Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,694 members, 7,802,032 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:15 AM

Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? (3378 Views)

Parents, Don't Allow Your Kids To Run To Meet You When You Return Home. See Why / 13 Things You Need To Teach Your “girl Child” At An Early Age / Here Is A List Of Things You Need To Teach Your Children Fast (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jun 30, 2017
Times are changing, many are leaving the village lifestyle to the cities. One has to ask, do my kids still need to learn my language? If they don't, is it as shameful as before?. I have many friends who insist that they wouldn't teach their kids Nigeria language rather use that time to teach them any of French, protugese, Spanish grin so they can't fit very well in several parts of the world.
Would you or would you not with reasons please.
Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jun 30, 2017
Why do Nigerians have such low self esteem? undecided

8 Likes

Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by Kowor(f): 7:39pm On Jun 30, 2017
Why won't I? Still mad at my father for not teaching me his own, at least I still understand the basic of mum's. And with the little I know, I'll pass it on.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by VargasVee(m): 7:56pm On Jun 30, 2017
My children has to learn my dialect before any other slave language undecided

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jun 30, 2017
Kowor:
Why won't I? Still mad at my father for not teaching me his own, at least I still understand the basic of mum's. And with the little I know, I'll pass it on.
so, you are a product of inter-tribal marriage? Nice, you can still learn your father's language and know it well, not late.
Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by Kowor(f): 8:49pm On Jun 30, 2017
dayo2me:
so, you are a product of inter-tribal marriage? Nice, you can still learn your father's language and know it well, not late.
Yes, I can still learn it. But language learning is perfected when practiced.

1 Like

Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by Dyt(f): 9:16pm On Jun 30, 2017
Orisirisi

So wetin make I tish am?
undecided undecided undecided
Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by simiolu1(m): 12:27am On Jul 01, 2017
The fact that this is even considered a question baffles me. I often hear parents say that learning one's tribal language has negative consequences for the person's spoken or written English.

This is a fallacy of the highest order. Wole Soyinka writes beautifully in English but if you read his Yoruba works, you'd fall in love with the language all over again. I have read Chimamanda too and her strong grasp of Igbo is very obvious in the way she writes. I think that what most parents are trying to hide is the fact that they don't buy books for their wards or encourage them to read!

I never called my father "dad, daddy or father". I called him "Baba Mi" till he died. At home, we rarely spoke English; strictly Yoruba. But I can boldly say I have never failed an English Language or Literature exam. In fact, I rarely studied or prepared for them.

This is because my father made sure I started reading Shakespeare and Dickens since Primary School. By the time I was in Primary 6, he introduced me to D.O. Fagunwa and other Yoruba authors. Today, I am proud to say that I read, speak and write Yoruba and English very well.

Finally, please note "The history, culture and societal values of a group of people is in their language. Kill or erase the language, and the people would soon lose their sense of identity."

14 Likes

Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by Nobody: 8:03am On Jul 05, 2017
Dyt:
Orisirisi

So wetin make I tish am?
undecided undecided undecided
why the orisirisi shit? Why insults? Nigerians be behaving like dogs.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by Nobody: 8:04am On Jul 05, 2017
FortuneTeller:
. How is this low self esteem? Teaching a child a language that wouldn't benefit him in the world? Go back to your village and speak your high self esteem. Let's see if your language would give you a job, and food to eat.
Your type would runnnn away from majoring in Igbo/yoruba or any nigerian language in the university.
Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by Dyt(f): 8:46am On Jul 05, 2017
beardlessdude:
why the orisirisi shit? Why insults? Nigerians be behaving like dogs.

You want attention from me right?

1 Like

Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by Nobody: 8:56am On Jul 05, 2017
Dyt:

You want attention from me right?
what would i use your attention to do ma? Nothing!
Would it credit my bank account? No,
I'm not one of those dudes chasing pink "f"s all around nairaland. I stated the obvious. Answers question like a human being.
Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by Nobody: 9:28am On Jul 05, 2017
beardlessdude:
. How is this low self esteem? Teaching a child a language that wouldn't benefit him in the world? Go back to your village and speak your high self esteem. Let's see if your language would give you a job, and food to eat.
Your type would runnnn away from majoring in Igbo/yoruba or any nigerian language in the university.

