Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,869 members, 7,806,477 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:04 PM

Nnamdi Azikiwe Prevented the North from Seceding. Was He Plain Selfish Or Wise? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nnamdi Azikiwe Prevented the North from Seceding. Was He Plain Selfish Or Wise? (4443 Views)

Philip Shaibu Takes Over Political Leadership Of Edo North From Adams Oshiomhole / Ayefele: Ajimobi Said He Would Have Prevented The Demolition If We Had Begged / Hausa Audio: Kill All Igbos In North From October 1. Don't Touch Yorubas - Deji (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Prevented the North from Seceding. Was He Plain Selfish Or Wise? by OAFMods: 10:59pm On Jun 25, 2017
LordAdam16:

What sort of senseless beast are you?

How can you type this nonsense?

"The long list of nations that forget the program that occur on their land each understood the essence of forgiveness not bragado like the Igbos are demanding."

Tutsi rebels killed a sitting Hutu President. Hutus declared genocide on Tutsis. The killings ended and many of the Hutu killers were tried and executed, with acceptance by the Hutu populace.

Sikh guards killed an Hindu Prime Minister. Hindu leaders called for a Sikh pogrom. When the killings ended, many of these Hindu killers were tried and executed, with acceptance by the Hindu populace.

In Nigeria, young conspirators from each of the major ethnic groups carried out a coup. A counter coup occurred and original coup plotters were remanded in prison, and placed on trial. Yet that wasn't enough, you guys had to orchestrate a pogrom of 2 million Igbos. The killings ended. Ojukwu was even ready to look past that and entered a last-minute Aburi agreement. The North/West still flouted the accord and then proceeded to kill another 1 million plus. None of the killers were apprehended, in fact they were and are still cheered 50 years later.

I am convinced you are a lieutenant to the Devil and have a reserved spot on Hell's Roster.

I would not continue to reply a senseless, marauding beast who is entirely devoid of empathy and fairness.

You talk about Germany just paying off reparations completely in 2014. But you forgot that the US/UK/France created a Marshall plan for Germany and reintegration into Western Europe in the end of the War that laid the foundations for them becoming the largest European economy today. The same thing was done for the belligerent Japan, which set the stage for them to become the World's 3rd largest economy.

In fact, in the same Hawaii where the Japanese Navy hit America hard (during the Pearl Harbor incident that precipitated the twin nuclear attacks) the local population of Japanese Americans is half the population of Caucasian Americans. The Asian population is larger than the Caucasian American population.

How you can compare the North/West to the Western World in integration efforts with a straight face is sacrilegious.

Going by the Nigerian response, Germany and Japan should have become a Somalia not become the largest economies of their respective continents (China eclipsed Japan recently).

I'm done with you.

The Igbos don't need to win the next war, they only need to force Nigeria to start it. And if like in 1967 you guys force it despite the repeated opportunities to avoid it, history would not be kind to you guys. Mark my words. Nigeria would become Africa's version of Yugoslavia.

-Lord

There will be no empathy for the Igbos. Instead more death is what you will get. I am also yet to see where the murderous Igbo rebels that killied the sitting prime minister of Nigeria was brought to justice. The Igbo rebels did not only kill the sitting prime minister of Nigeria he killed the head of each and every single region leaving only that of his region.

Every Igbo rebel in the Nigerian army that partook in that daredevil genocide against the elected leaders of Nigeria at that time need to beheaded and the skull paraded like ISIS parades the lively skull of their victims. That is what justice sounds like to me after that has been done we can now look at why Ojukwu went to war without provision to feed the people he lead to war thereby starving 3 million of them to death and also pit his entire lineage born n unborn through the guillotine.

I hope this solves the mystery of your senseless claim of genocide against the Igbo. Anyone reading the conversation would have thought the Igbo's sat in their houses and the Nigeria army went about killing them one by one not understanding a lunatic of a leader in Ojukwu could not provide food to the populace under his country but instead expect Nigeria who he was at who with to provide food for his army and those civilian under his country.

