Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,821 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:11 AM

St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG (27949 Views)

Dangote Remains Africa’s Richest Man (see Others) / FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste / Black Friday At Ibadan Shoprite: Customers Take Canned Drinks, Ate Packaged Rice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by chimah3(m): 6:49am On Jun 16, 2017
tomdon:

It's still better than importation

Did anyone support importation here?!
Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by Sanchez01: 6:52am On Jun 16, 2017
dominique:
It's been long since I saw the St. Louis brand in the markets. Its better it remains banned. The last time I used it, its quality had reduced. I had to put up to four cubes in a mug of tea before I could taste it. Is that one a sugar?
When we develop our local products, foreign companies will come to realize that Nigeria is no longer a dumping ground for their inferior products.
St. Louis is still very much around. To be candid, I had no idea it had long been banned as I bought one last week. And just as you mentioned, its quality has reduced greatly, all in the name of 'refined'.

The industrial sugars around are unhealthy but most people don't seem to care because our very own refined sugars are no different from the present day St. Louis.
Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by Ralphdan(m): 6:53am On Jun 16, 2017
Oya o Dangote and co its ur time
Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by Ralphdan(m): 6:55am On Jun 16, 2017
harrybarn:
Nice move! But doesn't this seem like a structural violence against the producing nations? I mean supposing it was Nigeria's BUA sugar facing such policy say in ghana, it might breach our relationship with them. **Just thinking rational*

That's what we need right now to grow our local manufacturers
Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by sucobaba(m): 6:55am On Jun 16, 2017
St Louis banned?Hmmmnn
Wetin I still buy 2weeks ago @450......

1 Like

Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by mmsen: 6:57am On Jun 16, 2017
dominique:
It's been long since I saw the St. Louis brand in the markets. Its better it remains banned. The last time I used it, its quality had reduced. I had to put up to four cubes in a mug of tea before I could taste it. Is that one a sugar?
When we develop our local products, foreign companies will come to realize that Nigeria is no longer a dumping ground for their inferior products.

It isn't the same at all.

Nigeria and Ghana are ECOWAS nations that have agreed on free trade of goods and people.

Where is St Louis branded sugar being imported from?
Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by 4Play(m): 7:00am On Jun 16, 2017
dominique:

Banning imported products is not a good way of developing Nigeria's economy. The implication of these bans is that you pay more for either illicitly imported sub-standard imports or locally produced versions.
If the latter, the producer takes the "excess profits" out of the country having converted it to dollars. So you get all the downsides - higher prices and currency depreciation - without necessarily developing a strong economy.

It's not today that we started banning imported products, we have been doing this since independence, but all it achieves is line the pockets of the highly connected like Dangote who keep most of their wealth abroad.

To develop a strong economy, we need export competitive industries that bring in forex through their exports not protectionist policies that inflate prices for Nigerians. Protectionist policies work only if they are part of an export strategy: industries are protected only on the strong condition they generate export proceeds. This is not what is happening in Nigeria and we should not be applauding schemes to impoverish Nigerians.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by John902(m): 7:00am On Jun 16, 2017
hezy4real01:
But why
don't ask why and try not to die!
Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by Jaqenhghar: 7:01am On Jun 16, 2017
Smuggling is not what hindered local production. What hondered local production is the lack of infrastructure to actually produce tue sugar and thw challenges in manfacturing sugar in this cesspit.
Nigerians want to produce EVERYTHING but dobt uave the infrastructure to produce anyrhing tangible
Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by muller101(m): 7:02am On Jun 16, 2017
dominique:
we will we will mentality.
Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by ehissi(m): 7:05am On Jun 16, 2017
But I bought St Louis just a few days ago...... undecided

How can it be banned and still be sold in Nigeria at the same time? angry

Ewe Gambia of a government........ tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by adewotired: 7:05am On Jun 16, 2017
Heromaniaa:
The sugar they package in this country is not sweet. You pour one sachet of Dangote sugar in your pap, and the pap tastes like you added extra water. Is good we ban importation of products that are manufactured in the country, but at the same time we have to ensure the home product is not of substandard quality. If our sugar tastes better and is cheaper, then no one will go through the misery of smuggling St Louis into the country. Then again, we have to be sure we are not advancing Dangote's monopoly If Dangote with his 24/7 access to credit facilities controls 80 percent of the sugar industry, then how effective has d sugar ban been in encouraging local producers??

