Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:07 PM

When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? (9364 Views)

The Right Way To Preach About Hell - Milton Goh / Why Don't Pastors Preach About PAUPER'S TITHE As Prescribed By Scriptures? / When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Issues On Family Values And Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by Suspect33(m): 12:51pm On Jul 02, 2017
TheLordIsGr8:

Please can you elucidate on how this is a lie? I'm curious
Meanwhile, here is a line of papal succession going all the way to St. Peter

Hope you remember how Jesus was pursued when he was born that his parents had to flee to Egypt. Is it not the same way the dragon pursued the woman in revelation? Anyway, I won't try to reduce that passage to an absurd level of simplicity. But if you care, there's a whole series on the book of revelation here

That one is actually a lie. The Catholic church doesn't teach that. Please get your facts straight at least if you're going to criticize.

What a lot of people who criticise the Catholic church don't like is NOT the Catholic church. They simply don't like what THEY THINK is the Catholic church.
thanks for your time bro, hope i did not annoy you? Just serve God and develop a relationship with him, denomination in the body of Christ is the cause of division and hatred. Peace
Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by charlsecy(m): 1:01pm On Jul 02, 2017
Sacluxpaint:
....but not all their teachings are correct....
Can you tell us a Christan denomination where all their teachings are correct!
Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jul 02, 2017
Suspect33:
thanks for your time bro, hope i did not annoy you? Just serve God and develop a relationship with him, denomination in the body of Christ is the cause of division and hatred. Peace

Thanks to you too.

Of course you did not annoy me. Making your point shouldn't annoy anyone.

Yeah, men have caused division in the body of Christ. But still God is not a God of confusion. As a wise God he knows the importance of keeping his message consistent and unchanged, no matter what men may do.

Peace

2 Likes

Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by Captain001(m): 1:13pm On Jul 02, 2017
An2elect2:
It depends on the rules. Country laws? yes. Office rules? sure but keeping rules to earn spiritual blessings. Nope. A Christian is simply led by God's Spirit.

If as a man I get behind closed doors with a lady that is not my wife about to fornicate, will the spirit of God come down to lead me away from the act? If someone wrongs me deeply, will the spirit of God come down to lead me to forgive even if the person didn't ask for forgiveness?
Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by Stefano911(m): 1:28pm On Jul 02, 2017
torres89:
this is one of many reasons I love the Catholic Church...

no time for prosperity teaching....

Yahoo Yahoo pastors every where
and the Anglican church of Nigeria
we dont paint words just to attract members.
we tell you the hard truth
Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by Gobhanky: 1:46pm On Jul 02, 2017
By hailing mary abi
Fools
torres89:

the Catholic Church teaches us and shows us the way of life, just as Jesus Christ did...

keep up the faith....

Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by An2elect2(f): 1:56pm On Jul 02, 2017
Captain001:

If as a man I get behind closed doors with a lady that is not my wife about to fornicate, will the spirit of God come down to lead me away from the act? If someone wrongs me deeply, will the spirit of God come down to lead me to forgive even if the person didn't ask for forgiveness?
A spirit led Christian has no business being behind closed doors with a lady. sad
Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by juman(m): 1:58pm On Jul 02, 2017
ZKOSOSO:
It seems most General Overseers deeply don't believe in afterlife.

It's now all about the money, fame, Power, health, fire to kill enemies, tithes, breakthroughs, anointing and good life.

But God is same. Hell and Heavens are Real

Funny but true.

Pastors that does not like reminding their followers of death. But just desire telling them about getting rich and enjoy life.
Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by Mpanyi: 2:01pm On Jul 02, 2017
Sacluxpaint:

We can further degenerate into arguments, but my point is that some doctrines like purgatory is not biblical. You can reply my mention and I am ready to go all day with you but na you go tire.

Anyway, I am a Christian with no affiliation.

You can as well ask where you, your church and many other things were mentioned in the Bible. But looking at tge Bible you and your church may have been mentioned indirectly, may be as one of the persons created in God's image and your church one of the false teachers or others that are gathering with Christ.

About purgatory many instances in the Bible is enough to let you there is one or similar place. There are sins that can be forgiven here and hereafter 1John:16. There are sins which cannot be forgiven hereafter. The same verse is enough to make you understand that.

My point is there is a purgatory or something similar as nothing unclean shall enter the Kingdom of God. Also the parable of the servant who was forgiven of his debt by his master but failed to forgive his fellow servant who was later jailed by his master until he pays all his debt shows that even certain sins are forgiven here on earth, there may be some debt to pay for the forgive sin here or hereafter. Finally catholic as a church always teach about holy life, no dwelling on purgatory, letting you know sin is sin and finally God decides where one should go after death.
Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by Mpanyi: 2:07pm On Jul 02, 2017
Suspect33:
i ran away from catholic church because of prosperity preaching, idolatery, lack of spiritual growth and rituals done to in church, catholics serve another god entirely, believe me there are hidden meaning to everything they do, members are just spiritually blind to see.. I observed all this bcus God choose to open my eyes, He led me out of catholism to deeper life

Hahaha. Runner. I'm sure you the blade runner that killed his girlfriend.
Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by nefertitiram: 2:09pm On Jul 02, 2017
asuustrike2009:

I grew there too but with time I got to know that most of their practices doesn't tally with the scriptures intact it's against it. I love the Catholic Church but their practices scares me each time I visit there.

