Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,523 members, 7,808,904 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:08 PM

Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. (3900 Views)

Nigeria To Develop A Seaport In Ondo State / 10 Biggest And Busiest Markets In Nigeria That Are Saving The Nation From Hunger / FG Confirm $3.9 Billion For Construction Of New Seaport In Warri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by Explorers(m): 5:26am On Jun 24, 2017
The busiest ports in the world are determined by the container traffic passing through them.

The biggest ports in the world are not the busiest.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_busiest_container_ports?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C8410987084

lalasticlala, mynd44

Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by Nobody: 5:27am On Jun 24, 2017
At the end of the list, North American or Europe ports no even make the list no to talk of Africa. Asia no dey smile at all.

It's a pity, someday we would get there hopefully.
Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by Mightyraw(m): 5:28am On Jun 24, 2017
Lez ride with you explorer
Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by Explorers(m): 5:32am On Jun 24, 2017
1. Shanghai Port(Goliath Of Global Trade), 36.5million Containers.

Whether it's the car you drove to work, the computer at your desk your mobile phones, your children's toys strewn across their bedroom floor, there's a very good chance they have come from here.

This is the world's busiest trading port which handles a staggering 36million containers a year carrying over 750million tonnes of goods to far-flung places around the globe.

The port forms a very viable maritime porting channel for the River Yangtze and the East China Sea.

The construction and development of the port has been acclaimed to be the crucial factor in the development of the city of Shanghai.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by Explorers(m): 5:42am On Jun 24, 2017
2. Singapore Port, 31million Containers.

Regarded to be one of the biggest hub for transhipment activities, about 31 million Twenty-Feet Equivalent Units (TEUs) were handled by the port in 2015.

Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by Explorers(m): 5:50am On Jun 24, 2017
3. Shenzhen, China. (25million).

The port of Shenzhen caters to industrial units and companies situated on the delta of the River Pearl.

The port is regarded to be the second most-engaged shipping ports in China, especially in the Southern part of the Chinese mainland about 25million containers every year.

Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by Explorers(m): 5:56am On Jun 24, 2017
4. Ningbo-Zhoushan, China(20.6million)

Another Chinese porting facility, the Ningbo port is a highly regarded port in the country of China.

This is mainly because it helps facilitate an ease in the marine activities carried out between the Northern and Southern part of the country.

The Ningbo recently made headlines as it was effectively merged with the port of Zhoushan to help better the nation’s freight handling operations.

Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by Nobody: 5:56am On Jun 24, 2017
If Nigeria makes this list, quote me for 10,000 naira cash. Just quote me. Nigeria is so hopeless and messed up that if you go to our Ports, you will see Ships coming in with goods but leaving empty!

I just weak for this nation.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by Explorers(m): 6:00am On Jun 24, 2017
Port of Hong Kong(20.07million)

Serving the South China Sea and a pivotal factor in the advancement of the Hong Kong province, the port of Hong Kong is 5th on the list.

It’s inclusion as one of the busiest marine ports dates back to as early as 1987, when it was rated as the top busiest ports.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by dwana91(m): 6:03am On Jun 24, 2017
Nice one
Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by dwana91(m): 6:05am On Jun 24, 2017
iamexcelblog:
If Nigeria makes this list, quote me for 10,000 naira cash. Just quote me. Nigeria is so hopeless and messed up that if you go to our Ports, you will see Ships coming in with goods but leaving empty!

Naija ke, i weak pass you
Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by Explorers(m): 6:07am On Jun 24, 2017
Port Of Busan, South Korea(19.5million).

Catering for the South Korean city of Busan as a leading contributor to its economic activities, the port of Busan features 6th on the list.

Its container handling touches figures over 19 million TEUs, making it a veritable challenger to its other Asian counterparts, in the years to come.

Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by Kakamorufu(m): 6:09am On Jun 24, 2017
following.
Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by Explorers(m): 6:13am On Jun 24, 2017
Port of Qingdao, China(17.3million).

The port of Qingdao caters for the province of Qingdao, located near the River Yellow.

