Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,451 members, 7,770,122 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:25 AM

A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like (6824 Views)

Top Ten Things That Will Happen When Nigeria Is Restructured / Where Would The Regional Headquarters Be Cited In A Restructured Nigeria / What A Truly Restructured Nigeria Will Look Like Economically (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jun 29, 2017
dyydxx:

Ok simple question. Do you think if everyone goes there separate ways the looting will stop? In so called Biafra, wont the OSU and any other ethnic minorities marginalised? Will Biafra be free from all forms of corruption?

Who's talking about osu in 2017? Have you ever heard that someone was denied a job or admission into any particular school because osu? Is there's any section of this country that can come up with a secular Constitution devoid of any religious or tribal sentiments, that section would be found in the south and South alone. Facts only!
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by mandarin: 4:15pm On Jun 29, 2017
SnowJay92:

What makes you think these people care about any agenda to you set?

Its not about what the elites want, by the time the country is too hot and the populace change their voting pattern they will learn. The people must begin to take their future in their own hands and begin to speak through their votes and through advocacy and I think this forum is one

2 Likes

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by mandarin: 4:19pm On Jun 29, 2017
SnowJay92:

Who's talking about osu in 2017? Have you ever heard that someone was denied a job or admission into any particular school because osu? Is there's any section of this country that can come up with a secular Constitution devoid of any religious or tribal sentiments, that section would be found in the south and South alone. Facts only!

The hope is a Nigeria that accommodate all the ethnic sentiments and give opportunity to all to excel. The current structure wasn't propagated by the people that's why it is serving the elites.
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jun 29, 2017
mandarin:

Its not about what the elites want, by the time the country is too hot and the populace change their voting pattern they will learn. The people must begin to take their future in their own hands and begin to speak through their votes and through advocacy and I think this forum is one

Well, good luck with that, if whatever you are saying on this forum isn't what the northern hegemony wants, you're on your own. Have you ever seen them commenting here? They don't have such time, they take stands, back it with actions on the streets and killings if need be. Is the north ready to change their voting pattern with you? Is their any decision you'd ever take that would not be ratified by the National assembly under the current structure? Who has and will continue to have the majority in the national assembly perpetually?
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by mandarin: 4:25pm On Jun 29, 2017
omoharry:
community? how will that work..is that not the same thing as the local govt? how will this community be form to be a component part of the govt if not through their local govt? or are you saying the local govt should be redefined? family by family is way too complex..

The Switzerland model is a bottom up approach where autonomy at different levels define government administrative areas. However, when we are all working to fill up a purse in Abuja its a top to down approach and its bad for Africa. A town can have a mayor who oversee governance and he can be a member of the provincial /regional /state parliament who is there to fight not to get funding from the centre but to retain wealth leaving his/her community

1 Like

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by duduzz: 4:25pm On Jun 29, 2017
The Akoko-Edo people of Edo are what?.
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jun 29, 2017
mandarin:

The hope is a Nigeria that accommodate all the ethnic sentiments and give opportunity to all to excel. The current structure wasn't propagated by the people that's why it is serving the elites.

That my friend is El Dorado, it's fantasy...it's not going to happen. Not in a thousand years! Not with the widely diverging ideology and interests between northern and southern Nigeria.
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by duduzz: 4:28pm On Jun 29, 2017
mrnigerdelta:
there are no indigenous Yoruba people in Edo. stop spreading lies

The Akoko-Edo people are what?.
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by mandarin: 4:29pm On Jun 29, 2017
SnowJay92:

Well, good luck with that, if whatever you are saying on this forum isn't what the northern hegemony wants, you're on your own. Have you ever seen them commenting here? They don't have such time, they take stands, back it with actions on the streets and killings if need be. Is the north ready to change their voting pattern with you? Is their any decision you'd ever take that would not be ratified by the National assembly under the current structure? Who has and will continue to have the majority in the national assembly perpetually?

