Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,752 members, 7,806,069 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:56 AM

What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? (7470 Views)

Reptile Found In Edo University's Engineering Workshop / Engineering Students Of Ambrose Alli University Rock Arab Apparel For Graduation / Why Exactly Are State Universities On ASUU Strike? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by hardeywhale2: 4:21pm On Jun 16, 2017
einscienstist:

you failed... as the Transformer was supervised and declared NEW by the engineers working with Benin Electricity Distribution Company, Benin City.
was even bought by an Engineer(Politician Tho)..
I say make u explain(make I fit understand), instead you wan find fault for wetin another engineer like you Buy and Wire...
Oga Electro Has Worked in NEPA as a "technician"....and has worked as an Electro for SEPLAT OIL AND GAS...as a "technician(he didn't goto school, but them see e work, take employ am... cos he's good)
So..?? which course I go study for NIGERIAN University, when I go take become Technician...??
Cos "technician" come dey get Head pass "look and pass" Engineer..... (Supervising Engineer)

Engineers design while technicians build....they r trained to follow specifications as instructed by an engineer....thou u may give the credit to them but an engineer designed it.......I being an engineer dos not qualify me roofing a house with hammer......but I can design the slope of the roof et al.....

Oga electro associated and gathered his knowledge from engineers......

We have been using our transformer for more dan 6yrs naw no fault no repair.....u guys got d wrong 1...

Anyways we got d good nd bad engineers......

I pray u get to meet d good 1s soon......so dat u will b confused
Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by johnp2(m): 4:43pm On Jun 16, 2017
durentchigozie:
enlighten my naivety

Go and do the finding yourself!!
Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by johnp2(m): 4:52pm On Jun 16, 2017
durentchigozie:
enlighten my naivety

Engineers are not Technologists, Technicians or Artisans. We design, construct and maintain structures using scientific principles. Engineers also give specification and guide!!.....

DO you think is the labourer that construct the road?
Or the technicians that design transformer??

Is it white man that come to install the transformer you are using in your area?? Or the Electrician??

The engineers are doing a lot of work on a daily basis and you can't do without them in this digital age!!
Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by johnmars(m): 5:27pm On Jun 16, 2017
desiigner:

Dude, obviously you don't know sh*t about engineering, it's never a job of Electrical engineer to be doing wiring, that's why we have technicians. In the simplest of terms, an engineer is a problem solver. They take basic science information and use the rules of mathematics to solve problems and design new products. Technicians are the "doers." They are workers that are highly trained to perform specific tasks. They generally follow procedures developed by engineers.
It works like that everywhere not peculiar to Nigerian. Read up and grow up man.

My nigga what's your point? did the technician spend 5 years in school to learn what they know? you say "Engineers are problem solvers" question "what problems have they solved?" in UNIBEN at final year Engineering student start thinking of 1st class to get a lecturer job. I'm an engin student but I know the knowledge passed is bleeped! stop defending it and speak against it, it might just to the newspaper and the govt make ma change.
Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by mojeed4(m): 6:07pm On Jun 16, 2017
hardeywhale2:

Engineers design while technicians build....they r trained to follow specifications as instructed by an engineer....thou u may give the credit to them but an engineer designed it.......I being an engineer dos not qualify me roofing a house with hammer......but I can design the slope of the roof et al.....

Oga electro associated and gathered his knowledge from engineers......

We have been using our transformer for more dan 6yrs naw no fault no repair.....u guys got d wrong 1...

Anyways we got d good nd bad engineers......

I pray u get to meet d good 1s soon......so dat u will b confused
hardeywhale2:

Ur transformer dat got burnt 5 tyms is how old(who knows maybe its 20yrs old sef)....its weak nd need replacement as if u will contribute sef if ur building is bill for replacement....dey r managing it for u guys.....

Only if Oga electro can design electricity connection for highrise building...I meant like 25 stories....

Give ur building to him weneva u r fortunate to build 25 stories......only den will u know d importance of an engineer.....

