Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,382 members, 7,781,071 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:26 AM

God's Judgement Against King Ahab - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / God's Judgement Against King Ahab (10061 Views)

Father Mbaka Invokes God's Judgement On Those Who Speak Evil Against Him / "Why Did God Use A Lying Spirit To Deceive Ahab?" / Abu Ahab -(father Of The Flem Or Fier) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

God's Judgement Against King Ahab by CHAVINCI: 10:37am On Jun 25, 2017
In church today, we talked about 1 kings chapter 21 where it tells the injustice king ahab did to Naboth and his children, yes it was very cruel and wicked, but my point is when GOD decided to punish Ahab which of course he repented and wore sack clothes and so GOD extended his hand of mercy on him by saying the punishment meant for him would happen to his children, don't you think that is a misguided justice on the part of GOD?

I mean why would people who know nothing about how a sin was committed pay the price? And if GOD had truly forgiven him, then why punish his children, is that still called forgiveness?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: God's Judgement Against King Ahab by Samsimple(m): 10:42am On Jun 25, 2017
U will get ur answer very soon dont worry..na nairaland u dey chillas.. Cc.hardmirror,hopefulandlord, johnnydon22

3 Likes

Re: God's Judgement Against King Ahab by elderhimself(m): 10:53am On Jun 25, 2017
Roman 9:15
For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion."

Exodus 33:19
"And will be gracious to whom I will be gracious"

.....so, can we even dare to ask of God why he does anything he wishes??...... NEVER !!!!!!

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: God's Judgement Against King Ahab by HardMirror(m): 10:53am On Jun 25, 2017
CHAVINCI:
in church today,we talked about 1 kings chapter 21 where it tells d injustice king ahab did to naboth and his children,yes it was very cruel and wicked,but my point is when GOD decided to punish ahab wich of course he repented and wore sack clothes,and xo GOD extended his hand of mercy on him by saying d punishment meant 4 him wuld happen to his children,dont u tink dat is a misguided justice on d part of GOD,i mean y wuld pple who knws notin about how a sin was committed pay d price,and if GOD had truly forgiven him,den y punish his children,is dat still called forgiveness?
when we say religion is all man made, we don't say it cos we hate God, we say it because of contradictions like this. man who made religion is not perfect so don't expect to make sense of religion. that is why you need faith, I mean stubborn faith to remain a Christian or Muslim in particular. let's wait and see the concocted answers the Christians will invent in defence of their God.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: God's Judgement Against King Ahab by HardMirror(m): 11:02am On Jun 25, 2017
elderhimself:
For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion."

.....so, can we even dare to ask of God why he does anything he wishes??...... NEVER !!!!!!
God bless you brother. only a fooool will question God.
why shld it be an issue for God that can throw billions of people in hell fire for ever and ever and ever and ever and ever. I mean forever! not one thousand years not one million years, no not even a billion years. he will roast sinners in hell forever. so what is the big deal in punishing ahab's children for their father's sin?
only humans are weak and can forgive when they are angry for a while. but our god can be angry for ever.

father I love you and worship u.

seun lalasticlala mynd44 let's have this Bible sturdy topic up for discussion please. I am willing to learn

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: God's Judgement Against King Ahab by CAPSLOCKED: 11:06am On Jun 25, 2017
HardMirror:

why shld it be an issue for God that can throw billions of people in hell fire for ever and ever and ever and ever and ever. I mean forever! not one thousand years not one million years, no not even a billion years. he will roast sinners in hell forever. so what is the big deal in punishing ahab's children for their father's sin?
only humans are weak and can forgive when they are angry for a while. but our god can be angry for ever.

seun lalasticlala mynd44 let's have this Bible sturdy topic up for discussion please. I am willing to learn

OGA YOU'RE VERY MAD AND YOU HAVE NO ONE TO TELL YOU.
grin

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: God's Judgement Against King Ahab by CAPSLOCKED: 11:07am On Jun 25, 2017
elderhimself:

