Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,861 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:56 AM

Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution - Politics (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution (38851 Views)

BREAKING: OPC Announces New Leader, Oshibote Oodua / YOLICOM To Declare Oodua Republic, Rejects Restructuring / Northern Youths Order Igbo Out Of Region (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (30) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by StOla: 11:30am On Jul 03, 2017
Concerning a future Yoruba/Yoruboid country.

I will suggest a unitary republic where cities and towns have mayors for executive authority, but only one central government without artificial states. there should be no states/towns of origin classification.

People's origin should only be referred to based on where they live or were born, and should be the only franchise qualification for political participation.

Also a presidential political system ensures that both party and candidate have the majority support to assume office, and not a parliamentary case where an unpopular party leader rides on the success of his other popular party mates to assume a national leadership. The former is more expensive but more representative of the wishes of the electorate.

Under no condition must a Yoruba republic allow refugee incursions from the old East and North. Bilateral trade may be established for mutual benefits that proximity affords. But entry of old Nigeria into our new country must be well monitored to ensure due exit.

All trade must be done with a firm national mindset of economic security.

Lastly, corruption must be placed on the pedestal of concern it deserves. Coming from a rotten Nigeria, we would need to exorcise this vice from the national psyche, and promote a conscious work ethic in our youth. Law enforcement must be active and prompt but civil and above board. The Judiciary should be a positive departure from the clowns in cloak we have in the Nigerian courts.

No welfare state condition must be supported, rather government must be ready to help support the enterprise ideas of the citizens.

Lastly everyman should be a king. A country of equals who have same access to education, healthcare, justice, and employment/enterprise.

A country of patriotic citizens, different from a country of bitter victims that Nigeria nurtures.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by forgiveness: 11:36am On Jul 03, 2017
ShangoThor:

For me, this is where you nailed it, and considering this whole idea is a concept which ultimately has to be sold in order to gain traction and wide acceptance is is very necessary to try as much as possible to separate fact from fiction or myth.

There is nothing fictional about creating a Nation-State, this is not a joke whereby some roll out of bed and dream of creating an autonomous independent Nation-State, the main consideration here in buy-in and opt-in by most of the participants. Also as a concept, many other considerations have to be explored such as viability and the marketing for obvious reasons, and I could go on and on.

I would just like to say that this is what I do for a living and I get paid extremely handsomely to actualize concepts.
What you are effectively doing is creating a bone of contention before the idea actually germinates.

Though, I don't agree we name the country Odua Republic, I also have reservations to name it Ife Republic. Both are no no for me.

Omoluabi Republic, Yoruba Republic, Olukumi Republic etc are somehow ok for me.
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by seanet01: 11:39am On Jul 03, 2017
Many people won't agree with Oduduwa Republic while many people will agree to it.
We should subject it to a referendum.

1 Like

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by forgiveness: 11:45am On Jul 03, 2017
deedeedee1:

Thank you jare. I don't know why somebody will include itshekiri with us. It is like they don't know they are ridiculing us by including the minorities. Even if the itshekiri want to join, we will reject them.
I don't want to hear any cry of marginalization when we have our new country. Why then do we plan to leave Nigeria when we will still face the same problems that we faced under her? Let them stay on their own. We don't want them. We don't share same culture. They are closer to Benin and urhobo people.

It seems you don't know Itshekiris are always in every meeting organized by Afenifere. In fact, they are bona-fide member of this organization.

Even, OPC dey warri on the request of Olu of Warri.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by SuperS1Panther: 11:46am On Jul 03, 2017
We cannot be totally homogenous. We have contiguous ethnicities we have interacted with for centuries and mingled for years.

The Nupes, The Eguns, and even the Igbiras or Ebiras. Spome even bear full yoruba names as First Middle and Last names. IT is extremely difficult to take them out of the Republic. Loyalty and patriotism to the nation is fundamental and not negotiable.

People should take time to read Awolowo's book on how he was sent to prison and we should be wary of parliamentary system. Every mistake in the constitution that the North and East fully exploited to connived against Awolowo must be blocked.

My major headache is -- what do we do with the issue of Ilorin (mind y word -- not Kwara).

1 Like

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by SuperS1Panther: 11:48am On Jul 03, 2017
forgiveness:

It seems you don't know Itshekiris are always in every meeting organized by Afenifere. In fact, they are bona-fide member of this organization.

Even, OPC dey warri on the request of Olu of Warri.