The north is the north because of Nigeria, you take Nigeria out, it will be a different world. The north can brag because you let them! but when you want change, no one can stop you. If the north is the only part holding an opinion against other parts, it will fail.
I honestly believe any right thinking man can see that the way out of the mess Nigeria is in now is by fiscal and political restructuring or we may end up losing it all!
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by omoharry(f): 4:32pm On Jun 29, 2017
mandarin:

The Switzerland model is a bottom up approach where autonomy at different levels define government administrative areas. However, when we are all working to fill up a purse in Abuja its a top to down approach and its bad for Africa. A town can have a mayor who oversee governance and he can be a member of the provincial /regional /state parliament who is there to fight not to get funding from the centre but to retain wealth leaving his/her community
Ok..seems like a nice concept.not bad though.
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by mandarin: 4:32pm On Jun 29, 2017
SnowJay92:

Corruption and nepotism would be better controlled in a nation with common interests, the law would also be more decisive in dealing with corrupt elements. There would be less cases of "they are witch hunting me because I'm from so so ethnicity." People would have their destiny in their hands, once they don't have anything to blame failures on, everybody would sit up, an average southerner is not willing to pay tax because he knows that money would be pooled together in Abuja and shared to his disadvantage. Alcohol is one of the highest selling commodities in the world and as such one of the highest VAT earner, you say alcohol is haram but you get the lion share from alcohol taxes. Who is fooling who? The average southerner pays a higher tax, but his child that scored 150 in common entrance to unity school would be rejected for someone who scored 4, like single digit "4"....that my friend is the real haram!

That's the more reason restructuring should be worked out. VAT on alcoholic drinks and other consumables can't be a central government income but a fraction of such income will go to the central government
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by dyydxx: 4:36pm On Jun 29, 2017
SnowJay92:

Corruption and nepotism would be better controlled in a nation with common interests, the law would also be more decisive in dealing with corrupt elements. There would be less cases of "they are witch hunting me because I'm from so so ethnicity." People would have their destiny in their hands, once they don't have anything to blame failures on, everybody would sit up, an average southerner is not willing to pay tax because he knows that money would be pooled together in Abuja and shared to his disadvantage. Alcohol is one of the highest selling commodities in the world and as such one of the highest VAT earner, you say alcohol is haram but you get the lion share from alcohol taxes. Who is fooling who? The average southerner pays a higher tax, but his child that scored 150 in common entrance to unity school would be rejected for someone who scored 4, like single digit "4"....that my friend is the real haram!
I'm not sure I agree with your submission. Just because you have a nation of better interest doesn't mean corruption would be reduced. See look at how things operate now, even in the core Ndigbo, An Anambra man wouldn't want An Enugu man rulling him, they even consider those of Ebonyi not even pure Igbo enough. Take Ogun State where am from...You have the Egbas,Ijebus, Remos, Yewa...if Ogun State ever becomes a country on its own the bickering will be between themselves. It's always easy to unite against outsider but when there is no outsider internal crisis will spring. It tells you it's human nature of greed and selfishness that is the main culprits. The best thing is too restructure the system that guarantees rights for all. A system that check mates corruption. Institutions that serve as check and balances.

As for Sharia you mentioned it's only operational in 12 northern states strictly for Muslims and only for personal matters. Look even the UK has some sharia courts, even Israel...they are relics of the past and a strictly secular constitution will limit the influence of religion on life and governance. Let's be optimistic
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by mandarin: 4:40pm On Jun 29, 2017
dyydxx:

Thank you. When I wanted to reply you I saw please don't make racist or tribalistic comment in this section yet the mods don't enforce their rules. That moniker should have been banned and his destructive comments hidden.
Now on the subject matter I kind of have a different take. I am of the opinion that it's the failure of bad leadership and corruption that is the real problem and not the systems. This regional system they talk about was practiced by our forefathers it didn't stop the corruption. I remember vividly Kaduna Nzeogwu the organiser of the first coup say what led him to it was because the civilians were very corrupt. Okay, look at it this way, they said we shouldn't have federal roads, ask yourself what about the state roads? Are they better...what have the state governors done with whatever they get. Look at Bayelsa and Delta. The money that has gone through that place in the past 15 years is enough to turn those places to dubai if they had visionary leaders. So its not the system, it's the people. I agree the system might need some tweaking namely realigning states and more devolution of power to the states, Letting the Local Governments function well as they have been designed. The are virtually dead now because of State Government violating there autonomy. In short, the people need to change. We need a new consciousness and mentality that holds our leaders accountable and has a commitment to Good governance. My suggestion is this, Let them start from the 2014 Confab report and Implement it. This govt is a massive disappointment playing politics with it. At the very least, implement it or call your own and the nation can move forward. On the secessionists, those ones will be worse than even what they are complaining off if they ever get Power. The Corruption and Minority subjugation would be worse. We need a leadership that can implement the 2014 Confab.

