Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,968 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:21 AM

Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria (41841 Views)

Dangote Refinery Gate, Lagos Gradually Taking Shape (Photos) / Dangote's $13b Generator Arrives In Nigeria, Femi Otedola Witnesses The Arrival / Dangote Gets $650m Afreximbank Loan For Lekki Refinery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by Islie: 6:25am On Jun 28, 2017
Rising Unemployment in Nigeria Gives Me Sleepless Nights, Says Dangote

Jonathan Eze

President of the Dangote Group, Alhaji Aliko Dangote, has revealed that the success or failure of any of his businesses does not bother him or make him lose sleep like the rate of unemployed Nigerian youths.

Dangote, the richest man in Africa, disclosed this at the weekend on the sideline of a meeting with business leaders/chief executive officers from Nigeria and Kenya held at the Dangote Lekki free-trade zone in Lagos.

He stated that unemployment gives him sleepless nights, as he posited that it’s the collective responsibility of both the government and entrepreneurs to create jobs for the teeming Nigerian youths as a way of solving the restiveness and agitations that the nation is experiencing from different geo-political zones.

According to him, population growth is not abating as population and poverty go together especially in the northern part of the country where limitless procreation is recorded.

Dangote also harped on diversification as the major solution to the unemployment challenges the nation is facing, submitting sadly though, that successive governments had always paid lip service to job creation and diversification.

He said: “Since 1978, when I came to Lagos, government has been talking about diversification of the economy which has not happened up till now. It is also sad that nobody is challenging anybody about how many jobs he or she has created.

“In reality though, it is not solely government duty to provide jobs. It is also the duty of entrepreneurs, but government at all levels must provide the enabling environment. When there is no jobs, people get frustrated, and I can tell you that the Boko Haram insurgency is a product of frustration. The way to go is diversification. Nigeria should diversify its economy, and take crude oil as icing on the cake.”

Dangote appealed to young entrepreneurs especially from the Lagos Business School (LBS) who were part of his audience to brace up for the challenge and do something differently. He described Nigeria as a scratched card that has not been touched, and would be useless after loading it. “Nigeria is like a recharge card.

Anywhere you touch is money. You should also have visions and be focused,” he added.

On the quit notice order given to Igbo people in the North by a coalition of northern youths, Dangote said it is a topic not worth discussing, and however, urged the people to stop talking about it. According to him, “Unknown people are talking about Igbo leaving the North, and we are joining them to talk about it. Why are we talking about it? It shouldn’t be discussed at all. Those saying it are just seeking relevance.”

He recounted many world class projects his conglomerates have embarked, including the largest single petroleum refinery in the world with 650,000 barrels per day capacity, and 780 KTPA polypropylene, Africa’s largest urea plant with 3 million tonnes per annum capacity; largest sub-sea pipeline infrastructure in any country in the world with 1,100 kilometres to handle three billion sef of gas per day; world scale gas treatment stations and world class petrochemical complex among others.

Dangote added that his company is determined to transform and diversify the Nigerian economy.

“When we rolled these projects out, there was nothing like devaluation but now, we have to double our efforts and it is not a problem because Dangote group is a leader in the new breed of African multi-national conglomerates, and that is why its rated top 10 in Africa and top 400 globally.

“We are globally competitive, yet growing local capacity and manufacturing quality products. Dangote is rapidly transforming from a Nigerian company to a dominant African brand,” the Dangote Group president noted.

The business mogul told the gathering that while people are scared of investing especially in the recession the nation has found itself, Dangote group has been investing because without investment, there cannot be growth.

He acknowledged the fact that some individuals had invested in the past but failed with their businesses owing to inconsistencies in government policies and power challenge.

To mitigate these hurdles, Dangote said it became necessary to be closer to those in government in order to always exchange ideas on how to improve the economy. On the issue of power, Dangote stated that his company decided to generate its own power in different countries where it operates; it’s only in South Africa and Ethiopia where it does not have its own power plants because it relies on power from the national grid.

In Senegal we, generate our own power and it’s now in excess, so we sell to the government at modest rate.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/06/28/rising-unemployment-in-nigeria-gives-me-sleepless-nights-says-dangote/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:27am On Jun 28, 2017
See Lies grin

The person below me is just a kid

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by LionDeLeo: 6:27am On Jun 28, 2017
Dangote, the real industrialist from the north.

Still searching for any jew that comes close to him in the area of employment generation.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by KahlDrogo(m): 6:29am On Jun 28, 2017
Dangote, you are more worried about the level of unemployment than the failure of your multi-million dollar businesses Huh?

Now you sound like a politician.

82 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by kokoA(m): 6:29am On Jun 28, 2017
Kathmandu:
See Lies grin
Is it your sleepless night?

