Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,130 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:34 AM

6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank (12066 Views)

This Is Why You Should Not Drive Your Automatic Cars With Both Feet / Here’s Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On An Empty Tank / See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by AutoJoshNG: 5:34pm On Jun 30, 2017
No one brags about their fuel gauge never dropping below the full tank.. but many brag how far their cars can go on an empty tank of fuel. This may be good as it can save us in times of trouble, however, the resulting problems far outweighs its benefits.

The warning light comes on and you still want to hustle your car like that from Sagamu to Lagos! Don’t do that to your car because your car will do you back in 10 folds with zero pity.

6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank

1) Fuel pump damage

The fuel pump sends fuel from the tank to the engine and it relies on petrol or diesel to keep it cool and lubricated. In the absence of fuel, air takes its place.. suffocating the pump.. leading to premature wear and potential fail. If you think the fuel pump will always get supply no matter how little the fuel in your tank is, think again.. because driving on rough roads, uphill and downhill can actually make your car tilt and the fuel pump choke to death.

2) Clogged fuel filter

Since sediments and dirts settle at the bottom of fuel tanks, low fuel may provoke those sediments making them to block the filter especially in older cars that use metal fuel tanks which may even corrode. Once the fuel filter is blocked, sufficient fuel will no longer get to the engine, and your car will quench. As the flow of fuel stagnates, cooling of the fuel pump is another issue that may arise.

3) It can leave you stranded anytime

If the car suddenly stops running, you could be stranded in the middle of nowhere or in the middle of agberos. Being stranded with your car at Oshodi Oke or 9th Mile or Kafanchan is definitely something you don’t want. It is embarrassing, time wasting, expensive and dangerous as you could be attacked.

4) Refueling frequently wastes your time

Some drivers actually enter the filling station 3 or more times in a day to buy fuel. Putting N700 fuel at dawn, then N600 at noon, adding another N500 at dusk. Not a good idea if you calculate the amount of time spent on the queue and refueling.. It’s a waste of productive time.

5) More expensive

Imagine your car runs out of fuel 5 minutes after you sped past a filling station with no money in your pocket. Now you have to get a bike to take you to the closest ATM, get some money, rent or buy a keg, another bike to the filling station to get 5 litres of fuel for your car. Hmmm! Check out the time and money wasted.

6) Wrong fuel gauge calibration

Your car’s fuel gauge calibration may be off-key.. telling you what is not.. telling you there is a little more fuel than you actually have. It’s when the car goes off that you’ll know the truth.

Ignoring your car’s low fuel warning is generally a bad idea, and running your car on empty can cause serious and costly problems to you and your car. So when next your car is hungry, give it food to eat.. however, if you don’t mind your car going on hunger strike, check how far it can go on empty tank HERE.

https://autojosh.com/6-reasons-you-should-not-drive-your-car-on-empty-tank/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by AbarisFather(m): 5:42pm On Jun 30, 2017
kuko?
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jun 30, 2017
Uhmm bros i dey feel you. The last time i go service my car pump , the thing wey look like tea bag don turn brown. The guy clean am multiple times before e turn to white, i run my car with the light on a lot.

I still do am today sef, before i see fuel buy for total inside shoprite ehnn. This one wey fuel don scarce na gobe o.
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by praxisnetworks: 5:47pm On Jun 30, 2017
There are various reasons why you should not drive on full tank too

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jun 30, 2017
I don't know how people feel comfortable driving with low/empty tank. Asides the plenty negative effects it has on the car _ I just can't turn myself to a mathematician. Calculating how may miles it would go, at the sight of traffic, you'll be uneasy, worse case scenario _you start jogging to the nearest filling station with one dirty gallon.

Men are very guilty of this. If you complain, they'll be claiming the fuel can go to Accra and back.

19 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by diportivo: 8:32pm On Jun 30, 2017
PaperLace:
I don't know how people feel comfortable driving with low/empty tank. Asides the plenty negative effects it has on the car _ I just can't turn myself to a mathematician. Calculating how may miles it would go, at the sight of traffic, you'll be uneasy, worse case scenario _you start jogging to the nearest filling station with one dirty gallon.

Men are very guilty of this. If you complain, they'll be claiming the fuel can go to Accra and back.

why do women find this hard to believe sef grin

10 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jun 30, 2017
diportivo:

why do women find this hard to believe sef grin
Thank God you didn't deny. Anytime I want to use my husband's car, he'll say "I know say you go buy fuel for me, God bless you in advance" _because it's always somewhere below quarter tank.

The question should be,why do you men do like that?

4 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by nurey(m): 9:17pm On Jun 30, 2017
PaperLace:

Thank God you didn't deny. Anytime I want to use my husband's car, he'll say "I know say you go buy fuel for me, God bless you in advance" _because it's always somewhere below quarter tank.

The question should be,why do you men do like that?

