Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,175 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:05 AM

38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU (33629 Views)

LAUTECH Tuition Fees, ASUU Wants Immediate Review / 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU / 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by Skappy44(m): 7:42am On Jun 27, 2017
where this country is going,God have mercy on us
Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by udemzyudex(m): 7:43am On Jun 27, 2017
I'm just imagining how those sponsoring themselves will feel now..

Evans story is dying down and they are looking for another story to make us keep talking..

Watch how student will stage protest till the end if this year..
Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by Nobody: 7:43am On Jun 27, 2017
swiitJese:
Benson Idahosa
University, from N284, 300 to N1, 150,000.

This one is just ridiculous

BIU is private university....

Meaning, they get zero funding from government.

Mean while, they have to pay staff the same salaries as govt universities.

That 1 million is even fair. If they wanted to be like an oyinbo university, well equipped, na 5 million dem go charge.
Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by Nobody: 7:44am On Jun 27, 2017
Stupid country. Even don add money for school. Useless south east that are asking for Biafra made Dia fee worst. hw will the expect those that came from north to further school?
STUPID AND USELESS COUNTRY.
Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by Johnnyessence(m): 7:44am On Jun 27, 2017
Ohhh my God I don't believe am reading this news again. Increasing of school fees will led to much drop out of poor students that doesn't have the money for schools. What the government can hear is protest. We must protest for this increase of school fees. I could remember Jacob Zuma of south Africa increased the tuition fees of south Africa universities and from the students protest on the increament of fees. Not knowing they will reverse it back. It is only protest and pressurizing NUC to stop the Vice chancellors from jacking the fees up. The only hope for the poor is to be more educated. But as it stand no hope for them. The same acting president graduated from Unilag and the fees wasn't increase to this extent. Upon his professorial level he still fails. The love of money is the root of all evil.

1 Like

Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by Akinz0126(m): 7:45am On Jun 27, 2017
This 1 wey UI no dey the list but come oooo unilorin own too much jare so because say na them get the highest applicant chai poor man don suffer kuma the useless government no talk abt minimum wage again propaganda govt of deception.
Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by mokset123: 7:46am On Jun 27, 2017
swiitJese:
Benson Idahosa

This one is just ridiculous
This is an increment made over the years let's say for example from 284k to 400k to 600k like that and not an all out increment from 284k to 1.15m
Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by Nobody: 7:47am On Jun 27, 2017
Johnnyessence:
Ohhh my God I don't believe am reading this news again. Increasing of school fees will led to much drop out of poor students that doesn't have the money for schools. What the government can hear is protest. We must protest for this increase of school fees. I could remember Jacob Zuma of south Africa increased the tuition fees of south Africa universities and from the students protest on the increament of fees. Not knowing they will reverse it back. It is only protest and pressurizing NUC to stop the Vice chancellors from jacking the fees up. The only hope for the poor is to be more educated. But as it stand no hope for them. The same acting president graduated from Unilag and the fees wasn't increase to this extent. Upon his professorial level he still fails. The love of money is the root of all evil.

Well, when Osibanjo went to Unilag, the number of students in university in Nigeria at that time was less than 80000. The number of federally owned universities was about 6

Now we have over 2 million students and 70 federally owned universities.

Something's got to give
Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by Vigurl(f): 7:49am On Jun 27, 2017
Anambra state university students hv been paying 126950 so I wonder where 76000 is kumn from... hian
Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by Obiwiz(m): 7:50am On Jun 27, 2017
OliveCynosure:
E be like say the management of Unilorin no well at all... From 16k to 75k? I paid 17k last session faa, how would I pay 75k in final year
Relax, unilorin fees won't be hiked next session. Maybe after next session
Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by nkakp(m): 7:56am On Jun 27, 2017
OliveCynosure:
E be like say the management of Unilorin no well at all... From 16k to 75k? I paid 17k last session faa, how would I pay 75k in final year

