Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,466 members, 7,781,347 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:56 PM

Help Needed On Starting Vegetable Farming - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Help Needed On Starting Vegetable Farming (2480 Views)

Vegetable Farming In Nigeria / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) / I Need Advice On Starting A Frozen Chicken Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Needed On Starting Vegetable Farming by hadex90(m): 3:43am On Jun 19, 2017
hi all, please i need ur help in starting a vegetable farming EWEDU, SHOKO & UGWU to be precise, please i need full guide from how to get good seed to nursery and transplanting. thanks in anticipation
Re: Help Needed On Starting Vegetable Farming by kennies12(m): 6:44am On Jun 19, 2017
where are u and how do we reach u
Re: Help Needed On Starting Vegetable Farming by hadex90(m): 7:09am On Jun 19, 2017
kennies12:
where are u and how do we reach u
Am In Lagos, U Can Reach Me On 08134673988 E-mai:l adeyemi.opeyemi90@yahoo.com but i will appreciate if u can post the lesson here so others can learn too.
Re: Help Needed On Starting Vegetable Farming by hadex90(m): 1:35pm On Jun 19, 2017
Still Waiting For Ur Help People, God Bless U
Re: Help Needed On Starting Vegetable Farming by Hugoboy: 11:22pm On Jun 19, 2017
Re: Help Needed On Starting Vegetable Farming by Hugoboy: 11:24pm On Jun 19, 2017
Thanks op, I'm in a similar situation. I'll like to learn from this thread too. I stay in Osogbo and I'm on 08139524460. Thanks.
Re: Help Needed On Starting Vegetable Farming by menwongo(m): 3:05am On Jun 20, 2017
Just make bed and plant your vegetable leaves' seed. It needs no nursery.
Add poultry droppings when making the bed.
You can as well apply nitrogen fertilizer after one month of germination.
Re: Help Needed On Starting Vegetable Farming by hadex90(m): 7:39am On Jun 20, 2017
menwongo:
Just make bed and plant your vegetable leaves' seed. It needs no nursery.
Add poultry droppings when making the bed.
You can as well apply nitrogen fertilizer after one month of germination.
i heard some seed need to be parboiled before planting like ewedu, just not sure maybe its just the ewedu
Re: Help Needed On Starting Vegetable Farming by menwongo(m): 7:53am On Jun 20, 2017
hadex90:
i heard some seed need to be parboiled before planting like ewedu, just not sure maybe its just the ewedu
Well, I don't know what's ewedu. English name please
Re: Help Needed On Starting Vegetable Farming by hadex90(m): 7:56am On Jun 20, 2017
menwongo:

i dnt knw that also, its that yoruba draw soup
Re: Help Needed On Starting Vegetable Farming by menwongo(m): 8:17am On Jun 20, 2017
hadex90:
i dnt knw that also, its that yoruba draw soup

Ok have never seen one before.
But if you boil any seed it will die. But if the seed requires high temperature to germinate why not plant it in nursery and use nylon to cover the bed opening only the planting spots
Re: Help Needed On Starting Vegetable Farming by kennies12(m): 9:01am On Jun 20, 2017
My brother u don't need to boil ewedu seed before planting. Ewedu has tiny seeds that germinates in 3 to 4 days after planting.

It comes out naturally and freely unless the soil is dry.
Re: Help Needed On Starting Vegetable Farming by omolorlarh: 9:19am On Jun 20, 2017
hadex90:
It is called corchorus.It does need to be parboiled before planting.Some people "soak it in warm water" not parboil to destroy every inhibitor that will prevent it from germinating. If you get your seed from a sure source then you don't need to soak in "warm water"
Make your beds,if you have dried poultry droppings or cow dung mix it with the soil then plant your seeds by sprinkling in it on the bed but make sure you mix your seed with a small portion of soil before planting.There are different methods of planting though but the one I just told you is the broadcasting method.After planting,water it immediately then continue wateribg "every morning and evening" till you harvest.regular weeding is important. google for more informations too.

