Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,044 members, 7,799,535 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:10 AM

Nairaland Slowness And Downtime - Nairaland / General (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nairaland Slowness And Downtime (25582 Views)

Ecobank Internet Banking Downtime / Ikeja Electric Deploys Technology To Reduce Downtime / Apology For Unnecessary Downtime (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Slowness And Downtime by DrGoodmanFather: 4:21pm On Jun 22, 2017
BiggyBamBam:

Speak with your Hosting Company.
Also demand for compensation for the interruptions, They will give you a pro-rated monthly fee from the time it happened.
Just so long as they are not a Nigerian company.
I do this all the time and I got paid fast!
lol. Nairaland should be on a dedicated server. not your small hosting
Re: Nairaland Slowness And Downtime by titus1: 4:27pm On Jun 22, 2017
Seun:
Dear Nairalanders,

This is to inform you that Nairaland is experiencing a serious problem. The infrastructure that powers Nairaland has become unusually slow and unstable, which has led to a lot of downtime. The cause of this slowness and instability is unknown to me, but I am doing my best to figure out what's going on and fix it.

I wish to appeal to everybody to please bear with me, and please note that I may not be able to process any orders until this issue has been diagnosed and fixed.

Best regards,
Seun Osewa.

Mr seun does this affect advert too cause i just registered for advert as well paid but not hearing anything from nairaland and i try a private message dont know where to that on your account.
Re: Nairaland Slowness And Downtime by DrGoodmanFather: 4:29pm On Jun 22, 2017
coptic:

And that's a bad sign.

I observed that mynd44 is like that. He banned some handle for 2 months and bans another for 2 days, over the same "offence."

It looks like they do as pleased there are no rules guiding these things and that's bad for business.

What's the point of having 1,827,055 registered members when 2/3rd of those numbers are alternate handles?

Their bans here are just a vendetta, and not meant to correct behaviors. the actual number of nairaland members should be somewhere in the region of 500 - 700,000.

Most people now have alternate handles, no thanks to the arbitrary bans.

Do you know they Kidnap people on Nairaland? Go to property forum. People will invite artisans for work and they get kidnapped. He did nothing to it. But the senseless mod can ban for silly reasons.

IF this account is banned, I have no use for it already.
Re: Nairaland Slowness And Downtime by microjoystick: 4:48pm On Jun 22, 2017
Seun:
Dear Nairalanders,

This is to inform you that Nairaland is experiencing a serious problem. The infrastructure that powers Nairaland has become unusually slow and unstable, which has led to a lot of downtime. The cause of this slowness and instability is unknown to me, but I am doing my best to figure out what's going on and fix it.

I wish to appeal to everybody to please bear with me, and please note that I may not be able to process any orders until this issue has been diagnosed and fixed.

Best regards,
Seun Osewa.
wow i jusst created this monicker to honour u
Anyway pliss try to fixing the issues
Re: Nairaland Slowness And Downtime by freeman95(m): 5:41pm On Jun 22, 2017
MrOdyssey:

While the owner of Linda ikeji blog is a full fledged igbo woman. can you beat that?

well why are u here, u can't compare that shitty blog to this one...

this is a goddamn community, create topic and do stuffs, u can't do all these on that piece of crap

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Slowness And Downtime by Rightdan(m): 5:49pm On Jun 22, 2017
I for say!!! ..thought was my Internet service
Re: Nairaland Slowness And Downtime by musicwriter(m): 6:14pm On Jun 22, 2017
Seun:
Dear Nairalanders,

Best regards,
Seun Osewa.

In addition to damage of main-one cable as suggested by others, I think your site is nearing or has exceeded full bandwidth at your host company. This problem has been going on for a while just that its worse over the past few days. I believe you use dedicated hosting, otherwise, you need use a dedicated hosting service.

One thing you need know, though, is the more new members sign up for an account, and the more post and comments here, the more the site speed would drop. I think you'll need to regularly keep upgrading your bandwidth quota at your host company in order to keep up. By the time you get; say 50-100 million members, you'll be struggling to keep this site online, unless your ad revenue increase significantly. You should know all this anywhere.

