Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,803 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:06 PM

Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections (34862 Views)

28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections / 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. / 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by MARYchiells(f): 8:05pm On Jun 17, 2017
Thanks for the correction. You are right most of us miss the "soak away" thing.

1 Like

Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by superior494(m): 8:07pm On Jun 17, 2017
alexistaiwo:
Let me help OP to add small.

Straff (copulation)
Konji (Sexual urge)
Igbo (marijuana)
Chuku Chuku (no be my mouth you go hear am grin)

Lol...thank u
Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by Sambusiness(m): 8:08pm On Jun 17, 2017
[ grin
Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by bionixs: 8:14pm On Jun 17, 2017
BiafraBushBoy:
nice...
Utaba =====> Tobacco.
utaba is utabalary
Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by fuckingAyaya(m): 8:15pm On Jun 17, 2017
garri Turner- turning garri
Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by Teawhy2011: 8:23pm On Jun 17, 2017
She is indoor(she is indoors)
An information(a bit or a piece of information)
Seeking for job(seeking job)
Look forward to hear(look forward to hearing)
I wish I see you tomorrow(I wish I saw you tomorrow)
We are devoted/committed to cure grammatical illness(we are devoted/committed to curing grammatical illness)
Amos' car(Amos's car)
Jesus name(jesus' name)
Who are you looking for?(Whom are you looking for?)
My father together with my brothers are here(my father together with my brothers is here)

4 Likes

Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by Olafav(m): 8:53pm On Jun 17, 2017
How do you call 'omorogun' in english?is it spatula or turner?pls throw more light
Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by shehuolayinka(m): 8:53pm On Jun 17, 2017
All those you pointed out as mistakes are Nigeria coined English. I see nothing wrong in us using it. We can also have our English, no wrong in that.

1 Like

Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jun 17, 2017
sexycecilia:
lol.. Nigerians and our English. There are actually more

1) Disvirgin (Deflower)
2) Pepperish (Peppery)
3) Packer (Dust pan)
4) Trafficate. (Take a turn)
5) Plate number (Number Plate)
6) Cunny (Cunning)
7) Water system (Water Cistern)
cool Installmentally (Installments)
9) Opportuned (Opportune)
10) Go-Slow (Congested traffic)
11) Next tomorrow (a day after tomorrow)
12) Garri turner (Spatula)
13) One of my friend (One of my friends)
14) Bending corner (Bend or corner)
15) Extreme end (Extreme or end)
16) Running stomach (Runny stomach)
17) Running nose (Runny nose)
18) Suckawell (Soak away)
19) Advices (Pieces of advice)
20 Furnitures (Pieces of furniture)

Meanwhile....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7AzhAjPdiY
Matured comments/student (mature students/comments)
Meanwhile, what we call soak away is actually septic tank. Soak away is a different pit to relieve the septic tank of excess water.. Its need depends on water level, again since builders and house owners make the septic tank a concrete stuff, we hardly need soak away as the former is evacuated when filled up.

Thanks for the water cistern and dust pan.

1 Like

Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jun 17, 2017
shehuolayinka:
All thoswnypubarebcalli mistakes are Nigeria coined English. I see nothing wrong in us using it. We can also have our English, no wrong in that.
When u do ielts or TOEFL and see ur results..
Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by Momoh7(m): 8:59pm On Jun 17, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked
I wish Auchi Poly students could read this thread.
Na my school you dey
Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by Momoh7(m): 9:00pm On Jun 17, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked
Na my school you dey
Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jun 17, 2017
Teawhy2011:
She is indoor(she is indoors)
An information(a bit or a piece of information)
Seeking for job(seeking job)
Look forward to hear(look forward to hearing)
I wish I see you tomorrow(I wish I saw you tomorrow)
We are devoted/committed to cure grammatical illness(we are devoted/committed to curing grammatical illness)
Amos' car(Amos's car)
Jesus name(jesus' name)
Who are you looking for?(Whom are you looking for?)
My father together with my brothers are here(my father together with my brothers is here)
These are advanced.

1 Like

Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by Ayjuri: 9:04pm On Jun 17, 2017
Let Me Add This: Yoruba: Boda (Brother) Akwa Ibom: Abro (Brother)

Thanks Sir, God Bless

1 Like

Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jun 17, 2017
Stay one place (stay at a place)
A criteria (a criterion)
A staff (staffer, staff member or member of staff)
A personnel (personnel can't be used for one person)
The man has came (The man has come)
This is how it is ran (This is how it is run)
May be perhaps (May be or perhaps)
If you should get there before me (If or should you get there first..use one)
I used to go there (in the past)
I'm used to going there (continuous)
I'm used to this (accustomed)
Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jun 17, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Hug?
Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jun 17, 2017
alexistaiwo:

Straff (copulation)
Konji (Sexual urge)
Igbo (marijuana)
Sex
Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jun 17, 2017
asuustrike2009:
Sex
Corrupt Child don't corrupt me oo

1 Like

Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by Rick9(m): 9:45pm On Jun 17, 2017
Nigeria standard Jor. Best in the world
Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by ItsTutsi(m): 9:46pm On Jun 17, 2017
Jesus!! Wetin b garri turner!?!?undecided grin

1 Like

Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by akaahs(m): 9:51pm On Jun 17, 2017
Opps, water system is the entire mechanism that operate on the toilet, is also known as water closet WHILE water cistern is that container that hold or store water in the toilet. U can't interchange them bcause they re two different things.
Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by Nobody: 9:58pm On Jun 17, 2017
Driver,I'm dropping here ( I'm getting off here).
A driver can drop you though.
Price it (Ask for the price)
The shopkeeper or producer can price it.
Wake keep/wake keeping (wakeful night or wake)
Night vigil (vigil)
On phone (on the phone)
Read it on the screen (read it on screen)
Write an exam (do or take an exam or test) How do you write the speaking part or something?
Take my bath (take or have a bath)
Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by jonero4(m): 10:07pm On Jun 17, 2017
Let me come and be going

Means what
Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by nellyelitz(m): 10:10pm On Jun 17, 2017
Bros research no.7 again.

Water system and cistern are two different things...I'm not an English professional like you but just try and check.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by Gap2020(m): 10:13pm On Jun 17, 2017
How did you know they're the correct spelling?
Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by nellyelitz(m): 10:14pm On Jun 17, 2017
alexistaiwo:

Straff (copulation)
Konji (Sexual urge)
Igbo (marijuana)
what of coitus?
Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jun 17, 2017
familia with pepperish and cunny but my phone auto correct keeps underling it with red
Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by Alasi20(m): 10:31pm On Jun 17, 2017
Kkkkk
Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jun 17, 2017
i think it's bout time we accepted some of these words as Nigerian english, just as british accepted some America words as American English.

i think words like go slow and packer should be recognized as Nigerian english already and not incorrect english.

remember different English speaking countries with their brand of english, it can't be the same. Americans,british,Australia, canada, Caribbeans all have different versions of english, so why can't we accept the one we speak here(some words actually) as Nigeria english?.

NOTE:im not dumb, im just tryna be logical.

1 Like

Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by LilTyRoNe: 10:38pm On Jun 17, 2017
22.Anini - thief
Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by Nobody: 10:57pm On Jun 17, 2017
alexistaiwo:

Corrupt Child don't corrupt me oo
See dis pikin of yesterday. SMH

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerians On Twitter To Give N525k To Cynthia Chinecherem Who Made 9A1 In WAEC / Nigerian Universities That Have Radio Broadcasting Station. / TASUED Fresh Graduate Commits Suicide Over Possible Carryover (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.