Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,295 members, 7,808,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:17 AM

How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} (37039 Views)

UCH Ibadan Labelled Death Trap After Lady Died Due To Alleged Negligence / My Lassa Fever Story By Doctor Chibuike Joseph Chukwudum / Couple Set Out In Search Of Child But Got Intestines Twisted By Doctor (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by paulstrings(m): 1:55pm On Jun 28, 2017
A Grieving Mother { Mrs Stella Offor BAKARE} Is crying For Justice For Her Deceased Child.
Here is Her Account of what actually transpired:
=================================================================

Tobi, my only child (a male, good-natured 14-year-old) was admitted into Duro Soleye Hospital, Allen Avenue, Lagos State on the morning of Saturday, 10 June 2017. He died on the morning of Tuesday, 13 June 2017 due to the negligence of Doctors Korede and Awe , who were on duty and their employers, Duro Soleye Hospital.

What happened:

1. When Tobi was admitted, the hospital, surprisingly, had no wheel chair to take him to his ward. The nurse on duty put him on my back to get to the ward.

2. Duro Soleye Hospital placed Tobi on oxygen on Sunday, 11 June 2017. The oxygen cylinder was plastered and obviously not in good condition (see attached pictures). This had me worried, but I was more concerned about my son's survival.

3. Tobi had a CT scan at Echoscan on Monday, 12 June 2017. Duro Soleye had no functional ambulance to take us to Echoscan for the test, we had to pay N5,000 for the laboratory to bring their ambulance to pick Tobi up.

4. I repeatedly had to call the attention of the nurse or doctor on duty to attend to Tobi, to replace the drip, or to carry out their lawful duties. The nurses on night duty were never prompt or responsive, always complaining and reluctant to do their work. Throughout our stay in the hospital, the bed sheets were never changed. The floor was also cleaned with only water, instead of disinfectant.

5. We got the CT scan results at about 5pm. The doctors [OE2] on duty saw the results and had no clue how to proceed with the treatments. This was clear evidence of the doctors manifesting clear incompetence in the assessment of Tobi. At that point, I began to panic but could not take him to another hospital because he was already on oxygen. The doctors on duty tried in vain to get directions from the Medical Director, Dr. Odunowo, but could not reach him till about 11pm.

6. In the evening of that same day (i.e., Monday, 12 June 2017), I asked the lady doctor on night duty (Dr Korede) and the nurses to change to another oxygen cylinder to avoid midnight exhaustion. I did this, because their practice was to sleep throughout the night. Regardless of my lawful directive as a paying client and mother of the patient, they refused to change it, insisting that there was still a little oxygen left.

7. The oxygen got exhausted while the doctors and nurses were sound asleep. The doctors and nurses had even forgotten to do the routine ward rounds and could not categorically say when the oxygen got exhausted! The doctors and nurses on duty failed to attend promptly to Tobi, even though he required urgent medical attention.

8. Due to my diligence as a mother, I discovered that the oxygen was exhausted, I called the doctor and nurses to change to another cylinder. None of them knew how to fix the new cylinder, they were arguing among themselves whether it was 'rubber type' or 'plier type'! They subsequently called an elderly man, hospital driver, from downstairs[ who fiddled and fiddled with it and seemingly "fixed" it. Prior to my discovery, the doctor and nurses failed to change the oxygen cylinder, a task which should have been done under any circumstance for the good of Tobi.

9. The doctor (Dr Korede), nurses and the elderly man then left the ward and the doctor switched off the light saying light can damage his eyes. This heightened my fear; after some minutes I switched on the light and called out to the doctor, who came and declared Tobi dead. It turned out that no oxygen passed from the cylinder to Tobi!

10. Also, mucus in his mouth was not sucked all through the night. Tobi was unlawfully deprived of his right to life by the actions and inactions of the medical personnel on duty. He died a horrific and painful death with plenty choking mucus (picture attached), which the Medical Director of the hospital, Dr. Odunowo, saw himself.

I informed the Medical Director of this development when he resumed for duty on Tuesday, 13 June 2017. I also wrote a formal letter (copy attached) to the hospital, which they refused to acknowledge. I gave the hospital my phone number.

I want justice for my son, whose life, dreams and aspirations were illegally cut short. One of his dreams was to study Medicine in the university, so he could help save lives. Unfortunately, the same institution he looked forward to being a part of, woefully failed him. Doctors owe their patients a duty of care and must never be negligent in their duties.