The same Ojukwu at a point turn down food provision from France and instead requested for guns and ammunition in the midst of the suffering Biafrans children yet demented clown like you would rather blame Nigeria and Awo for the starvation instead of crucifying Ojukwu for the thoughtless and foolish beast he is.

9 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Prevented the North from Seceding. Was He Plain Selfish Or Wise? by gberra: 12:15am On Jun 26, 2017
I am so angry in my spirit. angry

1. We need to go exhume Azikiwe's body at his mausoleum, slice his body in pieces, grind his bones into a scouring powder & give his flesh as feeds to the fishes in the Lagoon.

2. Lordadam16's attempts at turning history on its head so as to suit his narratives is even more annoying. Trying to curry my sympathy as being a mid-westerner ain't working on me.
I don't even know where to start to debunk his several unbalanced claims.
Pathetic!

6 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Prevented the North from Seceding. Was He Plain Selfish Or Wise? by Nobody: 12:25am On Jun 26, 2017
LordAdam16:

Was he Pan-Africanist? Yes.

Did he have grandiose dreams about a United Nigeria? Yes.

But like most Pan-Africanists, in his dream he saw himself at the helm of affairs and others bowing to him. So, you can't discount his selfishness. Whether it was his primary drive is arguable, but dismissing it in its entirety is just making a saint out of him.

The only Pan-African I can speak well of is Kenneth Kaunda of Zambia. Nkrumah and Zik, for all their achievements, were a disgrace to the ideology. Nkrumah became a dictator and Zik was shockingly inconsistent. In 1967 he was spokesperson for Biafra, couple of months later he had switched to the Nigerian side since he felt the war was not winnable for Biafra. Even after that, he continued contesting for the Presidency until 1983, and only left politics after the '83 coup.

I think it is important to be critical of icons to learn from their mistakes. Everyone so often likes to make people like the Sardauna (who was vehemently opposed to Independence but ironically referred to as one of the principal Nigerian Nationalism figures, even eclipsing Enarhoro who forward the motion for Independence in the House of Rep), Awo, and Zik larger than life because of the roles they played for nationalism. Not to take anything from any of them, but this is counter-productive.

Even though the US celebrate George Washington for his nationalistic efforts, they do not hurriedly forget how he sleazily amassed 52,000 acres of productive land by cheating some of the same soldiers who fought under him.

The ideals vs realities of most of the original Pan-Africanists paint a rather grim picture. Nyerere of Tanzania, Toure of Guinea, Nkrumah of Ghana, and Ghadaffi of Libya were all dictators for all their intelligence, oratory, and beliefs. When push comes to shove, power or even just the promise of it can truly corrupt.

-Lord
I bow to your analysis.
Very true.

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Prevented the North from Seceding. Was He Plain Selfish Or Wise? by LordAdam16: 7:25am On Jun 26, 2017
gberra:

1. We need to go exhume Azikiwe's body at his mausoleum, slice his body in pieces, grind his bones into a scouring powder & give his flesh as feeds to the fishes in the Lagoon.

2. Lordadam16's attempts at turning history on its head so as to suit his narratives is even more annoying. Trying to curry my sympathy as being a mid-westerner ain't working on me.
Pathetic!

Hate. That is all I see.

Just join ISIS, you'd at least be able to let it out.

-Lord
Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Prevented the North from Seceding. Was He Plain Selfish Or Wise? by LordAdam16: 7:52am On Jun 26, 2017
OAFMods:

There will be no empathy for the Igbos. Instead more death is what you will get. I am also yet to see where the murderous Igbo rebels that killied the sitting prime minister of Nigeria was brought to justice. The Igbo rebels did not only kill the sitting prime minister of Nigeria he killed the head of each and every single region leaving only that of his region.

Every Igbo rebel in the Nigerian army that partook in that daredevil genocide against the elected leaders of Nigeria at that time need to beheaded and the skull paraded like ISIS parades the lively skull of their victims. That is what justice sounds like to me after that has been done we can now look at why Ojukwu went to war without provision to feed the people he lead to war thereby starving 3 million of them to death and also pit his entire lineage born n unborn through the guillotine.

