Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,453 members, 7,770,123 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:39 AM

A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like (6825 Views)

Top Ten Things That Will Happen When Nigeria Is Restructured / Where Would The Regional Headquarters Be Cited In A Restructured Nigeria / What A Truly Restructured Nigeria Will Look Like Economically (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by BabaRamota1980: 2:48am On Jun 29, 2017
I hear people submitting different state models but with little concern for historical reference.

Why can't we evovle the natural-model, along culture, language, progeny, philosophy?

1 Like

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by Phonefanatic: 2:48am On Jun 29, 2017
It's too late.

1 Like

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by leofab(f): 3:12am On Jun 29, 2017
The menstruating rat above me is not normal.. You can never see nwamaikpe in such educative threads.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by leofab(f): 3:13am On Jun 29, 2017
beamtopola:

Region too will still make us lazy. Let it be individual state, leave ethnicity.rivers state is rivers state calabar is calabar .
why don't we make it community by community ? Or maybe by family

1 Like

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by seunmsg(m): 7:02am On Jun 29, 2017
BabaRamota1980:
I hear people submitting different state models but with little concern for historical reference.

Why can't we evovle the natural-model, along culture, language, progeny, philosophy?

Well, we may end up with far more than 100 states or region if we go by natural model. The idea behind restructuring is to create federating units that are financially viable and can stand on their own. Not creating region/States for every natural ethnic groups that won't be able to financially stand on their own.

1 Like

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by Smoothie01(f): 7:24am On Jun 29, 2017
Finally, we see an educative thread on NL politics section
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by shobenward: 8:00am On Jun 29, 2017
I support those that argue that Nigeria should have 6 regions and even more importantly the constitution must acknowledge all the ethnic tribes in Nigeria, no matter their size..Each region would have resource control and would each have their own sub constitution designed along their ethnic practices i.e the north east could base their constitution on sharia if they so please. This regions would then create states along their sub ethnic leanings i.e The Yoruba region could create states such as ijebu, Egba .The South South could create ijaw and itshekiri states etc.with each of this states having representatives at the respective parliament of each region.
The federal level should be a parliamentary system headed by a prime minister who will function as head of government and a president as head of state and will also double as president of the Senate. The Federal government would only be largely concerned with foreign affairs coordination and defence,border security.
Education would be a joint affair between the regions and the federal government .
All items on the concurrent and the residual list would be handled by the regions with the power to devolve them to their respective states. This is my idea of an ideal Nigeria where the South will not feel threatened by the northern conservative attitude and each region would develop at its own determined pace free from external pressures and would even begin to adopt their own indigenous language as official languages in their respective domains and would adopt their own educational syllabi without fear of one religion over the other with minimal input from the federal level. Each contributing to the centeredness their own fair share.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by mandarin: 8:11am On Jun 29, 2017
dabeto:
I love this. When thought or idea comes it's not given to one person. Having been thinking along this line. Wish it could come to pass. Thanks a million

