Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,606 members, 7,781,937 topics. Date: Saturday, 30 March 2024 at 05:31 AM

How Do I Start Snail Rearing? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How Do I Start Snail Rearing? (110743 Views)

Step-by-step Guide To Rearing Ostriches Profitably In Nigeria. / Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. / How To Start Snail Farming In Nigeria With Little Capital! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by brendaduta: 1:52pm On Feb 03, 2007
How Do I Start Snail Rearing?

I would like to have more information about snail, what it fully entails, how to start the business and what the market is like. Would a capital of about N50,000 - N80,000 be enough to start, cover initial cost and how much profit can I still make at the end of the day?

Am female, a fresh graduate, I reside in Lagos and would love to get in touch with someone who is in the business. I'll be very grateful and appreciate whatever information and links i can get, thanks very much
Re: How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by inoo(m): 5:57pm On Feb 03, 2007
I am working on an article on this topic and will get back as soon as I finish
but in the while check up these sites for inspiration .

http://selfemploymentng.com/opportunities.htm

http://hope2010.org/sme.htm
Re: How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by namdee(m): 7:09pm On Mar 16, 2007
@brendaduta,to venture in this business you have to be patient,with 80,000 the capital you have is enuff to start you well on a small scale,with what you have you can start of with 300 point of lay snails,this i advice you to start as the raining season begins within 4 to 5 months you should have btw 2500 to 3500 hatchlings or even more depending on breed of the snail.Now one thing you will need is space because overcrowding can afect their growth.As for the feeding i can gie you a formula you can get rom most feed mills.You should also know that it takes about one and a half to two years for them to develope to full grown depending on care and management.With proper management and care they can acheive that in a shorter time.A full grown snail depending on the time ofthe year can cost btw N150 to N250.The most common one around to breed is the acharchtina marginata,this is the common one in the market.or if you want sumthing prolific you can go for the archatina fulica they grow fast and are the most adaptable followed by the marginata,then the least is the archatina archatina.I will post you a sum pix of my snailery.

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by namdee(m): 7:32pm On Mar 16, 2007
here is a pix of sum of my juvenile snails in their pen

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by namdee(m): 7:38pm On Mar 16, 2007
pix of hatchlings and point of lay

1 Like

Re: How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by uzomaeze(m): 11:55pm On Mar 16, 2007
a good idea to start a snail farm but you need to be careful how you go about it one thing for sure is you have to avoid ants or termites getting close to the farm also salt as well and they rightly said be careful of space dont allow the large snails to be close to the small ones if not youre in for it.
Re: How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by agnesoseka: 12:00pm On Mar 17, 2007
Nice one.
Re: How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by namdee(m): 6:00pm On Mar 17, 2007
yeah that is true,depending on the type of housing system you intend to use,you need a form of protective mechanism to ward off termites,soldeir ants,rats and other types of pest.If it is a concrete pen you need to have like a gutter round it with water in it and the cover has to have wire mesh and mosquito net also,make sure no salt comes near the snailery or even mix with their food.When the baby snails hatch from their eggs you move them to a seperate pen.Each pen wether the ones with the big ones or small snails you should have loamy soil in it about 6 inch in dept and should be covered with either dry banana leaves(plenty) or cocoa leaves,because snails like dark and cool places.This are pix of part of my snailery.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by jideaffo(m): 9:37am On Mar 19, 2007
Nice one you ve got
i will like to no hw much it require to start the snail rearing business,in both the purchase of the snail,and where to buy the snails.Also,hw to rear the snail.In addition,if i can get the visibility report of the urs.

Especting your reply.
E mail rabline2002@yahoo.com

Rabiu Taiwo
Re: How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by edwinbald(m): 7:42pm On Apr 06, 2007
Please where can I get good snail stocks buy in SouthWest Nigeria to start out my project.

My email is edwinbald@gmail.com

Thanks

Eddie
Re: How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by usmanah: 9:43pm On Apr 09, 2007
I also interested in details on how to start rearing snails.
usmansbox@yahoo.com
Re: How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by omonla6(m): 7:17pm On Apr 11, 2007
Hi Brendaduta,

Thanks for your thread. This is a good business you want to start.

I will like to introduce someone who is an expert on the field to you and she is a woman I can trust you to. Please contact Mrs Janet ANWO of Success Attitude Development Center (SADC) at 28, Esuola Street, Okota, Lagos or you can buy the latest issue of Success Digest Extra to get your full information on this Resource Person. You will be glad you did.