I hope this solves the mystery of your senseless claim of genocide against the Igbo. Anyone reading the conversation would have thought the Igbo's sat in their houses and the Nigeria army went about killing them one by one not understanding a lunatic of a leader in Ojukwu could not provide food to the populace under his country but instead expect Nigeria who he was at who with to provide food for his army and those civilian under his country.

The same Ojukwu at a point turn down food provision from France and instead requested for guns and ammunition in the midst of the suffering Biafrans children yet demented clown like you would rather blame Nigeria and Awo for the starvation instead of crucifying Ojukwu for the thoughtless and foolish beast he is.

Why did the counter-coupists not kill all of them? What held them despite they being in power for over 35 years. In fact two of the Yorubas in the original coup went on to write books. They only killed two of the original coupists Okafor and Anuforo. Why didn't they kill all of them, if that was their anger.

After all, the counter-coupists were able to kill (according to some estimates) 50 to 100 Igbo soldiers during the counter-coup.

In 1960, there were only 3 commissioned officers from the North. 70% of officers were from the Eastern region.

In fact, when they killed Ironsi. The next highest ranking officer was a Yoruba man--Ogundipe. After Ogundipe, you had another Yoruba man--Adebayo. The North skipped at least 5 other senior officers from the South including Ojukwu to make Gowon the Military Ruler.

This crass nepotism did not end there.

In fact, it was the North that drummed the beat of secession first after the Jan 66 coup. It was Sir Francis, the British High Commissioner, that ordered Gowon not to let that happen on August 1, 1966. Go and read history. And he was pressured to find a solution with the Easterners, that one of the reasons why he even traveled to Ghana to discuss and agree on the Aburi Accord in 67. Yet, after agreeing to the accord, he came back to Nigeria and reneged on it.

You and the rest of you marauding fellas are all a bunch of deplorable, blood-thirsty, war-mongering ethnicists. You will choke on the blood you are looking for.

-Lord

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Prevented the North from Seceding. Was He Plain Selfish Or Wise? by OAFMods: 10:43am On Jun 26, 2017
LordAdam16:

Why did the counter-coupists not kill all of them? What held them despite they being in power for over 35 years. In fact two of the Yorubas in the original coup went on to write books. They only killed two of the original coupists Okafor and Anuforo. Why didn't they kill all of them, if that was their anger.

After all, the counter-coupists were able to kill (according to some estimates) 50 to 100 Igbo soldiers during the counter-coup.

In 1960, there were only 3 commissioned officers from the North. 70% of officers were from the Eastern region.

In fact, when they killed Ironsi. The next highest ranking officer was a Yoruba man--Ogundipe. After Ogundipe, you had another Yoruba man--Adebayo. The North skipped at least 5 other senior officers from the South including Ojukwu to make Gowon the Military Ruler.

This crass nepotism did not end there.

In fact, it was the North that drummed the beat of secession first after the Jan 66 coup. It was Sir Francis, the British High Commissioner, that ordered Gowon not to let that happen on August 1, 1966. Go and read history. And he was pressured to find a solution with the Easterners, that one of the reasons why he even traveled to Ghana to discuss and agree on the Aburi Accord in 67. Yet, after agreeing to the accord, he came back to Nigeria and reneged on it.

You and the rest of you marauding fellas are all a bunch of deplorable, blood-thirsty, war-mongering ethnicists. You will choke on the blood you are looking for.

-Lord

They did not because they needed to prove to the world that they are not blood thirsty vampires like the Igbos that led the first coup who killed a democratically elected prime minister and every elected premier of every region except theirs. The commissioned officers of Igbo extraction are what you lose having failed to stamp your authority with the counter coup.

It is one of the thing you should stop crying about. What nepotism is bigger than orchestrating a coup in a country that never experienced once ? A coup led by Igbo with Igbo's killing all elected representative of different tribes in Nigeria. When will you come to terms with the fact that your tribe is full of evil whenever it can not have whatever it want.