I rep Civil engrn anyways

The best rep of our time... I'm watching you in 10D grin

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by hardeywhale2: 7:36pm On Jun 16, 2017
mojeed4:

The best rep of our time... I'm watching you in 10D grin
The Messi of our tym......Book guru....
Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by Whitemoney: 8:21pm On Jun 16, 2017
I buy/Sell US iTunes gift card at a very moderate rate kindly hit me up

08063984186 (whatsap)
Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by kevoh(m): 8:36pm On Jun 16, 2017
grin grin Funny thread!
NairaSand:

Mechanical and Electrical Engineering has over 20 specializations. You can't be a master of all. You pick your specialty or interest and you perfect your knowledge in that area.
I really hope I was able to make a point and you were able to pick a lesson or two.
Bros, you have time to be responding to ignorant fellows. One even said engineers are the main reason why Nigeria is still unable to generate above 5000 megawatts. grin I am just laughing at the sheer ignorance. Ask him when last did the government involve engineers in policy formulations? Ask him why the Chinese rail project is undertaken uniquely by Chinese engineers and not one Nigerian trained engineer is part of the rail project for possible acquisition/transfer of knowledge of rail construction from the Chinese, yet the government is saying nothing? You will start getting funny answers.

Discussions as this are pointless, as only the professionals, be it engineers, economists, doctors e.t.c know where the shoe pinches! I have met engineers who should have their certificates seized, same way I have met many engineers who are very adept in their practice with the limited resources. We have Nigerian doctors who forget tools, towels in people's stomach, misprescribe drugs, economists mishandling the affairs of the economy, all these people are products of the Nigerian University system. If I am to follow the line of thought of this thread, then engineering and other professions should be cancelled in Universities and the jobs given to those who have not been certified.

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by kevoh(m): 8:52pm On Jun 16, 2017
ilevic:

guy forget. My friend who is a mechanical engineer had to go back to a roadside mechanical to learn how to fix a gen
It is not a bad thing to gain knowledge even from the lowest of places/people as no man is an island of knowledge. This is what makes you a better person and better professional in your field.

As it stands, I have gathered and still gathering experience ranging from COREN certified engineers to technicians and even Carpenters. Not one of these people started at 100%, they all started from 0% and learnt from someone somewhere be it in the four walls of a Nigerian University or on the roadside.

You will be more respected when you can perform wonders in your profession as no one will even ask whether you learnt from a roadside mechanic, all your employer will be seeing is an engineer he can not afford to lose to other companies.

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by MajesticD(m): 12:54am On Jun 17, 2017
adedolapo189:
What you guyz cant understand is that we are trained to design not to do those menial job. We are not technician! i repeat we are not technician! We are engineers!
Thanks bro...u just gave the most sensible response. I hardly make comments here on Nl but i feel i should be able to enlighten the OP on one or two things.
The engineering as a field is divided into 4 sections otherwise called the 'engineering family'. Stated below in other of ascending superiority, we have the;
*artisan
*technician
*technologist
*engineer
The above stated tiers have specific roles they play due to the nature of the training and qualification they possess. So when u see that carpenter, mechanic doing what he does by the roadside, he is simply carrying out his function as part of the engineering family.
Now to specifically answer ur question, the engineer is basically trained to design systems and mechanisms by applying mathematics, sciences and economics. For instance, as an engineer, am faced with a system which requires a certain part, lets say a shaft that operates at a certain maximum number of revolution per minute(rpm) for maximum efficiency, different quantity and types of stress at different points of the shaft etc. I start by analysing the system to identify those specific parameters that would ensure maximum efficiency of shaft, this i do by carrying out detailed calculations to determine the most suitable material, diameter and length of such shaft and then i pass this in a technical document to the technologist who is trained to produce. Now mind u, in engineering, the process of carrying out all these calculations to determine specific parameters of a mechanism that ensure maximum operational efficiency is what is referred to as 'designing', which is why the engineer is basically said to be trained to design.
Pls for peace to reign, try not to compare the engineer with that electrician, believe u me, there is a term called 'critical radius of insulation' which no electrician will ever know and which i cannot exhaustively explain here, if only u knew what manner of calculation goes into determining the appropriate radius/thickness of our cable insulators (even as insignificant as it may seem to the layman) while taking several factors into consideration to ensure the avoidance of a certain calamity that could happen if wrongly designed then just maybe u will begin to appreciate engineering as a field.
#Peace

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by Oduok(m): 10:53am On Jun 17, 2017
Instead of engineering students and graduates accepting challenge from this post they are busy consoling themselves. "As Engineers we design ..." If you can't bring out prototypes of your design and products from such prototype then such engineering is mirage. An electrical engineer that cannot wire (not doesnot want to wire but doesnot know how to wire) is ridiculous. These skills are covered in our Basic Technology curriculum in Junior Secondary School. Same with Chemical Engineering graduates that cannot produce bench scale and pilot scale products. These are basic elementary knowledge that ought to be part of the Engineers formative stage of education. Check our university curriculum, these skills are there through various workshop practices, lab work, Student Work Experience and Student Industrial Work Experience Scheme (SIWES). You cannot design a process you don't have practical knowledge of.
Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by adedolapo189(m): 6:26pm On Jun 17, 2017
MajesticD:

