Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,649 members, 7,801,892 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:17 AM

20 Great Oscar Wilde Quotes For Our Political Times - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 20 Great Oscar Wilde Quotes For Our Political Times (15733 Views)

Propaganda: Its Influence On Our Political Choice / Missing Persons In Our Political Enclave / What Are The Ugliest Experiences In Our Political Destiny? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

20 Great Oscar Wilde Quotes For Our Political Times by paddylo1(m): 9:50pm On Jan 23, 2010
[size=16pt]20 Great Oscar Wilde Quotes for our Political Times(my compilation)[/size]

1.Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
Oscar Wilde. . .(this i would tell jonathan goodluck)

2.By giving us the opinions of the uneducated, journalism keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community.
Oscar Wilde . . .(this i dedicate to the nairaland community,u may replace the word journalism with the internet. . cool)

3.Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde. . .(Becomerich/alloy-emeka this ones for u)

4.Hatred is blind, as well as love.
Oscar Wilde . . .(Jos this ones for u)

5.I am not young enough to know everything.
Oscar Wilde. . .(for michelin,the.amaka,bk-babe99. . and all the teenagers on here)

6. Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
Oscar Wilde. . .(true for most of u hiding behind the computer to reveal your true nature as tribalists)

7. Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
Oscar Wilde . . .(this for kobojunkie)

8.Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.
Oscar Wilde . . .(for the religious bigots in the house,both christian and muslim)

9.Society exists only as a mental concept; in the real world there are only individuals.
Oscar Wilde. . .( for the break nigeria up crowd)

10.Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.
Oscar Wilde. . .(for yar adua? )

11.The one charm about marriage is that it makes a life of deception absolutely necessary for both parties.
Oscar Wilde. . .(for the various constituents of the forced marriage called nigeria)

12.The public is wonderfully tolerant. It forgives everything except genius.
Oscar Wilde. . .(for the hate fashola crowd)

13.There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.
Oscar Wilde. . .(for those nigerians,young and old who line up daily at foreign embassies)

14.There is always something infinitely mean about other people's tragedies.
Oscar Wilde. . .(for haiti or perhaps the world reaction to haiti)

15.There is only one class in the community that thinks more about money than the rich, and that is the poor. The poor can think of nothing else.
Oscar Wilde. . .(for the poverty stricken,worldwide)

16. There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.
Oscar Wilde. . .(dedicated to Nigerians, at least we are being talked about)

17.There's nothing in the world like the devotion of a married woman. It's a thing no married man knows anything about.
Oscar Wilde. . .(for all married men,worldwide. . . sad)

18. This suspense is terrible. I hope it will last.
Oscar Wilde. . .(for the currennt yar adua saga)

19. True friends stab you in the front.
Oscar Wilde. . (thanks USA u are a true friend to Nigeria)

20. Whenever a man does a thoroughly silly thing, it is always from the noblest motives.
Oscar Wilde. . .(thanks OBJ. . for nobly giving us Yaradua)
Re: 20 Great Oscar Wilde Quotes For Our Political Times by paddylo1(m): 3:26am On Jan 24, 2010
sigh. . i see this post flys over the heads of most of our so called nairaland intellectuals
they will rather engage in meaningless rants and contribute to stupid threads
is it a wonder the state of our politics today?
Re: 20 Great Oscar Wilde Quotes For Our Political Times by SEFAGO(m): 3:30am On Jan 24, 2010
Oscar Wilde was quite the master of words.

Most of these quotes probably emanated during his trials as a homosexual
Re: 20 Great Oscar Wilde Quotes For Our Political Times by paddylo1(m): 3:41am On Jan 24, 2010
Oscar Wilde was quite the master of words.

Most of these quotes probably emanated during his trials as a homosexual

i believe he had done most of his best works way before then
which is what brought him to fame in the first place. . . .
before the infamy of the trial and jail in 1896

i actually read his complete works some yrs ago. . . .
he is quite a poet and author
Re: 20 Great Oscar Wilde Quotes For Our Political Times by SEFAGO(m): 3:48am On Jan 24, 2010
yeah but some of his best quotes attributed to him are from his responses during his trials. Quite brilliant I must say, his response in court. ANywas not the point-

His quotes are timeless and can be cross referenced in any situation
Re: 20 Great Oscar Wilde Quotes For Our Political Times by Onlytruth(m): 4:24am On Jan 24, 2010
paddy_lo:

8.Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.
Oscar Wilde . . .

Those fervently opposed to the break up of Nigeria into manageable and credible nations. Those forcing Nigeria on me. angry

11.The one charm about marriage is that it makes a life of deception absolutely necessary for both parties.
Oscar Wilde. . .

For the various constituents of the forced marriage called nigeria.
Classic. grin grin
Re: 20 Great Oscar Wilde Quotes For Our Political Times by tundewoods(m): 1:58pm On Jan 24, 2010
paddy_lo:

[size=16pt]20 Great Oscar Wilde Quotes for our Political Times(my compilation)[/size]

2.By giving us the opinions of the uneducated, journalism keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community.
Oscar Wilde . . .(this i dedicate to the nairaland community,u may replace the word journalism with the internet. . cool)

3.Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde. . .(Becomerich/alloy-emeka this ones for u)

5.I am not young enough to know everything.
Oscar Wilde. . .(for michelin,the.amaka,bk-babe99. . and all the teenagers on here)

6. Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
Oscar Wilde. . .(true for most of u hiding behind the computer to reveal your true nature as tribalists)

7. Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
Oscar Wilde . . .(this for kobojunkie)

Oscar Wilde . . .(for the religious bigots in the house,both christian and muslim)