I agree with you completely on corruption but I feel the current system encourages corruption too where government incomes are seen as national cakes to be shared.
Imagine even in dividing a father's estates without a will among five siblings can be so knotty talk less of sharing among multicultural country like Nigeria.
If a community that own oil block in Bayelsa takes ownership of their oil notwithstanding who's drilling, there's a percentage that accrue to the village say 10%, 20% to the council area or chiefdom, 30% to the region and 50% to the central government, you can bet that any lack of development will be tackled at the community level because the councilor/ mayor lives in their midst. It will engender greater accountability if you agree with me anyway
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by dyydxx: 4:42pm On Jun 29, 2017
SnowJay92:

Relax. Everything is step by step. If Nigerians are serious they will put pressure on this govt to implement the confab report. It may not be perfect but its a good start. They have never implemented any of these Sonaco and its high time people rise up and demand for such. If this govt doesn't accede, they should be voted out and replaced with those that would so the nation can move forward
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jun 29, 2017
dyydxx:

I'm not sure I agree with your submission. Just because you have a nation of better interest doesn't mean corruption would be reduced. See look at how things operate now, even in the core Ndigbo, An Anambra man wouldn't want An Enugu man rulling him, they even consider those of Ebonyi not even pure Igbo enough. Take Ogun State where am from...You have the Egbas,Ijebus, Remos, Yewa...if Ogun State ever becomes a country on its own the bickering will be between themselves. It's always easy to unite against outsider but when there is no outsider internal crisis will spring. It tells you it's human nature of greed and selfishness that is the main culprits. The best thing is too restructure the system that guarantees rights for all. A system that check mates corruption. Institutions that serve as check and balances.

As for Sharia you mentioned it's only operational in 12 northern states strictly for Muslims and only for personal matters. Look even the UK has some sharia courts, even Israel...they are relics of the past and a strictly secular constitution will limit the influence of religion on life and governance. Let's be optimistic

I don't wish to go down the religion Lane, but lemme ask you a simple question, in a case where a Muslim murders a Christian because of a religious dispute. which court should adjudicate such matter?
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by dyydxx: 4:52pm On Jun 29, 2017
mandarin:

I agree with you completely on corruption but I feel the current system encourages corruption too where government incomes are seen as national cakes to be shared.
Imagine even in dividing a father's estates without a will among five siblings can be so knotty talk less of sharing among multicultural country like Nigeria.
If a community that own oil block in Bayelsa takes ownership of their oil notwithstanding who's drilling, there's a percentage that accrue to the village say 10%, 20% to the council area or chiefdom, 30% to the region and 50% to the central government, you can bet that any lack of development will be tackled at the community level because the councilor/ mayor lives in their midst. It will engender greater accountability if you agree with me anyway
Hmmm are you sure the 60% accruing to the councilmen, village head and regional leaders not turn them to overnight billionaires grin while the common people still suffer? Let's be real. Look at Tompolo, Ayiri and the rest that have made tremendous wealth from the oil, are they better than their state governors? What little did they do to the community. Did the community hold them accountable? I know how the Niger delta people like to point to the Federal Govt and all but see how Alamesigha and Ibori looted. The money the 2 of them stole alone is enough to diversify the 2 states economy. Will we not just be changing the looters if the power eventually gets to there hands. I think its better we take it small by small and create institutions to checkmate corruption as well as strengthen the current ones. There must also be the political will.
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jun 29, 2017
dyydxx:

The struggle for power has been a factor in human relation, even if it's one family there would still be struggle over who would be the head, but at least the aspiration and interests would be the same or at least converging.