You will discover that most wars that has taken place in modern Africa resulted from undue dominance and lack of voice to the voiceless. Sudan, Congo ,CAR, Rwanda etc. People have the right to agitate when things aren't working for them but the moment you want to suppress such, problems begin to brew. It is not sufficient to defend the current system when people especially youths who were not part of the post independent political brouhaha to be subjected to the imaginations of those who fought a war in the 60s. If we say our current structure and systems aren't enabling us to grow economically, instead of sharing fearful tales and impossibilities, let us examine how every group across economic ,ethnic, cultural, linguistic etc groups can move forward in the same country. For instance, if the central government constitution says Nigeria is a secular state and a particular region/state is asking for federal funding on issues of say pilgrimage, the government will decline. I mean, we can all find fulfillments as a multicultural, multi religious and multiethnic nations in a country called Nigeria
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by Nobody: 8:16am On Jun 29, 2017
leofab:
why don't we make it community by community ? Or maybe by family
U do not make sense, let keep it the way it is.
State by state. I believed most of you belong to state that does not have any resources, may be that's why you want to alienate your state with mine to tap from my glory. Leave it, go and invest in agriculture!
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by Nobody: 8:20am On Jun 29, 2017
shobenward:
I support those that argue that Nigeria should have 6 regions and even more importantly the constitution must acknowledge all the ethnic tribes in Nigeria, no matter their size..Each region would have resource control and would each have their own sub constitution designed along their ethnic practices i.e the north east could base their constitution on sharia if they so please. This regions would then create states along their sub ethnic leanings i.e The Yoruba region could create states such as ijebu, Egba .The South South could create ijaw and itshekiri states etc.with each of this states having representatives at the respective parliament of each region.
The federal level should be a parliamentary system headed by a prime minister who will function as head of government and a president as head of state and will also double as president of the Senate. The Federal government would only be largely concerned with foreign affairs coordination and defence,border security.
Education would be a joint affair between the regions and the federal government .
All items on the concurrent and the residual list would be handled by the regions with the power to devolve them to their respective states. This is my idea of an ideal Nigeria where the South will not feel threatened by the northern conservative attitude and each region would develop at its own determined pace free from external pressures and would even begin to adopt their own indigenous language as official languages in their respective domains and would adopt their own educational syllabi without fear of one religion over the other with minimal input from the federal level. Each contributing to the centeredness their own fair share.
I love this idea. 6 region, north east, northwest, southwest ,south south, and south east.
Ss will includes, bayelsa, delta, rivers, akwaibom, calabar and Edo.
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by mandarin: 8:22am On Jun 29, 2017
BabaRamota1980:

One way to defeat the demand for states is, just ask people to submit demands for new states, you will be amazed. I think even as small as Lagos state is some are still demanding for a Lagoon state! People want states because some politicians will suddenly find their voice and use the instrument of such states to enrich their families and the poor will become poorer. Any conference that will satiate needs for states in Nigeria will probably bring the number of states to over a hundred or up to three hundred and, yes, most of them will just pile up overhead expenses and become unsustainable.
In 1996 in the last states created, I think its Gombe that has shown some improvements and maybe Ebonyi but that's over 20years! We better tell ourselves the truth that political developments has changed from the 6s, youths want economic prosperity and liberty to be whatever they want to be

1 Like

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by theSpark(m): 8:24am On Jun 29, 2017
beamtopola:

Region too will still make us lazy. Let it be individual state, leave ethnicity.rivers state is rivers state calabar is calabar .

You're right. There is a reason many communities agitated for States of their own. You can't just lump them back together into regions as they'll face the problems they ran way from in the first place.

I think 36 States are just good. Everyone stays in charge of their resources and pays the Federal government tax. With time those that can't cope will negotiate with neighboring States to merge. Those that can survive will stand.

For States that want to breakup Maybe minimum requirements must be met for new state creation. Like say they must have potential to generate sat 30 billion in revenue. Must have population of say at least 800k etc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by BabaRamota1980: 8:24am On Jun 29, 2017
seunmsg:

Well, we may end up with far more than 100 states or region if we go by natural model. The idea behind restructuring is to create federating units that are financially viable and can stand on their own. Not creating region/States for every natural ethnic groups that won't be able to financially stand on their own.

Were there not more than that before colonialists lumped it together? Whats the problem if all 250+ ethnics say they want existence in the way they were as a political unit before white man brought his political model?

If a people A choose via referendum to be alone, whether they are self sustainable or not is not the problem of people B.

2 Likes

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by Nobody: 8:30am On Jun 29, 2017
deedeedee1:
Who da hell will want to restructure a country with 300 ethnic groups? You want to go back to something that failed 50 yrs ago. What your grandfather practiced that lead them to civil war. Only a foool, a useless person, a stupid person, and an eediot will repeat it.
We cannot go back to regionalism because it will increase ethnic tension. Awolowo, akintola, ahmadu bello and co would not advise you to practise it today. They all knew what they faced. There was hate, tribalism, nepotism in their time. No matter how you look at it, nothing will make nigeria better until we separate.
Regiionalism can ecxel in an indigenous country with less ethnic diversity. Those ones that are still shouting restructure are yet to face reality.
Restructure ko destruture ni.
Nonsense!!
Why do you like robbing peter to pay Paul. Me I want enjoy my oil o.
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by mandarin: 8:33am On Jun 29, 2017
beamtopola:

I love this idea. 6 region, north east, northwest, southwest ,south south, and south east.
Ss will includes, bayelsa, delta, rivers, akwaibom, calabar and Edo.