Yours' sincerely,

Stella Offor BAKARE
#JusticeForTobi

Please help us get Justice

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by flexxyworld(m): 1:58pm On Jun 28, 2017
such a pain. but did you try another alternative since you weren't comfortable with their treatment or request him being referred too a better or more competent hospital. its like you knew there weren't competent but was using your kids life too take such risk.

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by Depreacherman(m): 2:02pm On Jun 28, 2017
How on earth could a doctor/ nurse who don't know how to fix oxygen be asked to take care of a patient on oxygen. I don't get it

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by mikky4764(f): 2:25pm On Jun 28, 2017
I don't really know wat went wrong but if the woman's side of the story is true, them some doctors don't deserve to be called one.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by paulstrings(m): 2:36pm On Jun 28, 2017
mikky4764:
I don't really know wat went wrong but if the woman's side of the story is true, them some doctors don't deserve to be called one.

I've attached Pictures For Some Proof embarassed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by thorpido(m): 2:40pm On Jun 28, 2017
I'll make enquiries about this.
It's such a sad report.

By the way what was your son diagnosed of?Was he a sickler?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by NwaAmaikpe: 2:43pm On Jun 28, 2017
shocked

OP after carefully reading...it's sad you lost Tobi but you too were relaxed and very indecisive.

If you noticed all these lapses, why were you scared to take better actions...you left him there for over 3days, You actually gambled with his survival chances.

Remember, it's better to err on the side of caution than not to err at all.

But your moniker says you are male why do you keep calling yourself a mother undecided

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by IwillSucced(m): 2:48pm On Jun 28, 2017
Chai
FitnessDoctor I hope all your health tips and remedies you are sharing will not land us inside dagbaru like this one
lalasticlala please do the needful

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by Mimzyy(f): 3:00pm On Jun 28, 2017
Waoh!!! This hospital!!! This is really pathetic. I know the hospital very well but i will reserve my comments.

The mum should have taken the boy to another hospital immediately she noticed the first lapse. Who knows, he might have survived it.

May his soul rest in peace and may God grant His family the fortitude to bear the loss.

Modified...an old review . Read more here.
https://www.reviewnaija.com/reviews/duro-soleye-hospital-ikeja/

6 Likes

Re: How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by Evablizin(f): 3:00pm On Jun 28, 2017
Nawa oo,the will fly abroad for proper medical treatment and allow poor nigerians die everyday by the hand of incompetent doctors and nurses with inadequate medical equipments

2 Likes

Re: How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by thorpido(m): 3:04pm On Jun 28, 2017
Mimzyy,what do you know about the hospital?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by paulstrings(m): 3:06pm On Jun 28, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

OP after carefully reading...it's sad you lost Tobi but you too were relaxed and very indecisive.

If you noticed all these lapses, why were you scared to take better actions...you left him there for over 3days, You actually gambled with his survival chances.

Remember, it's better to err on the side of caution than not to err at all.

But your moniker says you are male why do you keep calling yourself a mother undecided

Not My Son sir... Happened to the Mentioned Mother Up there in the Post. She asked us to share this until Justice is served.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by Mimzyy(f): 3:09pm On Jun 28, 2017
The hospital is a very terrible one and their license should be revoked. That's the summary bro.

Outdated equipment, very sluggish and uncaring nurses,lack of experienced hands..etc

thorpido:
Mimzyy,what do you know about the hospital?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by Mimzyy(f): 3:11pm On Jun 28, 2017
More..

Re: How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by madgoat(m): 4:14pm On Jun 28, 2017
cry cry

1 Like

Re: How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by flexxyworld(m): 4:15pm On Jun 28, 2017
Mimzyy:
The hospital is a very terrible one and their license should be revoked. That's the summary bro.

Outdated equipment, very sluggish and uncaring nurses,lack of experienced hands..etc

since one knew all these, then why even take such risk with a life so dear.. it hurts.. justice can't even bring back the innocent child again..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 4:16pm On Jun 28, 2017
Nigerian doctors are criminals

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by ajalawole(m): 4:17pm On Jun 28, 2017
Sorry for the lost ma. But why dont u take you child to a better hospital or request for transfer ma. RIP to the little boy
Re: How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by Ruggedfitness: 4:19pm On Jun 28, 2017
Its a very disheartening situation I see here and I hope the mother sues the hospital so that such occurences will be prevented and she might get a little relief..