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:30am On Jun 28, 2017
Sadly the Government and the politicians did not feel that way. They just want steal public fund and care for theirself alone

3 Likes

Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by KahlDrogo(m): 6:30am On Jun 28, 2017
LionDeLeo:
Dangote
Space secured, oya comman type.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by LionDeLeo: 6:32am On Jun 28, 2017
KahlDrogo:
Space secured, oya comman type.

grin grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by livinus009(m): 6:33am On Jun 28, 2017
Na mumu you call US nau!! Nigeria's Unemployment gives you sleepless night. If I tear you slap! Mitchew

15 Likes

Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by ProjectNaija(m): 6:33am On Jun 28, 2017
May God continue to bless dangote.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by nototribalist: 6:38am On Jun 28, 2017
He is trying to say that restructuring is the way forward. And am still asking where is thiefnubuu, as politicians are trying to drag osibande to early grave.

1 Like

Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by sammieguze(m): 6:44am On Jun 28, 2017
Every reasonable being is saddened by that
it is however sad that not every human being is reasonable

2 Likes

Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:55am On Jun 28, 2017
LionDeLeo:

Still searching for any jew that comes close to him in the area of employment generation.
Industrialist why the north has 5million unemployed still roaming the street

15 Likes

Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:57am On Jun 28, 2017
LionDeLeo:

I'd rather have 100 Obi and Bros company that its business capital is 10million naira than a dangote only whose business capital is 100million naira

17 Likes

Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by LionDeLeo: 6:59am On Jun 28, 2017
Kathmandu:
Industrialist why the north has 5million unemployed still roaming the street

Madam, I say I no dey do.

Na by force?

5 Likes

Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by Tiffbuxas: 7:00am On Jun 28, 2017
It's my space... But u can borrow it

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:04am On Jun 28, 2017
LionDeLeo:

Madam, I say I no dey do.

Na by force?
Engage in intellectual debate and stop sounding petty. You are the Only graduate in your LGA in Kano but to the outside world it is a total waste because your IQ seems low with the level of tribalism you abhor in your heart.

P.S Stop sounding sexist and always remember that I'm above your dreams

22 Likes

Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by LionDeLeo: 7:08am On Jun 28, 2017
Kathmandu:
Engage in intellectual debate and stop sounding petty. You are the Only graduate in your LGA in Kano but to the outside world it is a total waste because your IQ seems low with the level of tribalism you abhor in your heart.

P.S Stop sounding sexist and always remember that I'm above your dreams

5 Likes

Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:11am On Jun 28, 2017
[quote author=LionDeLeo post=57907280][/quote]

I love it when i get Haters grin

It Shows me that I'm doing Right and my messages is hitting the right chord

7 Likes

Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by LionDeLeo: 7:13am On Jun 28, 2017
Kathmandu:

I love it when i get Haters grin

It Shows me that I'm doing Right and my messages is hitting the right chord

English.

9 Likes

Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:22am On Jun 28, 2017
LionDeLeo:

English.
How much has Dangote wealth being a positive in your LGA

1 Like

Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by Funlordmaniac(m): 7:58am On Jun 28, 2017
Kathmandu:
How much has Dangote wealth being a positive in your LGA

See the thing that is telling someone else that his education is a waste and that he possesses a low IQ? Ol girl this your "engrish" composition skills can cure epilepsy! grin

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by korrej(m): 8:05am On Jun 28, 2017
there are words you see or hear people say and you begin to doubt how true the words are...
trust me, i doubt these words...
though it could be true...
but,
i am still in doubt...
Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by salabscholar01(m): 9:20am On Jun 28, 2017
ok
Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by skywill(f): 9:20am On Jun 28, 2017
ok
Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by BuhariNaWah: 9:20am On Jun 28, 2017
See a citizen is worried.....
And Buhari is there speaking Hausa.

Kai Buhari na wah!
Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by koolcat: 9:21am On Jun 28, 2017
I love reading people's comments I just can't help myself. It's like an addiction. So in honor of those comments that I have read, I have decided to write my own comment. And it's all for you. I hope you enjoy reading my comment as much as I have enjoyed writing it. It's not an interesting comment, but I'm pretty certain you have read the comment up to this point, so you may as well just keep reading right down to the end. And also thank me for wasting your time cause this is very useless, Kikikikiki

10 Likes

Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by Lexusgs430: 9:21am On Jun 28, 2017
Did I see his nose elongate?
Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by dayleke: 9:22am On Jun 28, 2017
Is that true sir?
Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by biz2get(m): 9:22am On Jun 28, 2017
This Same Dangote Adds to the Growing Unemployment In Nigeria.

How can you decide to Run other business, out of business
Due to Lust of Monopoly.?

There is Dangote cement, Salt, noodles, garri, pepper etc

How can other company's employ. When Dangote has decided to take over 90% market.?

7 Likes

Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:22am On Jun 28, 2017
Re: Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria by Beehshorp(m): 9:22am On Jun 28, 2017
LionDeLeo:

Have u taken your morning drugs?

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Bank ATM Works For International Transaction / The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience / 6 Ways To Make Money In Nigeria This Christmas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.