Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,885 members, 7,802,859 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:34 PM

My First Night Experience With Thieves In My Hostel. - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / My First Night Experience With Thieves In My Hostel. (2431 Views)

EFCC Arrests 58 Oil Thieves In Port Harcourt (photos) / See What Is Left Of A Toyota Corolla Vandalized By Car Thieves In Broad Daylight / Man's Intestines Ripped Out After Being Stabbed By Thieves In Bauchi.Graphic Pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My First Night Experience With Thieves In My Hostel. by Bbsharon(f): 2:13pm On Jun 30, 2017
 It was a cold and chilly night as it was about to rain Friday 14th of April, 2017. Good friday to be precise. Exam had just finished and most people have their bags packed ready to go home. Mine too was packed and I was meant to go home that day as I was done with exams the previous day but stayed back because I had something to resolve before leaving for home.

I stay off campus and the security there cannot be compared to staying on the campus as we are left with a fragile looking young man at our gate who poses as the security we supposedly have. My roomate, a girl from the next room and I sat outside at the entrance of the door gisting and talking about how we missed home and could not wait to leave in the morning. The electricity supply was off, few minutes later the light was restored and we closed the door and hurried inside. It was few minutes past 10pm and the roads were quiet already as it's the usual in the city of Ile-Ife especially when it is about to rain. The shops closes early and the commercial bus and bikes all pack up for the day too with only few left working.

The rain started with full force accompanied with frightening lightning and thunder sounds, as usual power was siezed immediately. We put on the lamp while I played some songs from my pnone. Not longer than 10 minutes of entering inside we heard a noisy bang on the door and we thought it was our playful neighbour who would always bang on our door jokingly as a way of greeting, we laughed about it and continued talking.

Not untill we heard someone scream at the passage as if being slapped or so, at first we were not sure of what it was not untill it occured to me that was our neighbour's voice as he made some sstruggling sound, we quickly switched off the lamps and phones and lay down quietly, that moment we knew something was wrong but was not sure yet. With fear we stayed quiet as the noise continued and then our door was being banged again, we were too afraid and decided not to open. The window was hit forcefully breaking the luvas then they tore the net and pointed a gun inside the room to come open the door.

At this point we need no explanation that they were thieves, we were so scared that I ran to hide in the wardrobe while my roomate had to go open the door. They barged in pushing my roomate aside asking

" how many una dey for this room ? " my roomate answered three and they could see just two people, at that moment I almost peeied on my body inside the wardrobe, I quickly put my phone on silence and sent a message to my class group page of what was happening and how we neeeded help either from school security or the police.

" where the third person dey ?"

"She dey inside wardrobe"

my roomate answered in a shaky voice, in swift motion I quickly jumped down from the wardrobe trembling, the guy tried hiting me while I dodged. They demanded for our phones and laptops and even money I wonder what kind of manner they expected to get from student, one even asked where was the jewellery my fiancee gave me I had to beg him that I don't have any with tears in my eyes.

We gave them our phones and the little money we had with us to go home the next day. When they were done getting and picking all what they could they left and proceeded to robbing other rooms consecutively, then we heard a gunshot and screamed thinking they had killed someone or so. Some minutes later we heard a police siren from afar, the police officers came later on when the thieves had gone shouting we should come and open the gate for them, some guys in the hostel summon up courage to go open for them and there they saw the security guy tied up and Injured seriously on the head.

We later learnt the guys were in a lady's room who stays alone and one of them wanted to rape her against the other one's opinion which led to an arguement and he shot his colleague on the leg with his bones and blood scattering all over the girl's room, realising they were working against themselves they left and also on hearing the police siren from afar. It was a terrible night for us as we could no longer sleep that night as we were still scared and also answering police questions and allowing. The next day I left for home as fast as I could. Few days later I heard from home the guy that was shot had been caught and after few weeks they said he has escaped and they could not get any information from him, it was so frustrating and annoying to hear such from the police. Till today none of them have been caught.

Lalasticlala seun mynd44

http://www.demitalks.com/2017/06/my-first-and-horrible-experience-with.html?m=1

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My First Night Experience With Thieves In My Hostel. by Bbsharon(f): 2:16pm On Jun 30, 2017
Many at times we all speak up against barbaric and callous acts such as mob burning of thieves, street smugglers and petty thives caught in the act in piblic places. We often look and ask ourselves or any other assumed reasonable person close to us how could this perpetrators of such evil act be that heartless and inhumane in nature to burn a fellow human being alive.