Same here. But they scare me... Is it not the same bible I'm reading
Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by Captain001(m): 2:18pm On Jul 02, 2017
An2elect2:
A spirit led Christian has no business being behind closed doors with a lady. sad

Good. Why has he no business with being behind closed doors with a lady? Because he knows and keeps the RULES; do not commit adultery. Your body is the temple of God, keep it holy. And so many other rules in that regard.

1John 3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that PRACTICES righteousness is righteous, even as He is righteous.

What does "Practices" mean? Isn't it a deliberate act of man to follow and live by a rule(Be ye holy)?

The Bible didn't say " He that the Holy Spirit leads to righteousness"

1 Like

Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by Sexina851(f): 2:24pm On Jul 02, 2017
torres89:

your opinion

u can ask the 1.2 billion Catholics in the world about their teachings, then u will get a clearer view.

Whether catholic teaches hell or not, all dat will matter at d end is ur personal relationship with God. He will not judge the 1.2 billion Catholics together, likewise pentecostals. So it's everyone for himself
Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jul 02, 2017
nefertitiram:

Same here. I still visited the Vatican last year, attended mass at the basilica and said Angelus with the Pope. But they scare me... Is it not the same bible I'm reading
The Catholic Church would have been one of the best churches on earth but that aspect of idol worship is what most persons don't like
Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by achieverme(m): 2:39pm On Jul 02, 2017
Sacluxpaint:

Yes, I love their uniqueness, but not all their teachings are correct, no disrespect bro.

No perfect preacher anywhere bro, be it in Catholic Church or other churches. All through today, the Red Dr. was only talking about being one with God and loving God through your neighbor. Nothing like sudden riches preaching.
Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by achieverme(m): 2:41pm On Jul 02, 2017
Sacluxpaint:

We can further degenerate into arguments, but my point is that some doctrines like purgatory is not biblical. You can reply my mention and I am ready to go all day with you but na you go tire.

Anyway, I am a Christian with no affiliation.

Purgatory is real.
Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by Funkybabee(f): 3:24pm On Jul 02, 2017
every gathering even we normally pray not to miss the kingdom of God
Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by Denery143(m): 3:27pm On Jul 02, 2017
An2elect2:
Yes sure. It must. But it's sad that the centre of that message isn't always Christ but keeping "rules"
its never so, knwin how you end up is nt 2 u keeping rules
Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by An2elect2(f): 3:27pm On Jul 02, 2017
Captain001:

Good. Why has he no business with being behind closed doors with a lady? Because he knows and keeps the RULES; do not commit adultery. Your body is the temple of God, keep it holy. And so many other rules in that regard.

1John 3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that PRACTICES righteousness is righteous, even as He is righteous.

What does "Practices" mean? Isn't it a deliberately act of man to follow and live by a rule(Be ye holy)?

The Bible didn't say " He that the Holy Spirit leads to righteousness"
True we are to live righteously but it's not by keeping rules but through faith in Christ who would live out His obedience in us.

You have your theology but it's not rightly positioned. Our righteous living are the fruits of the Spirit in us when we believe.

Romans 1:16,17
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile. For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed—a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.
Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by SirGoldEjike(m): 3:31pm On Jul 02, 2017
An2elect2:
Yes sure. It must. But it's sad that the centre of that message isn't always Christ but keeping "rules"
tongue
An2elect2:
Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by EmilyNte1988(f): 3:52pm On Jul 02, 2017
My pastor does often. I represents Church of God mission international.
Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by Bammzzie(m): 4:53pm On Jul 02, 2017
Dat is my pastor's topic almost every time hez opportune to preach.... today's topic was dat we shouldn't base our hope on frivolous things of dis world
Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by Chinoxl247: 6:23pm On Jul 02, 2017
[quote author=torres89 post=58044753]

you just lack understanding

every prayer we say and all our doctrine is in the Bible

use wiki and open the Bible

it's the oldest standing church and has the largest population,

if the Catholic Church was false teaching , it won't be as prominent as now

how many countries and wats the population of your church

infact you are supposed to be so grateful to the Catholic Church , because the earliest missionaries gave u and your church most of the resources u use

infact if not for the catholic church u might still be worshipping idols in your​ village

stop hating we are your father's[

surprised that you are catholic because they are the oldest. It's not about how old Catholic is? It's about the truth, do they actually preach the truth. Do they pray.
Why would you bow down to a statue?
Also, where is worshipping of Mary in the Bible...what chapter?

I was once a catholic, but Miracles don't lie. You don't hear casting of demons in catholic.
Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by Chinoxl247: 6:27pm On Jul 02, 2017
God bless you. You you are smart.
Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jul 02, 2017
Suspect33:
That's the basic thing. Serving God, no matter the church. I love the Catholic Church so much but that won't make me to criticize other churches... The most important thing is that peace, unity and love is fostered. Its such a shame that some Christians spend their time arguing about doctrines instead of loving one another and living in peace.

