guys in physical sciences faculty, MEN who do the REAL DEAL.
Funny thing is that they(eng'g stds) are bleeping outdated in the courses they take. All they do is display arrogance on campus.
Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jun 15, 2017
durentchigozie:
menial jobs indeed.

What are the difference between technicians and engineers?!

U Wont Knw Na, Google Abt Engr Cadre, We Make, We Can Repair But If We Start, They Wont Survive, So We Left Dat For Dem To Meet Ends Meet. Can U Even Be Able To Afford An Electrical Engr Working In A Firm To Fix Ur Gadget?
Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by Nobody: 11:02pm On Jun 15, 2017
onuhabel1:

U Wont Knw Na, Google Abt Engr Cadre, We Make, We Can Repair But If We Start, They Wont Survive, So We Left Dat For Dem To Meet Ends Meet. Can U Even Be Able To Afford An Electrical Engr Working In A Firm To Fix Ur Gadget?
i rather take my gadgets to road sides than engineering graduates.

I still can't find you guys relevance yet.
Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by Midumighty(m): 11:06pm On Jun 15, 2017
na xo one guy give me work to do cum dey claim say he study electrical engineer, i said brother y can't u do it he said he is sick.i didn't finish d work dat day he said he will call me.1month later,he called dat i shud cum nd see him. When i get there he has burn all d wire in his house because he want to do the remaining work by doing wat he doesn't av knowledge about.
Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by Nobody: 11:06pm On Jun 15, 2017
Ikennablue:
This is a very disgraceful thing to say. Shame! An engineer saying he cn't fix his car, wire his house or fix his gen because he is trained to design. Shame!

If We Have D Tools, We Can Do Them, Having D Tools Is Highly Dependent On Ur Work At Ur Office, Dnt Expect A Mech. Engr Working At The Production Unit Of A Company To Be Able To Fix Car, Our Country Caused Everything, Had It Been Every Bdy Is Working In His/her Field....... Only D Mech. Engr U Cud Say Much Abt, Elect. Will Fix It Very Well, Civil Wil Tel U Construction Flaws, Chem, Petro Etc
Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by Nobody: 11:16pm On Jun 15, 2017
durentchigozie:
i rather take my gadgets to road sides than engineering graduates.

I still can't find you guys relevance yet.

Technicians Are Just Given Menial Jobs To Meet Ends, Can U Ever Think Dat A Technician Can Wire Presidential Villa, Can They Ever B Given Opportunity To Wire A House Built By J. Berger? No Way! Big Work Is Done By Engrs. And Those With The Working Experience Can Fix Their Home

3 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by Ayocom123(m): 11:39pm On Jun 15, 2017
onuhabel1:

Technicians Are Just Given Menial Jobs To Meet Ends, Can U Ever Think Dat A Technician Can Wire Presidential Villa, Can They Ever B Given Opportunity To Wire A House Built By J. Berger? No Way! Big Work Is Done By Engrs. And Those With The Working Experience Can Fix Their Home

You are very correct jare,have you ever seen a technician head a big firm, nope kolework I think those shouting that engineering shouldn't exist as a course are jealous because their course isn't recognized GLOBALLY,everywhere in the world engineering is well respected,and even came as the most difficult course in the world.It's not for dullards,I rest my case

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by cortix(m): 12:01am On Jun 16, 2017
I see another op who is angry about his course of study..I guess you aimed to study engineering but it never worked out and you're looking for supporters to justify your feeling

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by LeonMacJames(m): 12:08am On Jun 16, 2017
durentchigozie:

They keep shouting "engineering" when their skulls is filled with only abstract. Back then in school, they didn't let us hear word "Engineering is a profressional course" bla bla bla.
Every parent wants at least one of their kids to be an engineer. As an engineering student, You look down on physical sciences (chemistry, maths et al). We all know what the physical sciences are bringing to the table, what are engineering students bringing to the table? Other than eyeing one Oil company job, they wouldn't still get after graduation.

Even the roadsides are better than the ones littered around campus with shoulders raised claiming engine boys.

I'll be here to Prove you wrong, Ogah Marvin Austin (Civil Engineering aspirant) kindly remember that name.

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by Nobody: 12:12am On Jun 16, 2017
LeonMacJames:
I'll be here to Prove you wrong, Oh gin A.in (Civil Engineering aspirant) kindly remember that name.
aspirant? Pls go and sit down. And remove your name from an online forum for your privacy sake.
Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by Nobody: 12:15am On Jun 16, 2017
cortix:
I see another op who is angry about his course of study..I guess you aimed to study engineering but it never worked out and you're looking for supporters to justify your feeling
nah. I always wanted to study Chemistry and I did.
Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by LeonMacJames(m): 12:17am On Jun 16, 2017
durentchigozie:
aspirant? Pls go and sit down. And remove your name from an online forum for your privacy sake.
Lolz, Only time will tell, until then lemme look for where to sit down. grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by pacino26(m): 12:37am On Jun 16, 2017
johnmars:
I'm a 200level engin boy UNIBEN and I'm already learning programming and taking some short courses online to develop a new skill why? All they teach engineering is trash! Imagine solving maths and reading dry books to be a qualified engineer. Carry drawing board every Thursday and draw till 6pm to be a qualified engineer. I swear it's all self deception. Engineering student needs to wake up call they know nothing .

