Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,903 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:44 AM

Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere (10321 Views)

Court Orders Gov Lamido, 3 Others To Pay APC Candidate N30m In Damages / Court Orders Police To Pay N12m As Damages To Salesboy / Assault: Arogundade, Navy Lose Appeal In Miss Uzoma Okere Assault Case (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by asha80(m): 7:18pm On Jan 27, 2010
Judge awards ₦100m damages to Uzoma Okere

Justice Opeyemi Oke of the Lagos High Court sitting in Igbosere has awarded ₦100 million in damages to Uzoma Okere who was assaulted by four officers of the Nigerian Navy on November 3, 2008.

Ms. Okere sued Rear-Admiral Harry Arogundade, the four naval ratings in his convoy whom she said beat and stripped her on the stated date, when she refused to leave the road for the convoy.

As part of the judgement, the court also asked the respondents to write a letter of apology to the claimants, which must be published in at least four newspapers within one month of the judgement.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5518438-146/story.csp
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by asha80(m): 7:19pm On Jan 27, 2010
Men i no mind if they beat me up like that come give me 100 million shocked grin cool
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jan 27, 2010
The girl don hammer oh!!!!!!!!

Nigerian chicks go begin find who go beat them make dem for go court
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by asha80(m): 7:23pm On Jan 27, 2010
mikeansy:

The girl don hammer oh!!!!!!!!

Nigerian chicks go begin find who go beat them make dem for go court

grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Mekusxyz: 7:28pm On Jan 27, 2010
Where will the money come from? From the Navy, which implies taxpayers' (you and I) money or from the pocket of Arogundade and his boys? This is trash judgement. Arogundade should go to jail and still pay compensation. Newspaper apology is TRITE.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jan 27, 2010
#100 million,i hope victims of police brutalities can get this type of justice,
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jan 27, 2010
This one is dedicated to all u arm chair critics, you can go to court when u have been wronged even in Nigeria and get justice, it may take time but it will come. kudos Ms. Okere for taking this bold step
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by slap1(m): 10:05pm On Jan 27, 2010
There's gotta be an appeal. Innit? Well, I'm happy the case did'nt die a Nigerian death.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Mekusxyz: 10:15pm On Jan 27, 2010
This judgement has increased the number of wealthy/less impoverished Igbos grin grin grin. At least the money will float around Uzoma, friends and relations. But I hope Arogundade is the one paying (and not the Navy) so that he gets impoverished in the process, although I know he has stolen more than enough from govt. Awon omo ole
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by deor03(m): 10:33pm On Jan 27, 2010
Mekusxyz:

This judgement has increased the number of wealthy/less impoverished Igbos grin grin grin. At least the money will float around Uzoma, friends and relations. But I hope Arogundade is the one paying (and not the Navy) so that he gets impoverished in the process, although I know he has stolen more than enough from govt. Awon omo ole

I can only imagine that you are a funny guy. Please don't tell me you really mean all these tribalism in your thought processes.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Katsumoto: 10:40pm On Jan 27, 2010
deor03:

I can only imagine that you are a funny guy. Please don't tell me you really mean all these tribalism in your thought processes.

You better believe it; he means all of it and he is very proud of himself. He even has some fans who worship him and call his attention to threads to start tribal fights.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jan 27, 2010
Wait a bit,they will soon arrive!
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Mekusxyz: 11:07pm On Jan 27, 2010
Mekusxyz:

This judgement has increased the number of wealthy/less impoverished Igbos grin grin grin. At least the money will float around Uzoma, friends and relations.

Is this claim by any means untrue, that is if the money is actually paid? We are talking about a 100 million here.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by asha80(m): 11:09pm On Jan 27, 2010
Mekus to be honest you go over the board at times.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Mekusxyz: 11:10pm On Jan 27, 2010
asha 80:

Mekus to be honest you go over the board at times.