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Slowness And Downtime by koboko69: 6:51pm On Jun 22, 2017
princeofdworld:
Yea I noticed it too ..but trust me ..this is the work of your enemies ..because when I access from a foriegn ip ..it doesn't give me issues ...it does from only Nigerian ip undecided

This is a lie.
Re: Nairaland Slowness And Downtime by Xbee007(m): 12:02am On Jun 23, 2017
verygudbadguy:

We need to learn how to live with one another peacefully. It has become imperative for us to understand that Muslims do not take easy any comment they perceive disrespectful against their religion. We Christians are Christ like and as such, we take things a bit easy.

I am sure Seun must have thought this over and over before he decided to put the Oath.

A case study of the RCCG early morning preacher and the guy that urinated near a mosque would help you understand better.
Have you seen how demented fools enter Muslims thread with insults and curses. Abi you think Muslims don't have feelings too. Despite the ban Christians still manage to enter the thread and cause trouble.
On the matter of that RCCG preacher, you guys made it about religion even though the people in the entire neighborhood knows it is not. She has been preaching for years and nothing happened.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Slowness And Downtime by MrOdyssey(m): 1:43am On Jun 23, 2017
freeman95:

well why are u here, u can't compare that shitty blog to this one...

this is a goddamn community, create topic and do stuffs, u can't do all these on that piece of crap

I would have loved to take out my time to school you on why and how LIB is bigger and more resourceful than Nairaland regardless but i can see you are already too filled with hate and jealousy to take in anything else.

Lets start with getting you to purge your heart of hate first.
Re: Nairaland Slowness And Downtime by princemedico: 3:12am On Jun 23, 2017
https://www.nairaland.com/3877948/nigerias-internet-traffic-affected-mainone#57768623

Seun I think this issue is connected to the Mainone fault in the link above.
Re: Nairaland Slowness And Downtime by Coolgent(m): 5:19am On Jun 23, 2017
Iamdmentor1:
Seun, remove that Islam oath you force everyone to make before commenting on Muslim threads
Receive sense!

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Slowness And Downtime by koboko69: 7:01am On Jun 23, 2017
musicwriter:

In addition to damage of main-one cable as suggested by others, I think your site is nearing or has exceeded full bandwidth at your host company. This problem has been going on for a while just that its worse over the past few days. I believe you use dedicated hosting, otherwise, you need use a dedicated hosting service.

One thing you need know, though, is the more new members sign up for an account, and the more post and comments here, the more the site speed would drop. I think you'll need to regularly keep upgrading your bandwidth quota at your host company in order to keep up. By the time you get; say 50-100 million members, you'll be struggling to keep this site online, unless your ad revenue increase significantly. You should know all this anywhere.

Good luck.

Lol. Smh
Re: Nairaland Slowness And Downtime by freeman95(m): 7:13am On Jun 23, 2017
MrOdyssey:

I would have loved to take out my time to school you on why and how LIB is bigger and more resourceful than Nairaland regardless but i can see you are already too filled with hate and jealousy to take in anything else.

Lets start with getting you to purge your heart of hate first.

nobody is hating here, I don't know u and u don't know me, if u have a valid point share, stop covering it up with assumptions.....

if LIB is so resourceful, u shouldn't be here, there's no Nigerian blog or website that can be compared to nairaland...

Nairaland is our own Facebook, take it or leave it..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Slowness And Downtime by musicwriter(m): 10:09am On Jun 23, 2017
koboko69:

Lol. Smh

In case you are shaking your because you don't understand it, be informed if this site suddenly achieve 100 million members tomorrow morning, the site would crash. In fact, if all the current members log in plus visitors, the site would crash and you won't open a single page until the load reduce.

This is why sites like Google or Facebook hosts their own sites- they host their host. Because, if they don't do so, a host company could change them up to $10 million to host their site in a day!!.

Nairaland could get so popular that their current ads revenue won't be enough to cover hosting cost. This is one of the reason some sites with millions of members sell their site to a bigger company, because they are unable to keep up with hosting cost.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Slowness And Downtime by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jun 23, 2017
factwriter:

Animals

You call your fellow countrymen ANIMALS simply because they don't share your religious faith?

