Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,574 members, 7,809,094 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:52 PM

Rains: Residents Of GOWON Estate Lagos, Can’t Go On Again - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rains: Residents Of GOWON Estate Lagos, Can’t Go On Again (711 Views)

Checkout This Throwback Pic Of Gowon,azikiwe & Son Praying 4 End Of Civil War / Throwback Photo Of Gowon And Ojukwu Reconciling 40 Years After End Of Civil War / Why I Can’t Go And Greet Buhari, Even If Invited —fayose (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rains: Residents Of GOWON Estate Lagos, Can’t Go On Again by IkpuMmadu: 10:47am On Jun 21, 2017
As it rained dogs and dogs in Lagos this Tuesday ad it looks as if Poseidon, the god of the sea and water was on a vengeance mission to show the underbelly of places in Lagos. As it was seen, it seems that he succeeded in this quest. One of the unfortunate areas that witnessed this incidence is Gowon Estate, Located at Egbeda – Ipaja Axis. The rain demonstrated that the Local Council and those that were handling that densely populated area where either sleeping or decided to play Ostrich. As it rained today, it brought floods of tears and the resident of Gowon Estate couldn’t go on with their lives.

Lagos, said to be in the race to become one of the smartest city, putting finishing touches to celebrate their 50th anniversary ha witnessed decay and rot which the state governor Akinwunmi Ambode is trying to correct. Though, according to Nigerian standards Ambode has demonstrated sufficiently a purposeful leadership and a thorough grasp of the business of governance. The snag is that like other mortals, Ambode isn’t omnipotent and in democracy which is a participatory governance, Local Council Heads have been made to many, many of these places and Egbeda environs is under Alimosho is a Local Government Area in the Ikeja Division, Lagos State, Nigeria It is the largest local government in Lagos. The question is; where they asleep all these years?

The rains have put a dent on the image of Lagos. Lagos is a state that her Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) is higher than most African countries like Too, Benin and others. Yet in terms of infrastructure Lagos is found wanting. As the state is being gradually turned into a museum by putting effigies, ornaments, sculpture and painting in a bid to celebrate the state at 50. The best decoration isn’t an open museum, which the state is turning into but, good drainage system, road network and infrastructural development. If all these things are in place, Lagosians can confidently say that their city has come of age. As it stands now, it is not yet Uhuru and the city is far from anything modern, though cosmopolitan. Next time you visit Egbeda when it rains, get a canoe or kayak.

https://etimes.com.ng/rains-residents-gowon-estate-lagos-cant-go/

Re: Rains: Residents Of GOWON Estate Lagos, Can’t Go On Again by Nobody: 11:01am On Jun 21, 2017
Ambode sef
Re: Rains: Residents Of GOWON Estate Lagos, Can’t Go On Again by Guestlander: 11:05am On Jun 21, 2017
Lagos needs a solid undrground drainage system. It is expensive but highly needed.
Re: Rains: Residents Of GOWON Estate Lagos, Can’t Go On Again by bakynes(m): 11:05am On Jun 21, 2017
This is 33 road/Lyta side it's always flooded. But Gowon Estate has the underground drainage system built during the Gowon Era. I was born in this area and still live close to this area. I don't think this is poor drainage or blocked drainage matter, it's a matter of the magnitude of rainfall in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Rains: Residents Of GOWON Estate Lagos, Can’t Go On Again by Biggcake: 12:05pm On Jun 21, 2017
bakynes:
This is 33 road/Lyta side it's always flooded. But Gowon Estate has the underground drainage system built during the Gowon Era. I was born in this area and still live close to this area. I don't think this is poor drainage or blocked drainage matter, it's a matter of the magnitude of rainfall in Lagos.
My guy na for whr dis rain dey fall sef for Lagos... because me no call this Lagos one rain oooo. If want see daily heavy rain, abeg try visit Calabar. Assuredly, you go understand wetin be rainy season.
Re: Rains: Residents Of GOWON Estate Lagos, Can’t Go On Again by bakynes(m): 3:31pm On Jun 21, 2017
Biggcake:

My guy na for whr dis rain dey fall sef for Lagos... because me no call this Lagos one rain oooo. If want see daily heavy rain, abeg try visit Calabar. Assuredly, you go understand wetin be rainy season.
Coastal cities like PH and Calabar too is always flooded, I haven't been to Calabar but I have been to PH so I don't know what the OP is lamenting about.
I have been to London as well and their rain is usually small it can't get the city flooded but some coastal places outside of London gets flooded too.
Re: Rains: Residents Of GOWON Estate Lagos, Can’t Go On Again by oshemus: 3:35pm On Jun 21, 2017
Looks like an Afonjees camp
Re: Rains: Residents Of GOWON Estate Lagos, Can’t Go On Again by raker300: 3:42pm On Jun 21, 2017
I thought they said ambo is working?

Someone lied

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Host Saraki, And Dogara In London / ” Declaring Public Holiday Will Not Stop You From Going To Prison”- Dino / Biafra: Igbos In Kano Disown IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.