Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,860 members, 7,802,757 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:53 PM

Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire (56395 Views)

Meet Nigeria’s First Millionaire Candido Da Rocha Who Did Sent His Clothes To Br / Meet Nigeria’s First Millionaire Candido Da Rocha Who Did Sent His Clothes To Br / JOAO DA ROCHA. Nigeria First Millionaire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by oglalasioux(m): 1:10am On Jul 01, 2017
Thanks, OP. Never heard of this before.

1 Like

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by mdfash(m): 2:08am On Jul 01, 2017
Very enriching stuff. I grew up at Ebute-Ero in the sixties and "Da Rocha" was a household name. It's great hearing the story behind the name. Thanks for sharing. That's why I check in to Nairaland everyday
Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by caye(m): 5:12am On Jul 01, 2017
GoodMuyis:

next Time pronoounce it in Nigeria language
Da Rosa
I have to use S-factor before I could recall that name
Is uncle B on nairaland too? How is Trumpistan?
Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by WORLDPEACE(m): 7:16am On Jul 01, 2017
Ziinno:

Well, I see why it's inconceivable to you that a person wouldn't want to be a politician.

It's not inconceivable to me that a person would not want to be a politician. I KNOW everyone does not want to be a politician.
Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by whizzler: 7:54am On Jul 01, 2017
Blackfire:
More reason we should be humble when we are rich.... Many had it before us..
I tell u and look at the humility from the story. Look also at his election campaign. invariably saying VOTE ME IF U THINK AM WORTHY, not today Nigerians vote those that deceive them!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by whizzler: 7:58am On Jul 01, 2017
eitsei:
we need history back in our curriculum
We are almost lost as a people
Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by whizzler: 8:20am On Jul 01, 2017
WORLDPEACE:

People who say what they mean always lose elections. He was a smart entrepreneur but a foolish politician.
When u know Ur worth and also know what u are bringing to the table u don't force urself on people With Irredeemable promises its better to allow them choose u based on their convictions of Ur antecedents

1 Like

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by freeDR(m): 3:34pm On Jul 01, 2017
Impressive!
Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by nnokwa042(m): 9:07pm On Jul 01, 2017
StOla:

Very insecure Igbo.

You hear the tales of a Da Rocha who was born into wealth and also created wealth before Sir Louis Ojukwu, and you begin to doubt the authenticity of the story.

I repeat, that you in the Eastern jungles of Nigeria knew of Louis Ojukwu as the 1st millionaire, confirms that you existed in the ignorant isolation only a jungle can provide. As such, you are not expected to know what had been existing and common place in the colony of Lagos and Western Nigeria where many of the educated Yoruba even had to work with their engineering doctorate degree under English men with only bachelor's degree in the colonial service.

Do you know how many generations of Yoruba doctors and lawyers and engineers and millionaires existed in the West and Lagos before the Eastern jungle produced it's own first?
If you fortunately stumble on such revealing history, you would also call it rooster and bull story.

Da Rocha and Ojukwu senior are a generation apart. While Da Rocha was giving away money anyhow, Ojukwu senior was still struggling to suckle his mother's breast.

The sun may rise in the East, but civilization emerged from the West.
I wonder if not Lagos how Western states will still look like till today,thank God u said u people met white people first and white people transferred thier technology to Yoruba's no wonder Yoruba's re the investors of car plane fax machine telephone computer train ship bicycle ,no wonder Yoruba's are competing with likes of Germans Japanese Italians or Chinese in today's technology and Ekiti state is silicon valley of Nigeria ,ka chineke Mezie okwu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by googi: 11:38pm On Jul 01, 2017
It is interesting how history can disappear if not told to new generation.

It is true that Pa Sir Ojukwu was one of the first millionaire but not the only one in Lagos.

There were Otunba Payne, Docemu a trader and importer on Docemu Streeet, Ajao was very popular as rags to riches from the West and the biggest landlord.

Pa Ojukwu was celebrated as Ajao that came to Lagos with nothing but certainly not the first Millionaire at the level of Da Rocha that was well before him.