Well someone once told me all Nigerian Muslims are goats.

Yes! GOATS, while the REST of the country's population are GRASS.

Do the maths Bro.

No be only grass. Zombie
Re: Nairaland Slowness And Downtime by optional1(f): 7:36am On Jun 24, 2017
Mr Seun please shut this site for at least two hours or more from 10am-12noon and fix this host error.

Is getting so annoying and irritating.
Re: Nairaland Slowness And Downtime by Martin0(m): 7:44am On Jun 24, 2017
optional1:
Mr Seun please shut this site for at least two hours or more from 10am-12noon and fix this host error.

Is getting so annoying and irritating.
ow I thought was just affecting me alone
Re: Nairaland Slowness And Downtime by Giel: 7:55am On Jun 24, 2017
Martin0:

It still happens but not as bad as before, experienced it last, last night
Re: Nairaland Slowness And Downtime by SULBELL(m): 9:51am On Jun 24, 2017
kingdenny:
Too much "I wish, I will, I would " in this public information.
Don't you have people you work with or work for you , at least your mods are one
Rather it should be "we wish, we will we would "
No one does it alone
seun pls heed to this advise. A single tree doesn't make a forest. Even if you own it all and does it all, it is advisable to use "we" as you gain more respect and indirectly makes people around you feel relevant.
one of my boss told me "never use I do this; I need this; when interacting with a client, rather use we did this; we need that; even if everything is done solely by me. Cos using We increase the value of the firm and gives the feel that since many people worked on it, it just got to be the best".
wishing Nairaland quick recovery.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Slowness And Downtime by Nobody: 10:04am On Jun 24, 2017
ooh and I tot I was the only one experiencing this problem, huh.
Re: Nairaland Slowness And Downtime by optional1(f): 10:45am On Jun 24, 2017
Martin0:

he should just shut this place down and work on this shiit is more than 5days now, this shiit has been happening..

Mr seun shut this site down for some hours.
Re: Nairaland Slowness And Downtime by bassdow: 2:35pm On Jun 24, 2017
musicwriter:

Good luck.

Nairaland's Issue isn't BandWidth. Error 500 is a server issue. I believe the Database is really under stress.

I want to believe nairaland's Issue has to do with many things including
1. Needs Database Optimizations.

2. CMS issues. Believe me, every CMS has a limit to what it can handle. Nairaland being a CMS coupled with the fact it runs on PHP is another major issue.
Don't you think there's a reason why websites such as StackOverflow changed architecture. They even had to make the backend run on python (I think). Facebook despite all the server farms it had and also running on a custom dedicated script had to go as far as tweaking PHP among other things.
As long as Nairaland remains on the real CMS it was initially built on, Am sorry no amount of server Upgrade would save it easily.
Also, i kinda cringe whenever I see useless unnecessary posts and threads as I know all those goes into the database causing further clutter.

Upgrading to a higher server might resolve the current issue But believe me, it's only a temporary solution.

Possible Solution

1. Change CMS (This is much more cost effective). There are other forum scripts (though not free) out there much more optimized for intense load.

2. Rebuild and Upgrade nairaland for Traffic. I don't think Seun had any idea how big Nairaland would grow. He probably just installed a Forum script, and started populating it. Hence Nairaland was never prepared for being this Huge or Traffic.
Now since it's really popular and huge, i believe it's time to revisit it and make necessary amendments. Every successful high trafficked and huge website / app / software passes through the Upgrade stage.

3. PHP has evolved and with PHP 7.x, lot's of scripts & websites are running to catch up. Am not just a developer But also a server Admin (atleast on an advanced Junior Level) and I know what am saying. I don't think SMF or whatever script Nairaland is running on has been made PHP 7 compatible hence lot's of websites running on such a script are missing out on a lot of improvements and advance features on offer.