The bolded is just true angry

3 Likes

Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by ultron12345: 7:06am On Jun 16, 2017
All these ones that are shouting "dangote, monopoly " , they won't use this opportunity to establish their own sugar refinery, sugar mill and sugar cane plantations to fill the gap........but when dangote starts expanding his operations to control more of the sugar market, they will start spewing trash
Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by Dantee005(m): 7:10am On Jun 16, 2017
Very impressive. ..with all the plenty sugar cane we haff we will still goan import sugar. . grin
Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by jfleece(m): 7:14am On Jun 16, 2017
I appreciate the resounding effort of the government to minimize the influx of foreign content especially sugar, at least it's gonna create room for the production of local sugar, but local sugar producers needs to have unlimited access to credit facilities, let's harvest our potentials, this country is blessed.
Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by Sparkle777(f): 7:14am On Jun 16, 2017
dominique:

Ooh, you probably bought the fake one. It's a well known fact that there are fake St Louis sugar.
But I encourage it's ban,that sugar with its blue carton don tey.
Let's support indigenous sugar production.
Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by PrickGetSize(m): 7:14am On Jun 16, 2017
dominique:
I still buy it from supermarkets and use it everyday. The quality hasn't reduced one bit; at least, it's better than Dangote sugar.

1 Like

Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by Nobody: 7:16am On Jun 16, 2017
Heromaniaa:
The sugar they package in this country is not sweet. You pour one sachet of Dangote sugar in your pap, and the pap tastes like you added extra water. Is good we ban importation of products that are manufactured in the country, but at the same time we have to ensure the home product is not of substandard quality. If our sugar tastes better and is cheaper, then no one will go through the misery of smuggling St Louis into the country. Then again, we have to be sure we are not advancing Dangote's monopoly If Dangote with his 24/7 access to credit facilities controls 80 percent of the sugar industry, then how effective has d sugar ban been in encouraging local producers??

You have a brain.

1 Like

Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by Bullhari007(m): 7:19am On Jun 16, 2017
local product who are trying to survive.... look at his useless mouth, why not make it cheaper and let see if people won't patronize your local content, how do u expect me to buy from you when u hike the Price... competitive market is good for every unstable economy like ours , a pack of sugar is less than $1 in chine ... when u consider the local producers please do consider the final consumers because there is no case inflow directly to them from useless government we had.... why do we always have to monopolized everything for dangota and the rest of them one useless Ediot from desert part of Nigeria , said we have to patronize dangote goods and make sure he retain the position of the riches black man in the world, and I asked it is at the expense of over 100million empoverished Nigerians ? why do we have dull brains up North , people like bill gate single handedly built their empire without the help of American government , why do we have to give local producers soft landing at the expense of you and me, if the useless government want us to patronize them why not subsidies everything, inject money to production sectors,provide enable environment for business , invites more foreign companies to come and invest, let see if Nigeria won't be competing with other best economy in the world... meanwhile we have an Ediot who listen to no one but only to himself as a president
Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by justmenoni: 7:21am On Jun 16, 2017
You made alot of sense..

Heromaniaa:
Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by Nobody: 7:24am On Jun 16, 2017
This indeed is a good development, only if the necessary body in charge could follow it up without allowing money exchange hands behind the door.

I know how long St. Louis sugar has stayed in Nigeria and how much value Nigerians placed on it. Most times, when people comes to buy sugar in our store, if you give them granulated Dangote sugar or cube golden penny sugar, majority will still opt out for St. Louis'.

I hope the government will genuinely effect this move they have taken. It will go a long way to boost our local productions and also contribute in our GDP.
Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by PrickGetSize(m): 7:26am On Jun 16, 2017
They encourage you to use locally made products but they won't use them.

Their kids live and school abroad.

The clothes and shoes they wear are imported.

Their home materials are imported.

They have a slight headache, they fly abroad to do checkup.

You hardly see them in Nigeria, even the president is now a Londoner.

Fvck Nigerian big men with my big black dick!

1 Like

Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by classikbill(m): 7:28am On Jun 16, 2017
The sugar is still in the market even though the quality has been reduced, some people still prefer it than the local sugar.
Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by Eeroh95(m): 7:29am On Jun 16, 2017
dominique:
trash...
Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by iamHighDee(m): 7:30am On Jun 16, 2017
Dangote has a hand in this to be very honest. Whenever he hops on a particular business, the FG bans other products from overseas then give him the power of monopoly. Corruption is too deep

froz:
The Federal Government has reiterated that the ban place on the importation of packaged sugar four (4) years ago still stand and is in force.