When 70% of Igbo dominated the army like you claimed the Hausa did not cry marginalization like you pussie Igbo do today you claim it's done on merit but when Hausa does the same with minister you ediot claim it is nepotism/marginalisation n what have you. I would have love to let you know how mad n pathetic your argument sound with lots of curses but for NL rules.

Igbo's are the sick entity in Nigeria, the rules of engagement is simple go for whatever you desire have enough man n brain power to assert your demand, ensure you have your way n that's it you goal is achieved. But you Igbo want to go to war and still demand equal right which you never granted when you lose out.

A typical example is the Nigeria football team. Every Nigerian respect your ingenuity n do not demand a quota rule but when you see Hausa being giver lower cut off's the ediots among you start screaming to heaven like you are on the same educational pedestal with them.

Nigerian allowed Igbos dominate the federal ministry during the Zik / Balewa era without anyone making noise but because you lost out and the ministry is now dominated by most Yoruba n Hausa now it is marginalisation. It is amadioha that will strike your yansh with thunder.

7 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Prevented the North from Seceding. Was He Plain Selfish Or Wise? by OAFMods: 10:48am On Jun 26, 2017
gberra:

Pathetic!

That jerk deliberately write long essay hiding lies and ridiculous claim, several fallacies to brain wash the Igbos if those are not debunked one would think Igbo's were saint with the Nigerian army picking them up and killing the civilians one by one.

6 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Prevented the North from Seceding. Was He Plain Selfish Or Wise? by LordAdam16: 10:53am On Jun 26, 2017
OAFMods:

[s]They did not because they needed to prove to the world that they are not blood thirsty vampires like the Igbos that led the first coup who killed a democratically elected prime minister and every elected premier of every region except theirs. The commissioned officers of Igbo extraction are what you lose having failed to stamp your authority with the counter coup.

It is one of the thing you should stop crying about. What nepotism is bigger than orchestrating a coup in a country that never experienced once ? A coup led by Igbo with Igbo's killing all elected representative of different tribes in Nigeria. When will you come to terms with the fact that your tribe is full of evil whenever it can not have whatever it want.

When 70% of Igbo dominated the army like you claimed the Hausa did not cry marginalization like you pussie Igbo do today you claim it's done on merit but when Hausa does the same with minister you ediot claim it is nepotism/marginalisation n what have you. I would have love to let you know how mad n pathetic your argument sound with lots of curses but for NL rules.

Igbo's are the sick entity in Nigeria, the rules of engagement is simple go for whatever you desire have enough man n brain power to assert your demand, ensure you have your way n that's it you goal is achieved. But you Igbo want to go to war and still demand equal right which you never granted when you lose out.

A typical example is the Nigeria football team. Every Nigerian respect your ingenuity n do not demand a quota rule but when you see Hausa being giver lower cut off's the ediots among you start screaming to heaven like you are on the same educational pedestal with them.

Nigerian allowed Igbos dominate the federal ministry during the Zik / Balewa era without anyone making noise but because you lost out and the ministry is now dominated by most Yoruba n Hausa now it is marginalisation. It is amadioha that will strike your yansh with thunder.[/s]

Did the Igbos cry out when the Defense Minister, Ribadu, in 1960 said North would have 50% of the military recruitment slots to promote better representation in the Armed Forces?

Or don't you know what marginalization is? Meritocracy was the order of the day under the British, and only educated people could become officers. And since then till this day, the Southerners have been more educated. The majority of non-commissioned officers were from the North, majority of which were Tivs.

The reason why we have Buhari without a certificate as a general is because of this rush to fill up the army with Northerners.

I'm done with you.

-Lord

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Prevented the North from Seceding. Was He Plain Selfish Or Wise? by gberra: 11:56am On Jun 26, 2017
OAFMods:

That jerk deliberately write long essay hiding lies and ridiculous claim, several fallacies to brain wash the Igbos if those are not debunked one would think Igbo's were saint with the Nigerian army picking them up and killing the civilians one by one.
He usually twists facts and he does it professionally. He has many gullible Igbo followers that swarm around him like a clump of bees. cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Prevented the North from Seceding. Was He Plain Selfish Or Wise? by gberra: 12:09pm On Jun 26, 2017
LordAdam16:

Did the Igbos cry out when the Defense Minister, Ribadu, in 1960 said North would have 50% of the military recruitment slots to promote better representation in the Armed Forces?