You will agree with me that some people will nurse the fear of the south south having enough resources to break away and also becoming rich overnight due to proceeds from oil and gas. I think we must learn to desire the prosperity of our fellow beings. That region has suffered and there's need for some growth now.
Using the German model, we can have a 50-50 sharing of proceeds so that half can be redistributed to help others grow. However someone may wish to ask, what about offshore oil and gas beyond the 200nm, it can be agreed upon.

1 Like

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by deedeedee1: 8:33am On Jun 29, 2017
beamtopola:
Why do you like robbing peter to pay Paul. Me I want enjoy my oil o.
Me i dont want restructuring but total disintegration. Se you get?
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by Nobody: 8:35am On Jun 29, 2017
deedeedee1:

Me i dont want restructuring but total disintegration.
Se you get?
That won't help either, restructuring is far better.
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by mandarin: 8:36am On Jun 29, 2017
BabaRamota1980:

Were there not more than that before colonialists lumped it together? Whats the problem if all 250+ ethnics say they want existence in the way they were as a political unit before white man brought his political model?

If a people A choose via referendum to be alone, whether they are self sustainable or not is not the problem of people B.

I agree with you. People should begin to let others be but we must also desire a workable structure that will not promote poverty or seclusion so that we don't breed more disciplines for terrorists
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by omoharry(f): 8:39am On Jun 29, 2017
seunmsg:
A restructured Nigeria should not have more than 6 or 7 regions. We also need to look critically at how revenues will be shared between the regions and federal government. We have to structure the system in such a way that regions with less endowments won't be left behind. We are going to have a single currency and economy so, we can't afford an extremely rich region and an extremely poor one. A straight jacketed 70-30 or 50-50 proposal is not feasible and won't work. We need to find a way around this.

Issue of regional citizenship also needs to be discussed and agreed upon. Will all Nigerians have the rights to live anywhere in the country and do business without restrictions? Personally, I won't mind regions having the power to bounce some unruly fellows. grin

We should have a regional and federal police covering different areas of crime prevention. INEC should remain a federal body to conduct all elections in the country. Regional INEC is a no no as it will be abused by regional lords.

Representation at federal Parliament should not be based on equality of regions but on population. We should conduct a credible population census and delineate legislative constituencies based on population.
Nice one.To add to your comment..every state should do a credible census among their citizens especially permanent residence in their respective state.People from other state that are interested in relocating to that state must be registered with the local govt .They must take account of their presence for data purposes. All citizens of a particular state should be identified by their state name and not the ethnic group they are from..so that there would not be another form of ethnocentrism and marginalization within that state.all citizens of state must be given a sense of belonging.
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by mandarin: 8:40am On Jun 29, 2017
deedeedee1:

Me i dont want restructuring but total disintegration.
Se you get?
I believe whatever will help you actualize your type of dream can still be found and redeemable in a restructured Nigeria. If for instance, the Igbo want Biafra, why can't we have an autonomous Biafra in Nigeria. In China for instance, we have Macau and Hong Kong while in United Kingdom we have entities like Wales, Scotland, England etc, we can have ours in a model that work for all of us. This will be significant as a message to the world that we are capable of ruling ourselves and not at all times resort to violence that will take us back by another half a century
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by omoharry(f): 8:44am On Jun 29, 2017
bolanto24:

Every region should look inward JOOR... no more rubbing from Peter to pay Paul. 70% to regions and 30% to federal government is OK. The federal government can take care of the less wealthy regions.

Regional or state/County/local police is paramount.

The regions should be created by Tribes or closely related tribes. We should not make a mistake of lumping some less populated tribes with big ones else the oppression and marginalisation will continue. I am interested in all the Ijaws in one region.

The Federal government will only control the military, foreign affairs.