I fact if you ask me, the only way this country would remain anything close to one, I if a secular constitution would be enthroned and made to reign supreme over every part of the country. But is that possible?
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by EazyMoh(m): 4:52pm On Jun 29, 2017
If wishes were horses.....
All you have ignored the main problem and are chasing fantasies.
Our problem is not because we are different or because we are more than 300 ethnic groups religion or whatever. It's simply because most of those who find themselves in leadership positions mischievously use religion and ethnicity to cause acrimony and in the ensuing confusion get away with their looting and atrocities.
Even if you have regional governments with a central parliament, there always going to be FFKs fault every policy based on religion or ethnicity once they are not getting what they want.
Left for me I'd support total balkanization of the country, because it's always my tribe and region that's being blackmailed as the cause of all of our problems.
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by dyydxx: 4:56pm On Jun 29, 2017
SnowJay92:

I don't wish to go down the religion Lane, but lemme ask you a simple question, in a case where a Muslim murders a Christian as part of the jihadi, which court should adjudicate such matter? Sharia court or the civil court?

Murder 1 is a criminal case anywhere and especially under the current constitution. It will be tried in the criminal courts
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by mandarin: 5:00pm On Jun 29, 2017
dyydxx:

Hmmm are you sure the 60% accruing to the councilmen, village head and regional leaders not turn them to overnight billionaires grin while the common people still suffer? Let's be real. Look at Tompolo, Ayiri and the rest that have made tremendous wealth from the oil, are they better than their state governors? What little did they do to the community. Did the community hold them accountable? I know how the Niger delta people like to point to the Federal Govt and all but see how Alamesigha and Ibori looted. The money the 2 of them stole alone is enough to diversify the 2 states economy. Will we not just be changing the looters if the power eventually gets to there hands. I think its better we take it small by small and create institutions to checkmate corruption as well as strengthen the current ones. There must also be the political will.

At least the community will know the source of their problems. Don't you think a system that will checkmate ethnic or religious dominance is necessary while regions begin to work on how to tackle corruption
The Switzerland model of bottom up system of government is good at that level or what do you think?
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jun 29, 2017
dyydxx:

Murder 1 is a criminal case anywhere and especially under the current constitution. It will be tried in the criminal courts

Edit that my post bro, I was being over emotional, see convincing me to believe in this country once more would be a herculean task.
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by dyydxx: 5:03pm On Jun 29, 2017
SnowJay92:

The struggle for power has been a factor in human relation, even if it's one family there would still be struggle over who would be the head, but at least the aspiration and interests would be the same or at least converging.

I fact if you ask me, the only way this country would remain anything close to one, I if a secular constitution would be enthroned and made to reign supreme over every part of the country. But is that possible?

Yes it is possible and that is what the restructuring should be able and Indeed if majority of the people agitate for that it will become a reality.

Obviously because of the history of the country, the northern hegemony had been in control for most times and this has been because Southerners have never spoken with one voice. As Seunmsg said, we need to take the time now to define what we really want as a people so that politicians won't hijack this move for their own ends.
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jun 29, 2017
dyydxx:

But you do know people have been set free, protected and even rewarded, for that crime in the name of religion in this country right?
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by dyydxx: 5:13pm On Jun 29, 2017
SnowJay92:

But you do know people have been set free, protected and even rewarded, for that crime in the name of religion in this country right?

If that ever happened, that's a miscarriage of justice and it's because of corruption. In any case, if the country splits as the Biafra people are agitating, it won't solve the corruption problem. Ok look at it like this. Simply having a new system wont work if it is still the same corrupt hands that will be in leadership. Look at the corrupt judiciary that we have, does anybody really think in a Biafra country, there would be no corrupt judge? Trying to sanitise the system by strengthening current institutions is the way to go.
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by dyydxx: 5:26pm On Jun 29, 2017
mandarin:

At least the community will know the source of their problems. Don't you think a system that will checkmate ethnic or religious dominance is necessary while regions begin to work on how to tackle corruption
The Switzerland model of bottom up system of government is good at that level or what do you think?