You can ask more questions
cc: mayoor15

3 Likes

Re: Help Needed On Starting Vegetable Farming by mayoor15(m): 9:43am On Jun 20, 2017
Let me carry my chair and siddon.... Thanks @omolorlarh
Re: Help Needed On Starting Vegetable Farming by hadex90(m): 7:40pm On Jun 20, 2017
omolorlarh:

It is called corchorus.It does need to be parboiled before planting.Some people "soak it in warm water" not parboil to destroy every inhibitor that will prevent it from germinating. If you get your seed from a sure source then you don't need to soak in "warm water"
Make your beds,if you have dried poultry droppings or cow dung mix it with the soil then plant your seeds by sprinkling in it on the bed but make sure you mix your seed with a small portion of soil before planting.There are different methods of planting though but the one I just told you is the broadcasting method.After planting,water it immediately then continue wateribg "every morning and evening" till you harvest.regular weeding is important. google for more informations too.

You can ask more questions
cc: mayoor15
Thank U Very Much My Brother abi its my sister cos i use to feel all farmers are male. Does That Goes For All The Other Vegetables Like Shoko?
Re: Help Needed On Starting Vegetable Farming by hadex90(m): 8:45pm On Jun 20, 2017
Incase Of Overcrowding, Is Transplanting Allowed?
Re: Help Needed On Starting Vegetable Farming by omolorlarh: 9:46pm On Jun 20, 2017
hadex90:
Thank U Very Much My Brother abi its my sister cos i use to feel all farmers are male. Does That Goes For All The Other Vegetables Like Shoko?
yeah soko,tete

1 Like

Re: Help Needed On Starting Vegetable Farming by hadex90(m): 7:03am On Jun 22, 2017
omolorlarh:

yeah soko,tete
thanks omolorlarh...another question, is there breed for the seeds? i mean like hybrid or local breed
Re: Help Needed On Starting Vegetable Farming by omolorlarh: 9:13am On Jun 22, 2017
hadex90:
thanks omolorlarh...another question, is there breed for the seeds? i mean like hybrid or local breed
Don't know o
Re: Help Needed On Starting Vegetable Farming by hadex90(m): 9:53am On Jun 22, 2017
omolorlarh:
Don't know o
Lolz...Thank U Very Much
Re: Help Needed On Starting Vegetable Farming by Ademat7(m): 2:05pm On Jun 22, 2017
Only ewedu require parboiling,soko and Tete doesn't.
Add ugu to your vegetable garden
Re: Help Needed On Starting Vegetable Farming by hadex90(m): 4:09pm On Jun 22, 2017
Ademat7:
Only ewedu require parboiling,soko and Tete doesn't.
Add ugu to your vegetable garden
Thanks, Can U Explain The Parboiling Process?
Re: Help Needed On Starting Vegetable Farming by Ademat7(m): 5:31pm On Jun 22, 2017
hadex90:
Thanks, Can U Explain The Parboiling Process?
Boil water to lukewarm level,pour the seed in a bowl and pour the water inside the bowl; pour the mixture in a rag to act as sieve leaving the parboiled seed within the rag.
Air dry the wet seed,mix with dry sand afterward and it's ready to be spread on your vegetable bed

2 Likes

Re: Help Needed On Starting Vegetable Farming by hadex90(m): 6:04pm On Jun 22, 2017
Ademat7:

Boil water to lukewarm level,pour the seed in a bowl and pour the water inside the bowl; pour the mixture in a rag to act as sieve leaving the parboiled seed within the rag.
Air dry the wet seed,mix with dry sand afterward and it's ready to be spread on your vegetable bed
God Bless U Brother
Re: Help Needed On Starting Vegetable Farming by HOLRANGE(m): 6:51pm On Jun 22, 2017
menwongo:

it's botanical name is chocorus
Re: Help Needed On Starting Vegetable Farming by Seun(m): 11:47am On Jun 13, 2018
Ademat7:

How long do the seeds need to be parboiled, and what happens if you fail to do this?
Re: Help Needed On Starting Vegetable Farming by TechCapon(m): 3:20pm On Jun 17, 2018
Seun:

How long do the seeds need to be parboiled, and what happens if you fail to do this?
would love to send you a PM. How do I do this ?

(1) (Reply)

Please How Do Sell My Plantain / Top Farming Apps/services Revolutinizing Agriculture In Africa / Buying Sesame Seed And Soyabeans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.