The national assembly should be unicameral and equal members from each state. We don't want some regions using their numbers to oppress others.

THESE ARE THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR ONE NIGERIA. ELSE SEPARATION BECOMES INEVITABLE.

I AM READY TO CHAMPION THIS FOR MY PEOPLE.
JUST LOST HOPE IN NIGERIA.
UNICAMERAL..YES AND THEY SHOULD BE ON PART TIME.every law maker should have what he or she is doing privately and law making should be his/her part time job.
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by BabaRamota1980: 8:48am On Jun 29, 2017
mandarin:

I agree with you. People should begin to let others be but we must also desire a workable structure that will not promote poverty or seclusion so that we don't breed more disciplines for terrorists

That awareness and assessment need to be part of public information service....before, not after, the referendum. A thorough assessment must precede the votes. A unitary culture might be best served joining a conglomerate of commonwealth for economic subsidies but politically its voice will be suppressed. So people need to come to grips with reality, dont join a surrogate political group for economical survival and then start demanding presidential office to rotate to you. Make wise cost/benefit choice. If you dont like to be politically dominated by the majority, a self government but in poverty might be your best option.

1 Like

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by mandarin: 8:49am On Jun 29, 2017
theSpark:

You're right. There is a reason many communities agitated for States of their own. You can't just lump them back together into regions as they'll face the problems they ran way from in the first place.

I think 36 States are just good. Everyone stays in charge of their resources and pays the Federal government tax. With time those that can't cope will negotiate with neighboring States to merge. Those that can survive will stand.

For States that want to breakup Maybe minimum requirements must be met for new state creation. Like say they must have potential to generate sat 30 billion in revenue. Must have population of say at least 800k etc.

Hmn, I can feel you but each region will still have its internal structures that can continue to evolve. Under the current system, I feel we will be creating more problems than solving them.
Lets understand a few of the reasons for agitations:
Economic, ethnic, cultural and even spiritual dominance are a few reasons. Creating more states to solving these problems is like picking up every beautiful dress out there, if you wear more than one at a time your admirers will begin to sense something is beginning to go wrong upstairs.
Regions can divide themselves into counties or even on township basis and have Mayors from their kinsmen and everyone can be a part of governance

1 Like

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by BabaRamota1980: 8:51am On Jun 29, 2017
Smoothie01:
Finally, we see an educative thread on NL politics section

Educate me about smoothie.... cheesy cheesy
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by omoharry(f): 8:52am On Jun 29, 2017
beamtopola:

I agree with you.i think we should look at the last confab report it stated that each state should control whatever they have as resources and pay 30% tax to the federal govt,This state on their own can also decide if they wish to create more state under that region or not.We dont want another Tribal leaders causing ethnic crisis like what happened in the 60s.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by mandarin: 8:54am On Jun 29, 2017
beamtopola:

U do not make sense, let keep it the way it is.
State by state. I believed most of you belong to state that does not have any resources, may be that's why you want to alienate your state with mine to tap from my glory. Leave it, go and invest in agriculture!

I will want you to begin to look not on things you didn't create but on what you can create to add value. Aba, Ibadan, Nnewi and Laduna are centers of handicrafts in Nigeria, where people are adding economic values. The war of natural resources has brought many African countries on their knees and we must begin to look at the African brains, what can we do so as not to die in poverty!

1 Like

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by deedeedee1: 8:55am On Jun 29, 2017
mandarin:

I believe whatever will help you actualize your type of dream can still be found and redeemable in a restructured Nigeria. If for instance, the Igbo want Biafra, why can't we have an autonomous Biafra in Nigeria. In China for instance, we have Macau and Hong Kong while in United Kingdom we have entities like Wales, Scotland, England etc, we can have ours in a model that work for all of us. This will be significant as a message to the world that we are capable of ruling ourselves and not at all times resort to violence that will take us back by another half a century
How many of your politicians are in support of it? Are the hausas-fulani and their norther brothers in support? How many southerners are in support? This morning a governor from the south east voiced against it, so how then can we achieve it? Scotland is trying to leave the uk. Hong kong are also planning on leaving china. They all want to stay on their own.
Its has been over 40 years that people have been crying for restructure.
I have given up hope.
I want total disintegration.
That is final for me

1 Like

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by mandarin: 9:02am On Jun 29, 2017
omoharry:
I agree with you.i think we should look at the last confab report it stated that each state should control whatever they have as resources and pay 30% tax to the federal govt,This state on their own can also decide if they wish to create more state under that region or not.We dont want another Tribal leaders causing ethnic crisis like what happened in the 60s.

