Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,693 members, 7,805,847 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:13 AM

God Of War 4: 10 Questions From The E3 Trailer - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / God Of War 4: 10 Questions From The E3 Trailer (1509 Views)

So, E3 Is Done. What Was Your Most Exciting Moment? / "God Of War" Wins Game Of The Year Award. See Full List Of Nominees & Winners / 4 Reasons The God Of War Is Arguably 2018 Best Game (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

God Of War 4: 10 Questions From The E3 Trailer by Nobody: 11:42pm On Jun 19, 2017
God of War's latest trailer landed at E3 with the force of a felled Titan, sending shock waves across the gaming industry and kicking the hype machine into overdrive.
Kratos is back,Yes surviving that self-inflicted impaling at the end of God of War III, and this time he has a son in tow, has swapped Ancient Greece for an old school Norse backdrop and gotten in touch with his feelings... well, sort of.
The E3 trailer shed further light on what promises to be one of next year's biggest games, offering a glimpse at the new and improved camera system, the brutal-as-ever combat and some of the mythological creatures Kratos will no doubt be strangling with their own intestines throughout the adventure.
The footage had everything - father-son bonding, giant sea serpents and added hipster cred thanks to our protagonist's new beard - but for all of its revelations, it also posed some burning questions about the next entry in the series.
So let's take a look at some of the biggest questions the latest God of War trailer poses and ponder some of their possible answers.
Re: God Of War 4: 10 Questions From The E3 Trailer by Nobody: 11:51pm On Jun 19, 2017
10. How Is Kratos Even Alive?
You see why i said God of War Is childish? Let's be realistic here and face the fact. So Kratos managed to shrug off that little scratch he suffered at the end of... wait a minute that sword went straight through his chest, skewered his spine and left him with a gaping hole for a midriff.
So how exactly is the Ghost of Sparta in any kind of condition to father a son, let alone embark on an all-new adventure in the world of Norse mythology?
Granted, Kratos is a demigod and imbued with all kinds of mythical powers by the end of the original trilogy's final chapter but, as anyone who's tackled the game on the Spartan difficulty setting will testify, he's certainly fallible.
The irate cueball looks remarkably well considering his abdomen ended up more hollowed out than a Big Brother contestant's cranium, and there are two possible explanations for his apparent good health.
Either somebody came to his aid after the messy events atop of Mount Olympus, or he died and was somehow resurrected - but why and by whom?
There is scope for developer Sony Santa Monica to get creative with both of these theories when bridging the gap between the two games, yet none of the trailers so far have offered any kind of hint about the direction they might take.
As long as they don't got down the dreaded 'it was all a dream' avenue, we'll be all ears when they attempt to explain their way out of this one.

Re: God Of War 4: 10 Questions From The E3 Trailer by Nobody: 11:58pm On Jun 19, 2017
Lalasticlala
Mukina2
Obinoscopy
Semid4lyf

Mynd44
Seun

Re: God Of War 4: 10 Questions From The E3 Trailer by Nobody: 11:59pm On Jun 19, 2017
9. Who Is Atreus' Mother?
Kratos's relationship with his son is central to the new God of War's narrative, gameplay and themes.
Young Atreus represents the protagonist's shot at redemption, among other things - his chance to rein in the anger that has long flowed in his veins, leave behind his vengeful ways and step up as a mentor and protector.
One has to wonder how the Ancient Norse equivalent of social services hasn't spirited this boy away from his powder keg of a father for his own safety, but perhaps a better question to ask is who is Atreus's mother?
Two trailers down and we are no closer to finding this out, but one thing's for sure, his parentage must be an important plot element or Sony wouldn't be keeping schtum.
The way the pair speak about Kratos's mystery woman in God of War's debut trailer appears to confirm that she is deceased, or at least out of the picture, but some of the attributes Atreus has displayed could hint at her background.
Electrokinesis and superhuman stamina are two of the abilities he may not have inherited from dad. The former power was most likely passed down by grandpa Zeus, but there's always the chance that both came from his mother's side.

