Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,973 members, 7,806,828 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:46 AM

Different Car Body Types You Need To Know - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Different Car Body Types You Need To Know (16772 Views)

Samples Of Vehicle History Report Types You Should Know Of ....Donot Be Deceived / We All See Nice Cars But Do The Prices Really Match The Benefits. Car Body Types / Different Car Door Types You Need To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Different Car Body Types You Need To Know by slimpoppa(m): 7:34am On Jun 20, 2017
I like them droptops.
Re: Different Car Body Types You Need To Know by davidhoop: 7:35am On Jun 20, 2017
Sportscars have a sub category referred to a super sportscars
Re: Different Car Body Types You Need To Know by Nobody: 7:36am On Jun 20, 2017
Re: Different Car Body Types You Need To Know by lonelydora: 7:47am On Jun 20, 2017
The first look at the hatchback picture, I thought oyibos put a water bottle on top of cars like Nigerians when they want to sell their cars. Closer look confirmed it's the second pillar of that gate.

2 Likes

Re: Different Car Body Types You Need To Know by obafemee80(m): 7:52am On Jun 20, 2017
sarutobie:
I thought SUV stands for Sub Urban Vans..
SUV stands for both
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_utility_vehicle

1 Like

Re: Different Car Body Types You Need To Know by Wilit: 7:57am On Jun 20, 2017
Wow! this is very educative! I don't know most of them until now. Thank you OP.

2 Likes

Re: Different Car Body Types You Need To Know by 2shure: 8:17am On Jun 20, 2017
Mazda has one bad ass coupe
Its 4 doors.
But the last 2doors very coded.
Ud think its a 2seater.

Hatchbacks real examples na our popular toyota matrix..mazda 3...

Advanced hatch backs wagon.
Bmw x5..honda crv 08 and above
Venza
Crosstour

Real suv.
Ml 350 08 model and above
Toyota highlander 08 and above
Toyota cruiser.
Honda Element copy cat
Re: Different Car Body Types You Need To Know by eezeribe(m): 8:17am On Jun 20, 2017
Addicted2Women:
You forgot luxury cars and vans
Luxury car is not a body type...

3 Likes

Re: Different Car Body Types You Need To Know by Geonigga(m): 8:37am On Jun 20, 2017
When I saw the topic, I was very anxious to read the full details, this I quickly click for details and hoping to read about the Mazda car I just bought but contrary became the case.
Re: Different Car Body Types You Need To Know by Addicted2Women: 8:59am On Jun 20, 2017
eezeribe:

Luxury car is not a body type...

Shut up

Google is free, why can't you use it ??
Re: Different Car Body Types You Need To Know by AlphaT1(m): 9:02am On Jun 20, 2017
blaise00700:
Love SUVs, makes me feel like a boss kiss

But chai SUV na fuel demon make i no lie.
Recent SUVs don't consume fuel that much. I use a 2014 model which has a better fuel economy than my 2007 Toyota camry XLE dat i had used in d past.
Re: Different Car Body Types You Need To Know by siralabai(m): 9:14am On Jun 20, 2017
Addicted2Women:
You forgot luxury cars and vans
Most luxury cars are sedan, the Rolls-Royce, Bentleys etc are full size sedans

1 Like

Re: Different Car Body Types You Need To Know by blaise00700(m): 9:43am On Jun 20, 2017
AlphaT1:

Recent SUVs don't consume fuel that much. I use a 2014 model which has a better fuel economy than my 2007 Toyota camry XLE dat i had used in d past.

Well, i can't quantify your statement "SUVs don't consume fuel that much" but i drive a 2016 Kia sportage and it does 8.7 L/100km

That's too much compare to a sedan or hatchback which are usually < 6.5 L/100km.
Re: Different Car Body Types You Need To Know by ojibole(m): 10:02am On Jun 20, 2017
SUV cos of our useless roads

1 Like

Re: Different Car Body Types You Need To Know by davo90tico(m): 10:05am On Jun 20, 2017
datola:
The SUVs are what most Nigerians erroneously refer to as Jeep just like they call all coocking seasoning Magi.

One beautiful car that does not have definite body type identity is Toyota Venza. No wonder its production has been discontinued.

Vans, minivans and MPVs are all primarily designed for comfortable transportation of people. Commercial vans only feature the front seat row, with the remaining space used for cargo.
This class of vehicles include the Renault Scenic, to minivans and vans, such as Dodge Caravan or legendary Volkswagen Type 2.

Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey are supposed to be your classic examples.