NA SO!
DON'T EVER QUESTION GOD.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: God's Judgement Against King Ahab by elderhimself(m): 11:10am On Jun 25, 2017
HardMirror:

Surely , that is why some are rich and some poor.....even if they work hard to chase away poverty
that is why some are sick, others are healthy ....even if they try to stay healthy than the healthy ones
so, if u fall on HIS good side.....lucky you
if u also fall on HIS not so good side,..lucky you too

This is actually not our faults, there is nothing, absolutely nothing we can do

2 Likes

Re: God's Judgement Against King Ahab by elderhimself(m): 11:11am On Jun 25, 2017
CAPSLOCKED:

NA SO!
DON'T EVER QUESTION GOD.

Even if I wanted to,.... I cant !!!!!!!!!!!1
Re: God's Judgement Against King Ahab by CHAVINCI: 11:26am On Jun 25, 2017
GOD is awesome,graceful and mild-tempered,but jst because am a christian doesnt mean i wunt ask questions on contradicting and sensitive issues such as dis,i guess even faith wunt b enuf dis time.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: God's Judgement Against King Ahab by NoWorries7(m): 11:44am On Jun 25, 2017
Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me,
Deuteronomy:5:9

But if the next generation repents and comes to CHRIST, they will not bear that sin because:
The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.
But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die.
Ezekiel:18:20-21

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: God's Judgement Against King Ahab by Image123(m): 11:45am On Jun 25, 2017
CHAVINCI:
in church today,we talked about 1 kings chapter 21 where it tells d injustice king ahab did to naboth and his children,yes it was very cruel and wicked,but my point is when GOD decided to punish ahab wich of course he repented and wore sack clothes,and xo GOD extended his hand of mercy on him by saying d punishment meant 4 him wuld happen to his children,dont u tink dat is a misguided justice on d part of GOD,i mean y wuld pple who knws notin about how a sin was committed pay d price,and if GOD had truly forgiven him,den y punish his children,is dat still called forgiveness?

Good question, I'd be back for this later. On the road.

Okay, so to your question. Firstly, we need to look at the passage to actually see what it says and not assume what it says.
Firstly, the passage does not appear to say anything about Naboth's children. It talks about Naboth. Here is exactly what it says.

1Ki 21:13 And there came in two men, children of Belial, and sat before him: and the men of Belial witnessed against him, even against Naboth, in the presence of the people, saying, Naboth did blaspheme God and the king. Then they carried him forth out of the city, and stoned him with stones, that he died.
1Ki 21:14 Then they sent to Jezebel, saying, Naboth is stoned, and is dead.

Secondly, i do not have the place in the Bible where God forgave Ahab. The Bible does not state that, that is your assumption and it is wrong as the Bible shows that God punished Ahab as stated. Here it is.

1Ki 21:19 And thou shalt speak unto him, saying, Thus saith the LORD, Hast thou killed, and also taken possession? And thou shalt speak unto him, saying, Thus saith the LORD, In the place where dogs licked the blood of Naboth shall dogs lick thy blood, even thine.
1Ki 21:21 Behold, I will bring evil upon thee, and will take away thy posterity, and will cut off from Ahab him that pisseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel,
1Ki 21:23 And of Jezebel also spoke the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.
1Ki 21:24 Him that dieth of Ahab in the city the dogs shall eat; and him that dieth in the field shall the fowls of the air eat.

The punishment stated here are (1.)verse 19 "In the place where dogs licked the blood of Naboth shall dogs lick thy blood."
(2.) verse 21 "I will bring evil upon thee, and will take away thy posterity, and will cut off from Ahab him that pisseth against the wall." That is, all Ahab's sons(piss against the wall) would die.
(3.) verse 23 "The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel."
(4.) verse 24 "Him that dieth of Ahab in the city the dogs shall eat; and him that dieth in the field shall the fowls of the air eat." That is an ignoble and shameful death, no burial for Ahab's sons.