Re: God Of War 4: 10 Questions From The E3 Trailer by Nobody: 12:02am On Jun 20, 2017
8. How Exactly Is Kratos Son "Cursed"
Kratos knows a thing or two about curses given that his skin is forever coated in the ashes of his dead family, so when his son says "you said I was cursed" in the E3 trailer we can assume this comment holds weight.
Is this an affliction Atreus has inherited from Kratos? Is this something that is even physically possible according to the game's lore? Curses could be hereditary, right?
Perhaps the taint in his bloodline - if indeed that is what we're dealing with - comes from his mother's side and its nature offers a clue about her identity.
It's also possible that Kratos was speaking metaphorically, using the "curse" term as an analogy for his son's physical weakness and predisposition towards pacifism, traits that are likely to get youngsters killed in a world of bloodthirsty Norse nasties.
Re: God Of War 4: 10 Questions From The E3 Trailer by Nobody: 12:09am On Jun 20, 2017
7. Why Does Atreus Understand The Serpent Language
God of War's E3 2017 trailer climaxes with the appearance of the World Serpent, and bloody hell does he live up to his name.
The gargantuan snake has epic boss battle written all over it, but for now it appears Kratos will forge an alliance with the reptilian thanks to his son's translation skills.
Atreus seems fluent in whatever language the serpent speaks and acts as a go-between for his father while he negotiates a team-up with the mythical creature.
So this begs the question of why the spawn of Sparta is fluent in this tongue and Kratos is not. Is this merely a Norse language young Atreus grew up learning, or is he some kind of serpent whisperer as a result of his maternal DNA?
Re: God Of War 4: 10 Questions From The E3 Trailer by Nobody: 12:12am On Jun 20, 2017
6. Is Thor The New Antangonist?
We're used to see him saving the world as a member of The Avengers, but God of War promises to deliver darker, gritter take on Thor.
Neither of the game's trailers have offered a look at how the Norse deities will be portrayed, though the E3 2017 footage has given us reason to believe that the hammer-wielding thunder god is our antagonist in chief.
How did we work this one out? Well, the World Serpent is one of Loki's children and a bitter enemy of Thor, which would explain why he's so keen to join forces with Kratos.
That said, it's also feasible that the oversized snake has daddy issues and wants to team up with our protagonist to take down his father. There seems to be a lot of that going around in the God of War series.
Furthermore, don't be surprised if every god on the Norse mythology books ends up on the wrong side of Kratos - he may have a particular distaste for thunder gods but doesn't discriminate when it comes to exterminating pantheons.
Re: God Of War 4: 10 Questions From The E3 Trailer by Nobody: 12:15am On Jun 20, 2017
5. Who Has Kratos Decapacitated This Time
Kratos is back in the decapitation game, and just like he did with poor old Helios, he's carrying his victim's severed head around with him, as you do.
Around the 1:21 mark in the latest E3 trailer, a disembodied head can be seen hanging from the Ghost of Sparta's belt, complete with horns and a glimmering eye.
The bodyless being's other eye is obscured and may even be missing, which might be a massive clue regarding his identity...
Could this be none other than Odin, the one-eyed god?
No doubt Thor would have something to say about Kratos carrying around the decapitated head of his father - this could explain why our protagonist is so keen to strike up an alliance with the World Serpent.
Of course, we should also consider the fact that the missing head could belong to a number of other members of the Norse pantheon.
Baldur, the god of light, is another potential candidate, but wouldn't that feel like a rehash of the Helios decapitation?
Re: God Of War 4: 10 Questions From The E3 Trailer by abtallest24(m): 12:17am On Jun 20, 2017
wetn sweet me b say i never sit down play God of war
Re: God Of War 4: 10 Questions From The E3 Trailer by Nobody: 12:17am On Jun 20, 2017
3. Who Are Kratos Allies
Kratos doesn't play well with others, and even when he does they often end up dead, so that doesn't bode well for those two allies of his in the E3 trailer.
That said, the warrior woman who first crops up around the 1:50 mark with sword at the ready looks like she can take care of herself.
She issues Kratos with a warning: "The gods of these realms don’t take kindly to outsiders, trust me, when they find you, and they will, they’ll make things difficult."
All we can gleam from that is that she isn't a god and she has the Ghost of Sparta's back, but her identity remains a mystery for now.
The pint-sized chap who shows up at 2:44 might need some protecting, as his primary purpose appears to be un-God-of-War-like comic relief.
Although the series isn't known for its humour, the latest instalment is all about disrupting the status quo, so let's roll with it for now.
Re: God Of War 4: 10 Questions From The E3 Trailer by Nobody: 12:19am On Jun 20, 2017
2. Will Kratos Become The God of War?
No doubt Kratos hasn't officially held the title of 'God of War' since the PlayStation 2 era, before the Greek pantheon betrayed him, but is that about to change?
Norse mythology has its own god of war in the shape of Tyr who, despite being juxtaposed to Ares, is more than just a champion of belligerence.
Tyr is also the deity representing law and justice in the Nose myths. In other words, there's a bit more substance to him, not unlike Kratos since he entered fatherhood.
There's nothing in either of the trailers to indicate that Tyr is even in the game, let alone Kratos's predecessor on the throne, but his presence would be fitting.
Not only would Kratos becoming the Norse God of War mirror his PS2 debut and essentially bring the series full circle, having the protagonist oversee law and justice as well as war would represent bold character development.
Re: God Of War 4: 10 Questions From The E3 Trailer by Nobody: 12:22am On Jun 20, 2017
1. When Exactly Is The Release Date For God of War