Op, you tried but next time domesticate your write up by using Nigerian scenario.

why sir was it discontinued, does that mean no 2017 model sir?
Re: Different Car Body Types You Need To Know by bejeria101(m): 10:15am On Jun 20, 2017
Op you got the crossover wröng,a crossover is a car with suv utilities and functions. The rav 4 isnt a crossover,the crossover vehicles are bmw x6,toyota venza,acura zdx,mercedes benz R-class to mention a few
Re: Different Car Body Types You Need To Know by Splendid700: 10:21am On Jun 20, 2017
I just learnt something.
Re: Different Car Body Types You Need To Know by makizee(m): 10:29am On Jun 20, 2017
sarutobie:
Lol...they stand for Sport Utility Vehicle
Re: Different Car Body Types You Need To Know by makizee(m): 10:30am On Jun 20, 2017
davo90tico:

Yeah, the last ones produced for the US Market, and the last ones for the International market would stop at 2017 i believe.
Re: Different Car Body Types You Need To Know by davo90tico(m): 10:36am On Jun 20, 2017
makizee:

Yeah, the last ones produced for the US Market, and the last ones for the International market would stop at 2017 i believe.
Kai and that car makes sense, but will they still be producing the parts?
Re: Different Car Body Types You Need To Know by obafemee80(m): 11:05am On Jun 20, 2017
bejeria101:
Op you got the crossover wröng,a crossover is a car with suv utilities and functions. The rav 4 isnt a crossover,the crossover vehicles are bmw x6,toyota venza,acura zdx,mercedes benz R-class to mention a few

Check this out
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossover_(automobile)
Re: Different Car Body Types You Need To Know by chuka5000(m): 11:28am On Jun 20, 2017
obafemee80:

Sports Car
[img]http:///a/img923/8518/OsPXqx.jpg[/img]
[img]http:///a/img922/743/jScjBq.jpg[/img]
A sports car is a small,two-door car,often two-seater, featuring exquisite design, powerful drivetrain for enhanced performance and sharp steering for great handling. These cars are usually expensive and purchased as second or third cars for entertaining rides.
Sports cars vary from economical Mazda MX-5/Miata to posh Porsche 911 and incredible Bugatti Veyron/Chiron valued at millions of dollars.

Sedan/Saloon
[img]http:///a/img924/4142/UAN72A.jpg[/img]
A sedan, also called a saloon, is a passenger car with a bonnet covering the engine and a separate boot for luggage at the rear. This is one of the most popular body styles of cars today, with seating for at least four people.

Sedans differ in size and class, which leads to further classification,including mid-size, full size, executive, luxury and sports sedans. Sedan is one of the most popular types of cars all over the world.Toyota Camry, BMW 5-series, Chevrolet Malibu are classic sedans.

SUV-Sport Utility Vehicle
[img]http:///a/img924/2126/7rVzuM.jpg[/img]
[img]http:///a/img922/5856/hWQoik.jpg[/img]
Terms SUV and crossover are often confused as these body types have a lot in common, namely increased ground clearance,large wheels, aggressive exterior design.However, SUVs provide better off-road abilities as they are typically built on sturdy chassis, often borrowed from light trucks, have four-wheel drive and brutal design.
Jeep Cherokee,Range Rover and Mitsubishi Pajero/Montero are the examples of SUVs.

Hatchback
[img]http:///a/img923/4908/19Xepy.jpg[/img]
Hatchbacks feature a rear door, swinging upwards and providing convenient access to cargo space. Three and five-door options are available. The size of hatchback cars may vary form tiny city cars to large liftbacks. In most cases hatchbacks are powered by economical engines,but hot hatches are also available.
Volkswagen Golf, Ford Focus and Mini are the examples of this car type.

Wagon
[img]http:///a/img923/9038/bKnMMH.jpg[/img]
Typically built on sedan platform, state wagon is basically an extended hatchback, featuring a larger cargo space. Wagons provide the same cabin space as sedans, although may feature an increased head space for rear seat passengers courtesy of extended roof.

At the same time, wagons may provide huge boot space,easily accessible through rear door.Upon folding down the rear seat row, wagons may offer transportation ability similar to that of vans. Famous wagons include Volvo XC70, Volkswagen Passant Wagon, Audi A4 Avant.

Crossover
[img]http:///a/img924/6695/lkDfIm.jpg[/img]
Crossover is a new car body type that combines the traits of true SUVs and regular hatchbacks. Typically built on car platforms, crossovers usually feature an increased ground clearance, larger wheels.
Popular crossovers include Toyota RAV4, Acura MDX and Renault Captur.

Pick-Up/Truck
[img]http:///a/img924/7070/VBFCIZ.jpg[/img]
Trucks are utility vehicles typically used for commercial purposes. They feature a passenger cabin, either two-door or four-door, and an open cargo space with low sides and loading gate at the back. They are generally equipped with all-wheel drive system and provide outstanding off road performance and towing capabilities.
Toyota Hilux/Tacoma, Chevrolet Silverado are examples.