What is important is to first of all understand our makeup, how we have been wired to function. In Africa we have affinity to the land, culture and our peculiar ways we organize our societies. You can't suppress that but rather look at how you can take advantage of that to create a country where each group will feel part of the country while taking ownership of their land, cultural values etc
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by omoharry(f): 9:05am On Jun 29, 2017
deedeedee1:
Who da hell will want to restructure a country with 300 ethnic groups? You want to go back to something that failed 50 yrs ago. What your grandfather practiced that lead them to civil war. Only a foool, a useless person, a stupid person, and an eediot will repeat it.
We cannot go back to regionalism because it will increase ethnic tension. Awolowo, akintola, ahmadu bello and co would not advise you to practise it today. They all knew what they faced. There was hate, tribalism, nepotism in their time. No matter how you look at it, nothing will make nigeria better until we separate.
Regiionalism can ecxel in an indigenous country with less ethnic diversity. Those ones that are still shouting restructure are yet to face reality.
Restructure ko destruture ni.
Nonsense!!
Deedee..sometimes if you have nothing positive to say it better to just observe as a spectator..you did not even bring any suggestion on how to live together as Nigerians but to discredit people commendation and contribution toward a restructured Nigeria...yes our fathers did not do well when Nigeria practiced regionalism but that does not mean we will fail. That is why we have history.which we have certainly learnt from..now this time around the state will retain their positive ( which was not there in the 60s) and who ever cannot survive on their own can merge with another viable state in that same region..it a thing of choice and not by force...so every state will have to wear their thinking cap on how to generate income to their states and regions as a whole..what is your suggestion if restructuring is not the solution? that we split up? why split up if there is an option of restructuring to ascertain if a region can leave in peace with one another...

1 Like

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by omoharry(f): 9:07am On Jun 29, 2017
mandarin:

What is important is to first of all understand our makeup, how we have been wired to function. In Africa we have affinity to the land, culture and our peculiar ways we organize our societies. You can't suppress that but rather look at how you can take advantage of that to create a country where each group will feel part of the country while taking ownership of their land, cultural values etc
Hmmm! that is a food for thought..so what do you suggest then?
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by mandarin: 9:07am On Jun 29, 2017
deedeedee1:

How many of your politicians are in support of it? Are the hausas-fulani and their norther brothers in support? How many southerners are in support? This morning a governor from the south east voiced against it, so how then can we achieve it? Scotland is trying to leave the uk. Hong kong are also planning on leaving china. They all want to stay on their own.
Its has been over 40 years that people have been crying for restructure.
I have given up hope.
I want total disintegration.
That is final for me

The current pressure is already opening the eyes of the antagonists and if well sustained, will lead us somewhere.However,you can't give up, Nigeria is not an Hausa/Fulani or any tribal enclave, it is your country.All things are achievable
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by Mujtahida: 9:12am On Jun 29, 2017
mandarin:

Splitting Nigeria is not the best option but can be the desire of the larger part but a restructured system can allay all our fears I believe.
Yes, Itsekiri may have to determine which side of the divide they will want but based on possible permutation they will probably chose the southwest considering aggressive neighbors, securing their territory will be better assured under that arrangement I think, its their call though
How about maintaining the current state structure but with States fully controlling their resources, in short a complete devolution of powers from the Federal to the states. And then within the state the governorship slot should be rotated among all the Ethnic groups within that state to avoid a situation whereby in the name of majority carries the vote one ethnic group Lords it over the others.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

"Resign Since You Can’t Fix Economy," Atiku Tells Buhari / Peter Obi Wan Disgrace Somebody Internationally / Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.