The port is well-known for handling bulk carrier (dry-bulk) vessels, with its handling figures, crossing over 17 million TEUs.

Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by Nobody: 6:14am On Jun 24, 2017
Followed
Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by Explorers(m): 6:21am On Jun 24, 2017
Port of Guangzhou, China(17.09million)

The nation’s busiest port in its Southern part, the port of Guangzhou caters for its namesake city.

It’s a primary port for general transit and core shipping activities carried out in the surrounding provinces along with helping marine activities in the delta of the River Pearl.

Handling over 17 million containers a year.

Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by Explorers(m): 6:25am On Jun 24, 2017
Jebel Ali, Dubai, United Arab Emirates(15.5million)

The port is yet another star-studded attraction to the emirate of Dubai, of the United Arab Emirates.

The port has recorded a TEU-handling of over 15 million a year.

Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by Efewestern: 6:29am On Jun 24, 2017
was expecting to see Lagos port on the list.
lolz... junk overrated seaport.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by Explorers(m): 6:35am On Jun 24, 2017
10. Port of Tianjin, China(13.8million).

Formerly known as the Port of Tanggu, is the largest port in Northern China and the main maritime gateway to Beijing.

Tianjin Port handled 500 million tonnes of cargo and over 13 million TEU of containers a year making it the world's largest port throughput tonnage and container.

The port trades with more than 600 ports in 180 countries and territories around the world.

It is served by over 115 regular container lines and run by 60 liner companies, including all the top 20 liners.

Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by Nobody: 6:47am On Jun 24, 2017
China should be the world power already Na.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by melodyogonna(m): 6:55am On Jun 24, 2017
why only asian countries??

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by Explorers(m): 6:57am On Jun 24, 2017
iamexcelblog:

Get up bro, we're getting there someday.

Even the United States, Europe countries are not on the list.

I checked top 50 busiest seaport, we have only three African countries taking three postitions on the list, South Africa, Morocco and Egypt.

Europe is taking about 15 positions.

United states took 5 positions.

Asia took over 25 positions.
Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by Explorers(m): 6:59am On Jun 24, 2017
melodyogonna:
why only asian countries??

The thing weak me o....

Maybe ayamconfidence, cfcman, rich4god, wristbangle, ichommy, funjosh can explain better.
Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by Nobody: 7:12am On Jun 24, 2017
Explorer explore me nah abeg
Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by wristbangle: 7:29am On Jun 24, 2017
Explorers:

The thing weak me o....

Maybe ayamconfidnce, cfcmn, rich4od, wristbangl, ichomy, funjsh can explain better.

Population is one of the key factor boss cool
Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by Ishilove: 7:30am On Jun 24, 2017
fuckerstard:
Patiently waiting, i hope Tin can go make the list someday.
In our children's generation
Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by ichommy(m): 7:43am On Jun 24, 2017
Explorers:

The thing weak me o....

Maybe ayamconfidence, cfcman, rich4god, wristbangle, ichommy, funjosh can explain better.

Singapore was able to leverage on the transformation that happened with the rise of containerisation in 1966 ( Page on worldshipping.org ) which made globalisation possible in the first place.

With containerisation, consumer electronics and their precursors can be reliably transported.

Singapore with its lower labour cost took on the bulk of assembly in the beginning, moving up the chain to Printed circuit board and Integrated circuit .

The
Foreign direct investment kept on pouring in due to very generous concessions and very low local taxes due to Transfer pricing . This made Singapore both an exporter of finished products and an importer of precursors, further inducing its use as a hub by the regional manufacturers.

Note: Japan was the manufacturing powerhouse in the 1980s before being taken over by China.

This was facilitated by the Nixon Shock and the subsequent
Smithsonian Agreement and
Plaza Accord .

The astute move of switching the peg of the Singapore dollar from the Pound sterling to the USD and on to a basket during those tumultuous times helped tremendously too. Japanese firms reeling from the effects of the currency war were able to retain their profitability by moving the lower value-add manufacturing activities to Singapore.

Singapore's government helped to tailor the education system to create trained workers in advance to ease the transition.