Those were the judgement/punishment listed as four above. Were they forgiven like you assumed? NO They were fulfilled to the letter as will be shown below. However there was some LENIENCY/MERCY shown in the judgement.
1Ki 21:29 Seest thou how Ahab humbleth himself before me? because he humbleth himself before me, I will not bring the evil in his days: but in his son's days will I bring the evil upon his house.

The judgement would not happen in his days or before his eyes e.g like David who lost about two or three of his sons in his days. All the judgement/evil happened still.

Now to the fulfillment. Evil did not leave Ahab for instance like the next chapter shows despite Ahab's craftiness and cleverness.
1Ki 22:23 Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil concerning thee.

See punishment 1 fulfilled below.
1Ki 22:37 So the king died, and was brought to Samaria; and they buried the king in Samaria.
1Ki 22:38 And one washed the chariot in the pool of Samaria; and the dogs licked up his blood; and they washed his armor; according unto the word of the LORD which he spoke.

Punishment 2 and 4 are interwoven as it affects the same set of people, all Ahab's sons. Ahab had over 70 sons according to the Bible. One would think it is impossible for the punishment above to be fulfilled but it was. After Ahab died, Ahaziah his son took over the throne. He died in two years in sickness.

2Ki 1:17 So he died according to the word of the LORD which Elijah had spoken. And Jehoram reigned in his stead in the second year of Jehoram the son of Jehoshaphat King of Judah: because he had no son.

After Ahaziah, Jehoram his brother(another of Ahab's sons) took over the throne. He lasted a little for about 12 years and was quite close to Elisha the prophet despite his evil deeds, unlike his father Ahab that was forever fighting Elijah the prophet. He(Jehoram) also died though, he was killed by one of his servants Jehu. That was after he was also wounded in battle, his brother Ahaziah was wounded by falling off the stairs or so.
2Ki 9:24 And Jehu drew a bow with his full strength, and smote Jehoram between his arms, and the arrow went out at his heart, and he sunk down in his chariot.
2Ki 9:25 Then said Jehu to Bidkar his captain, Take up, and cast him in the portion of the field of Naboth the Jezreelite: for remember how that, when I and thou rode together after Ahab his father, the LORD laid this burden upon him;
2Ki 9:26 Surely I have seen yesterday the blood of Naboth, and the blood of his sons, saith the LORD; and I will requite thee in this plat, saith the LORD. Now therefore take and cast him into the plat of ground, according to the word of the LORD.

As for the rest of Ahab's many sons, here is the account of their death and the cutting of Ahab's posterity.

2Ki 10:6 Then he wrote a letter the second time to them, saying, If ye be mine, and if ye will hearken unto my voice, take ye the heads of the men your master's sons, and come to me to Jezreel by tomorrow this time. Now the king's sons, being seventy persons, were with the great men of the city, which brought them up.
2Ki 10:7 And it came to pass, when the letter came to them, that they took the king's sons, and slew seventy persons, and put their heads in baskets, and sent him them to Jezreel.

2Ki 10:10 Know now that there shall fall unto the earth nothing of the word of the LORD, which the LORD spoke concerning the house of Ahab: for the LORD hath done that which he spoke by his servant Elijah.
2Ki 10:11 So Jehu slew all that remained of the house of Ahab in Jezreel, and all his great men, and his kinsfolk, and his priests, until he left him none remaining.
2Ki 10:17 And when he came to Samaria, he slew all that remained unto Ahab in Samaria, till he had destroyed him, according to the saying of the LORD, which he spoke to Elijah.