There was also Binney that donated a whole zoo to Lagos for public viewing. He came from Ghana or Togo. Those old enough may remember Binney Center in Yaba then.

Pa Ojukwu was first among Igbo in Lagos but some millionaires existed in Lagos before him.

Don't forget Dantata in the North.He had so much money, people said he had money machine.

1 Like

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by olatunyemi(m): 5:54am On Jul 03, 2017
is name is there in Yoruba primary school textbook. my mum use it alot esp when she is not ready to give you a kobo, do I look like darosa ni

1 Like

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by factwriter(m): 3:21pm On Jul 03, 2017
spartan117:
NCAN reporting live from the 1950's via time machine technology
Name: Jao da Rocha
Region: south west
Roof: brown
Tribe: afonja

Doctor WHO, make you be careful o, before we go give you TOTAL RECALL back to slave trade era.
Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by factwriter(m): 3:33pm On Jul 03, 2017
googi:
It is interesting how history can disappear if not told to new generation.

It is true that Pa Sir Ojukwu was one of the first millionaire but not the only one in Lagos.

There were Otunba Payne, Docemu a trader and importer on Docemu Streeet, Ajao was very popular as rags to riches from the West and the biggest landlord.

Pa Ojukwu was celebrated as Ajao that came to Lagos with nothing but certainly not the first Millionaire at the level of Da Rocha that was well before him.

There was also Binney that donated a whole zoo to Lagos for public viewing. He came from Ghana or Togo. Those old enough may remember Binney Center in Yaba then.

Pa Ojukwu was first among Igbo in Lagos but some millionaires existed in Lagos before him.

Don't forget Dantata in the North.He had so much money, people said he had money machine.

Binney Zoological gardens (though dilapidated and non functional) is still on Binney street, adjacent Teju-Osho shopping complex, Yaba, Lagos.

Dantata opened an account with First bank in Kano somewhat around 1910/1920 with over a dozen camels loaded with coins.

So many of them like that.

Even my own paternal great, grand, grand father, Mr. Pachiko Pedro, a Brazilian bronze & silver merchant who bought nearly all of TOM JONES land mark In Lagos Island in the early Twenties.
Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by MDUMAR01: 12:50am On Jul 04, 2017
lonelydora:
Having borehole in his house as of then showed he lacked confidence in the government and knew they won't provide water for him and the environ.

No bi today Nigeria spoil shaa.

Which Government? where you see government?? Person wei die 1959.
Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by Basic123: 5:13pm On Jul 04, 2017
mjbaba:
OHKKKKKKKK!!!! This is d person my Ma was always refering to as "Da Rosa"

exactly.

He don tey wey Afonja don dey develop lagos.(A man from osun be that o) before some land grapper declare am no man's land out of greed and jealousy.

1 Like

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by ArcToyin(m): 10:37pm On Jul 22, 2017
So is this guy my mama used to refer to anytime she was to describe lavishness
Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by DONADAMS(m): 11:26am On Aug 25, 2017
he died 1959 buh how come he contributed money after the civil war??
Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by kanmifad(m): 1:27pm On Aug 25, 2017
DONADAMS:

he died 1959 buh how come he contributed money after the civil war??
he contributed money after world war 11
(not civil war) that fought between 1939-1945 and died in 1959
Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by hilroy: 10:03pm On Aug 25, 2017
Mc4larin:
Have you ever asked any of your parents for money, especially continuously, and they gave you this reply: “Do you think I’m da Rocha?”

Well, I experienced it and growing up, I never knew the meaning of the statement, until I came across a book a friend gave me, when I stumbled on the name “Candido da Rocha”.

He was a rich man who would, from the balcony of his one-storey building, throw down coins to children who would, in a tangle of bodies and flapping hands, struggle for them. So, I remembered vividly why my parents denies being “a da Rocha” anytime I ask for monies I don’t literally need as a child.

Also known as Nigeria’s first millionaire, he was a rich entrepreneur, businessman, landowner and creditor who owned Water House or Casa d’Agua on Kakawa Street, Lagos Island, Lagos. It was named Water House because it was the first and only house in Lagos in those days to have a borehole and in turn sell water to the residents.