Lol@ at least the community will know the source of their problems. grin When Ibori came back from Jail he was given a hero's welcome grin... This is somebody that just came back from jail for looting the same people celebrating him. The mentality of our people need to change honestly.
Yes I agree a system that checkmates ethnicity and religion is welcome but who will run it. For a country as large and diverse as Nigeria the federalism is probably the best way to go or true federalism as they say. More devolution of powers to the States. We need a Strong Federal government to cater for defense, foreign policy, monetary policy, military etc.

If we had sincere people, the system as it is is not out rightly bad. We are just cursed with bad governance. Honestly I wonder if its a black people problem. Look at the Zamfara governor now that stole $1m from Paris fund that is meant to pay salaries. Is that one Buharis fault? Do you think any system can work if such grand looting and theft of public funds is going on on such a scale. Those are the issues
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jun 29, 2017
dyydxx:

If that ever happened, that's a miscarriage of justice and it's because of corruption. In any case, if the country splits as the Biafra people are agitating, it won't solve the corruption problem. Ok look at it like this. Simply having a new system wont work if it is still the same corrupt hands that will be in leadership. Look at the corrupt judiciary that we have, does anybody really think in a Biafra country, there would be no corrupt judge? Trying to sanitise the system by strengthening current institutions is the way to go.

Let's dwell on nationalism for today. Those people were never arrested because the police and the law couldn't touch them, the religion reigns above the Constitution over there. But that's a topic for another day!
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by Demmzy15(m): 5:47pm On Jun 29, 2017
mandarin:

I believe whatever will help you actualize your type of dream can still be found and redeemable in a restructured Nigeria. If for instance, the Igbo want Biafra, why can't we have an autonomous Biafra in Nigeria. In China for instance, we have Macau and Hong Kong while in United Kingdom we have entities like Wales, Scotland, England etc, we can have ours in a model that work for all of us. This will be significant as a message to the world that we are capable of ruling ourselves and not at all times resort to violence that will take us back by another half a century
This is probably the best option, look at Iraq for instance. The Iraqi Kurdistan is an autonomous region which has its president, parliament, army(persmerga), etc. It's the most progressive area in Iraq but it's still answerable to Baghdad!

2 Likes

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jun 29, 2017
dyydxx:

Yes it is possible and that is what the restructuring should be able and Indeed if majority of the people agitate for that it will become a reality.

Obviously because of the history of the country, the northern hegemony had been in control for most times and this has been because Southerners have never spoken with one voice. As Seunmsg said, we need to take the time now to define what we really want as a people so that politicians won't hijack this move for their own ends.

OK, let's see how that goes, guess the patriotism never really goes away.
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by leofab(f): 11:42pm On Jun 29, 2017
omoharry:
community? how will that work..is that not the same thing as the local govt? how will this community be form to be a component part of the govt if not through their local govt? or are you saying the local govt should be redefined? family by family is way too complex..
because some local government don't have any resources and it will be breed laziness as alluded by you.. or maybe by family; let each family handle their resources nah.. or what do you think ?
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by leofab(f): 11:43pm On Jun 29, 2017
beamtopola:

U do not make sense, let keep it the way it is.
State by state. I believed most of you belong to state that does not have any resources, may be that's why you want to alienate your state with mine to tap from my glory. Leave it, go and invest in agriculture!
you do make any sense too; let it be by region or they do it by family; let all family handle their resources.. QES
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by leofab(f): 11:43pm On Jun 29, 2017
beamtopola:

U do not make sense, let keep it the way it is.
State by state. I believed most of you belong to state that does not have any resources, may be that's why you want to alienate your state with mine to tap from my glory. Leave it, go and invest in agriculture!
you do make any sense too; let it be by region or they do it by family; let all family handle their resources.. QED
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by Pharoh: 11:08pm On Sep 04, 2017
A bottom up approach starting with villiage/town/city is the way to go and any group of the fore mentioned can cooperate to form regions and leave any regions at any point in time then we have the central government.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigeria To Collaborate With S/Africa To Develop Oil Sector / LG Poll: Gombe APC Holds Mega Rally / Agunloye: EFCC Arrests Wanted Ex-minister, Releases Him On Bail A Week After

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.