Punishment number 3 goes without saying as it is a popular account but i would post it anyway,

2Ki 9:32 And he lifted up his face to the window, and said, Who is on my side? who? And there looked out to him two or three eunuchs.
2Ki 9:33 And he said, Throw her down. So they threw her down: and some of her blood was sprinkled on the wall, and on the horses: and he trod her under foot.
2Ki 9:35 And they went to bury her: but they found no more of her than the skull, and the feet, and the palms of her hands.
2Ki 9:36 Wherefore they came again, and told him. And he said, This is the word of the LORD, which he spoke by his servant Elijah the Tishbite, saying, In the portion of Jezreel shall dogs eat the flesh of Jezebel:

So there you have it, there was no forgiveness for Ahab but leniency/mercy in judgement by postponement. Now to whether the judgement was unjust or misguided, that has already been answered by other even as i scanned through the first page. The reality of life is that man's actions and inactions affect others. Like they say, the leader's sin is a leading sin and the father's sin is a fathering sin. Your grandparents decisions affect you till tomorrow. It affects your genes, your blood group, your genotype, your nationality, your health. When we talk of health history, there's usually the need to know if a particular ailment is in your family because the reality is that that tendency is there for you to be affected. That is the reality of life. Whether that is fair or unfair is not just for argument, neither does it disprove the existence of God as some lazy atheists would want you to believe. If your parents went with the slave trade, you probably may be french today or american and yout condition would not be the same. Same thing if your dad took some decisions that might have made him very very rich or very very poor, it would definitely affect the children. Nevertheless, all these is not exactly set in stone, there is always hope when there is life and a will. that's a long story for another day though.

Edited
Re: God's Judgement Against King Ahab by CHAVINCI: 11:57am On Jun 25, 2017
am nt talking bout d passer of d judgement or his might and will power,am jst simply trying to make sense of d justification of dese kinds of judgements where unborn generations will hav 2 sufa 4 d sins of deir 4 fadaz,hw wuld u feel if u knew u are paying d hefty price 4 d mistakes ur ancestors made,and ur children wuld continue paying when u re gone?

2 Likes

Re: God's Judgement Against King Ahab by Lessonteacher(f): 12:00pm On Jun 25, 2017
HardMirror:

WHICH SIDE ARE YOU ON?
Re: God's Judgement Against King Ahab by gentlechyke(m): 8:01pm On Jun 25, 2017
and he did what was evil in the sight of the Lord.
Re: God's Judgement Against King Ahab by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jun 25, 2017
Hardmirror and CAPSLOCKED currently on drugs cheesy

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: God's Judgement Against King Ahab by axglide(m): 8:04pm On Jun 25, 2017
One of my best quotes of the Bible is taken from Exodus 34:6-8

"And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, “The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, 7 maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation.”"

The above excerpt is taken from NIV.

Even David's descendants suffered for the sin of David who killed Bathsheba's husband Uriah. In 2 Samuel 12 v 9-10 The Bible states - " Why did you despise the word of the Lord by doing what is evil in his eyes? You struck down Uriah the Hittite with the sword and took his wife to be your own. You killed him with the sword of the Ammonites. Now, therefore, the sword will never depart from your house, because you despised me and took the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your own.’"

Proverbs 13:22 King James Version (KJV)

A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children's children: and the wealth of the sinner is laid up for the just.

Moral of the story is - The same way that blessings flow through generations likewise punishment for transgression and sins are preserved in like fashion. It's just to serve as a guide to everyone that, whatever you sow you'll reap. Even if you're dead. Seems it's one of the ways Justice is preserved in the Universe. Like Karma. Shekau can decide to blow himself up and end it, but the innocent blood and souls keep crying for Justice and God might just choose not to ignore such cries; and so to balance things up; the iniquity shall be visited upon his children, and so for many evil men.

Though i might be wrong, let the theologians put us through. smiley

13 Likes

Re: God's Judgement Against King Ahab by AngelicBeing: 8:04pm On Jun 25, 2017
cool
Re: God's Judgement Against King Ahab by 0b10010011: 8:06pm On Jun 25, 2017
That is to show the Middle East story book is a man made composition

1 Like 1 Share

Re: God's Judgement Against King Ahab by Excellence12(m): 8:06pm On Jun 25, 2017
Hmmm...we are created to show forth his goodness, not to query his orders...dear, ask no more, desist from this path, for it is a dead end.

We can only be this naughty when we can't help to think the extent of God's grace and magnificent.

He owes us and he can do anything with us...thats why GOOD PEOPLE ALSO DIE, because unto him, death is a transfiguration not a condemnation we thought about!!!