4. Upgrade to Nginx or other better Apache alternatives

5. Host the Database on a Dedicated server.

6. Also please try to keep the database Cleaner by ensuring the following:
-Ensure or prevent double registrations. Due to the way people are banned, so many people have resorted to having alternate Nairaland
accounts. It's like MTN saying they have 5,000,000 Users when over 2/5 of those Users are second or Third Sims. I know of those who have
about 5 MTN sims (especially if Cheat dey).
Nairaland's current Stats says Stats: 1,828,290 members and trust me, almost half of them are alternate accounts.
Some Nairaland users aren't registered members (This is true for those in high business class). They prefer just glancing or reading posts with
out posting or replying.
-Get someone to go through Various threads and identify useless Topics for possible deletions.
-Make some things static so as to reduce database calls. I once inherited a high traffic CMS website where even the colors of the Nav Menus
and other aesthetics get's their data from the database.

7. and lot's more other.

PSS: I believe Nairaland is way Over-due for a major Upgrade. Lot's of features are missing from such a Website. If not the Traffic which is constantly dropping, Nairaland would have gone into extinction.

Abeg Mr Seun and His Crew should tact necessary actions while they can

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Slowness And Downtime by bassdow: 2:38pm On Jun 24, 2017
Seun:
Dear Nairalanders,

Best regards,
Seun Osewa.

Nairaland's Issue isn't BandWidth. It'is a server issue Relative to website Architecture. I believe the Database is really under stress.

I want to believe nairaland's Issue has to do with many things including
1. Needs Database Optimizations.

2. CMS issues. Believe me, every CMS has a limit to what it can handle. Nairaland being a CMS coupled with the fact it runs on PHP is another major issue.
Don't you think there's a reason why websites such as StackOverflow changed architecture. They even had to make the backend run on python (I think). Facebook despite all the server farms it had and also running on a custom dedicated script had to go as far as tweaking PHP among other things.
As long as Nairaland remains on the real CMS it was initially built on, Am sorry no amount of server Upgrade would save it easily.
Also, i kinda cringe whenever I see useless unnecessary posts and threads as I know all those goes into the database causing further clutter.

Upgrading to a higher server might resolve the current issue But believe me, it's only a temporary solution.

Possible Solution

1. Change CMS (This is much more cost effective). There are other forum scripts (though not free) out there much more optimized for intense load.

2. Rebuild and Upgrade nairaland for Traffic. I don't think Seun had any idea how big Nairaland would grow. He probably just installed a Forum script, and started populating it. Hence Nairaland was never prepared for being this Huge or Traffic.
Now since it's really popular and huge, i believe it's time to revisit it and make necessary amendments. Every successful high trafficked and huge website / app / software passes through the Upgrade stage.

3. PHP has evolved and with PHP 7.x, lot's of scripts & websites are running to catch up. Am not just a developer But also a server Admin (atleast on an advanced Junior Level) and I know what am saying. I don't think SMF or whatever script Nairaland is running on has been made PHP 7 compatible hence lot's of websites running on such a script are missing out on a lot of improvements and advance features on offer.

4. Upgrade to Nginx or other better Apache alternatives

5. Host the Database on a Dedicated server.

6. Also please try to keep the database Cleaner by ensuring the following:
-Ensure or prevent double registrations. Due to the way people are banned, so many people have resorted to having alternate Nairaland
accounts. It's like MTN saying they have 5,000,000 Users when over 2/5 of those Users are second or Third Sims. I know of those who have
about 5 MTN sims (especially if Cheat dey).
Nairaland's current Stats says Stats: 1,828,290 members and trust me, almost half of them are alternate accounts.
Some Nairaland users aren't registered members (This is true for those in high business class). They prefer just glancing or reading posts with
out posting or replying.
-Get someone to go through Various threads and identify useless Topics for possible deletions.
-Make some things static so as to reduce database calls. I once inherited a high traffic CMS website where even the colors of the Nav Menus
and other aesthetics get's their data from the database.

7. and lot's more other.

PSS: I believe Nairaland is way Over-due for a major Upgrade. Lot's of features are missing from such a Website. If not the Traffic which is constantly dropping, Nairaland would have gone into extinction.