Candido da Rocha, a native of Ilesha, present day, Osun State, was born to the family of Joao Esan da Rocha, who was captured as a slave when he was 10 years old on his way to school in Ilesha. Candido was born in the Bahia region of Brazil. His mother was Angelica Josephina da Rocha. His father returned to Lagos, Nigeria in the 1870’s where he built his wealth and passed it to his son, Candido.
Due to his wealth, his friend, Herbert Macaulay, nominated him as a candidate in one of the elections of the time. And when da Rocha met the electorate, he told them: “I am Candido da Rocha, your candidate into the House. Vote for me if you like. And if you don’t, all well and good.” That statement ended his sojourn in politics as he lost the elections with acquiring just 20 votes.
Indeed, da Rocha was a very modest and generous capitalist.

During the Second World War (1939 - 1945), when the authorities of Kings College were looking for a place to relocate the students in the boarding house – among whom were Tiamiyu Bello-Osagie, who would become one of Nigeria’s most celebrated gynaecologists; Adenekan Ademola, son of Nigeria’s first indigenous Chief Justice, Adetokunbo Ademola; Dapo Aderemi, son of Sir Adesoji Aderemi, the legendary Onni of Ile-Ife – da Rocha volunteered his Bonanza Hotel on Customs Street, Lagos, and did not collect a dime for the period it was used.
Even after the war, when government asked influential Nigerians to contribute to the rehabilitations fund, he made substantial donations and he instructed that the amount should not be disclosed to the public.
Despite his wealth and political clout, no street in Lagos is named after him. Candido da Rocha died in 1959 and his remains lies at the Ikoyi Cemetery

Credits: Ayomide Akinbode

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Darocha_Esan.jpg

This is the pix of the water house still standing strong till date

1 Like

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by Emary(f): 9:02pm On Jun 28, 2018
Despite his wealth and political clout, no street in Lagos is named after him.

I just saw a sign for a small street behind Bookshop house at CMS area today clearly named after him.

1 Like

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by okwabayi(m): 4:32am On Sep 18, 2018
I enjoyed this piece of history.
Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by okwabayi(m): 4:35am On Sep 18, 2018
hilroy:

This is the pix of the water house still standing strong till date
Please post a 2018 picture of the place. I doubt it looks as nice today. That is if it is not already demolished by the government.
Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by Greenback: 1:44pm On Sep 18, 2018
MrDandy:

when it comes to setting records, I know it'll surely be an Oduduwa boy

If Joao were to be alive today,you ewedus will betray him for Hausa Fulani people.

IgboAmaka Jo
Lzaa immhotep
grin

[img]http:///media/11-24-2015/a3dNU0.gif[/img]

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by LZAA: 1:46pm On Sep 18, 2018
Greenback:

If Joao were to be alive today,you ewedus will betray him for Hausa Fulani people.

IgboAmaka Jo
Lzaa immhotep
grin

grin grin
Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by LZAA: 1:51pm On Sep 18, 2018
nnokwa042:
I wonder if not Lagos how Western states will still look like till today,thank God u said u people met white people first and white people transferred thier technology to Yoruba's no wonder Yoruba's re the investors of car plane fax machine telephone computer train ship bicycle ,no wonder Yoruba's are competing with likes of Germans Japanese Italians or Chinese in today's technology and Ekiti state is silicon valley of Nigeria ,ka chineke Mezie okwu
Chaaaaiii
See finishing grin
Cc immhotep greenback Roger3D sarkin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by Nobody: 1:57pm On Sep 18, 2018
nnokwa042:

Choi grin grin
Cc lzaa sarrki pointzerom eternaltruths jumpandpas greenback Roger3D sarkin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by Nobody: 2:00pm On Sep 18, 2018
Greenback:

IgboAmaka Jo
Lzaa immhotep
grin

Kaliphate things cheesy cheesy

Cc lzaa sarrki pointzerom eternaltruths jumpandpas greenback Roger3D sarkin

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tony Elumelu Having Breakfast With His Twin Boys (photos) / New Trend On Forex Indicators: Amazing Forex Strategy / Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.