Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,915 members, 7,806,660 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:03 PM

Number 225 Katakata Street - Literature (155) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Number 225 Katakata Street (1317438 Views)

[MUST READ] Welcome To Lagos: Danfo Palavas (very Funny) / Welcome To The US. / Welcome To My Street (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) ... (263) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by kokosin: 12:43am On Jan 30, 2019
see film
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by stevodot22(m): 11:19am On Jan 30, 2019
I'm really enjoying this piece, Weldon bro.

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Aphroditee(f): 11:21am On Jan 30, 2019
EkopSparoAyara:
Centino....Who are you?? I can't help but give a voice to this question on my mind.. I hope you will answer because your knowledge of the metaphysical baffles me...

So Akunna's son name is Dozie and he is all grown...Beautiful...

Agbonyibo has escaped this one,Mama Akunna I hope you recover from this..Take heart

It's a good thing that Ndifreke is back,Maya still remain his and Jonjo is back to his senses...Let their love blossom...

Akunna deserves another slap to return his senses back to it's factory reset..He has lavished a million naira in few days time....That guy is a spender..

Castro, I told you, you were going to conquer in the grave...It has started,you haven't seen anything yet.... Such an eye opener...

Agbonyibo has come again...Who could be Evae's husband to be??....The time has come indeed...

BRAVO CENTINO...

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by clumsydyna: 9:40pm On Jan 30, 2019
Ah ah, no midweek update? Or is today not Wednesday? Centino nsidogho?
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Gracito(f): 1:38am On Jan 31, 2019
Centino grin grin
You have managed to keep me glued to my screen with this story.
I'm really glad, thank you. It's really entertaining and informative too. Kindly mention me in your next update.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Nanatrendy(f): 7:28pm On Jan 31, 2019
I wonder who evae's choice will be as for castro I hope the poor boy locates his brains soon
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by connkg(m): 1:02am On Feb 01, 2019
I'm hoping Irikefe is Evae's choice.
Agbon fineboy's village people have come in form of Papa Efe for Round 1...
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Taniaa(f): 2:12am On Feb 01, 2019
Following keenly
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by princessConfy(f): 2:13pm On Feb 01, 2019
Good afternoon, katakata residents.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by sconp: 3:02pm On Feb 01, 2019
princessConfy:
Good afternoon, katakata residents.
Awa you? Oya hit us!
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by timota(m): 4:24pm On Feb 01, 2019
connkg:
I'm hoping Irikefe is Evae's choice.
Agbon fineboy's village people have come in form of Papa Efe for Round 1...
irefeke did not even apply,even if they give her to him with 5 million I know he will not collect

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Jecdope(m): 5:47pm On Feb 01, 2019
hello nairalanders please help me promote this site it would help young entrepreneurs
https://worldofwealthnetwork.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by ADECULATE(f): 6:22pm On Feb 01, 2019
jagugu88li:
This me has been busy....school, work, home affairs etc cheesy
kk no wonder;-)
u is weldone ooo
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by princessConfy(f): 7:02pm On Feb 01, 2019
sconp:
Awa you? Oya hit us!
lol, I'm fine but anxious. hope you're enjoying your day
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by sconp: 7:23pm On Feb 01, 2019
princessConfy:

lol, I'm fine but anxious.
hope you're enjoying your day

Anxious for an update? You just have to wait for about 36 more hours grin

It's been a good day. I hope yours isn't different
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by princessConfy(f): 8:29pm On Feb 01, 2019
sconp:

Anxious for an update? You just have to wait for about 36 more hours grin
It's been a good day. I hope yours isn't different
� you're not making it any easier. yeah my day was good. Happy new month
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Nobody: 8:36pm On Feb 01, 2019
*ghost mode deactivated* oga centino welldone oh i dey enjoy am,keep the good work moving
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by sconp: 12:14am On Feb 02, 2019
princessConfy:

� you're not making it any easier.
yeah my day was good. Happy new month
I don't indeed to make it easier, I want you uneasy, anxious and salivating for the next update wink.
A new month it is, I hope that it brings you all that you want and more.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by princessConfy(f): 6:55am On Feb 02, 2019
sconp:

I don't indeed to make it easier, I want you uneasy, anxious and salivating for the next update wink.
A new month it is, I hope that it brings you all that you want and more.