Sony has only committed to an "early 2018" release date, but we need specifics so we can free up our calendars in preparation for the epic mythical beast slaying.
The studio's release history gives us reason to believe that the game will arrive sometime in March.
The original God of War hit PS2 on 22 March 2005, God of War II landed on 13 March 2007, and the third core instalment arrived on PS3 on 16 March 2010.
Although God of War: Ascension wasn't a core instalment, it didn't buck the trend, landing on PS3 on 12 March 2013.
So all signs point to a launch in the third month of 2018, but come on, Sony, narrow it down already.
Re: God Of War 4: 10 Questions From The E3 Trailer by Nobody: 7:24am On Jun 20, 2017
For the benefit of those who haven't watched the trailer here is the OFFICIAL TRAILER:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlW175pnJjI
Re: God Of War 4: 10 Questions From The E3 Trailer by idreezbaba(m): 8:19am On Jun 20, 2017
Boss abeg Where do you reside?
Re: God Of War 4: 10 Questions From The E3 Trailer by StPete: 9:14am On Jun 20, 2017
Brilliant! I wonder why a well-ended game would have Kratos re-emerging even more so, after killing Zeus (the overall god). I think the creators of GOW should focus on building an entirely new game rather than tainting the 3 previous episodes with this new release
Re: God Of War 4: 10 Questions From The E3 Trailer by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jun 20, 2017
StPete:
Brilliant! I wonder why a well-ended game would have Kratos re-emerging even more so, after killing Zeus (the overall god). I think the creators of GOW should focus on building an entirely new game rather than tainting the 3 previous episodes with this new release
My thoughts exactly!! i think this new God of War will be a big flop, they should just leave the franshise and create a new game.
Re: God Of War 4: 10 Questions From The E3 Trailer by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jun 20, 2017
idreezbaba:
Boss abeg Where do you reside?
Ikeja, Why you dey ask?
Re: God Of War 4: 10 Questions From The E3 Trailer by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jun 20, 2017
abtallest24:
wetn sweet me b say i never sit down play God of war
Play GOW 3 and you will understand almost everything
Re: God Of War 4: 10 Questions From The E3 Trailer by larmu(m): 7:48am On Jun 21, 2017
Valid points by OP. I'm just looking forward to playing the game
Re: God Of War 4: 10 Questions From The E3 Trailer by nadleeh: 9:06am On Jun 21, 2017
Not a big fan of GOW,but how is it that people are still asking "how is kratos alive" ?. Not that i want to start talking on how he should not be alive from part one,but did anyone not see the last scene in GOW3?? did any of you see his corps and you're still asking this? .....where i come from,corps don't walk off the battlefield.
Re: God Of War 4: 10 Questions From The E3 Trailer by XVIER(m): 4:46pm On Jun 27, 2017
Vasaratti16, bro it's glaring you just dislike god of war, i have been following your post recently. chill abeg this is just a trailer they never said it's the continuation of god of war 3 cos i see you asking how did kratos come back to life. it was only titled god of war not god of war 4. what if after playing, it turns out to be a different story. will you take back your words? most people ask same question when ascension was about to be dropped. after most people played god of war ascension they got to understand the game better. all i'm saying is take the chill pill and stay calm until the game is dropped.
Re: God Of War 4: 10 Questions From The E3 Trailer by Nabi2000(m): 8:04pm On Jun 27, 2017
Its actually not a continuation per say, santa monica is saying they want to start a new story and im pretty sure we'll get to know how he survived in the game, it also looks like its going to be a great game from what ive seen i think its not just going to be one big fight after another like the previous games and im excited to c that and also whats all the fuss about that xbox one x im a playatation fan but from all the fuss its like that thing will be a beast (not still better than a self-built gaming pc)

(1) (Reply)

Jay Jay Okocha Among Top 5 Most Skilled On Fifa15 / Can't Wait For This Game / More Nigerians Are Now Joining The Developers Rank!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.