You are a sad cause. Your ignorance is astounding. I truly do pity you.

8 Likes

Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by Nobody: 9:36am On Jul 05, 2017
FortuneTeller:

You are a sad cause. Your ignorance is astounding. I truly do pity you.
go back to your village and speak Igbo, nneka. My children won't speak any Nigeria zoo language. Call it low self esteem, that's your problem. The country us deteriorated enough to make all citizens ashamed.
Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by Nobody: 9:41am On Jul 05, 2017
beardlessdude:
go back to your village and speak Igbo, nneka. My children won't speak any Nigeria zoo language. Call it low self esteem, that's your problem. The country us deteriorated enough to make all citizens ashamed.

My dear I don't live in Nigeria. You have been so beaten down with poverty and low self esteem that you don't have any appreciation for yourself. You are a slave and you don't even realize it.

7 Likes

Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by Nobody: 9:44am On Jul 05, 2017
FortuneTeller:

My dear I don't live in Nigeria. You have been so beaten down with poverty and low self esteem that you don't have any appreciation for yourself. You are a slave and you don't even realize it.
neither do I live in Nigeria smiley
Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by Nobody: 9:50am On Jul 05, 2017
beardlessdude:
neither do I live in Nigeria smiley

beardlessdude:
Biko oo, my brother is in the north and it's obvious that the arbokis have gone haywire. Should i call him back?

Liar. Get help for your low self esteem.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by Nobody: 9:53am On Jul 05, 2017
FortuneTeller:

Liar. Get help for your low self esteem.
you couldn't get the sarcasm right? Bitch.
One local Yoruba girl in ekiti claiming "I don't live in Nigeria"
Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by Nobody: 9:57am On Jul 05, 2017
beardlessdude:
you couldn't get the sarcasm right? Bitch.
One local Yoruba girl in ekiti claiming "I don't live in Nigeria"

See what low self-esteem has done to you. Now I have shown you are also a liar. You should run away in shame. Please don't have children. Let your ignorance die with you.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by Nobody: 10:03am On Jul 05, 2017
FortuneTeller:

See what low self-esteem has done to you. Now I have shown you are also a liar. You should run away in shame. Please don't have children. Let your ignorance die with you.
go back to your village, I repeat.
Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by SirVintageCock: 10:57am On Jul 05, 2017
beardlessdude:
go back to your village, I repeat.
Give it a rest.

It is quite obvious from your posts that you reeks of low self esteem.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by Nobody: 11:06am On Jul 05, 2017
SirVintageCock:
Give it a rest.

It is quite obvious from your posts that you reeks of low self esteem.
ok cock
Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by SirVintageCock: 11:13am On Jul 05, 2017
beardlessdude:
ok cock
you are welcome undecided

1 Like

Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by Exponental(m): 11:18am On Jul 05, 2017
.....And what will they lose if they know it and choose not to use it?
Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by JBoy9(m): 11:38am On Jul 05, 2017
A wise old woman once said to me that there are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these she said is roots, the other, wings. Roots to know where home is...we want our sons’ roots to go deep into the soil beneath them and into the past, not in arrogance but in confidence. and wings to fly off,explore the world and practice what has been taught them........

3 Likes

Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by eyinjuege: 2:20pm On Jul 05, 2017
beardlessdude:
Children can comfortably grasp as much as 6 languages at the same time.
You'll be shortchanging your child If you deprive him of your language. It doesn't stop him from learning ofhers, and there's no disadvantage at all.
Nothing stops a child from learning French, Arabic, Spanish, Russian together with English and your native language. You just have to spend more money enrolling the child in the schools for all these languages except the English and your native language which the child picks up freely from home and school.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by DieBuhari: 2:27pm On Jul 05, 2017
FortuneTeller:
My fellow Igbos especially

1 Like

Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jul 06, 2017
eyinjuege:

Children can comfortably grasp as much as 6 languages at the same time.
You'll be shortchanging your child If you deprive him of your language. It doesn't stop him from learning ofhers, and there's no disadvantage at all.
Nothing stops a child from learning French, Arabic, Spanish, Russian together with English and your native language. You just have to spend more money enrolling the child in the schools for all these languages except the English and your native language which the child picks up freely from home and school.
my personal decision tho. My kids won't learn any naija language. E dey spoil accent abeg.
Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by eyinjuege: 7:08pm On Jul 06, 2017
beardlessdude:
my personal decision tho. My kids won't learn any naija language. E dey spoil accent abeg.