Or don't you know what marginalization is? Meritocracy was the order of the day under the British, and only educated people could become officers. And since then till this day, the Southerners have been more educated. The majority of non-commissioned officers were from the North, majority of which were Tivs.

The reason why we have Buhari without a certificate as a general is because of this rush to fill up the army with Northerners.

I'm done with you.

-Lord
You're irredeemably inconsistent. I tend to believe you do this deliberately but to what purpose of which I cannot tell. You could have been better if only you can tame the monkey in you.

6 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Prevented the North from Seceding. Was He Plain Selfish Or Wise? by LordAdam16: 1:22pm On Jun 26, 2017
gberra:
You're irredeemably inconsistent. I tend to believe you do this deliberately but to what purpose of which I cannot tell. You could have been better if only you can tame the monkey in you.

You could very well bring your facts to disprove my statement, but you wouldn't because you are too lazy to use the bio-nut in your head.

Buhari joined the army in 1961 -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammadu_Buhari with only a principal's recommendation, one year after Ribadu gave the directive for increased quota to the North during military recruitment in 1960 after being appointed Minister of defense -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammadu_Ribadu.

Read and educate yourself. It is not my fault that you are pathologically ignorant.

-Lord

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Prevented the North from Seceding. Was He Plain Selfish Or Wise? by dudebuck: 9:59am On Jun 28, 2017
Azikiwe's naivety knows no bound

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Prevented the North from Seceding. Was He Plain Selfish Or Wise? by princfred(m): 9:30am On Dec 03, 2018
Maybe naive.
Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Prevented the North from Seceding. Was He Plain Selfish Or Wise? by Yemmysworld91: 4:00pm On May 30, 2020
For me, Ahmadu Bello, Obafemi Awolowo and Nnamdi Azikiwe were all greedy leaders. They were egoist in pursuit of power. Attempting to defend one's political patriarch is the reason we are having this back and forth argument. Note, there is no natural country anywhere in the world. Virtually every country is an artificial make up. It is left for us to renegotiate this unity and not try to justify the past mistakes of our self centered 'saints'
Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Prevented the North from Seceding. Was He Plain Selfish Or Wise? by MetaPhysical: 4:51pm On May 30, 2020
OP,
I dont like your title on the thread.

The opposite of selfish is generous.
Opposite of wise is foolish.

Rectify abeg. Azikiwe was both selfish and foolish!

3 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Prevented the North from Seceding. Was He Plain Selfish Or Wise? by gidgiddy: 5:07pm On May 30, 2020
OAFMods:

Keep at blaming every one else for your woes. Zik was the perfect Nigerian because he is Igbo and yet he senselessly fought not to have succession clause in the constitution. I am yet to see where he as been tongue lashes for this thoughtlessness and outright foolery. Blame those that strike back after the Igbo unleashed the first coup on Nigeria not the ones that introduced the coup itself. Do you see why I careless if another dose of 3 million of your kind are sacrificed for this line of arguments ?

The long list of nations that forget the program that occur on their land each understood the essence of forgiveness not bragado like the Igbos are demanding. Listen good your demand to be pacified for those lost in the war is what will lead to another war instead of a resolution that will grant you Biafra peacefully or bring about true federalism in Nigeria.

Whatever it is you think Igbos deserve personally I believe Igbo's owe Nigeria a bigger apology for those things I listed previously. Their action were unjust, brash and senseless at each junction. They allowed the hot head among them dictate their destination without careful thought out plan. The same mistake is what you have embarked up with KANU again with your carelessness, selfishness and outright foolishness.

You will plunge the entire country into war, idiots among you will argue that succession is a UN back right like you do not understand the volatility of Nigeria but you all do and when your agitation spiral out of control and you lose like 10 millions Igbo's to a Nigeria that owes a standing army with your defence mounted by only loud mouths such as yourself and other miscreant n tout few years down the line you will blame Osibanjo n Nigeria for genocide like war is like an Olympic event.