2 Likes

Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by Fearcom(m): 6:41pm On Jul 02, 2017
dalaman:
Nigeria is hell already so which mythical hell are you talking about again? Most churches don't preach about heaven and hell anymore but about prosperity because that is what appeals to most people. The here and now is what appeals to most people not some after life .

Time to drive some sense into your life.
Your mind is limited. it cannot grasp truth. that it's unaware of.

Hell is real, so are demons:I've had numerous encounters with them; and so is heaven, angels and the like. There's a realm that exists simultaneously with this one; the realm of the Spirit. And it's far greater than this one.

Can you compare water in the tumbler cup in front of you to the vast water on the high seas in the Atlantic?
Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by dalaman: 6:58pm On Jul 02, 2017
Fearcom:

Time to drive some sense into your life.
Your mind is limited. it cannot grasp truth. that it's unaware of.

Hell is real, so are demons:I've had numerous encounters with them; and so is heaven, angels and the like. There's a realm that exists simultaneously with this one; the realm of the Spirit. And it's far greater than this one.

Can you compare water in the tumbler cup in front of you to the vast water on the high seas in the Atlantic?

Shut up you myth believer. You are a liar.
Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by adjoviomole(m): 7:37pm On Jul 02, 2017
Every sermon. Even if he is talking on prosperity he will still start with eternity. (the apostolic faith Church )
Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by Captain001(m): 7:54pm On Jul 02, 2017
[quote author=An2elect2 post=58050336] True we are to live righteously but it's not by keeping rules but through faith in Christ who would live out His obedience in us.

You have your theology but it's not rightly positioned. Our righteous living are the fruits of the Spirit in us when we believe.

Romans 1:16,17
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile. For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed—a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.
[/

We all know that our righteousness is in Christ by faith in that we don't have to sacrifice animals physically to obtain forgiveness of sin. It is by faith that we believe that blood of Jesus which we only read about but did not and cannot see has the ability to cleanse and make us rights. But we have to follow and keep lifestyle rules for righteous existence. The man Job didn't have Christ when God attested there's non on earth as righteous as him]
Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by naksjude(m): 8:48pm On Jul 02, 2017
in the catholic church,All our teachings are related to eternity...from everyday mass to Sunday masses
Re: When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? by Agimor(m): 9:52pm On Jul 02, 2017
asuustrike2009:

an Idolater is a devoted admirer of idols but what does the Bible say about images and idols?

1. Exodus 20:4-5
“Thou shalt not MAKE unto thee ANY graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not BOW DOWN thyself to them Nor SERVE them.”

Do Catholics MAKE graven images? Yes.
Do Catholics KNEEL down to statues of Mary or Jesus? Yes.
Do Catholics SERVE Mary? Yes, as in “Legion of Mary.”
Do Catholics BOW DOWN and kiss the foot of the pagan god Jupiter which was renamed St Peter? Yes.

2. Leviticus 26:1
“You shall make you NO IDOLS nor GRAVEN IMAGE. Neither rear you up a STANDING IMAGE. Neither shall ye set up any IMAGE OF STONE in your land to bow down unto it.”

Do Catholics rear up STANDING IMAGES? Yes.
Do Catholics set up any IMAGE OF STONE? Yes.

3. Deuteronomy 4:16
“Lest ye corrupt yourselves, and MAKE you a GRAVEN IMAGE, the similitude of ANY FIGURE, the likeness of MALE or FEMALE.”

Do Catholics make graven images of MALE or FEMALE? Yes. Mary is a female. Jesus and the apostles are males.

4. Deuteronomy 16:22
“Neither shalt thou SET thee UP ANY IMAGE: which the Lord thy God HATES.”

Do Catholics SET UP ANY IMAGES? Yes.
Does God HATE IMAGES? Yes.

5. 1 Thessalonians 1:9
“How ye turned to God FROM IDOLS to serve the living and true God.”

Worship means the adoration given to God alone. In this sense Catholics don't worship Mary or any of the other saints. In fact, the Catholic Church forbids any adoration to be given to any one or any thing but God. But in an older use of the term "worship" could cover not just the adoration of God but also the honor given to anyone deserving of honor.

Begin with the word itself. It comes from the Old English weorthscipe, which means the condition of being worthy of honor, respect, or dignity. To worship in the older, larger sense is to ascribe honor, worth, or excellence to someone, whether a sage, a magistrate, or God.

But there are different kinds of worship, just as there are different kinds of honor. The highest honor, and thus the highest worship, is given to God alone, while the honor or worship given to living men or to saints in heaven is of a different sort. Idolatry thus does not simply mean giving worship (in the old sense) to living men or to saints; it means giving them the kind reserved for God.

Nowadays, there is a problem using the word "worship" because in the popular mind it refers to the worship of God alone. For practical purposes it has come to mean nothing else than adoration.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? / How I Embraced Christ / What We Should Do To Our Enemies As Christians..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.