Singapore was subsequently able to delay the eventual migration of these MNCs for a while through the importation of lower cost production workers from overseas while retaining the high paying QC, engineering and management jobs for Singaporeans.

This is discussed in more detail in Mak Kah Jun's answer to How did Lee Kuan Yew view the Singapore-China relationship?
Singapore's deep and sheltered harbour deserves some elaboration.

Based on tide forecast , Singapore's tides are quite gentle with a 2 metres range between tides. However, Malaysia's Penang, Malacca and later Klang ports and Indonesia's Air Musi and Jakarta ports are all quite gentle too.

But these 5 ports lose out in their anchorage depths which have trouble fitting the 16 metres draft of a Maersk Triple E class when compared to Keppel's 20 metres. While it is possible to dredge, it takes quite a bit of effort.

Additionally, a strictly neutral
Entrepôt between Malaysia and Indonesia serves both their interests. They are not worried about the other party overcharging in an attempted stealth embargo. Singapore's survival depends on its neutrality.

Having a port each would have decreased the economies of scale and hub ability. Having a bunch of middle income citizens from port activities is also highly destabilising for these 2 countries, just like how the Californian cities and New York city are different from the rest of the USA and frequently acts in minor defiance of Washington, D.C.

100% foreign ownership incorporation rules and a good commercial and Admiralty arbitration system gives peace of mind for companies to set up shop and do their trading here. "Singapore has a reputation for fairness and impartiality in commercial law , and is a popular jurisdiction for arbitration and trial in South-East Asia. " ( Judicial system of Singapore ) with an Admiralty Court established since 2002 ( Page on webcitation.org /Supreme Court: 4 February 2002 ).

As mentioned in Mak Kah Jun's answer to What are the economic repercussions of digging a canal across the Isthmus of Kra, which links the Andaman Sea and South China Sea?

Singapore being at a good transshipment junction for Malaysia, Indonesia and Australia negotiating with American, Chinese and European ships, can efficiently process a ship in less than half a day ( MPA - Global hub port ).

Singapore's 73 moves per hour while lower than 100+ of the world's best ( berth productivity - APM Terminals ) is almost double the speed of Malaysia's Port of Tanjung Pelepas and Indonesia's
JICT .

Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by Nobody: 8:30am On Jun 24, 2017
China all over
Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by Nobody: 9:44am On Jun 24, 2017
wristbangle:

Population is one of the key factor boss cool

It has nothing to do with population bro. If not, Africa should be topping the chart after Asia!

It has everything to do with productivity and initiative.

An apt example of this is when I hear people say that Biafra is landlocked and will never succeed. Many countries in Africa have unlimited supply and access of SEA. What did they do with it?

I was surprised Netherlands was not there. This is a very small country but one of the worlds top food and agro exporter... After USA and CHINA.

My point is that its not much about population. You can have the population and still be messed up. e.g Nigeria.
Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by wristbangle: 10:28am On Jun 24, 2017
iamexcelblog:

It has nothing to do with population bro. If not, Africa should be topping the chart after Asia!

An apt example of this is when I hear people say that Biafra is landlocked and will never succeed. Many countries in Africa have unlimited supply and access of SEA. What did they do with it?

I was surprised Netherlands was not there. This is a very small country but one of the worlds top food and agro exporter... After USA and CHINA.

My point is that its not much about population. You can have the population and still be messed up. e.g Nigeria.

Sir in terms of port sector ,population is one of the key factors which means a huge market for consumption and exportation of raw/finished goods.

Skilled Labour, Economic productivity, Technology advancement and others are also critical factors but Africa lags behind in these factors which is the reason you won't see an African country there.
Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by Aremu01(m): 11:17am On Jun 24, 2017
O Boi China get mouth o
Re: Top 10 Busiest Container Seaport In The World. by Explorers(m): 11:17am On Jun 24, 2017
iamexcelblog:

Netherlands is 11th on the list, 50 busiest seaports.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Admob Selfclicking; How To Make $100+ A Month With Just Your Smart Phone. / Setting Up Nursery/primary School Or Computer Training/tutorial Centre Business / Where To Buy Courier Box

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.