Genius spotted. cool cool cool

Now to the topic. We're educated in Nigeria just to "FOLLOW, AID, ASSIST" the whites. That explains why India had to shove the British curriculum brought to her back to the Palace.

The term "Graduate Trainee" further sheds light on my point as you're not shown what to do to "assist" mostly inspection and reporting. Only a few are experienced to suggest and implement corrective action in the field. The rest just cry back to mummy in the office.

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by greenmonk: 12:51am On Jun 16, 2017
onuhabel1:

If We Have D Tools, We Can Do Them, Having D Tools Is Highly Dependent On Ur Work At Ur Office, Dnt Expect A Mech. Engr Working At The Production Unit Of A Company To Be Able To Fix Car, Our Country Caused Everything, Had It Been Every Bdy Is Working In His/her Field....... Only D Mech. Engr U Cud Say Much Abt, Elect. Will Fix It Very Well, Civil Wil Tel U Construction Flaws, Chem, Petro Etc
Is dat why you are typing with sh*t?
Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by LarryBeryl(m): 1:06am On Jun 16, 2017
johnp2:
Which part of planent are you coming from

When next you want to create a tread! Be specific and get your fact and figure!!
You don't know what you are talking about!!!

*Cross leg and sips alomo*

Facts..........which are kiss
Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by Nobody: 2:39am On Jun 16, 2017
durentchigozie:

Dude, obviously you don't know sh*t about engineering, it's never a job of Electrical engineer to be doing wiring, that's why we have technicians. In the simplest of terms, an engineer is a problem solver. They take basic science information and use the rules of mathematics to solve problems and design new products. Technicians are the "doers." They are workers that are highly trained to perform specific tasks. They generally follow procedures developed by engineers.
It works like that everywhere not peculiar to Nigerian. Read up and grow up man.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by telim: 4:00am On Jun 16, 2017
It is better you learn a skill than to waste your time to study engineering in any of the useless universities we have in Nigeria. Technician are a million times better than the useless engineering lectures and graduate in Nigerian universities that knows nothing but cram outdated theories plagiarized by the useless lecturers without basic practical skills.

A lot of them claim they design systems but unfortunately even Nigerian engr proffs that often plagiarized books are nothing but quacks that are just interested in stipends they get from the government as salary and areas, they can't design any system it is all lies and even if they do it is something that is absolute basic.

If you want to study engineering just travel to tear one country or else just learn a skill on Lynda, tutsplus etc if your parents are poor.

IF YOU WANT TO WASTE YOUR TIME, HAVE ZERO SKILL, GAMBLE WITH YOUR FUTURE, LEAVE IN DECEPTION THEN STUDY ENGINEERING IN NIGERIA.

The government knows Nigerian engineers are certified quacks that is why they depends on cheap expertraits from Lebanon, Chinese, Bangladesh and India for any big projects.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by Nobody: 4:31am On Jun 16, 2017
johnmars:
Are you really an engineering student?
Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by savagefinder: 5:23am On Jun 16, 2017
Chuukwudi:
The system is bad. One can't give what he doesn't have.
Take our lecturers for instance. We are graded by our ability to pass exams. Engineering students are very good at passing exams not in the real engineering.

There are few exceptions though.

2.1, 3rd class and 'pass' graduates are sometimes more practically involved than the 1st class.

Our system is terrible.

I'm an Electronic/Computer Engineer.
our system is Challenging not terrible.. 99% of all of you aren't creative.. The creative ones settle for mediocrity

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by Lionbite(m): 5:39am On Jun 16, 2017
adedolapo189:
What you guyz cant understand is that we are trained to design not to do those menial job. We are not technician! i repeat we are not technician! We are engineers!
so you cant repair what you designed?
Keep on consoling yourself

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by Chuukwudi(m): 5:46am On Jun 16, 2017
savagefinder:
our system is Challenging not terrible.. 99% of all of you aren't creative.. The creative ones settle for mediocrity

The system is Challenging only when it comes to theory. Imagine some sort of restructuring where your teachers are there to guide you hands-on on practicals, a scenario where theoretical examination contributes only 20% and practicals 80%. Exam malpractice will reduce drastically, only then will true learning begin. Because, practically speaking, what you can't do, you can't do.

Speaking of creativity, Creativity is built by observation of trends, patterns, processes and activities over time. How you eventually combine them on your own is completely your business and that's where the creativity comes in.

How can you be creative when you have not even seen nor used a Transistor, zener diodes, etc though you can draw diagrams of it and accurately perform all calculations as regards to it?

Creativity entails building on existing forms based on patterns observed by doing. In music, one has to play lots of songs, lots and lots of songs, study chords, Harmony, counterpoints, polyphony, cadences, etc.
How he decides to combine them on his own is what makes him creative. We don't do lots of practicals on school, we are not properly guided. The few of us who are practically good achieved that on their own. Most of our students code. No teacher taught us that.

Creativity is built by doing, our lecturers do not teach us how to do. Even though they give us practical based assignments, some students pay technicians to do theirs for them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lasu To Admit 3,500 Of 36,500 Candidates / I Bet My Life, My JAMB Result was Hacked / For Those Of You Who Think Mermaids Are Cute Creatures. See!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.