Bye for now.
Re: How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by agbekoya(m): 1:08am On Jun 01, 2007
hi bredaduita ahown is d snailry plan geting on or didu shelf d plan ?
Re: How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by sleekmike(m): 4:08pm On Jun 02, 2007
So glad i ran into this blog. I am interested in this fopr a long time now but wanted a reliable farmers to put me thro.
Pls can any nairalander send me details of this to my box? My email is mikekire2000@yahoo.com
Re: How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by mamamia1(m): 10:52am On Jun 09, 2007
I am a female teacher in Lagos State. I interested in snail farming, I have gone to a seminar but I need to visit a farm and discuss with a practicing farmer, so as to get a practical information. pls asist in this thanx.
Re: How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by Joit(m): 7:04am On Jun 17, 2007
I have a practical comprehensive book on snail farming. Send your interest to joitbiz@yahoo.com . I will mail you the cost details. Thanks
Re: How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by Boboayuze(m): 12:12pm On Jun 28, 2007
Namdee,
Am also interested in snail farming, can you reach me on ayodeleojo@gmail.com?
Re: How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by idea(m): 9:13am On Jul 02, 2007
i'm interested too. my email addy is: idea1612@yahoo.com
phone number:08036002714

namdee please leave a phone/email so that one can reach you, thanks for the info.
Re: How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by ujaay(f): 1:10pm On Aug 20, 2007
Your snailry is inspiring. I have been looking for practical information on this. Kindly give me your email address, mine is uj_@myway.com. Any help you can give me would be highly appreciated. I stay in Port Harcourt and don't really know how to go about it. Thanks.
Re: How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by kingjaja2(m): 1:51pm On Aug 20, 2007
@ thethy,

Hello,

I need help on a new agribusiness which I intend on starting soon. The agribusiness is a poultry business.

I want to know about the ingredients used to produce chicken feed. Can someone please list the ingredients and how they are mixed together, and in what proportions are they mixed together. I intend to rear broiler chicks for the purpose of chicken meat production.

Someone please reply my post or alternatively, you can email me on: gurufarmer@yahoo.com.
Re: How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by Obirin0521: 11:38pm On Sep 02, 2007
Hello,

I don't know anything about this topic but I was intrigued enough to do some research.

You may wish to contact the IDRC. They sponsored a snail rearing project (Project Number 920034),in Nigeria back in '93 and may still have rollover development funds .(http://www.idrc.ca/en/ev-83060-201_920034-1-IDRC_ADM_INFO.html)

Here is also a link to a document (http://www.rirdc.gov.au/reports/NAP/03-137.pdf), developed by Sonya Begg who seems to be a leading expert in international snail farming circles based on the frequency of her name on snail farming documents.   There appears to be quite useful information contained therein. 

In case you can't access the doc, I'm posting her contact information as shown in the doc, (Australia), below:
Mrs. Sonya Begg
Snail Farming Information Service
2 Sunrise Way
ORANGE NSW 2800
Ph: 02 6361 8104
Email: snails@netwit.net.au

I wish you all the very best!
Re: How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by orekinky: 1:31pm On Feb 15, 2008
pls am interested too, my email add is orekinky@yahoo.com and my phone no is 08036214650 , i have a small snail farm at home but i think they are losing thier color cos i saw them in an unwanted place and clear the place for another use and since then dont know what they eat, pls info me thier feeds as i dont want to lose them very small up to 20 in nos.
Re: How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by DorisB(f): 8:34pm On Apr 06, 2008
human or animal snails? wink
Re: How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by bobojide(m): 8:39am On Sep 14, 2008
Thethy:-

I got your contact on the nairaland website, I am interested in snail farming, I would not mind the one-on -one training. I reside in Osogbo. I tried calling all the phone numbers on the web but no luck, so I resulted into sending this mail.

Thank you.

Olajide
080-34385369
Re: How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by angienick: 5:21pm On Jan 21, 2009
i intend to start snail farming. pls can i get an address of where i can buy breeding stock and their cost. thank you cool cool cool
Re: How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by Edkay: 9:21pm On Feb 06, 2009
whatz all the buzz about snail farming? i hear most commercially reared snails have a whitish streak that reduces its marketability.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by oyinda3(f): 1:03am On Jun 06, 2009
start very slowly
Re: How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by Thethy(m): 11:26am On Jun 27, 2009
Re: How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by ifyalways(f): 4:46pm On Jun 27, 2009
oyinda.:

start very slowly
lol,like the snails abi? cheesy
Re: How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by glozzyguy: 3:54pm On Aug 13, 2009
Please i am so interested in Snail and rabbit rearing. can anyone help out with knowledge? my email address is glozzyguy@yahoo.com.
Re: How Do I Start Snail Rearing? by denny4ril: 7:42pm On Aug 15, 2009
spy on any cellphone, even that of a cheating spouse by downloading spymastertools at http://itunes247..com FOR FREE

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Maize Farming Startup / PICTURES..The Construction Of Free Range Snail Farming System. / Sebastian Suski: The Longest Cucumber In The World - Guinness World Records

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.