9.Society exists only as a mental concept; in the real world there are only individuals.
Oscar Wilde. . .( for the break nigeria up crowd)

Oscar Wilde. . .(for the various constituents of the forced marriage called nigeria)

12.The public is wonderfully tolerant. It forgives everything except genius.
Oscar Wilde. . .(for the hate fashola crowd)

13.There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.
Oscar Wilde. . .(for those nigerians,young and old who line up daily at foreign embassies)

14.There is always something infinitely mean about other people's tragedies.
Oscar Wilde. . .(for haiti or perhaps the world reaction to haiti)

15.There is only one class in the community that thinks more about money than the rich, and that is the poor. The poor can think of nothing else.
Oscar Wilde. . .(for the poverty stricken,worldwide)

16. There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.
Oscar Wilde. . .(dedicated to Nigerians, at least we are being talked about)

19. True friends stab you in the front.
Oscar Wilde. . (thanks USA u are a true friend to Nigeria)

20. Whenever a man does a thoroughly silly thing, it is always from the noblest motives.
Oscar Wilde. . .(thanks OBJ. . for nobly giving us Yaradua)

WOW ! Once again,i've found a thread that has ignited my passion for NL.This is a classic ,i must admit.I couldn't help but laughing my ribs out to the point my kids think " their dad's" high or something.

These selected Quotes are my picks.Thanks for the comical relief. wink
Re: 20 Great Oscar Wilde Quotes For Our Political Times by naso2(m): 2:12pm On Jan 24, 2010
@paddy_lo

I dey always enjoy you. nice thread. captures it all (larger society and NL republic).
Re: 20 Great Oscar Wilde Quotes For Our Political Times by selingel: 2:16pm On Jan 24, 2010
paddy_lo:

This is exactly what is happening in the corridor of power. Until they leave that passage, Nigerian leaders will never tell themselves the truth.
Re: 20 Great Oscar Wilde Quotes For Our Political Times by paddylo1(m): 4:35pm On Jan 24, 2010
@paddy_lo

I dey always enjoy you. nice thread. captures it all  (larger society and NL republic).

WOW ! Once again,i've found a thread that has ignited my passion for NL.This is a classic ,i must admit.I couldn't help but laughing my ribs out to the point my kids think " their dad's" high or something.

These selected Quotes are my picks.Thanks for the comical relief.

thanks guys. . most philosophers believe that history always repeats itself after a while in the threads of time
not because of some basic laws that says it must,but because human nature never changes much
and human beings always fall for the same mistakes and temptations and vices
from egypt to rome
to lewinsky to nigeria. . .its the same in politics,life,sex and power

that is why these quotes are timeless
and for societies to succeed they must put in place strong institutions
that will check and outlast the inevitably weak human beings that will occupy power

1 Like

Re: 20 Great Oscar Wilde Quotes For Our Political Times by strangleyo: 4:55pm On Jan 24, 2010
Brilliant.
Re: 20 Great Oscar Wilde Quotes For Our Political Times by Sammy107d(m): 6:18pm On Jan 24, 2010
I've always admired Oscar Wilde after reading 'the picture of Dorian Gray'. No homo.
Re: 20 Great Oscar Wilde Quotes For Our Political Times by Hauwa1: 8:32pm On Jan 24, 2010
nice quotes
Re: 20 Great Oscar Wilde Quotes For Our Political Times by paddylo1(m): 2:29pm On Jan 25, 2010
I've always admired Oscar Wilde after reading 'the picture of Dorian Gray'. No homo.

u dont have to be gay cause u like 'the portrait of dorian gray'.  .thats silly
Re: 20 Great Oscar Wilde Quotes For Our Political Times by Sammy107d(m): 5:04pm On Jan 25, 2010
paddy_lo:

u dont have to be gay cause u like 'the portrait of dorian gray'.  .thats silly

No I said I admired Oscar Wilde, who's kinda gay, and used extraordinarily gay language in the book.
Re: 20 Great Oscar Wilde Quotes For Our Political Times by spicy007(f): 7:10pm On Jan 27, 2010
nice, witty and straight on point.
bravo, Oscar Van Wilde
Re: 20 Great Oscar Wilde Quotes For Our Political Times by beejaei: 2:56am On Jan 30, 2010
A welcome relief from the irrationalities of Kobo junk-kid and her ilk.
Re: 20 Great Oscar Wilde Quotes For Our Political Times by paddylo1(m): 1:05am On Feb 11, 2010
A welcome relief from the irrationalities of Kobo junk-kid and her ilk.

am happy Jonathan took my first advice. . .demote aondokaa but dont sack him totallly. . good
Re: 20 Great Oscar Wilde Quotes For Our Political Times by SkyBlue1: 1:58am On Feb 11, 2010
paddy_lo:

am happy Jonathan took my first advice. . .demote aondokaa but dont sack him totallly. . good

Quite indulgent for a thread to be honest. So which of the Oscar Wilde quote(s) best captures you? What makes you think Johnathan took "your advice" as opposed to acting with his own instinct? Not everyone necessarily puts Oscar Wilde on thesame pedestal as you would, not for lack of intelligence or education, but simply out of preferrence or diverging views. What has this really got to do with politics other than just being another unecessary thread for "settling" petty squabbles? I just thought the personal attacks were unwarranted. smiley

(1) (Reply)

PDP Expel Members Loyal To Amaechi / Sallah: School Shares Out 60 Cows Among 2,000 Families In Lagos, Ogun / Three Bandit Groups Participated In Kuriga Students Abduction, Received Ransom –

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.