Amen, wishing you same

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by kentochi(m): 3:07pm On Feb 02, 2019
Finally am here
Thanks to our great writer am following this thread forever
Lol
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Rollins777(m): 6:45pm On Feb 02, 2019
Centi my personal person,I salute you,good evening,anything for the house?
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Pinkfeet: 9:10pm On Feb 02, 2019
Centino:

Kai grin

You are no longer permitted to ghost.

sheycrown, Poisonivy01, chijioke17, preetiex, INDUSTRIALFAN, jagugu88li, aytuns, Michaelblake40, pinkfeet, phoenixchap, seunadeolu, Fazemood MhizSuccess...y'all not allowed to ghost! grin

na the ones i fit remember now cheesy

am busy that is the reason why.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by EkopSparoAyara(m): 11:13pm On Feb 02, 2019
phoenixchap:

My sensei friend I feel u
Phoenix-manny...I sight you from a long range my bro...
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by EkopSparoAyara(m): 11:15pm On Feb 02, 2019
tsharp:
I actually looked up the silver cord and sure enough, it exists! Let me join my brothers younzubi and EkopSparoAyara and ask...how do you know all these things centino?

Tsharrrrpppppp....You can say that again man..
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Rick9(m): 4:48am On Feb 03, 2019
At last
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by KingKunleClown(m): 6:59am On Feb 03, 2019
Please i want to buy Cent in... shocked shocked[/color] grin[center][/center]this Centino dey work beta I swear... Make I buy him come dey cook story for me jae.... But blood, you get sense.... Na school wey I dey no dey allow me come Katakata street regularly.... More strength blood.... [b][/b][color=#990000]
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Vulcanheph(m): 8:23am On Feb 03, 2019
In tubaba's voice
"I like story, I dey straight forward.
I don buy popcorn and mineral to use.....
I don buy fuel ,I don set am up for yard o.
CENTINO no go disappoint me, nyeneke problem o....."
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by WAACUT(m): 8:59am On Feb 03, 2019
CENTINO BABA.. YOU KNOW WE DEY SEASON.... POLITICS THINGS. BUT I don show... Oya prepare this jellof rice fast fast..
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by pjewelSilva(f): 11:53am On Feb 03, 2019
Centino, pls give us update.. pls
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Rimsd(m): 12:08pm On Feb 03, 2019
grin Oga Centino Abeg show now, I don dey loss weight oooo

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 12:25pm On Feb 03, 2019
THE LUCKY MAN

Akunna was released on the grounds of ill health and lack of evidence. The police were fed up with the matter. Katakata street was also fed up with the matter. Mama Tobi was left to go and lick her wounds.

Maya did not sleep at home for two nights. She and Ndifreke stayed at Eno Sunday’s.

“This is where I slept after the show.”

“I’m sorry my love,” Maya said between sobs. She clung to Ndifreke. She could not let go of him. She could not look at his face.

“At the first sign of trouble, you ran to a man who has lusted after you from the first day.”

“I was desperate. I do not know anyone else. He actually just showed up.”

“Did you sleep with him?”

“My God, no, Ndi?”

“Did he try?”

“Please let’s not talk about it.”

“Please answer me Maya. Did he try?”

“He wanted to.”

“Then what?”

“Please my love. Let’s not do this.”

“Answer me Maya. Did he try?”

“Yes.”

“The bastard. Then what happened.”

“God touched his heart.”

“Yeah right.”

“It’s true Ndi. I did not believe it myself. But he realized himself and let me go. He has had a couple of bad experiences which being there with me reminded him about.”

“How do you expect me to believe that?”

“Believe it because it is the truth. I gave up on everything. I even gave up on us. But he let the goodness in him shine through and he let me be. Even though he denies that he is a good man, he is. I didn't think his reasons were enough to not touch me.”

“Why did you go there?”

“I thought I was going to work and then found myself there.”

“He sent you a taxi?”

“Yes he sent me an Uber.”

“You now see why I never want you to take those free rides?”

“It is not about the free rides. Before Uber bad men always found ways of getting vulnerable women where they wanted them to be.”

“Why didn’t you just leave. Why did you go close enough for him to try?”

“Because I wanted to help you.”

“You offered yourself to another man to help me?”

“A man wanted me in order to help you. Nothing happened in the end. I would not have been there if you weren’t in jail.”

“If you had slept with him would you have told me?”

“If I had slept with him I would not be here.”

Ndifreke paced the room.

“That was a stupid risk Maya.”