On the basis of law these should not be as this means the mob have decided to take law into their hands without proper justification of the victims involved, but in a country like Nigeria where citizens are at most times left at their own mercy without prior interest of legal authorities involved and even when they get involved we often see a not too balanced and proper way of situations being handled.

In a case whereby a thief is caught and handed over to the proper authorities that is the police for proper measure of the punishment for such heinous crime and only for such thief to be released few days later to continue terrorizing such communities is appalling to say the least.

The question therefore is what happened at the station...was there a reinforcement of activities or a kind of inclined motives been encourgaed to continue in such act. One would assume if proper discipline and judgement had taken place then they should be a change but it's not so in many cases. The mob you see lynching this thives being caught do so because firstly they have no absolute or no trust at all in the law enforcers, they have been led down by their promise to protect several times, they have continue to be victims at the hands of this merciless individuals times without number, they are living in such fear of the unkown and have decided to mend justice as it suits them.

Do we now say the mobs are right and should be left to do as they wish and at their will with thieves being caught ? No. That will create a lawless and absurd society, where everyone see it as their indivudual right to take laws into their hands without due consequences. This should not be and not even considered at all in the first place if the proper authorities are doing doing what they ought to do.

The perpetrators of these evil act feel they are at liberty to hurt people, demanding for their possesions without mercy even to the point of death. They spew out threats leaving their victims pleaing and trembling for their lives to be spared at least. This hardened fellows would not listen no matter how hard you beg, they must have their way at their own detirement. This was my first time of being in such horrible situation. Have you ever been in a situation whereby you feel numb and helpless most of the time, you are not sure if it's your emotions failing you or you are just not being fair with yourselves.

That was such situations I was in after the incident, they appear to be a sense of voidness happening to me when I think about how it all happened and why this guys did what they had done.

Lalasticlala plesse see this.
Re: My First Night Experience With Thieves In My Hostel. by BiafraBushBoy(m): 2:18pm On Jun 30, 2017
It's too long to read...

Testimonies are meant to be short and precise!!

It's your type that makes a pastor to continue shouting "Sister please go straight to the point" sad

2 Likes

Re: My First Night Experience With Thieves In My Hostel. by anonymuz(m): 2:21pm On Jun 30, 2017
Which school did it happened?
Re: My First Night Experience With Thieves In My Hostel. by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jun 30, 2017
Police collected bribe from the thief and lied that he had escaped. That's why I don't blame people who takes laws into their hands and administer jungle justice on the thieves.
Re: My First Night Experience With Thieves In My Hostel. by DokitaDave(m): 4:08pm On Jun 30, 2017
I am sorry about your awful experience and more importantly, thank God you weren't hurt yourself.

A student of Obafemi Awolowo University right? The occurrence of thieves raiding students who reside off campus is a tradition in Ife environs and sadly, the Police hasn't been able to work out any solution. This reminds me of the report of how Evans was initially arrested as an armed robber, only to be released few days after by the Police. He later transformed to a bigger terror.

I have not been robbed at gun point before but I have had my properties stolen in school (including a brand new phone I bought that was stolen overnight, just less than 12 hours after purchase).

I appreciate the fact that you still stand for the right thing - mob action and jungle justice is not right and cannot be justified no matter what.

The problem here is with our systems. Both the law enforcement bodies and our judicial system are faulty. All of these things are issues I sincerely had my hopes high that the promised change of this present government would address upon assumption but here we are today, nothing has changed for better. We are sincerely in a pathetic state but I won't say the country has no hope anymore.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My First Night Experience With Thieves In My Hostel. by Bbsharon(f): 8:43pm On Jun 30, 2017
anonymuz:
Which school did it happened?

Not in the school hostel, I'm a student of OAU.
Re: My First Night Experience With Thieves In My Hostel. by Bbsharon(f): 8:43pm On Jun 30, 2017
lofty900:
Police collected bribe from the thief and lied that he had escaped. That's why I don't blame people who takes laws into their hands and administer jungle justice on the thieves.