If your children live in Nigeria, and you also have an accent (I'm sure you do, provided you were not born and bred abroad, or lived there for a very long time), they will definitely pick up your accent even if you don't expose them to others.
They will go to school, mix with others socially.
Have you ever seen any Nigerian without an accent? Hardly. (You may feel they dont have, but an English man will tell you they have)
Even your Nollywood actors that try so hard still have an accent.
Even those who have a perfect command of the English language still have an accent.. Even though the likes of Wole Soyinka, Chimamanda who are good in English language have their own accents that are not exactly British and American. Even British people have their own accents. Americans also have accents. Depending on which parts of their countries they are from.
The oyibo people themselves understand this and are not bothered. They definitely wouldn't see any African accent as local, since they don't know the difference between the way an Oyo man/ondo man/Hausa man/Igbo man etc speak. Even amongst Hausa, they have their accents, Igbo people also have different accents depending on the area they are from.
Even the French have an accent when they speak English, spanish/polish.
Everyone has an accent Mr man.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by EfemenaXY: 7:28pm On Jul 06, 2017
durentchigozie:
Times are changing, many are leaving the village lifestyle to the cities. One has to ask, do my kids still need to learn my language? If they don't, is it as shameful as before?. I have many friends who insist that they wouldn't teach their kids Nigeria language rather use that time to teach them any of French, protugese, Spanish grin so they can't fit very well in several parts of the world.
Would you or would you not with reasons please.

Definitely.

Your language partly defines who you are.

Be proud of your origins.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jul 06, 2017
eyinjuege:

If your children live in Nigeria, and you also have an accent (I'm sure you do, provided you were not born and bred abroad, or lived there for a very long time), they will definitely pick up your accent even if you don't expose them to others.
They will go to school, mix with others socially.
Have you ever seen any Nigerian without an accent? Hardly. (You may feel they dont have, but an English man will tell you they have)
Even your Nollywood actors that try so hard still have an accent.
Even those who have a perfect command of the English language still have an accent.. Even though the likes of Woke Soyinla, Chimamanda who are good in English language have their own accents that are not exactly British and American. Even British people have their own accents. Americans also have accents. Depending on which parts of their countries they are from.
The oyibo people themselves understand this and are not bothered. They definitely wouldn't see any African accent as local, since they don't know the difference between the way an Oyo man/ondo man/Hausa man/Igbo man etc speak. Even amongst Hausa, they have their accents, Igbo people also have different accents depending on the area they are from.
Even the French have an accent when they speak English, spanish/polish.
Everyone has an accent Mr man.
you know the nigeria accent I'm talking about sir. Don't confuse me. Everyone has accent but what the hell is: I'm going to my ouse, one tasan, mally me, lun away, old me tight.
I never said anything is wrong with those accent I listed but i dont like them and my kids definitely won't speak like that. And to avoid that, English first before any other.
It's my personal choice
Re: Is It Still Important Teach Your Kids Your Tribal Language? by EfemenaXY: 7:49pm On Jul 06, 2017
beardlessdude:
you know the nigeria accent I'm talking about sir. Don't confuse me. Everyone has accent but what the hell is: I'm going to my ouse, one tasan, mally me, lun away, old me tight.
I never said anything is wrong with those accent I listed but i dont like them and my kids definitely won't speak like that. And to avoid that, English first before any other.
It's my personal choice

I'm enjoying this. cheesy

More please...

Armyofone! I see you girl. How've you been?

Long time babe kiss

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Must Couples Sleep In The Same Room? / "Two Mothers Fight Over Their Teenage Daughter’s Boyfriend In Abuja" / My Landlord Wants Me To Monitor His Wife.... Confused Tenant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.