“He said the same thing.”

“I don’t want to know what he said, please. The mere thought that you shared a room with him.”

Maya stood up and circled his waist with her arms.

“Forgive me my love. I was desperate.”

“I can’t bear to think about it Maya. You would have broken my heart. I would rather rot in jail than have another man lay a filthy hand on you.”

“Noted, my love.”

“I am a man. If I get into trouble again, get a lawyer. If he can’t get me out, let me do my time. But never think to compromise the very fulcrum of our love to ‘help me’. I would have hated you if you had done it. It would have been a sacrifice in vain.”

“I couldn’t bear to see you suffer for my sake Ndi.”

“You concluded wrongly. I never held you responsible. I know your mother.”

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s alright darling.”

“I like it here. This is what I told you. That we should move out of that place. If we did, I’d have still had my money.”

“It wasn’t the right time. Now that you don’t have it anymore, I hope your mother will rest.”

“She has not stopped crying and cursing Mama Akunna.”

“She said she gave the money to Akunna who’s madness has chosen the perfect time to return.”

“Do you think she really did it?”

“They said Agbonyibo’s juju arrested her and she confessed. That is all we have.”

“But the police searched their room and found nothing and Mama Akunna is now critically ill in the hospital.”

“It was wrong for your mother to try to take the money from you in the first place. All this is heaven’s way of showing her that. I hope she can rest now.”

Akunna was jittery. The police found nothing. How come?

There was only one answer.

The doctor explained to him that his mother could neither talk nor move and did not need to be disturbed.

“Is she in a coma?”

“Technically, yes. But every scientific indication is that she should be responsive but she isn’t. We will continue to observe her but she is not in danger. Only that she will not talk to you and may not hear anything you say.”

“Alright. I still want to see her.”

“As you wish.”

“Okay sir.”

“One more thing Mr Akunna.”

“Yes Doctor.”

“Thank the young man that brought her here. He is a hero.”

“Yes I will.”

Akunna walked into the ward where she occupied one of the five available beds. She lay straight and still on her back. She looked like she was dead. There was a drip line connected to a vein in her right hand and her eyelid twitched occasionally – the only visible sign that she was alive.

There was no one else was in the ward. One of the two patients she met died the morning after she arrived and the other ran out in the middle of her second night there and never returned. Mama Akunna needed to be alone for when her son would visit.

“Mama, they say you cannot hear and you cannot talk. But you see, you have no choice but to hear me and to talk because I will only ask once, after which I will squeeze your neck so hard that when I leave they will just come and carry you to the mortuary. Now, this is my question. And I will ask only once. Where is my money?”

She first opened one eye, and then the second. Then she looked around to be sure Akunna was alone.

“Nwam, Nna,” she whispered.

“Good girl,” Akunna said. “I like it that we understand each other.”

“My pikin.”

“Cut it out woman. Where is my money and what are you doing here deceiving all these people?”

After the confession, one by one the frontage emptied as people went back into their rooms to continue to talk about what had transpired within their families. Mama Tobi, in spite of her adversity, took little Dozie with her and Mama Akunna was left outside alone in a heap. Only Wasiu showed concern. He handed his bag over to Chisco and went to her aid.

“Oloshi boy” Mama Akunna whispered when Wasiu reached her side.

“Carry me inside.”

Wasiu did just that.

In the room, Mama Akunna knew she had little time. It surprised her that no one thought to search the room as soon as she had made her confession. She knew however that it would not be long before it occurred to them. She knew also that the police were already on their way.

“Oloshi boy!”

“Yes Mama”

“I no well”

“I see am so Mama.”

“I want make you carry me go hospital”

“But you no like hospital Mama.”

“I go go.”

“You get money?”

“No worry about that one. Go find Keke make I change my cloth.”

As soon as Wasiu left the room Mama Akunna went to Akunna’s bag and brought out the two bundles of one thousand naira notes. She removed twenty-five thousand naira and strapped the balance to her belly with a scarf before tying a wrapper over it. She then found a large booboo gown she never wore and was ready by the time Wasiu returned.

“Mama, make we dey go,” he said as he entered the room.

Mama Akunna signaled to Wasiu to close the door and he did. Then she invited him to move closer to her where she sat on the bed. She produced the money she had kept aside and handed it over to Wasiu whose eyes widened. In a whisper she said “Give dem twenty taasand when we reach hospital so dat dem go let me sleep dia. I no wan quick come back. Dis five taasand na your own. Come look me after four days.”