You will have to prove that my claim is wrong
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Mekusxyz: 11:12pm On Jan 27, 2010
This is like the white slave masters paying reparation for slavery. What does the money do? It enriches and empowers the slaves. This is no to imply that Uzome was enslaved to anyone, although even slaves are not treated the way she was treated.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Fhemmmy: 11:23pm On Jan 27, 2010
This has open the can of worm.
I think this is a great judgement and this make the uniformed men be careful before they beat people up, and i am sure , even their superiors will start to warn them
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by walestar01(m): 11:28pm On Jan 27, 2010
I think I will go and look for officer's trouble, grin grin
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by gen2boi: 11:31pm On Jan 27, 2010
She should have demanded for 500M , 100m is too little compared to her life been on the line
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by ayettymama(f): 11:34pm On Jan 27, 2010
i saw the video, she wasnt really beaten but she was stripped

it was unneccesary but 100million is too much

seems like naija judges think out thier asses
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Fhemmmy: 11:34pm On Jan 27, 2010
walestar01:

I think I will go and look for officer's trouble,  grin grin

I think i will join you oh
gen2boi:

She should have demanded for 500M , 100m is too little compared to her life been  on the line

I think they have done well.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Fhemmmy: 11:35pm On Jan 27, 2010
ayettymama:

How much do you think she would have been awarded if she was in Western world.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by gidson12(m): 11:39pm On Jan 27, 2010
good judgement
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by whiteroses(f): 11:41pm On Jan 27, 2010
whats the judges number
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by DisGuy: 11:42pm On Jan 27, 2010
ayettymama:

the video obviously didnt show everything

and being stripped in public is  not exactly what an appropriate punishment for
someone who cant move their car out of the way in heavy traffic is it?
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by archbishop(m): 11:43pm On Jan 27, 2010
HELLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,

This girl is connected thats why she won N100 million, if it was a poor man pikin, she wouldn't even win the case.
Naija will never change.

How many people don sue police and Army but got nothing. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
but a lesson 4 all to learn especially the MILITARY.
I rest my case.
archbishop.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by cold(m): 11:44pm On Jan 27, 2010
The defendant(s) still hav a right to appeal & after that what's the guarantee that the money will be paid if she still wins,this is naija
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by DisGuy: 11:45pm On Jan 27, 2010
aisha2:

This one is dedicated to all u arm chair critics, you can go to court when u have been wronged even in Nigeria and get justice, it may take time but it will come. kudos Ms. Okere for taking this bold step

erm if nigeria means Lagos then maybe just maybe,
if nigeria is the same one where a judge in bauchi (or thereabouts) fined a man found guilty of raping a 3 years old
girl just N6000 then  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by gen2boi: 11:48pm On Jan 27, 2010
Fhemmmy

Thats some £5M and above bruv
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by kayc33(m): 11:49pm On Jan 27, 2010
woow! gud for her cool
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Fhemmmy: 11:49pm On Jan 27, 2010
kayc33:

woow! gud for her cool
I bet you would like to his phone number now . . . . . Lol

archbishop:

HELLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,

This girl is connected thats why she won N100 million, if it was a poor man pikin, she wouldn't even win the case.
Naija will never change.

How many people don sue police and Army but got nothing. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
but a lesson 4 all to learn especially the MILITARY.
I rest my case.
archbishop.

That is true, however, if they could award this, soon someone with nothing and knows no one will win such cases and finally Nigeria will be a fair place to be regarding how people are treated.
gen2boi:

Fhemmmy

Thats some £5M and above bruv

Yes oh . . . . .
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by DeepSoul(f): 11:50pm On Jan 27, 2010
Chei! See me oh! Today I passed in front of some mopol men parked in front of a fast food joint (they had apparently come to buy food too) and immediately I passed, one of them shouted at me "No road here! You no dey fear to pass for our front! My friend, turn back"

And one of them said "She no dey fear. Maybe na because she tall she think say she strong"

I looked at him for a second and just because I wasnt in d mood for trouble, I jejely turned and passed behind the car instead.

As I turned, I couldnt help but wonder what they'd have done if I'd simply ignored them. Would they have shot me?

If I was in d mood, I wld have told them how there is no difference btwn them and house boys these days!

Readin this story now, I think I should have oh! Them for beat me small and I for win N200m. Chei! What a miss!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

nPDP Will Not Pull Out Of APC — Apugo / Justice Rita Ofili-ajumogobia Re-arraigned, Granted Bail / Why Revoked Lands Were Demolished – Edo Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.