Probably...and that's so pathetic.
Re: My First Night Experience With Thieves In My Hostel. by Bbsharon(f): 8:48pm On Jun 30, 2017
DokitaDave:
I am sorry about your awful experience and more importantly, thank God you weren't hurt yourself.

A student of Obafemi Awolowo University right? The occurrence of thieves raiding students who reside off campus is a tradition in Ife environs and sadly, the Police hasn't been able to work out any solution. This reminds me of the report of how Evans was initially arrested as an armed robber, only to be released few days after by the Police. He later transformed to a bigger terror.

I have not been robbed at gun point before but I have had my properties stolen in school (including a brand new phone I bought that was stolen overnight, just less than 12 hours after purchase).

I appreciate the fact that you still stand for the right thing - mob action and jungle justice is not right and cannot be justified no matter what.

The problem here is with our systems. Both the law enforcement bodies and our judicial system are faulty. All of these things are issues I sincerely had my hopes high that the promised change of this present government would address upon assumption but here we are today, nothing has changed for better. We are sincerely in a pathetic state but I won't say the country has no hope anymore.

Yes, OAU. The police have never been helpful in any of the cases of theft that has been occuring overtime. I really do not know why ans that's so sad to always think we are at our own mercy whenever a robbery incident occurs.

You still talk about change ? Or the promised change? I thought everyone now knows it was all a scam all along.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My First Night Experience With Thieves In My Hostel. by DokitaDave(m): 3:23am On Jul 01, 2017
Bbsharon:

Yes, OAU. The police have never been helpful in any of the cases of theft that has been occuring overtime. I really do not know why ans that's so sad to always think we are at our own mercy whenever a robbery incident occurs.

You still talk about change ? Or the promised change? I thought everyone now knows it was all a scam all along.
Well, to be honest, I don't think this government is sincere about whatever change it promised, especially before the leadership assumed power. You are very right, it was scam all along. cry cry

...as it stands, Nigeria comfortably sits on a keg of gun powder and this is suicide for the country. But is there truly no way out of this mess at all?

Please, I don't think we should say 2019 is around one corner because 2015 was around that same corner some years back. sad

1 Like

Re: My First Night Experience With Thieves In My Hostel. by ameri9ja: 6:02am On Jul 01, 2017
Sorry o

2 Likes

Re: My First Night Experience With Thieves In My Hostel. by DebbyChris(f): 10:00pm On Jul 10, 2017
Sorry, thank God u weren't hurt.

2 Likes

Re: My First Night Experience With Thieves In My Hostel. by praise1705(f): 11:45am On Jul 11, 2017
That's why you see a thief smiling and happy when he/she sees police coming to pick them up wen they are beaten by the mob

1 Like

Re: My First Night Experience With Thieves In My Hostel. by dochenaj: 1:01am On Jun 25, 2018
Nigerian police are masters in extra judicial killings.
Not all the escaped criminals really escaped, most of them have been killed and buried in shallow graves by police.
Re: My First Night Experience With Thieves In My Hostel. by PrincessB1(f): 12:01pm On Jun 25, 2018
I doubt if that criminal really escaped undecided

O.P, Thank God for your safety.

1 Like

Re: My First Night Experience With Thieves In My Hostel. by Konquest: 3:56pm On Feb 12, 2019
Bbsharon:
 It was a cold and chilly night as it was about to rain Friday 14th of April, 2017. Good friday to be precise. Exam had just finished and most people have their bags packed ready to go home. Mine too was packed and I was meant to go home that day as I was done with exams the previous day but stayed back because I had something to resolve before leaving for home.

I stay off campus and the security there cannot be compared to staying on the campus as we are left with a fragile looking young man at our gate who poses as the security we supposedly have. My roomate, a girl from the next room and I sat outside at the entrance of the door gisting and talking about how we missed home and could not wait to leave in the morning. The electricity supply was off, few minutes later the light was restored and we closed the door and hurried inside. It was few minutes past 10pm and the roads were quiet already as it's the usual in the city of Ile-Ife especially when it is about to rain. The shops closes early and the commercial bus and bikes all pack up for the day too with only few left working.

The rain started with full force accompanied with frightening lightning and thunder sounds, as usual power was siezed immediately. We put on the lamp while I played some songs from my pnone. Not longer than 10 minutes of entering inside we heard a noisy bang on the door and we thought it was our playful neighbour who would always bang on our door jokingly as a way of greeting, we laughed about it and continued talking.