Wasiu held the cash and glared at Mama Akunna. Being a street boy and hardened, realization quickly downed on him. Then he jumped up and hollered “Mama de Mama!”

“Shhhhhh” Mama Akunna said and allowed herself to smile.”

“Mama de mama. You know you can count on me.”

“Oloshi boy! Oya make we dey go. Carry me small-small” she said, and as soon as Wasiu picked her up she lost consciousness.

Akunna looked at his mother and was shocked to realize that what he felt at that moment was pride.

“I go stay here till dem forget. If you want money, come here come collect. No carry am go house and no carry am go bank. Dem go catch you.”

“Holy shit, woman!”

Then a tear dropped from her eye. It was the first genuine tear Mama Akunna had shed in fifty years.

“Are you really crying witch mother?”

“Nwam, you know say I love you.”

Akunna did not know this but it was true. Mama Akunna loved her son. He was her only surviving child of seven that she bore. Her children kept dying before their fifth birthday so when Akunna was born, she was determined that he would live. She went to different places and did different things so that her seventh child would live. It was in the process of securing his life that she became a witch. She was told that she was a victim of the karma of her parents and that the only way her son would live was if she went to the coven to negotiate with and appease the entities that afflicted her. The medicine man that helped her made incisions on her body and put a black substance in her blood. It was supposed to be a onetime visit to the coven. But she discovered that every night after that first time that she could easily leave her body, and she found that she liked the experience. Then with the frustrations of life and disappointments with humanity, she threw herself into it and now did not know any other life. But she loved her only child and wanted the best for him. Getting rid of his wife and her bastard children was an act of love. Winning him back now, even if she had to steal to do so was the least she could do as a loving mother.

“You know, somehow I guessed that this was going to end well so I brought you something,” Akunna said.

He dipped his hand in the shopping bag he carried and brought out a bottle of ogogoro. “I was actually wondering how you have survived without this so I brought some along in case.”

Mama Akunna smiled and sat up. She collected the bottle and took large swigs and handed it back to Akunna. Akunna regarded the bottle for a beat and then drank copiously from it. Then they both began to giggle and then laughed heartily together. Akunna then moved closer and gave his mother a hug.

The council of elders had not dispersed. Someone from amongst them was getting the ultimate prize of Agbonyibo’s daughter. The buzz in the gathering was otherworldly.

“So, one person from here to begin chop that fresh potato. Wetin make me go marry when I marry?”

It was Mama Cowbell’s husband. He seldom spoke in the gathering, but even he could not contain himself today. Agbonyibo had excused himself to go and talk to his family after making the announcement, so they all awaited his return.

“INEC has decided to probe this trader moni thing APC is doing through Osinbanjo. It is discomfiting that it is now, weeks to the election that they realized that our traders are poor and need assistance.”

“The scheme has been on for three years. It is not new.”

“Why is it now that the VP is going about in person doling out the cash. They say it is loan, but we know that some of the market women he has been giving the money to do not even have bank accounts. It is vote buying.”

“Meanwhile the Lagos Assembly want to impeach Ambode. Who the man offend?”

“Tinubu, full stop. The Jagaban wants to show him that he can make and break in Lagos.”

“Ambode is clearly the sorriest politician ever. How can he be governor and yet be so helpless. This cannot happen in Rivers or Akwa Ibom.”

“What really is his crime?”

“They say he is not bringing out money for Sanwo-olu’s election. Everybody knows they campaign with government funds. Since he did not win the party ticket he has tightened the purse strings.”

“Surprise, surprise, Jimmy Agbaje has jumped to his defense. He has challengd the Assembly to show reasons why they want to impeach the governor. And word from the grapevine is that Ambode will defect to the PDP.”

“That is what he should have done from the beginning and taken the PDP governorship ticket. It would have been a new dawn for Lagos.”

“Anyway, let’s be watching. APC with their foolishness are about to dash Lagos to PDP.”

“Buhari refused to approve N50 billion to meet ASUU demands. Meanwhile he approved N91 billion to plant grass for cows across the North.”

“We always knew he valued cows more than people.”

“More than educated people you mean, remember he does not have a certificate. He does not understand what the fuss is about ASUU.”

“He told them they can continue the strike if they wanted.”