Yeah I can remember the invitation of OPC to Warri about 5years ago. Ganiyu Adams was in Warri ad the Ijaws vehemently kicked against it.

OPCNairaland, is an active member of OPC and he gave the perspective that led to it then.

Itshekiris know that they are better protected being with Yorubas than even being in ND Republic, where they can easily be exterminated by their enemies.
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by StOla: 11:49am On Jul 03, 2017
Omofunaab2:

I agree that i was wrong by inferring that the Eguns are ancestrally from a country that was not in existence then

But I think it's safe to say the Eguns in Nigeria can trace their origin to present day Benin republic.. While the yorubas indigenous to Benin Republic can also trace their origin to present day Nigeria?

The text in bold is true. If you consider where the bulk resides or where history confirms as their cultural source. In the case of Borgu kingdom, my criteria above is split between the Borgu of Nigeria and Borgu of Benin. The bulk of the kingdom is in Benin, while the cultural source is in Nigeria.

My own argument is if you maintain that the Eguns are ancestrally from Dahomey/Benin Republic, then you would have to accept that Badagry and Ipokia are ancestrally Benin Republic towns, which is not true.

I will only agree that yorubaland includes part of Benin and Togo, while Egun land includes part of Nigeria. The countries remain artificial and volatile, while the tribe and its land claims, culture and heritage will forever remain as the tribe remains.

1 Like

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by OJUcrook: 11:52am On Jul 03, 2017
Going foward, the Immigration and Citizenship issue would be a very tough nut to crack; a moot point. I agree with those who suggest that the Yoruba borders needs to be tightened, the immigration laws needs to be robust, the visa/citizenship application needs to be very strict.

Selfishly, or would I say personally, I wonder what would be the fate of people like us who identify ourselves more as Yoruba than our own ethnic group.

2 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by forgiveness: 11:55am On Jul 03, 2017
deedeedee1:

Excellent contribution! The Yorubas in Benin and Togo speak Yoruba language and even look up to us here in Nigeria. I dont know why the ones in Nigeria don't really focus on them. I guess their obsession with "one nigeria" is the cause. There are "Nigerian yorubas" that dont even know that yoruba language is spoken by many in Benin and Togo
This is the map of Yorubaland in Benin republic and Togo.

Yoruba land big ooooooo. I heard the Togo side of the land is very beautiful but make dem forget those sides first until the main region is formed. If it succeeds, success they say has many friends. grin

5 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by StOla: 11:55am On Jul 03, 2017
SuperS1Panther:
We cannot be totally homogenous. We have contiguous ethnicities we have interacted with for centuries and mingled for years.

The Nupes, The Eguns, and even the Igbiras or Ebiras. Spome even bear full yoruba names as First Middle and Last names. IT is extremely difficult to take them out of the Republic. Loyalty and patriotism to the nation is fundamental and not negotiable.

People should take time to read Awolowo's book on how he was sent to prison and we should be wary of parliamentary system. Every mistake in the constitution that the North and East fully exploited to connived against Awolowo must be blocked.

My major headache is -- what do we do with the issue of Ilorin (mind y word -- not Kwara).

Ilorin is not an issue. It is Yoruba land, and the yorubas there would have to do away with their Emir title that the yorubanised descendants of the expansionist Alimi hold on to.

The problem of the Yorubas there is the Islam that binds them to the Fulani minority. Even the descendants of Alimi all speak Yoruba and have Yoruba names to claim some legitimacy.

2 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by forgiveness: 11:59am On Jul 03, 2017
SuperS1Panther:

Yeah I can remember the invitation of OPC to Warri about 5years ago. Ganiyu Adams was in Warri ad the Ijaws vehemently kicked against it.

OPCNairaland, is an active member of OPC and he gave the perspective that led to it then.

Itshekiris know that they are better protected being with Yorubas than even being in ND Republic, where they can easily be exterminated by their enemies.

OPC dey warri upon the bragado of the Ijaws.