Intelligent people lead agitation , the likes of Mandela, Gandhi n co not retarded beings like KANU. Capable leader that will man up and take control of every eventuality. Leaders that their thought process will match that of their adversaries. Leaders who will be responsible n take control when your agitation turn into a civil war. A leader that can build allies to support your cause in the case of any eventuality. A leader that will not lose a war because of the blockade of food by your enemy. Is KANU this kind of a leader ? What brain those KANU have in his head to coordinate a war n am not talking his nonsense Biafra propaganda n the noise on his radio.

In essence Biafra agitation is okay, the first coup the Igbo led, the Biafra war are all okay because they are a worthy cause but what is not okay is not succeeding at those causes. It is crazy only Igbo bliv when you lose a war you deserve equal right with the winners. Germany just finished paying reparation for causing the second world war in 2014 nobody heard them make any noise.

When you go to war or make a case for any agitation you put in a thought process that will ensure it succeed. That is my gross with the Igbos. Effort required to actualize the success of Biafra is wasted on taunting Yoruba on NL. The same Yoruba could be missing piece that can help actualise your desire. The mistake Zik made is about to repeat itself. You want a supporter when you can not guarantee victory who does that ?

You forget one thing. It is you non Igbos that have been ruling Nigeria for the last 50 years when the war ended in 1970, and guess what? You people ended up making Nigeria far worse than it was 50 years ago
Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Prevented the North from Seceding. Was He Plain Selfish Or Wise? by Paretomaster1(m): 5:11pm On May 30, 2020
alizma:
I AM JUST SURPRISED AT HOW IT SUDDENLY BECOME DIFFICULT FOR IGBOS TO EMBRACE THE BIAFRA OF THEIR DREAM AFTER THE QUIT NOTICE.
It is only madness that makes one thinks that he could break out of partnership business and continue to profits from the business.
Take Biafra out of Nigeria and go completely.
three months is enough to make move pls.

They are just noisemakers.... They can't do without Nigeria, ask them to leave now, they will start begging Upandan...

3 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Prevented the North from Seceding. Was He Plain Selfish Or Wise? by Paretomaster1(m): 5:17pm On May 30, 2020
salford1:

i really wish that there was a secession or referendum clause could be included in the constitution. I prefer each region go there seperate ways. This union is not working and has never worked. I also believe the ibos have paid the price for Azikiwe's mistake already.
Just as Sanusi mentioned in the extract below:

"Our present political leaders have no sense of History. There is a new Igbo man, who was not born in 1966 and neither knows nor cares about Nzeogwu and Ojukwu. There are Igbo men on the street who were never Biafrans. They were born Nigerians, are Nigerians, but suffer because of actions of earlier generations. They will soon decide that it is better to fight their own war, and may be find an honourable peace, than to remain in this contemptible state in perpetuity.

The Northern Bourgeoisie and the Yoruba Bourgeoisie have exacted their pound of flesh from the Igbos. For one Sardauna, one Tafawa Balewa, one Akintola and one Okotie-Eboh, hundreds of thousands have died and suffered.

If this issue is not addressed immediately, no conference will solve Nigeria´s problems. By Sanusi Lamido Sanusi.
Being Excerpts from A Paper Presented At The “National Conference On The 1999 Constitution” Jointly Organised By The Network For Justice And The Vision Trust Foundation, At The Arewa House, Kaduna From 11th –12th September, 1999

It is those same Igbos born after the war that have refused to see beyond their nose...

They carry hatred for other region on their head, and pass it from generation to generation....

The North and SW should be angrier, because they lost precious leaders to that tribal coup of 1966.

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Prevented the North from Seceding. Was He Plain Selfish Or Wise? by T9ksy(m): 7:24pm On May 30, 2020
MetaPhysical:
OP,
I dont like your title on the thread.

The opposite of selfish is generous.
Opposite of wise is foolish.

Rectify abeg. Azikiwe was both selfish and foolish!

IMHO, Azikwe wasn't just only the above in bold but also covetous and myopic.