Just call me and I will assist u with 30% of ur sch fees 08036427254
Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by OgaBuhari: 7:57am On Jun 27, 2017
mmb:
Good. Is good we assist the govt.
I tell you.
The poor masses always feel the brunt of the Cluelessness of the leaders
Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by campbelljosh(m): 7:57am On Jun 27, 2017
yabatech increased fee too
Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by iamclime(m): 7:59am On Jun 27, 2017
And where is the LASU increment coming from? Please take this news with a pinch of salt.
Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by viver1: 8:01am On Jun 27, 2017
TheSociopath:
No fewer than 38 universities across the country
have increased their tuition fees as a result of
poor funding by the Federal and State
governments.
The Chairman of the Academic Staff Union of
Universities (ASUU), University of Ibadan Chapter,
Dr Deji Omole, made this known in a statement
made available to newsmen in Abuja on Monday.
The statement which assessed the two years of
President Muhammadu Buhari in office, lamented
that the current government had made Nigerians
poorer.
Omole said that the public education was not
taken seriously because most children of the rich
and those in high offices do not attend school in
Nigeria.
“The latest increment might be attributed to poor
funding by the federal and state governments as
ASUU poorly rated the President Muhammadu
Buhari in the area of funding of university
education.
ASUU also noted that it would be difficult for any
Nigeria university to effectively compete globally
with the inadequate allocation of budgetary
funding as prescribed by UNESCO to fund
education.
News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that
University of Lagos (UNILAG) which was paying
N14, 500 would now pay N63, 500 as tuition
fees.
Other institutions that increased their fees
include, Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), from
N27, 000 to N41, 00; University of Nigeria (UNN),
from N60, 450 to N66, 950; Obafemi Awolowo
University, from N19, 700 to N55,700.
Others are Nnamdi Azikiwe University (UNIZIK),
from N20, 100 to N65,920; Bayero University,
Kano, from N26,000 to N40,000; University of
Abuja, from N39,300 to N42,300 and Usman
Danfodiyo University, from N32,000 to N41,000.
National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN), from
N36,000 to N41,000; University of Benin (UNIBEN)
, from N12, 000 to N49,500; University of Ilorin,
from N16, 000 to N75,000 and Federal University
of Technology, Akura (FUTA), from N13, 560 to
N83,940.
Also in the list are: Federal University, Minna
(FUTMINNA), from N20,000 to N37,000;
University of Calabar, from N30,500 to N42,750
and University of Uyo, from N71, 000 to N84,
Federal College of Education (Technical), Akoka,
from N16,000 to N40,000; Osun varsity, from
N95,000 to N135,500; Anambra State University,
from N76,000 to N139, 000 and Lagos State
University, from N96,750 to N158,250.
Ibrahim Badamosi Babangiga University, Lapai,
from N25, 000 to N52, 000; Imo State University,
from N120,000 to N150,000; Plateau State
University, from N50,000 to N100,000 and
Moshood Abiola Polytechnic, from N57,000 to
N75,000.
Others are: Ibadan Polytechnics, from N30,000
t0 N50,000; Abia Polytechnics, from N56,550 to
N61,000; Auchi Polytechnic, from N14, 800 to
N28,000 and Ondo State University of Science
and Technology, Okitipupa, from N70,000 to
N80,000.
Enugu State University of Science and Technology,
N104,900 to N124,900; Kwara Polytechnic, Ilorin,
from N28,000 to N44,000; Ladoke Akintola
University of Technology (LAUTECH), from
N65,000 to N72,500 and Tai Solarin University of
Education, from N66,500 to N76,500.
Afe Babalola University, from N675,000 to
N1,075,000; Igbinedion, from N540,000 to
N820,000; Crawford university, from N400,000
to N600,000 and Redeemers University, from
N545,000 to N605,000.
Also in the list are Covenant University, from
N774, 500 to N814, 500 and Benson Idahosa

Source; www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/38-nigerian-universities-increase-tuition-fees-ASUU/203262.html

Had to quote all of it and say strongly that for some schools, the write up is not true. Carrying the tuition fee of social science student and medical student of the same school, same session and saying itz increment. Is this to encourage or discourage people? Itz better diz journalists write wat they r sure of naa.
Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by Johnnyessence(m): 8:02am On Jun 27, 2017
9jakohai:

Well, when Osibanjo went to Unilag, the number of students in university in Nigeria at that time was less than 80000. The number of federally owned universities was about 6

Now we have over 2 million students and 70 federally owned universities.