“Point of correction. The cattle colonies are actually to stem the tide of killings among herdsmen and farmers. It is security. If they keep killing themselves, who will be alive to go to the University. So it is a laudable move.”

“He did it because cattle is involved. If he cared so much about security, why hasn’t he stemmed the tide of Boko Haram, or stopped the killings in Southern Kaduna, or Zamfara?”

“At least let us celebrate that of the Herdsmen and farmers. He has to start somewhere.”

“His children are all schooling abroad. Let him solve ASUU so that ours can return to schools we can afford.”

“Lass lass the Government collected N1 billion from Patience Jonathan. President Jonathan is the only Nigerian ex President that can happen to. Weak before government, weak in government, weak after government. Now Buhari is using him to shine after he also weakly surrendered power.”

“The anti corruption war is yielding fruit haha!”

“Clueless ogogoro master.”

“Again, the Ethiopians and the Kenyans dominated the Lagos Marathon. No Nigerian in the top 10. They just came and won all those thousands of dollars! Abeg what do those people eat that makes them so good at distance running?”

“It is not what they eat as much as their natural habitat.”

“How?”

“They live and train at a higher altitude than sea level where we are. Their terrain is between 4 – 9,000 feet above sea level. The higher you go, the fewer oxygen molecules there are. The body and vital organs require oxygen to function optimally. Where the body is not getting that much oxygen, you expend more energy on tasks. Now if you live and train where there are fewer oxygen molecules, your body adapts to the difficulty so that when you now come to places like Lagos which is at sea level, you can run and run and never get tired. That is why runners from other parts of the world who want to compete with these guys travel to places like Kenya and Ethiopia, or Sucre and Uyani in Bolivia which is as high as 13,000 feet to train and acclimatize.”

“No wonder they are always thin with long necks. They are used to staying on dead trees like vultures.”

“I did not tell you that one.”

“Just hearing the chopper carrying the VP and eleven others crash landed in Kabba. Luckily there were no casualties.”

“Let him not sit in one place. They want to use him for sacrifice for the elections. Bubu is somewhere drinking cold kunu. It is not enough that they are sending him from market to market to share money, they now want his head as well.”

“He is a Pastor. Deuteronomy 31:6 says ‘be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid because of them for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”

“APC will say it is the handiwork of Dino Melaye since it happened in Kogi.”

Then suddenly a few of the heads turned. Then everyone looked and saw Evae in the company of Agbonyibo. This time she had clothes on. She wore a white Tshirt and a one piece wrapper and plenty beads on her waist. The men were besides themselves. Agbonyibo took his seat in the gathering while Evae remained standing. She scanned the faces of the men as they collectively held their breathes. Then she walked up to Achike and knelt in front of him. Achike fainted.

There was laughter and jeering as Achike was revived and reassured that it was happening for real. He held Evae’s hand and looked in her eyes and wept. Agbonyibo ordered beers and swiftly, the boys of the compound rallied to get everyone entertained. Irikefe went close to his father and said “Papa, what are we going to do now?”

“This night, we go find out who that man be.”

Mama Willy-willy got a prayer band to minister to Castro. After that, the nightmares stopped but the listlessness continued. He kept away from people and still slept abominable hours. His mother noticed that her husband avoided the topic of Castro’s poor health. She also noticed that her husband was always quick to agree to whatever Castro wanted. What was going on?

“The boy is probably going through adolescent troubles. Let him be.”

“Castro is almost twenty. He is not an adolescent!”

“Whatever. He will be alright.”

“Why do you always give him money? Is there something I should know?”

“He is a big boy now as you say. A little pocket money is in order I think.”

“Dear. I don’t know what is going on but I swear I will find out.”

“Suit yourself woman!”

Castro continued to only eat, sleep, and smoke marijuana. Then one day he heard a voice. It was distinct: “End it,” the voice in his head said. He did not pay too much attention to it at first. But at least once every day he heard the same voice repeat the same command: “End it.” He felt better when he smoked so he continued to spend time in uncompleted buildings where he went to get high every day. He was present on the day Evae chose her husband to be. He made sure he kept a good distance from everyone but he saw Evae kneel before Achike and all the hysteria that followed.

Castro checked his pocket and found N200. He then went to a kiosk down the street and bought a bottle of ‘sniper’.

TO BE CONTINUED.

33 Likes 7 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) ... (263) (Reply)

Countless (a story of Sex, Betrayal and vengeance) by Darousmart Emmanuel.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.