Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,939 members, 7,806,719 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:45 PM

Should A Child Be Allowed Choose Its Own Belief? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should A Child Be Allowed Choose Its Own Belief? (802 Views)

Givers Embassy: Abuja Church Where Tithes And Offerings Are Not Allowed / Comedians Shouldn't Be Allowed To Perform In Churches - Lagos Pastor (Video) / I Think I'm Losing My Belief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Child Be Allowed Choose Its Own Belief? by hollowpot15684(m): 10:17pm On Jun 26, 2017
It is normal and pleasing that parental impact be strong. I'm not talking particularly about genes, but about all the influences that parents inevitably bring to their children.

A child may be born with zero knowledge, but few weeks after birth they start to demonstrate attitudes that correlate with basic adults. which means we learn everything we know. But at some point in time, we find ourselves changing views on general ideas such as religion, monogamy. etc. most of which constitute popular beliefs.

But the question is, will deciding what belief we want for ourself motivate our commitment to such belief, or what implications do you think a Childs freewill to religion or monogamy bring to our society? (I deliberately use religion and monogamy as a case)

whats your orientation on this? I need your reasonable answers.
Re: Should A Child Be Allowed Choose Its Own Belief? by hopefulLandlord: 10:22pm On Jun 26, 2017
Yes!
but indoctrination is a powerful thing
Re: Should A Child Be Allowed Choose Its Own Belief? by 4everisaac(m): 10:25pm On Jun 26, 2017
A child should be guided (without bias) about what religion to choose but left alone to decide.
Re: Should A Child Be Allowed Choose Its Own Belief? by hopefulLandlord: 10:28pm On Jun 26, 2017
4everisaac:
A child should be guided (without bias) about what religion to choose but left alone to decide.

this post contradicts itself

"guiding" the child on what religion to chose is as good as choosing for the child IMHO

1 Like

Re: Should A Child Be Allowed Choose Its Own Belief? by hahn(m): 10:35pm On Jun 26, 2017
Children should be taught to rely on evidence and be rational and not depend on faith, belief or other such nonsense

2 Likes

Re: Should A Child Be Allowed Choose Its Own Belief? by dalaman: 10:36pm On Jun 26, 2017
If children weren't indoctrinated then there won't be so many adherents of the many different religions we have. Childhood indoctrination is the only reason mostrich people practice and stick to their various religions.
Re: Should A Child Be Allowed Choose Its Own Belief? by Nobody: 11:23pm On Jun 26, 2017
Double post.
Re: Should A Child Be Allowed Choose Its Own Belief? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jun 26, 2017
Only inculcate in them core moral values... Without shades of religious belief.

1 Like

Re: Should A Child Be Allowed Choose Its Own Belief? by hollowpot15684(m): 5:59am On Jun 27, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
Yes!

but indoctrination is a powerful thing

what are its power??
Re: Should A Child Be Allowed Choose Its Own Belief? by hollowpot15684(m): 6:05am On Jun 27, 2017
4everisaac:

sounds viable.
Re: Should A Child Be Allowed Choose Its Own Belief? by hollowpot15684(m): 6:16am On Jun 27, 2017
dalaman:
If children weren't indoctrinated then there won't be so many adherents of the many different religions we have. Childhood indoctrination is the only reason mostrich people practice and stick to their various religions.

I think indoctrination should come at a later stage, when a person has vanquished all biases and have the ability to judge which is best for him.
Re: Should A Child Be Allowed Choose Its Own Belief? by hollowpot15684(m): 6:17am On Jun 27, 2017
hahn:
Children should be taught to rely on evidence and be rational and not depend on faith, belief or other such nonsense
you hit the nail by the head.
Re: Should A Child Be Allowed Choose Its Own Belief? by luvmijeje(f): 6:45am On Jun 27, 2017
Pro 22:6
Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it

Christian's Parents should train up their children to fear and love God. They should not train up rebellious children who will grow up and start raining online and offline insult on God and by this raining curses upon their lives.

Thank God for my mum(Iya deeperlife) for raising her children well. Though I've doubt as an adult but I've never open my mouth to rain insult on God.
Re: Should A Child Be Allowed Choose Its Own Belief? by ifenes(m): 7:05am On Jun 27, 2017
A child will always be indoctrinated in some form or another. The most important thing is for child to be encouraged to be able to think for itself. This way he/she can become whomever to choose to be without too much outside influences,even from the parents. In today's changing world,there is the need children to become critical thinkers, analyze information,contrasts and develope high listening and thinking skills.

No child is born with zero knowledge technically, but well, the knowledge of the dos and don't of a society may be alien to them but a one day old badly definitely knows what the mother's nipples are for. There is always knowledge but it's up to the parent to allow the child enhance it without too much interference.

In terms of monogamy.... I think a child while growing up get bullied into accepting that monogamy is the way to go. There are lots of negative articles, phrases, songs, beliefs about the word "cheating". The society frowns at a person who has sexual freedom, it wants stability in love affairs even when both parties ain't happy with one another. We have lots of institution, emotionally needy females,and even males using the word "cheat" to blackmail lovers and ex lovers. This needs to change. There is no such thing as cheating, it's called sexual freedom. Children shouldn't be put into such bondage. Polygamy,monogamy should be up to individual,without judgment.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Are Jews Going To See Heaven / The Voices That Speaks To Me In The Night. / Tithing: The Gullibility and Hypocrisy Of The Nigerian Christian -A Must Read!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.