Something's got to give
I have been reading your reply here so far. You have no valid points here to convinced me on the increament of the fees. If you don't know all these tertiary schools do collect subventions from different firm. If you don't know some individuals do donate lecture theatres to all this schools. What federal government need to do is to ask for the audit of various tertiary institutions in order to know the finance accounts of these schools. Infact if you make your research in develop nations they don't increased tuition fees cos they know the importance of Education. Some countries even beg their citizens to study. Now you are saying that there's high population in all the schools which lead to the increment of fees. Absolutely wrong. If the government knows what they are doing what they need to do is to increase the capacity of all this schools which gave birth to subvention funds to all these tertiary schools. When they are increasing the undergraduate level now please what will the post graduate fee will be. You have no points here. If you are poor you won't be talking here. What the government need is for the masses is to protest on these increased of fees.

1 Like

Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by Nobody: 8:07am On Jun 27, 2017
9jakohai:

Because the govt does not have the money to fund universities adequately.
But the government has money to pay senators and house of rep members humongous salaries and allowances.

When it comes to providing basic social amenities for the masses, the government suddenly becomes "broke". But money is always available to maintain the opulent lifestyle of the ruling class.

This excuse some people give to justify the selfish actions of our leaders is now stale. It is common knowledge that these politicians do not have our best interest at heart.

1 Like

Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by Nobody: 8:08am On Jun 27, 2017
amani337:
OK let me start hustling for my fees since these people have increase my fees.

modified:
I will be finishing my 2nd semester exams on Saturday,in need of a 3-4 months job.I don't mind the amount and I can do any work,be it sales boy,waiter, receptionist(plus I'm a good cook).my location is warri.
call:07061894828

see them
all the abraka student
Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by ayoomoba1(m): 8:09am On Jun 27, 2017
[quote author=OliveCynosure post=57873570]E be like say the management of Unilorin no well at all... From 16k to 75k? I paid 17k last session faa, how would I pay 75k in final year

Sorry my sister faa! undecided
Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by ivolt: 8:09am On Jun 27, 2017
Cameleon72:
Higher Education is not for the poor
Fixed
Basic Education is a right.
Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by Sleekfun: 8:09am On Jun 27, 2017
Cameleon72:
Education is not for the poor
my learned fellow, I agree totally with you, but also agree that if education is not for the poor, and the poor are the masses, then let the educated rich be ready for cases like terrorism, armed robbery, theft, insecurity in there environs. Thanks.
Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by Nobody: 8:11am On Jun 27, 2017
Johnnyessence:
I have been reading your reply here so far. You have no valid points here to convinced me on the increament of the fees. If you don't know all these tertiary schools do collect subventions from different firm. If you don't know some individuals do donate lecture theatres to all this schools. What federal government need to do is to ask for the audit of various tertiary institutions in order to know the finance accounts of these schools. Infact if you make your research in develop nations they don't increased tuition fees cos they know the importance of Education. Some countries even beg their citizens to study. Now you are saying that there's high population in all the schools which lead to the increment of fees. Absolutely wrong. If the government knows what they are doing what they need to do is to increase the capacity of all this schools which gave birth to subvention funds to all these tertiary schools. When they are increasing the undergraduate level now please what will the post graduate fee will be. You have no points here. If you are poor you won't be talking here. What the government need is for the masses is to protest on these increased of fees.

1. Developed nations are also heavily industrial, meaning they have access to funding that nations like Nigeria don't have.