Because we have so many mouths to feed

Girlfriend
Baby mama
Side chick
Credit
Data
Pay siblings fees
Give parents pocket money
Clubbing
Etc

So no cash to always keep my tank full, financial burden is just too much

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by ikeepitreal(m): 9:37pm On Jun 30, 2017
very informative.
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jun 30, 2017
nurey:

Because we have so many mouths to feed

Girlfriend
Baby mama
Side chick

Credit
Data
Pay siblings fees
Give parents pocket money
Clubbing
Etc

So no cash to always keep my tank full, financial burden is just too much
Haha. Only you dey handle three women, and each of them fit be V12. See as you wan use your hand commot 28yrs from your lifespan. Thanks for telling me the reason, I appreciate cheesy.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by nurey(m): 10:05pm On Jun 30, 2017
PaperLace:

Haha. Only you dey handle three women, and each of them fit be V12. See as you wan use your hand commot 28yrs from your lifespan. Thanks for telling me the reason, I appreciate cheesy.

As long as I die smiling grin

10 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by NwaAmaikpe: 7:05am On Jul 01, 2017
shocked

You can drive your car with low fuel, there's no imminent grave risk.

But please never have sex on empty stomach....to avoid dying during active service.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by Dutchey(m): 7:06am On Jul 01, 2017
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by kings09(m): 7:08am On Jul 01, 2017
Ok
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by muller101(m): 7:10am On Jul 01, 2017
fuckerstard:
Uhmm bros i dey feel you. The last time i go service my car pump , the thing wey look like tea bag don turn brown. The guy clean am multiple times before e turn to white, i run my car with the light on a lot.

I still do am today sef, before i see fuel buy for total inside shoprite ehnn. This one wey fuel don scarce na gobe o.
tea bag? Like lipton tea? That's the strainer bro.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by veacea: 7:10am On Jul 01, 2017
For this recession?
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by sakalisis(m): 7:19am On Jul 01, 2017
cool
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by Alexbrain(m): 7:26am On Jul 01, 2017
Discovering your talents and building up your skills with be a very productive way to tackle unemployment and become an entrepreneur.
Check out this free online book that will help you with that
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/657738
http://okadabooks.com/book/about/talent__the_bomb/12751#
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by tripoli007(m): 8:27am On Jul 01, 2017
Bros na condition make crayfish bend .. I remember a day I had #500 on me as my last card ,I had to use 200 to chao bread n beans and buy fuel 300 inside my car .. No sane person with money in his pocket won't do normal now

3 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by Kizyte(m): 8:30am On Jul 01, 2017
Nice! But Autojosh, na only you get Nairaland Car Talk Section?

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by Exponental(m): 8:37am On Jul 01, 2017
Na condition jare..... Do you think I don't like to drive a brand new car, refill every quarter gauge and forget about buying new car parts for the next 5yrs but only servicing?
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by agarawu23(m): 8:46am On Jul 01, 2017
I don't risk empty or low tank again, I have bought fuel pump twice and e don make me get get sense. grin u will do economics and end up spending money on fuel pump and filter angry
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by vertueptime: 8:46am On Jul 01, 2017
Some times low fuel has its advantage, one dat wet i decided to full my tank na dat day armed robbers stole the car, since they saw fuel they decided to head to abuja, luckily for me i had a tracker and stoped the car on the high way and retrieved it mins later, if say low fuel de dem for no try to travel out
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by Drabrah(m): 8:48am On Jul 01, 2017
praxisnetworks:
There are various reasons why you should not drive on full tank too

Counterthread loading......................
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by Waladade4luv(m): 9:10am On Jul 01, 2017
Man go don get gallon and hole or funnel inside d car in case...
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by ruggedtimi(m): 9:16am On Jul 01, 2017
tell my mother that one
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by unitedsurv: 9:21am On Jul 01, 2017
vertueptime:
Some times low fuel has its advantage, one dat wet i decided to full my tank na dat day armed robbers stole the car, since they saw fuel they decided to head to abuja, luckily for me i had a tracker and stoped the car on the high way and retrieved it mins later, if say low fuel de dem for no try to travel out

Lmao thank God for you o bro grin abeg tell me how that tracker works I wana try it to on my EOD 04
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by Juni4jay(m): 9:29am On Jul 01, 2017
Cool.
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by Dicksonpal: 9:40am On Jul 01, 2017
fuckerstard:

lol filter, na so
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by Iffffffy(f): 10:57am On Jul 01, 2017
it actually saved someone i know.

His car was about to be snatched at gunpoint until they realised d fuel light is on and probably thinkng the fuel wont take them far cuz its late already, they came down and threw the key at him and went away with the car they came with.

He was only robbed of his phone

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

World Car Awards 2013 Shortlist Announced / Toyota Tacoma Recalled Due To Excessive Anti-corrosion Coating / BMW Is Already Recalling New M760li Over Oil Leak – Quite Fast!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.