God is still Good...hallow unto his name!

2 Likes

Re: God's Judgement Against King Ahab by Isaacmacdon(m): 8:08pm On Jun 25, 2017
There are some certain questions that shouldn't be asked. This is what you get when you read the bible with the human reasoning, and not that of the holy spirit.
cc Kingebukablog
Ishilove
analice107
Re: God's Judgement Against King Ahab by emmy4lov(m): 8:09pm On Jun 25, 2017
s
Re: God's Judgement Against King Ahab by Danelo(m): 8:12pm On Jun 25, 2017
CHAVINCI:
In church today, we talked about 1 kings chapter 21 where it tells the injustice king ahab did to Naboth and his children, yes it was very cruel and wicked, but my point is when GOD decided to punish Ahab which of course he repented and wore sack clothes and so GOD extended his hand of mercy on him by saying the punishment meant for him would happen to his children, don't you think that is a misguided justice on the part of GOD?

I mean why would people who know nothing about how a sin was committed pay the price? And if GOD had truly forgiven him, then why punish his children, is that still called forgiveness?
God forsees the future,probably he knew That the children of Ahab will have some short comings and shifted the punishment to them.

2 Likes

Re: God's Judgement Against King Ahab by lokotowers(m): 8:13pm On Jun 25, 2017
Ahab humbled himself.. That's why God showed him mercy... Proverb 17:3
Re: God's Judgement Against King Ahab by ItalianWine(f): 8:13pm On Jun 25, 2017
CHAVINCI:

Op which church was that first? Let us know...

3 Likes

Re: God's Judgement Against King Ahab by Wapbullet: 8:13pm On Jun 25, 2017
nice
Re: God's Judgement Against King Ahab by driand(m): 8:14pm On Jun 25, 2017
Brethren, I'm not a teacher but hear me!

1 Since we can't ask God why he is being so good to us even when we know we are sinners then we have no right to question his decisions or authority...

2 I will never beg an atheist to believe in my God, the secret is this, when you believe he knows you believe and he knows you're not perfect in times of trial he will come to your aid but it doesn't mean you may never experience any kinda difficulty, cuz the devil is alz at work trying to bring you down...

3 reject God at your own peril, he may not reject you as you reject him that's why he is God, but if you're not careful about how you reject and talk about him, you'll definitely learn but in the hard way...

My testimony......

On the 11/06/2017 exactly 2 Sundays ago I was traveling to Lagos to pick my friend who was coming into the country, I had an accident my car tumbled many times(can't be specific cuz I'm not sure) fell almost 80 feet into a valley, that was after ore ondo state, I came out un touched the people who parked to rescue victims of the accident wer amazed

Nobody could believe anyone can survive that accident let alone coming out unharmed, my clothes wer not even stained..

Final advice,.. take care if your own relationship with God and let him be in charge of your existence, you'll never be disappointed..

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: God's Judgement Against King Ahab by ayusco85(m): 8:15pm On Jun 25, 2017
Why are u asking me? Why not ask God.
Re: God's Judgement Against King Ahab by Mjbless16(m): 8:16pm On Jun 25, 2017
CHAVINCI:

OP r u a JW?

1 Like

Re: God's Judgement Against King Ahab by Nobody: 8:17pm On Jun 25, 2017
Guy that passage is a small something. If you read through the old testament you'd understand the meaning of 'fear God'. Thank God for Jesus sha if not eh...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: God's Judgement Against King Ahab by obamabinladen(m): 8:17pm On Jun 25, 2017
CHAVINCI:
am nt talking bout d passer of d judgement or his might and will power,am jst simply trying to make sense of d justification of dese kinds of judgements where unborn generations will hav 2 sufa 4 d sins of deir 4 fadaz,hw wuld u feel if u knew u are paying d hefty price 4 d mistakes ur ancestors made,and ur children wuld continue paying when u re gone?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) / Should I Force My Daughter To Go To Church? / Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.