Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,940 members, 7,806,719 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:47 PM

Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections (34857 Views)

28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections / 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. / 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by Edum13656: 2:53am On Jun 18, 2017
Driving licence = Drivers license

1 Like

Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by AlwaysUltraPad: 6:20am On Jun 18, 2017
superior494:
As we all know English is not our language. We may at some point felt for these and maybe some even now.

1) Disvirgin (Deflower)
2) Pepperish (Peppery)
3) Packer (Dust pan)
4) Trafficate. (Take a turn)
5) Plate number (Number Plate)
6) Cunny (Cunning)
7) Water system (Water Cistern)
cool Installmentally (Installments)
9) Opportuned (Opportune)
10) Go-Slow (Congested traffic)
11) Next tomorrow (a day after tomorrow)
12) Garri turner (Spatula)
13) One of my friend (One of my friends)
14) Bending corner (Bend or corner)
15) Extreme end (Extreme or end)
16) Running stomach (Runny stomach)
17) Running nose (Runny nose)
18) Suckawell (Soak away)
19) Advices (Pieces of advice)
20 Furnitures (Pieces of furniture)

Please contribute yours!!!
Nobody is above mistakes and corrections!

Let's learn together!

Nigerians don't take "trafficate" to mean "take a turn" , they take it as a verb or to describe the blinking light that indicate that you're about to take a turn .

1 Like

Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by AlwaysUltraPad: 6:26am On Jun 18, 2017
numerouno01:
i think it's bout time we accepted some of these words as Nigerian english, just as british accepted some America words as American English.

i think words like go slow and packer should be recognized as Nigerian english already and not incorrect english.

remember different English speaking countries with their brand of english, it can't be the same. Americans,british,Australia, canada, Caribbeans all have different versions of english, so why can't we accept the one we speak here(some words actually) as Nigeria english?.

NOTE:im not dumb, im just tryna be logical.
this is what they fail to understand.

2 Likes

Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by SteveMarvic: 6:58am On Jun 18, 2017
alexistaiwo:
Let me help OP to add small.

Straff (copulation)
Konji (Sexual urge)
Igbo (marijuana)
Chuku Chuku (no be my mouth you go hear am grin)
grin grin
Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by murorun1(m): 8:25am On Jun 18, 2017
Disvirgin is also correct in English moderator.
Garri turner should be acceptable too since spatula is a turner.
Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by rhadiator15(m): 8:27am On Jun 18, 2017
[quote author=alexistaiwo post=57611260]Let me help OP to add small.

Straff (copulation)
Konji (Sexual urge)
Igbo (marijuana) mariwanah u mean?
Chuku Chuku (no be my mouth you go hear am grin)
Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by Nobody: 10:03am On Jun 18, 2017
AlwaysUltraPad:
this is what they fail to understand.
inferiority complex, mental slavery is what is still affecting majority of Nigerians that's why.
Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by MWAFoods: 10:11am On Jun 18, 2017
FOOD ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can you cook? Are you African.?Are you ready to put Africa on the world's food map? ......... tag along and win the MWAF online FoodQuest (WFC qualifier) to battle at the World Food Championship in America.
For registration, enquiry and sponsorship, visit: www.mwafoods.com
Like MWAFoods pages on IG @mwafoods,
Twitter @mwafoods
Fb: Most Wanted Africa Foods
BBM: 7B95015F
Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by Maspeky(m): 8:31pm On Jun 18, 2017
Incorrect: I repeat again that I won't go there
Correct: I repeat that I won't go there

Incorrect: The boys returned back at 6 o'clock
Correct: The boys returned at 6 o'clock

Incorrect: Nowadays, I use to wake up early
Correct: Nowadays, I wake up early (N.B"used to" is applied when something was done in the past and has now stopped)

Incorrect: Could you borrow me your pen, please?
Correct: Could you lend me your pen, please?

Incorrect: John, off the light
Correct: John switch off the light

Incorrect: He eats rice everyday
Correct: He eats rice every day (every and day are separate words)

Incorrect: Five plus three is equals to eight
Correct: Five plus three is equal to eight OR Five plus three equals eight

Incorrect: My body is scratching me
Correct: My body itches me (so I'm scratching it)

1 Like

Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by Pizzle1234(m): 12:11am On Jun 19, 2017
Maspeky:
Incorrect: I repeat again that I won't go there
Correct: I repeat that I won't go there

Incorrect: The boys returned back at 6 o'clock
Correct: The boys returned at 6 o'clock

Incorrect: Nowadays, I use to wake up early
Correct: Nowadays, I wake up early (N.B"used to" is applied when something was done in the past and has now stopped)

Incorrect: Could you borrow me your pen, please?
Correct: Could you lend me your pen, please?

Incorrect: John, off the light
Correct: John switch off the light

Incorrect: He eats rice everyday
Correct: He eats rice every day (every and day are separate words)

Incorrect: Five plus three is equals to eight
Correct: Five plus three is equal to eight OR Five plus three equals eight

Incorrect: My body is scratching me
Correct: My body itches me (so I'm scratching it)
Thumb up
Re: Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections by AlwaysUltraPad: 1:34pm On Jun 19, 2017
numerouno01:

inferiority complex, mental slavery is what is still affecting majority of Nigerians that's why.
you've said it all.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Student Hid Food Under Table To Eat While Lecture Was Ongoing / Nigerian Universities That Have Radio Broadcasting Station. / Nigerians On Twitter To Give N525k To Cynthia Chinecherem Who Made 9A1 In WAEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.