2 Even then, fees are high in some developed nations. Fees in England cost 9000 pounds. Even in developed countries with free tuition like Denmark, they get the money for universities by taking half your salary In taxes. ( imagine if we did that in Nigeria...there would be riots on the street). Fees in the USA can be as high as 22000- 58000 dollars.

3. I support your calls for an audit, and I know that corruption is a way of life in many universities. However, even if we eliminated corrupt practices from our universities, the funding won't be enough.

4.Nigerians also do not give back to universities once they have made it. Many developed country universities also survive on donations from private individuals. Bill gates gave a British university 600 million pounds for research in 2012. Money no Nigerian uni would ever see.

5. If we want free education, we have to pay for it. Either in raised taxes, or decreased salaries. Education ain't cheap.

6. Education was easy to fund back in the day when govt ran just six universities . not anymore
Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by TheSociopath(m): 8:11am On Jun 27, 2017
viver1:

Had to quote all of it and say strongly that for some schools, the write up is not true. Carrying the tuition fee of social science student and medical student of the same school, same session and saying itz increment. Is this to encourage or discourage people? Itz better diz journalists write wat they r sure of naa.

I don't think they've started implementing it. My Alma mater's tuition is 70k and that what they r still paying for now. Probably the increase will be from next session
Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by Nobody: 8:15am On Jun 27, 2017
gensteejay:

But the government has money to pay senators and house of rep members humongous salaries and allowances.

When it comes to providing basic social amenities for the masses, the government suddenly becomes "broke". But money is always available to maintain the opulent lifestyle of the ruling class.

This excuse some people give to justify the selfish actions of our leaders is now stale. It is common knowledge that these politicians do not have our best interest at heart.

Hey, you did not read the rest of my comment.

But , yes , I also agree that govt spend too much on senators and co, and they should cut their spending.

But if we did that, where would we spend the extra cash? Just on universities? And it might not be enough.....we need trillions of naira annually to fund universities in Nigeria. Our senators are greedy, but their budget does not even reach up to 1 trillion naira
Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by seifini(m): 8:21am On Jun 27, 2017
and U wonder where our youths are (NANS).na dem spose dey agitate for things like this.
Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by eph12(m): 8:23am On Jun 27, 2017
9jakohai:
This problem did not start today

In 2009, ASUU signed an agreement guaranteeing 3 trillion naira in extra funding for the next 2 years.

By 2013, the money was not paid. ASUU went on strike, govt then told them after much delay that they could afford 1 trillion naira....over 5 years.

ASUU , under pressure from ordinary Nigerians took the deal.

Since then , only 200 bn of that money has been paid.

Consider also that all the good universities abroad have budgets in excess of $100million and above. Nigerian universities manage at most $10 million, of they are lucky.

Also, it costs 600000 naira to train one university student in one year.

Finally, by my own estimates, Nigerian universities need 10 trillion naira yearly. Our budget is 8 trillion. Even at 26 % of budget for education, that won't be enough.

You see why fees have to go up ? Even if times were good?
Please i will like to know how you came about the 600000 to train one Nigerian student in one year.

Universities raise about 100 million naira at least from hostel annually. How much of this is used for repairs and maintenance of the hostels? Why do our hostels still look old and disgusting?
Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by Nobody: 8:29am On Jun 27, 2017
They have join Ambrose Alli University
Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by Nobody: 8:31am On Jun 27, 2017
eph12:

Please i will like to know how you came about the 600000 to train one Nigerian student in one year.

Universities raise about 100 million naira at least from hostel annually. How much of this is used for repairs and maintenance of the hostels? Why do our hostels still look old and disgusting?