His greed could not make him see beyond his nose and that's why he ended up sucking up to the people who have not at any time hide their hatred and suspicions about the ibos. These are the same people who slaughtered his ibo folks in 1945 and again in 1953, yet he was the main proponent of One nigeria.

He was born and bred in the north. He ought to have known that there is no way the sardunna would have agree to a united nigeria that will essential be dominated by the southerners simply because of their educational advancement. He would rather go it alone.

3 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Prevented the North from Seceding. Was He Plain Selfish Or Wise? by MetaPhysical: 7:33pm On May 30, 2020
T9ksy:

IMHO, Azikwe wasn't just only the above in bold but also covetous and myopic.

His greed could not make him see beyond his nose and that's why he ended up sucking up to the people who have not at any time hide their hatred and suspicions about the ibos. These are the same people who slaughtered his ibo folks in 1945 and again in 1953, yet he was the main proponent of One nigeria.

He was born and bred in the north. He ought to have known that there is no way the sardunna would have agree to a united nigeria that will essential be dominated by the southerners simply because of their educational advancement. He would rather go it alone.

grin grin
Correct!

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Prevented the North from Seceding. Was He Plain Selfish Or Wise? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Oct 03, 2020
Come on big guy,I'VE been waiting for your reply nah.What's up Salford1?
Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Prevented the North from Seceding. Was He Plain Selfish Or Wise? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Oct 03, 2020
tongue
Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Prevented the North from Seceding. Was He Plain Selfish Or Wise? by PDPdestroyer(m): 9:18pm On Jul 18, 2021
salford1:
"However it would be wrong to state that the two Southern regions were politically or philosophically aligned and there were already discordance between the two Southern political parties.

Firstly , the AG favoured a loose confederacy of regions in the emergent Nigerian nation whereby each region would be in total control of its own distinct territory . The status of Lagos was a sore point for the AG which did not want Lagos, a Yoruba town which was at that time the Federal Capital and seat of national government to be designated as the Capital of Nigeria if it meant loss of Yoruba Suzerainty . The AG insisted that Lagos, a Yoruba city which was situated in Western Nigeria must be completely recognised as a Yoruba town without any loss of identity , control or autonomy by the Yoruba .

Contrary to this position , the NCNC was anxious to declare Lagos, by virtue of it being the " Federal Capital Territory" as " no man ' s land " - a declaration which as could be expected angered the AG which offered to help fund the development of other territory in Nigeria as " Federal Capital Territory" and then threatened secession from Nigeria if it didn ' t get its way . The threat of secession by the AG was tabled , documented and recorded in numerous constitutional conferences, including the constitutional conference held in London in 1954 with the demand that a right of secession be enshrined in the constitution of the emerging Nigerian nation to allow any part of the emergent nation to opt out of Nigeria , should the need arise .( Author ( s ) : Tekena N . TamunoSource : The Journal of Modern African Studies , Vol . 8 , No . 4 ( Dec ., 1970 ) , pp . 563 –584 ) This proposal for inclusion of right of secession by the regions in independent Nigeria by the AG was rejected and resisted by NCNC which vehemently argued for a tightly bound united / unitary structured nation because it viewed the provision of a secession clause as detrimental to the formation of a Unitary Nigerian state .

In the face of sustained opposition by the NCNC delegates , later joined by the NPC and backed by threats to view maintenance of the inclusion of secession by the AG as treasonable by the British , the AG was forced to renounce its position of inclusion of the right of secession a part of the Nigerian constitution . It should be noted that , had such a provision been made in the Nigerian constitution , later events which led to the Nigerian / Biafran civil war would have been avoided . The pre-independence alliance between the NCNC and the NPC against the aspirations of the AG would later set the tone for political governance of independent Nigeria by the NCNC/ NPC and lead to disaster in later years in Nigeria ."
Brilliant! Just brilliant!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

More Photos :Akpabio Defection to APC Rally / Meet The Woman Who Converted Adams Oshiomole From Islam To Christianity / Morocco, Nigeria Sign Biotechnology Development Agreement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.