As you rightly said in the last paragraph, if they join ND, it's suicide. Urhobo and Ijaws will send them to extinction. They are pretty well aware hence their coalition with Afenifere and OPC.
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Olu317(m): 12:00pm On Jul 03, 2017
AshiwajuFoward:

There's only ONE particular ethnic group that I feel we must actively be wary of. No other ethnic group has insulted us more or shown as much contempt towards us in our own space/land than them. You welcome them and sell land to them in a spirit of openness and they turn back around and throw it in your face that you are 'lazy', that you owe your very existence to them, and that just coz you sold land to them they have every right to insult you and insult your culture and way of life. I think the rest can be reasoned with and accommodated coz even now they don't drag with us or disrespect us in our land. That's just my opinion.
That is the blunder most of us Yoruba make. These other people that we helped shape their lives are not worth been engaged because they are ALL LESSEE UNDER THE LESSOR. Let them continue to make mockery of themselves, wherever they have acquired land. They remain PERMANENT TENANTS ON YORUBA LAND. So, why worry yourself when you know accurately that these people only boast but and bark like a dog that can't go near the DEN OF A LION. Feel the feeling of a princely blood in you always because Our ancestors are divine beings.

1 Like

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by SuperS1Panther: 12:01pm On Jul 03, 2017
StOla:

Ilorin is not an issue. It is Yoruba land, and the yorubas there would have to do away with their Emir title that the yorubanised descendants of the expansionist Alimi hold on to.

The problem of the Yorubas there is the Islam that binds them to the Fulani minority. Even the descendants of Alimi all speak Yoruba and have Yoruba names to claim some legitimacy.

You are absolutely right.

The Alimi descendants will either relocate back to Fouta Jallon or renounce their lineage and an Oba must be installed alongside the Emir.

1 Like

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Olu317(m): 12:04pm On Jul 03, 2017
forgiveness:

OPC dey warri upon the bragado of the Ijaws.

As you rightly said in the last paragraph, if they join ND, it's suicide. Urhobo and Ijaws will send them to extinction. They are pretty well aware hence their coalition with Afenifere and OPC.
Are you sure OPC are in Warri?
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by omohayek: 12:04pm On Jul 03, 2017
forgiveness:

Yoruba land big ooooooo. I heard the Togo side of the land is very beautiful but make dem forget those sides first until the main region is formed. If it succeeds, success they say has many friends. grin
Very wise words. The last thing a new state will need is to become embroiled in border disputes with its neighbors, when it should be devoting all of its energy to economic development. Better to have in the beginning a smaller but unified state, with the peace required to concentrate on the economy, than a geographically larger state plagued with instability and economic stagnation.

You can be sure that even if only the "core" SW states were to break off, but they were managing 11-12% annual GDP growth over a decade, the "Fulani" parts of Kwara, the Yoruba groups as far afield as Togo, and the Yoruba-affiliated groups like the Itsekiri, would have absolutely no problem with wanting to join up with such a state. If anything, the problem then would be keeping out all the unrelated groups suddenly inventing reasons for why they actually deserve to be regarded as Yoruba-derived.

Rapid economic growth absolutely has to be the top priority, above everything else. Military power, diplomatic recognition, cultural influence, all derive in the end from economic strength.

9 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jul 03, 2017
forgiveness:

Bros i could not make it to abia, i am sure you were there. I really hope to make it at Ikorodu next month. How is the preparation going, has the registration started?
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Olu317(m): 12:06pm On Jul 03, 2017
SuperS1Panther:

You are absolutely right.

The Alimi descendants will either relocate back to Fouta Jallon or renounce their lineage and an Oba must be installed alongside the Emir.
Alimi was not foutah Jallon. Verify his history. The man was from Mahli.
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by jiangchu: 12:09pm On Jul 03, 2017
OJUcrook:
Going foward, the Immigration and Citizenship issue would be a very tough nut to crack; a moot point. I agree with those who suggest that the Yoruba borders needs to be tightened, the immigration laws needs to be robust, the visa/citiezenship application needs to be very strict.

Selfishlly, or would I say personally, I wonder what would be the fate of people like us who identify ourselves more as Yoruba than our own ethnic group.

which tribe are you from.
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by SuperS1Panther: 12:10pm On Jul 03, 2017
Olu317:
Alimi was not foutah Jallon. Verify his history. The man was from Mahli.

Yeah you are right.

He was part of the refugees fleeing from the killing machines from Fouta Jallon.

1 Like

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by forgiveness: 12:10pm On Jul 03, 2017
lakhadimar:
Bros i could not make it to abia, i am sure you were there. I really hope to make it at Ikorodu next month. How is the preparation going, has the registration started?

I see. Preparation is very smooth. August 13th - 17th has been fixed for the program. Venue is at kiths and Kins secondary school, Ibeshe, Ikorodu Lagos. Fee na 3k. Registration is on. You can call 08029596025.