Not untill we heard someone scream at the passage as if being slapped or so, at first we were not sure of what it was not untill it occured to me that was our neighbour's voice as he made some sstruggling sound, we quickly switched off the lamps and phones and lay down quietly, that moment we knew something was wrong but was not sure yet. With fear we stayed quiet as the noise continued and then our door was being banged again, we were too afraid and decided not to open. The window was hit forcefully breaking the luvas then they tore the net and pointed a gun inside the room to come open the door.

At this point we need no explanation that they were thieves, we were so scared that I ran to hide in the wardrobe while my roomate had to go open the door. They barged in pushing my roomate aside asking

" how many una dey for this room ? " my roomate answered three and they could see just two people, at that moment I almost peeied on my body inside the wardrobe, I quickly put my phone on silence and sent a message to my class group page of what was happening and how we neeeded help either from school security or the police.

" where the third person dey ?"

"She dey inside wardrobe"

My roomate answered in a shaky voice, in swift motion I quickly jumped down from the wardrobe trembling, the guy tried hiting me while I dodged. They demanded for our phones and laptops and even money I wonder what kind of manner they expected to get from student, one even asked where was the jewellery my fiancee gave me I had to beg him that I don't have any with tears in my eyes.

We gave them our phones and the little money we had with us to go home the next day. When they were done getting and picking all what they could they left and proceeded to robbing other rooms consecutively, then we heard a gunshot and screamed thinking they had killed someone or so. Some minutes later we heard a police siren from afar, the police officers came later on when the thieves had gone shouting we should come and open the gate for them, some guys in the hostel summon up courage to go open for them and there they saw the security guy tied up and Injured seriously on the head.

We later learnt the guys were in a lady's room who stays alone and one of them wanted to rape her against the other one's opinion which led to an arguement and he shot his colleague on the leg with his bones and blood scattering all over the girl's room, realising they were working against themselves they left and also on hearing the police siren from afar. It was a terrible night for us as we could no longer sleep that night as we were still scared and also answering police questions and allowing. The next day I left for home as fast as I could. Few days later I heard from home the guy that was shot had been caught and after few weeks they said he has escaped and they could not get any information from him, it was so frustrating and annoying to hear such from the police. Till today none of them have been caught.

^^^^^
^^^^^
Gosh!... this took place in 2017 while you were
an undergraduate? There are still lessons to be learned
even as of 2019.

I felt a gut-wrenching, slight chill right up my spine while
reading your experience... leading right up to how one of
the robbers turned his gun on his partner in crime!

I'm glad you ladies were not brutally sexually assaulted
by those sick armed robbers who could easily have passed on
sexually transmitted diseases.

Some women/ladies are still suffering from the psychological
trauma of being raped by armed robbers in front of their
husbands and male relatives - leading to the breakup of the
marriages because men naturally find this scenario very difficult
to deal with.

This is the reason why I have invested in good portable tasers
and other portable security gadgets to avoid this kind of
scenario... via self-defence. I'm waiting to zap the living-day-lights
out of any criminal that dares me.
grin

"Stun Guns vs. TASERs - Important Differences"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmCtrJ9mKUE[5:06]
Dec 5, 2016 - Uploaded by Stun & Run Self Defense

"Taser vs Pepper Spray | Self Defense Weapons Tested![WARNING]"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-WDSFNFilc[10:12]
Jul 6, 2017 - Uploaded by Potato Jet

Staying off-campus can be very risky as well if you stay in
a place that is not very secure... I read that LAUTECH female
students have been raped off campus just like this.

There was a time when rape was very common on the UNILAG
campus but I learned it has been eradicated as of now based on
the active support of the previous VCs.
Re: My First Night Experience With Thieves In My Hostel. by Konquest: 4:29pm On Feb 12, 2019
dochenaj:
Nigerian police are masters in extra judicial killings.
Not all the escaped criminals really escaped, most of them have been killed and buried in
shallow graves by police.
^^^^^
^^^^^
grin ... in shallow graves?! You folks distrust the police so much
in Nigeria

(1) (Reply)

(Scam Alert)Avoid this fuel station if you live around this axis / Elephants Chase Indigenes Paparazzing In Ijebu Waterside, Ogun State / Nigerian Police Man Caught Wrapping Weed To Get High In A Police Van

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.