Abeg Mr Seun and His Crew should act necessary actions while they can

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nairaland Slowness And Downtime by Nobody: 5:22am On Jun 25, 2017
Seun:
Dear Nairalanders,

Best regards,
Seun Osewa.

I had a dream few days ago. In my dream, I saw Osibanjo and Buratai chasing you round a track with a big venomous snake, as they were about to catch you, I saw Lewis Hamilton with a keke emerge from the dug out. He grabbed your sokoto, pulled you into the Keke. Osibaba and Buratai were riding in a monster vehicle with heavy chains but very bad engine. I didn't witness the drama that happened next because my silly alarm woke me. I haven't prayed in a long time but I knelt down immediately beside my bed and prayed very hard and decreed that every evil power that will stop me from visiting nairaland to shout and deliver my daily dose of Afonja, scratch face and ewedu be arrested and scattered like the harmattan dust.

Your source of livelihood and swag must not be touched. Any power that will attempt to stop the shouting of IPOB, Igbo, Afonja, cone head and Ap shyte should quench by fire.

Seun let me hear you shout Amen

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Slowness And Downtime by HiMag: 10:43am On Jun 25, 2017
Hello Seun,

I've been trying to reach you. I have ads pending on Nairaland, I need to know how to credit my account. Please revert. It is very urgent.

Thank you

Seun:
Dear Nairalanders,

Best regards,
Seun Osewa.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Slowness And Downtime by musicwriter(m): 9:03pm On Jun 25, 2017
@bassdow

I believe the Database is really under stress.

That's exactly what I was talking about, just a matter of technical terms. See response I gave the other guy. Whatever the technical term, the point is the server is over loaded. I believe on a daily basis Nairalanders would generate and add anything from 5GB-10GB new load of file to wherever Nairaland hosted. That's the principal cause of the problem. Every other suggestion you made, though a good idea, would amount to treating symptoms.
Re: Nairaland Slowness And Downtime by bassdow: 9:34pm On Jun 25, 2017
musicwriter:
@bassdow

That's exactly what I was talking about, just a matter of technical terms. See response I gave the other guy. Whatever the technical term, the point is the server is over loaded. I believe on a daily basis Nairalanders would generate and add anything from 5GB-10GB new load of file to wherever Nairaland hosted. That's the principal cause of the problem. Every other suggestion you made, though a good idea, would amount to treating symptoms.

You may say Nairaland members keeps generating contents on daily basis But that's what Nairaland is meant for and can't be stopped else no need being here.

Database is really under stress But I bet you that if most steps are taken, the stress would be reduced.

- There's a reason why Caches are used. To reduce calls to database right.
- If most things aren't hard coded, but stored in database, same stress on it
- If you don't deal with Spam, double registrations, etc;
- If you host your database on the same server as where the website is hosted, same stress.
- If you don't use up to date technology e.g PHP 7, same stress.
And so much more.

The truth is Nairaland has outgrown so many things and is way overdue for redesign and upgrade.
People might suggest upgrading the server But that's only a temporary solution.

Another quick advice,
-host Nairaland database server on a different server away from where the files are hosted.
-Make sure the disks are SSD.
-Optimize the database just like you do on a Windows Pc

A long term solution would be to migrate Nairaland to a much more superior script up.to.date with technology changes.
Re: Nairaland Slowness And Downtime by titus1: 10:42pm On Jun 25, 2017
HiMag:
Hello Seun,

I've been trying to reach you. I have ads pending on Nairaland, I need to know how to credit my account. Please revert. It is very urgent.

Thank you

I also have a pendding advert which I already paid for and the thing is that nairaland is not even responding to mail or any other messages which is not good enough on my side
Re: Nairaland Slowness And Downtime by Seun(m): 4:37pm On Jun 26, 2017
And we're back! kiss kiss kiss

28 Likes 8 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Policeman Pictured Sleeping On A Car In Ibadan / 7-Year-Old Boy Electrocuted In Benin (Photos, Video) / How To Get Rid Of Soldier Ants Effectively

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.