1 Like

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by forgiveness: 12:14pm On Jul 03, 2017
Olu317:
Are you sure OPC are in Warri?

I heard about their operations in Warri during the era of Goodluck Jonathan but as at now OPC seems to be weak in the west.

Now, I can't confirm.
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by jiangchu: 12:16pm On Jul 03, 2017
omohayek:

Very wise words. The last thing a new state will need is to become embroiled in border disputes with its neighbors, when it should be devoting all of its energy to economic development. Better to have in the beginning a smaller but unified state, with the peace required to concentrate on the economy, than a geographically larger state plagued with instability and economic stagnation.

You can be sure that even if only the "core" SW states were to break off, but they were managing 11-12% annual GDP growth over a decade, the "Fulani" parts of Kwara, the Yoruba groups as far afield as Togo, and the Yoruba-affiliated groups like the Itsekiri, would have absolutely no problem with wanting to join up with such a state. If anything, the problem then would be keeping out all the unrelated groups suddenly inventing reasons for why they actually deserve to be regarded as Yoruba-derived.

Rapid economic growth absolutely has to be the top priority, above everything else. Military power, diplomatic recognition, cultural influence, all derive in the end from economic strength.

we have the resources to fight on all front. we have the legal luminnaires that can help win border dispute. and we can be building a robust economy on stable ground. YES it is possible.
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by SuperS1Panther: 12:19pm On Jul 03, 2017

1 Like

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by omohayek: 12:22pm On Jul 03, 2017
jiangchu:

we have the resources to fight on all front. we have the legal luminnaires that can help win border dispute. and we can be building a robust economy on stable ground. YES it is possible.
The question isn't whether it is possible or not, but whether it is wise. How many of us would rather live in a big-for-nothing state like Russia, instead of a small but highly prosperous state like South Korea? Shouldn't the point of a state be to build a better life for its citizens?

Size isn't everything, and there's no point breaking away from Nigeria only to repeat the same old Nigerian mistakes. What is the point of getting into energy-sapping disputes over things that can be settled in the long-term by simply being successful?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jul 03, 2017
forgiveness:

I don't think he is referring to the whole Edos and Deltas.

There are some communities in these areas that identifies themselves as Omoluabi. This can't be ignored.

It's not as if they have any form of mineral resources to contribute to the economy but they must be considered first then if they refuse, no wahala. But so far, I don't think they have refused.

I think those who are denouncing are ignorant about this Yorubas being indigenous to these states.

Besides, I know Itshekiris are also part of Afenifere group. They might likely join else they know now.

Edo and Delta are part of the same familly which excludes you. We will never join you, deal with it. Itsekeri are Edo not yoruba. I know you want to claim them not because you love them but because you want their oil wealth. The worse thing that would happen to my Itsekeri brothers would be them joining the "yoruba" into a make-shift country. The first thing the "yorubas" would try to do is a genocide to wipe the itsekeri out of their land Warri and claim their oil.
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Dalek(m): 12:27pm On Jul 03, 2017
omohayek:

I think a lot of the negative sentiment on here is just a reaction to the relentless insults and accusations that have been coming from certain quarters, not a real indication of how people would feel under calmer circumstances. The fact is that a universal scheme of deportation is simply unworkable, as

* The Yoruba electorate wouldn't stand for it, not if it affected their own relatives and close friends - and vast numbers of Yoruba people would have at least a few such acquaintances.
* It would be extremely damaging to external relations. Western nations wouldn't find it so easy to lend the new state their support if it were made to look like a chauvinistic, xenophobic place in their publics' eyes, and the backing of powers like the USA, the UK, France and Germany is still extremely valuable, especially when it comes to weapons and military training.
* It would severely discourage FDI, which will be needed in quantities far greater than Nigeria has ever had, if the state is to be a productive, export-oriented place, rather than yet another struggling African state dependent on subsistence agriculture and resource extraction.

Hard-headed, pragmatic reasoning therefore suggests that as much as some people might wish otherwise, no blanket policy of expulsion could be implemented without severe blowback. As I mentioned earlier, there are subtler ways of achieving the intended effects without pretending that all foreigners are equally (un)desirable.

well said, we Yorubas have always believed in "surulere". it is what made us a successful lot. fine we may over do the suru too much.
Qatar has an indigene 300k while migrant workers of over 2 million. As a Yoruba nation a simple laid down rules for dealing with this minorities and non indigenes would help alot for us.
i believe we need to give dem a fair deal, after all it was Nigeria dem made dem come to our land, we can't give a bad child to a Lion.

