Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:39 AM

If "Oct" Means 8, Why Is October The 10th Month? What Of September? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / If "Oct" Means 8, Why Is October The 10th Month? What Of September? (2206 Views)

Breaking News: Schools To Reopen 7th Of September - Federal Government / JAMB Offers 200,000 Admission: Accept Or Reject Before 16th Oct. / Do You Know What 'A Luta Continua' Means? - Pius Adesanmi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If "Oct" Means 8, Why Is October The 10th Month? What Of September? by originalKsp(m): 7:15am On Jun 29, 2017
Ever wondered If "Oct-" means 8 and "Sept-" means 7, why is October the 10th month and September the 9th?

If you still remember your geometry class, you will know that an Octagon has 8 sides. In Chemistry class we also learnt that Octane contains 8 carbon atoms. "Oct" seems to indicate the number 8.

You probably also know that a septuagenarian is someone in his 70's. "Sept-" also indicates 7...but why is that different for our months? Why is October not the 8th month..what of September, why is it not the 7th?

The fact is that they used to tally! October used to be the 8th month! September used to be the 7th and we used to have 10 months in a year! The Roman year used to start with spring (1 March) which makes September to December the 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th months.

The original Roman calendar on which the
modern calendar was based is as follows:

Martius (31 days)
Aprilis (30 days)
Maius (31 days)
Iunius (30 days)
Quintilis (31 days)
Sextilis (30 days)
Septembris (30 days)
Octobris (31 days)
Novembris (30 days)
Decembris (31 days)

The first month of the year used to be March...yea, the third one now! From the above, the days add up to only 304 - this was because the winter days after the end of December and before the beginning of the following March were not assigned to any particular month!

Then Pompilius came along and added what are now January and February, but instead of sensibly tacking them onto the end, he pushed the others up with Ianuarius and Februarius at the top.

Julius Caesar further reformed the calendar
(Julian calendar). His successor Augustus
renamed Quintilis as Iulius (July) to honor of
Julius and Sextilis as Augustus (August) in
honour of... himself.

Julius Caeser

THE REAL CULPRITS

January and February are the real culprits for the disparity of the names of the months vs their position on the calender.

ADDITIONAL FACT:

September is also special in that it's spelt with 7 different letters and 9 total letters --
numbers which correspond elegantly to both
its root meaning and its calendar placement.
No other month can do this trick.

Source: http://samimath.com/forums/topic/if-oct-means-8-and-sept-means-7-why-is-october-the-10th-month-and-september-the-9th/

cc Lalasticlala, Mynd44

1 Like

Re: If "Oct" Means 8, Why Is October The 10th Month? What Of September? by Priest69(m): 7:25am On Jun 29, 2017
Enlightening

1 Like

Re: If "Oct" Means 8, Why Is October The 10th Month? What Of September? by oldfoolnigger(m): 7:27am On Jun 29, 2017
lol. see scientific explanation!!!

I didn't read the article thou!!!
Re: If "Oct" Means 8, Why Is October The 10th Month? What Of September? by originalKsp(m): 7:31am On Jun 29, 2017
oldfoolnigger:
lol. see scientific explanation!!!

I didn't read the article thou!!!
It's not too long Baba cheesy
Re: If "Oct" Means 8, Why Is October The 10th Month? What Of September? by Lucario007(m): 7:32am On Jun 29, 2017
Wonderful and educational! Thank you OP, I have learned something new today. It is nice to see that there are some reasonable people on Nairaland posting reasonable things instead of celebrity wedding scandals and boring tales of a jobless kidnapper. smiley

1 Like

Re: If "Oct" Means 8, Why Is October The 10th Month? What Of September? by originalKsp(m): 7:37am On Jun 29, 2017
Lucario007:
Wonderful and educational! Thank you OP, I have learned something new today. It is nice to see that there are some reasonable people on Nairaland posting reasonable things instead of celebrity wedding scandals and boring tales of a jobless kidnapper. smiley

Thanks for the kind words Baba smiley
Re: If "Oct" Means 8, Why Is October The 10th Month? What Of September? by daamazing(m): 8:27am On Jun 29, 2017
Op wehdone. I've learnt something new this week from nl. I doubt our mo.ds will move this to FP..

1 Like

Re: If "Oct" Means 8, Why Is October The 10th Month? What Of September? by IyfeNamikaze(m): 10:29am On Jun 29, 2017
very educative!
this will never make it to front page. but if it's Tonto vs Churchill or Snakes now na fp in 60secs
Re: If "Oct" Means 8, Why Is October The 10th Month? What Of September? by FRANK1216(m): 10:34am On Jun 29, 2017
Welcome in per-view commercial !
Company AhaDengi.club offers you to earn money on watching the ad units and attract referrals.
Through commercial advertising, and we will credit your account 5 rubles (!) For the display of the ad unit.
Attract referrals and get 50% of their earnings on your account
This is the best offer on the market of paid advertising viewing now!
Your income is not particularly limited and depends on the time spent at the computer.
So working an average of 3-5 hours a day, you can get into your account from 1500 to 5000 rubles. and even more!
All earnings are accumulated on the personal account of the employee and shall be paid
on application to the personal account at your bank card or electronic account within 1 hour.
Use the link below to register.
Note: use Chrome to open reason being that it will help for translation of the words.
http://1e6f.ahadengi.club/548199019262/?rstr=884
Re: If "Oct" Means 8, Why Is October The 10th Month? What Of September? by Nutase: 10:43am On Jun 29, 2017
For real
Re: If "Oct" Means 8, Why Is October The 10th Month? What Of September? by RealAdewole(m): 11:49am On Jun 29, 2017
Better than all these Evans news
Re: If "Oct" Means 8, Why Is October The 10th Month? What Of September? by Bahddo(m): 11:52am On Jun 29, 2017
Well said! Exactly what what I was telling someone while arguing why I think it is silly to want to start the new year by being physically present in church. The calendar is a human invention, and there's nothing magical about the day that is chosen as the starting point.

The only reason Jan 1 is the first day of the new year is because a fellow human woke up and said that's how the calendar should be. The Jewish calendar starts around the period that is late March in the Gregorian calendar, and I think the Hijiri calendar starts around July.

Very informative.
Re: If "Oct" Means 8, Why Is October The 10th Month? What Of September? by originalKsp(m): 4:17pm On Jun 29, 2017
Bahddo:
Well said! Exactly what what I was telling someone while arguing why I think it is silly to want to start the new year by being physically present in church. The calendar is a human invention, and there's nothing magical about the day that is chosen as the starting point.

The only reason Jan 1 is the first day of the new year is because a [b]fellow human woke up and said that's how the calendar should be. [/b]The Jewish calendar starts around the period that is late March in the Gregorian calendar, and I think the Hijiri calendar starts around July.

Very informative.

yea some people just came up with Jan 1 as the beginning of the year but since most people do not read history, they get decieved to believing it's a special thing..the speciality is also our own invention.
Re: If "Oct" Means 8, Why Is October The 10th Month? What Of September? by ITbomb(m): 6:53pm On Jun 29, 2017
But sincerely, it makes sense for the year to start in March.

March is the beginning of Spring and in Nigeria it is when the first seed sowed in January comes alive (corn etc)
It marks a fresh beginning
Re: If "Oct" Means 8, Why Is October The 10th Month? What Of September? by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jun 29, 2017
Glad to come across this thread. Nice one op.

(1) (Reply)

Waec Gce Expo For Question And Answers 2017/2018 / M4 Vs. M16: Which Rifle Is The King Of The Hill? / Exxon Mobil Subsidiary (eepnl) International Post-graduate Scholarship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.