1. Above figure was given in an article I read in 2014. ASUU Fg agreement of 2009 put it at 300000 naira.

2. As for hostels, where did you get your figure from?. wink
Anyway, most of the money universities earn go on worker salaries. Of course, corruption is there too
Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by drdre51(m): 8:34am On Jun 27, 2017
I CRY FOR THIS COUNTRY. MORE ESPECIALLY, THE SO CALLED IGBOS. ONLY GOD CAN CHANGE THIS FOLLY.
Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by LOVEGINO(m): 8:35am On Jun 27, 2017
TheSociopath:
No fewer than 38 universities across the country
have increased their tuition fees as a result of
poor funding by the Federal and State
governments.
The Chairman of the Academic Staff Union of
Universities (ASUU), University of Ibadan Chapter,
Dr Deji Omole, made this known in a statement
made available to newsmen in Abuja on Monday.
The statement which assessed the two years of
President Muhammadu Buhari in office, lamented
that the current government had made Nigerians
poorer.
Omole said that the public education was not
taken seriously because most children of the rich
and those in high offices do not attend school in
Nigeria.
“The latest increment might be attributed to poor
funding by the federal and state governments as
ASUU poorly rated the President Muhammadu
Buhari in the area of funding of university
education.
ASUU also noted that it would be difficult for any
Nigeria university to effectively compete globally
with the inadequate allocation of budgetary
funding as prescribed by UNESCO to fund
education.
News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that
University of Lagos (UNILAG) which was paying
N14, 500 would now pay N63, 500 as tuition
fees.
Other institutions that increased their fees
include, Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), from
N27, 000 to N41, 00; University of Nigeria (UNN),
from N60, 450 to N66, 950; Obafemi Awolowo
University, from N19, 700 to N55,700.
Others are Nnamdi Azikiwe University (UNIZIK),
from N20, 100 to N65,920; Bayero University,
Kano, from N26,000 to N40,000; University of
Abuja, from N39,300 to N42,300 and Usman
Danfodiyo University, from N32,000 to N41,000.
National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN), from
N36,000 to N41,000; University of Benin (UNIBEN)
, from N12, 000 to N49,500; University of Ilorin,
from N16, 000 to N75,000 and Federal University
of Technology, Akura (FUTA), from N13, 560 to
N83,940.
Also in the list are: Federal University, Minna
(FUTMINNA), from N20,000 to N37,000;
University of Calabar, from N30,500 to N42,750
and University of Uyo, from N71, 000 to N84,
Federal College of Education (Technical), Akoka,
from N16,000 to N40,000; Osun varsity, from
N95,000 to N135,500; Anambra State University,
from N76,000 to N139, 000 and Lagos State
University, from N96,750 to N158,250.
Ibrahim Badamosi Babangiga University, Lapai,
from N25, 000 to N52, 000; Imo State University,
from N120,000 to N150,000; Plateau State
University, from N50,000 to N100,000 and
Moshood Abiola Polytechnic, from N57,000 to
N75,000.
Others are: Ibadan Polytechnics, from N30,000
t0 N50,000; Abia Polytechnics, from N56,550 to
N61,000; Auchi Polytechnic, from N14, 800 to
N28,000 and Ondo State University of Science
and Technology, Okitipupa, from N70,000 to
N80,000.
Enugu State University of Science and Technology,
N104,900 to N124,900; Kwara Polytechnic, Ilorin,
from N28,000 to N44,000; Ladoke Akintola
University of Technology (LAUTECH), from
N65,000 to N72,500 and Tai Solarin University of
Education, from N66,500 to N76,500.
Afe Babalola University, from N675,000 to
N1,075,000; Igbinedion, from N540,000 to
N820,000; Crawford university, from N400,000
to N600,000 and Redeemers University, from
N545,000 to N605,000.
Also in the list are Covenant University, from
N774, 500 to N814, 500 and Benson Idahosa

Source; www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/38-nigerian-universities-increase-tuition-fees-ASUU/203262.html
sai changee!
Re: 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU by 9jatatafo(m): 8:36am On Jun 27, 2017
no mater the increment in tuition, the school will still crave for more increase in the future

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

If You Know Prime Numbers You Should Be Able To Solve This Shape (Photo) / Nigeria's History At A Glance (photo) / 6 Tough But Underrated Courses In Nigerian Universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.