Van/MPV-MultiPurpiseVan
[img]http:///a/img923/1636/jPC6JQ.jpg[/img]
Vans, minivans and MPVs are all primarily designed for comfortable transportation of people. Commercial vans only feature the front seat row, with the remaining space used for cargo.

This class of vehicles include the Renault Scenic, to minivans and vans, such as Dodge Caravan or legendary Volkswagen Type 2.

Coupe
[img]http:///a/img923/531/9yQJQJ.jpg[/img]
Coupe is a two-door body type, typically based on full-size sedan sharing the same platform. Coupes feature two-seat cabin or four-seat cabin with limited space in the rear row.
Coupe models often feature top of the range trim level and engines. However, their main distinction from regular sedans is edgy design.Many sports cars have a coupe body, combining design and performance-oriented drivetrain.Honda Civic Coupe, BMW 3-Series Coupe and Ford Mustang are the examples of coupes.

Convertible/Cabriolet
[img]http:///a/img924/9008/6iintW.jpg[/img]
A convertible features a retractable roof. They are particularly suited for a driver and one passenger,although rear seats are sometimes available too. There are different types of retractable roofs, including folding textile roof, detachable hardtop or retractable hardtop. The latter is becoming increasingly popular in the world of stylish convertible cars.Cadillac Eldorado,Porsche Boxter, Jaguar XK are the examples.

Which car body type do you prefer and why?

https://autojosh.com/different-car-body-types-need-know/

the car u called sport car is actually a supercar
Re: Different Car Body Types You Need To Know by Ipfreely: 11:35am On Jun 20, 2017
datola:
The SUVs are what most Nigerians erroneously refer to as Jeep just like they call all coocking seasoning Magi.

One beautiful car that does not have definite body type identity is Toyota Venza. No wonder its production has been discontinued.

Op, you tried but next time domesticate your write up by using Nigerian scenario.

1. The Toyota Venza is a wagon

2. The term 'Jeep' can also loosely apply to certain SUVs and light trucks.

3. The lack of a 'definite body type' has nothing to do with the Venza production issues.
Re: Different Car Body Types You Need To Know by AlphaT1(m): 11:40am On Jun 20, 2017
blaise00700:

Well, i can't quantify your statement "SUVs don't consume fuel that much" but i drive a 2016 Kia sportage and it does 8.7 L/100km

That's too much compare to a sedan or hatchback which are usually < 6.5 L/100km.
Yea. You are right about Kia. I was referring to Toyota products. My wife uses 2016 Hyundai Tucson and it consumes exactly 8.7L/100km. I think Kia and Hyundai SUVs have bad fuel economy.

1 Like

Re: Different Car Body Types You Need To Know by FlyboyZee: 11:53am On Jun 20, 2017
datola:

The Toyota Venza is basically an overrated and over-hyped Toyota Camry wagon...

1 Like

Re: Different Car Body Types You Need To Know by KingBillionaire(m): 12:00pm On Jun 20, 2017
sarutobie:
It depends on the context. SUV in automobile "world" means Sport Utility Vehicle.
Re: Different Car Body Types You Need To Know by lx3as(m): 2:49pm On Jun 20, 2017
Re: Different Car Body Types You Need To Know by lx3as(m): 2:50pm On Jun 20, 2017
Why is 2000 CR-V or RAV4 called different names by Nigerian officials - Saloon, Jeep (SUV), Car-jeep, and Wagon; which is correct?
Re: Different Car Body Types You Need To Know by datola: 10:00pm On Jun 20, 2017
davo90tico:

In 2015, Toyota announced that the Venza would be discontinued after the 2015 model year. There are three factors that contributed to this decision: customer preference, competitiveness within the segment, and deteriorating sales, according to Toyota. Production of US models ended in June 2015, and export models ended production in 2017

1 Like

Re: Different Car Body Types You Need To Know by FlyboyZee: 9:36am On Jun 21, 2017
lx3as:
Why is 2000 CR-V or RAV4 called different names by Nigerian officials - Saloon, Jeep (SUV), Car-jeep, and Wagon; which is correct?
It still beats me why they are so dumb. Imagine them registering a Coupé as a Saloon and a Nissan Almera Tino which is an MPV as a car or bus and a Toyota Prado as a Jeep. I was trying to let the officials know that the classification is wrong even from the official handbook I had, they were like "you wan com teach us our work?"

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Police Suspend Operation Velvet For One Month / Tesla Model S Becomes The World's Fastest Bulletproof Car! / How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.