Thanks bro...u just gave the most sensible response. I hardly make comments here on Nl but i feel i should be able to enlighten the OP on one or two things.
The engineering as a field is divided into 4 sections otherwise called the 'engineering family'. Stated below in other of ascending superiority, we have the;
*artisan
*technician
*technologist
*engineer
The above stated tiers have specific roles they play due to the nature of the training and qualification they possess. So when u see that carpenter, mechanic doing what he does by the roadside, he is simply carrying out his function as part of the engineering family.
Now to specifically answer ur question, the engineer is basically trained to design systems and mechanisms by applying mathematics, sciences and economics. For instance, as an engineer, am faced with a system which requires a certain part, lets say a shaft that operates at a certain maximum number of revolution per minute(rpm) for maximum efficiency, different quantity and types of stress at different points of the shaft etc. I start by analysing the system to identify those specific parameters that would ensure maximum efficiency of shaft, this i do by carrying out detailed calculations to determine the most suitable material, diameter and length of such shaft and then i pass this in a technical document to the technologist who is trained to produce. Now mind u, in engineering, the process of carrying out all these calculations to determine specific parameters of a mechanism that ensure maximum operational efficiency is what is referred to as 'designing', which is why the engineer is basically said to be trained to design.
Pls for peace to reign, try not to compare the engineer with that electrician, believe u me, there is a term called 'critical radius of insulation' which no electrician will ever know and which i cannot exhaustively explain here, if only u knew what manner of calculation goes into determining the appropriate radius/thickness of our cable insulators (even as insignificant as it may seem to the layman) while taking several factors into consideration to ensure the avoidance of a certain calamity that could happen if wrongly designed then just maybe u will begin to appreciate engineering as a field.
#Peace

bro tenks for this. I hope the op can read all these
Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by ilevic(m): 7:50pm On Jun 17, 2017
obyrich:
And you think that he needed a degree in mechanical engineering to learn how to fix a generator?
What is the essence of establishing technical colleges?

Every engineer who passed through a technical college could fix a generator or wire a house. Those things are learnt in technical schools.

The curriculum of engineering studies is designed in such a way that you do not need a basic technical education to gain admission into the university. The training of engineers will encompass those technical knowledge but one would need to practise in the field to entrench those knowledge.

So your friend who went to learn how to fix a generator is doing what is expected of him, maybe he didn't have enough practice time during his days in the university, perhaps he couldn't get placement in a relevant industry.

Please learn to ask questions politely on issues to lack knowledge on.

peace

Thank you for enlightening me. Now I knw why there are many engineers teaching physics, further maths and basic tech in secondary schools.
Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by obyrich(m): 8:03pm On Jun 17, 2017
ilevic:

Thank you for enlightening me. Now I knw why there are many engineers teaching physics, further maths and basic tech in secondary schools.

I don't get your point.
Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by MajesticD(m): 9:02pm On Jun 17, 2017
obyrich:
Another one! OP kindly visit any 330KV transmission station with that guy who wired your house and test his knowledge of electrical power and equipment. Charlatans everywhere. You do not need a degree in Engineering to wire a house but to install and maintain a 150MVA transformer,you must be a skilled engineer.

Ask that guy that wired your house what is called 'load balancing'.

I do not blame you guys but the useless corruption in Nigeria that allows a drug dispenser to be called a doctor!

You have done 'more than justice to this issue'. Thanks
Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by Jonasbadoo(m): 12:17pm On May 31, 2018
i would have said you are quite stupid,but i can see ur IQ is at 0%...
engineers are not technicians,we design and instruct or at the utmost level,peform high profile industrial and not home service..
ps:Next time ,don't drag the whole engineering students into this,concentrate on the particular dept..
As a chemical engineering student,i can bodly say ,my snr colleague in the industries are paying their dues..
Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by Nobody: 7:33am On Jun 27, 2019
Ikennablue:
This is a very disgraceful thing to say. Shame! An engineer saying he can't fix his car, wire his house or fix his gen because he is trained to design. Shame!

Calm down. A mechanical engineer that specialized in automotive design can surely fix his car if he has the blueprint about the design of the vehicle. An electrical engineer can sure wire his house...so what's the point you are making?
Re: What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? by Nobody: 10:13am On Jun 27, 2019
Hmmm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Bet My Life, My JAMB Result was Hacked / Lasu To Admit 3,500 Of 36,500 Candidates / For Those Of You Who Think Mermaids Are Cute Creatures. See!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.