Restating the commitment of government to ensure foreign packaged sugar loses its market chain in Nigeria, the Executive Secretary of National Sugar Development Council (NSDC), Latif Busari noted that the continued smuggling of the product into the country has posed has a hindrance to local producers who are struggling to have a grasp of the market.

Busari in a chat with the media in Abuja on Thursday lamented that, “there is no gain saying the fact that those who engage in illegal importation of this banned product are daily inflicting incalculable damage to local producers of the same commodity in the country. Government cannot afford to look the other way while economic saboteurs who come under the guise of businessmen continue to frustrate genuine efforts geared towards building our economy.”

“Regrettably, despite sustained efforts by the NSDC and other government agencies to protect the interest of local investors in the sugar industry by strictly enforcing the ban on importation of packaged sugar, we have discovered that different brands of this product still line the shelves of big retail outlets and wholesale stores across major cities in the country.”

He stated that, “since the ban was announced, Sugar Council has engaged the major importer of the St. Louis brand that even though Nigeria has been importing the brand for over 53 years, it is time it started its local production in the country if they wanted Nigerians to be consuming it. They sought for and procured an exemption for 18 months to enable them go into partnership with local producers. But two years after the expiration of the exemption, they did not set up any production facilities and while they claim to have stopped its importation we continue to see the brand of cube sugar in our markets.”

Busari noted that, “our position on this matter hasn’t changed; we want importers of banned package sugar to either produce in Nigeria or take them elsewhere. This position is in line with Section 9.3.1 (IV) of the Nigerian Sugar Master Plan (NSMP) as approved.”

“What we are saying is that importers of sugar in retail packs should invest in local packaging facilities within and bring their equipment to Nigeria to produce under the plan, and thereby also help to create jobs for our people” the ES stated.

It will be recall that the Federal Government had in 2013, as part of its efforts to grow the nation’s local sugar industry and attract investments into its downstream segment, banned the importation of packaged sugar into the country as had earlier done for retail packs of vegetable oil, noodle, cement amongst other products.

Busari reaffirmed that “cubing and packaging sugar is not rocket science and there is absolutely no reason why Nigerians with little capital cannot operate in this segment of the sugar industry”, noting that the aim of the banned policy is being defeated by the continued influx of imported package sugar, particularly by the St. Louis brand into Nigeria.

Source : https://brandspurng.com/st-louis-other-foreign-packaged-sugar-brands-remains-banned-in-nigeria-%e2%80%95fg/
Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by NoToPile: 7:30am On Jun 16, 2017
I am just hearing st louis has been banned, its still very mucb around, there are other indigenous brands tooo which are quite good .St Louis is still the most expensive of the cube sugar, I think its 450-500 now.

We have golden penny cube
Dogan cube sugar
St louis

I don't think dangote produces cube sugar, never seen it they only package the granulated in small packs.

Prices of golden penny and Dogaan cube are fair and cheaper than the imported st louis and they seem to have good quality too, that st louis has reduced so much in size. I think there's a bit of competition in the link local sugar market, Dangote and golden penny.

The indigenous brands are doing well in my opinion its not about dangote monopoly at least golden penny sugar is doing quite well, Dogan's need to get more market share IMO but they will get there.
Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by solepager(m): 7:31am On Jun 16, 2017
Lady....st loius dey o...very much...I agree with the quality sha.
dominique:
Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by solomorinho(m): 7:34am On Jun 16, 2017
grin
Inshort they also ban inferior sugar like dangote and golden penny sugar , I had to use 7cubes in a little cup of custard and it became hausa koko, I had to run and buy kosey(akara) so that I will not be at loss angry grin angry grin
Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by Soulsymbol99: 7:37am On Jun 16, 2017
I wonder Hw dat St Louis sugar managed 2 stay in d market 4 over 30years nw. I mean, no advert, no rebranding, no promo, Notin. undecided
Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by iamtardey: 7:39am On Jun 16, 2017
sugar is sugar st louis or st janet
Re: St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG by Ngokafor(f): 7:40am On Jun 16, 2017
Flashmove:
If Dangote is an Igbo man or a Biafran, they would have used tax to kill his business. They will open more doors for foreign Sugar to Land in Nigeria on daily basis.

Dangote may not live in Aso Rock , but he gives 40% order of what is happening in Nigeria. If you think am lying, ask Buhari.....

...On point and co-signed!

....anyway no damned St.Louis sugar for me and certainly hell no to sugar Dangote...Its honey all the way for me and my family..Its much healthier.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

N50 Stamp Duties POS Charge Begins / Benin Residents Keep Vigil In Banks To Use Atms / Business Ideas For A Full Time Employee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.