1 Like

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Olu317(m): 12:31pm On Jul 03, 2017
SuperS1Panther:

Yeah you are right.

He was part of the refugees fleeing from the killing machines from Fouta Jallon.
The problem with Abdul Kadri, Alimi's son was that he was brainwash when he went to learn Quranic knowledge under the Sultanate at the North. He was a half Yoruba(his mother) and half Mahlian. This was an easy ride for him because of his Yoruba link. And from this, Afonja was rebelled against. And it done on the refugee citizens that a warrior like Afonja couldn't be killed but he was killed . Thereafter, they Ilorin was temporary lost until other Yoruba in Ilorin discovered, it was not true that God sent Alimi's descendants because JUJU(VOODO) they condemn, was used against them and they were defeated in 1840.That was the end of them. Oyo was collecting tributes from them after that because some of their major warriors captured by combination of Ibadan warriors and other Yorubas.As far as Ilorin is concerned, it is Yoruba land Nigeria is what gave the Alimi's descendants an edge. However, we don't hate them but they must follow the rules and regulations of Yoruba land. Let me critically emphasise here, that there is no iota of doubt that few Ilorin apologists exist here and Alimi's descendants. It is noteworthy that we all can live in peace and harmony with ourselves but the anomalies need be corrected in Ilorin.

1 Like

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by forgiveness: 12:32pm On Jul 03, 2017
omohayek:

I agree with your first and second paragraph but the last paragraph is what brought an end to the Oyo empire. The quest for economic growth over military strength.

I think if we are dreaming of becoming a world power, we must invest in the military else we will be vulnerable to our neighbors on the west, East and North.

Besides, what can bring a unified Omoluabi together is common enemy. Without this forget unity in Omoluabi land.

Therefore, I will advise we fight for all the lands in Nigeria, especially those who have identified with the state first, then after we are stable, move to recover the ones from Benin and Togo (if they want oooo).

3 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Dalek(m): 12:33pm On Jul 03, 2017
seanet01:
Many people won't agree with Oduduwa Republic while many people will agree to it.
We should subject it to a referendum.

i for one dont support Oduduwa republic, Western Republic of Nigeria or Republic of Western Nigeria
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jul 03, 2017
forgiveness:

I agree with your first and second paragraph but the last paragraph is what brought an end to the Oyo empire.
"oyo empire" never existed, oyo kingdom was one small and new kingdom of mid 19th century and it was being overran by fulla.
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by deedeedeee2: 12:37pm On Jul 03, 2017
7lives
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by omohayek: 12:39pm On Jul 03, 2017
forgiveness:

I agree with your first and second paragraph but the last paragraph is what brought an end to the Oyo empire. The quest for economic growth over military strength.

I think if we are dreaming of becoming a world power, we must invest in the military else we will be vulnerable to our neighbors on the west, East and North.

Besides, what can bring a unified Omoluabi together is common enemy. Without this forget unity in Omoluabi land.

Therefore, I will advise we fight for all the lands in Nigeria, especially those who have identified with the state first, then after we are stable, move to recover the ones from Benin and Togo (if they want oooo).
Sorry, but here I think you are completely wrong, and frankly, your method would be the surest possible way to lose any hope of getting widespread support for a Yoruba-majority state. I want to be part of an Athens, not a Sparta, and I'm sure most Yoruba people would feel the same way.

Emphasizing militarism over economic growth is not only bad for economic development, it is also bad in the long-run for military strength, as you can't have a strong military without a strong economy to back it - just ask the Soviet Union. Planes, tanks, submarines, aircraft carriers and the like all require either a strong domestic industrial base, or the wealth to buy the best from abroad (and hope that your suppliers don't someday decide to stop selling to you).

As for your belief that it requires an external wartime enemy to unify Yoruba people, I can only say that I don't share your pessimistic view of the matter, and think people need to be given a positive reason to want a nation of their own, rather than simply being motivated by fear and hate - which is the model currently being followed by a certain Nigerian movement I won't dignify with a mention. If a movement can't give its intended audience good reasons to love the state its advocating for, then such a movement simply doesn't deserve to succeed.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (30) (Reply)

Man Killed By Suspected Bandits In Imo After Returning To The Village / Photos: INEC Official Caught With Thumb-Printed Ballot Papers In Ajeromi / Ndigbo Elders Meet With Buhari In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.