A further note to everyone reading this thread.. When it comes to your health, don't manage, it is better you pray and believe in God than to manage..

Don't go to a hospital that is managing equipment and staff, this is what cost young tobi his life.. Go to a hospital that has enough, no matte how much it is you will get that money over and over again by saving that life..

I remain your favorite health blogger Paul Samuel FitnessDoctor

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by ipobarecriminals: 4:19pm On Jun 28, 2017
sad that's how ine useless hospital. gave me HBP tablet instead of typhoid/ malaria oo.Thank God,i checked it online b4 i swallow it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by whizzyleejr(m): 4:19pm On Jun 28, 2017
What a pity, they suppose to arrest all medical workers in the hospital and shut it, nowadays doctors are after money and not life saving just want to set up their hospital to have all the money in their account
Re: How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by ruggedtimi(m): 4:20pm On Jun 28, 2017
Re: How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by helphelp: 4:21pm On Jun 28, 2017
Hmmmm

God knows best..

R. I. P to your son
Re: How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by Theblackstalln: 4:22pm On Jun 28, 2017
May his soul rest in peace...it must being very painful to witness all what she witnessed as a mother...but I don't understand the justice she wants exactly...do you want the doctors and the nurses to be sacked why don't u just state that? And channel ur petition to the right medical body that deals with such cases... I pray God grants her the fortitude to bear the loss of Tobi...cos whatever justice she wants now can't bring tobi back imo

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by cthia(f): 4:23pm On Jun 28, 2017
flexxyworld:
such a pain. but did you try another alternative since you weren't comfortable with their treatment or request him being referred too a better or more competent hospital. its like you knew there weren't competent but was using your kids life too take such risk.
you are so right my dear...she knew they were not competent but still play alone with dem using d poor boy's life...so sad..RIP Tobi
Re: How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by whizzyleejr(m): 4:24pm On Jun 28, 2017
RIP to the boy, may God forgive you of all your sin.
All medical workers in the hospital should be arrested and the hospital shut down, i wonder why nowadays doctors are after money and not life saving and didn't want to work under others because of greed, whereas, they are neither competent nor experienced
Re: How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jun 28, 2017
As it is expected, I could pick some holes in the mother's narrative, most importantly despite her inconvenience and knowledge of the fact that her son wasn't getting the best of avail able care her money could pay for, she kept him there with the untenable excuse that he was on oxygen. He could have been moved even with the oxygen mask.
I am not holding the forte for my colleagues, if her account is true, they did really poorly and should face the disciplinary committee but as we all know, there are two sides tons coin.
Sound judgement can only be made after hearing both sides of the story. Most of what I see in the comments are biased and preconceived judgement.
I wish the grieving family fortitude for their loss.

11 Likes

Re: How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by Ruggedfitness: 4:25pm On Jun 28, 2017
Theblackstalln:
May his soul rest in peace...but I don't understand the justice she wants tho....do you wnat the doctors and the nurses to be sacked why don't u just state that?

I believe she is supposed to sue the hospital and they will be made to pay a fine or probably sent to jail (the doctors) or most welcomed, the licenses of the doctors in the hospital will be seized and they will be suspended.. or best of all she can go for all of the above
Re: How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by Ruggedfitness: 4:26pm On Jun 28, 2017
IwillSucced:
Chai
FitnesDoctor I hope all your health tips and remedies you are sharing will not land us inside dagbaru like this one
lalaticlala please do the needful

You are safe with me
Re: How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by Tiffbuxas: 4:26pm On Jun 28, 2017
So painful....evil people everywhere they get paid but will never do their jobs. My condolence Madame, I can't fully understand your pain, but I pray God give you strength to bear this inestimable loss. embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: How My Only Child Was Killed By Doctor's Negligence - #JusticeForTobi {Pics} by fatymore(f): 4:28pm On Jun 28, 2017
How can you be so learned like this and still fall victim or they help you write all this.. Your negligence as a mother caused his death.. So painful

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Help My Girlfriend Is Epileptic. / Man Loses Three Fingers While Handling Fireworks (banger)(graphic Pics) / Nigeria Sets Tooth-Brushing World Record

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.