Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,468 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:25 PM

Number 225 Katakata Street - Literature (205) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Number 225 Katakata Street (1317709 Views)

[MUST READ] Welcome To Lagos: Danfo Palavas (very Funny) / Welcome To The US. / Welcome To My Street (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) ... (263) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Sezioha(m): 2:34am On May 21, 2019
This is insanely good. Would love to work with you.

Centino:
MEET MY NEIGHBOURS

They managed to squeeze the twenty four room storey building and two self contained and four shops of number 225 Katakata Street into a plot of land that was formerly a swamp. No one knows the exact number of occupants of this building. People stream in and out at all hours like it was a shopping mall, except that here you will see men in only boxers with stiff erections bellowing greetings at neighbors in the morning from the top floor balcony while still rubbing their eyes, women clad in only wrappers around their breasts washing heavy lather from the heads of their children close to the gutter, the privileged shop owners spraying holy water with incantations round their business premises, and many other people being supremely busy within the compound while people continued to stream in and out of the building.

I had since given up hope of knowing all my neighbors. Even with the endless throng of occupants and all the in and out movements all year long, there were still rooms that were secured with large shiny padlocks that were never opened for months. The owners were said to either be out chasing goods or visiting the village for the planting season or ensconced in some bush for religious reasons or even running from the police. There are however many with steady lives with whom I interact everyday and whom I will be telling you about.

My name is Ndifreke. I am a university graduate just arrived Lagos to hustle. I share a room with my thirty year old cousin named Mkpoikanna-Abasi, the pronunciation of which has set up many wrestling bouts down the years, due to his insistence that it be said to perfection, something people of other tribes cannot just wrap their tongues around. Someone had suggested that they simply called him Mkpo. That also drove him mad. So they just call him Calabar boy. He is a wharf rat and proudly so. His only passion in life is Manchester United. You’ll hear him say “This season we will win the league. Mourinho wins the league in his second season wherever he goes.”

For actual neighbors, I’ll start with my favourites. There is Irikefe, nineteen and timid looking but every mother’s nightmare as he is said to be the biggest threat to virginity this side of the equator. He is the son of the caretaker and an apprentice carpenter who everyone knows cannot handle a saw. You will always hear Irikefe say things like “Bros, I will be rich. Whether the devil likes it or not, my time will come.” Recently he has been saying “When I grow up, I want to be like Evans. I supported the free Evans hashtag on twitter. Why would they touch him when bigger criminals are roaming free in the Senate? Free Evans joor!” Then there is Mr Zubi, middle aged, impossibly dark with a knife scar one side of his face. He occupies one of the two self contained in the compound with his large family and we respect him because he does not have to share a bathroom with anyone. One day, his precocious ten year old son Willy-Willy came up to him and said “Daddy, is it true what bro Irikefe said that some of the Chibok girls refused to be rescued because of the rod of Moses they were receiving in the bush?”“Gerraway from here! Ewu Gambia!” he retorted with blazing eyes. The boy was lucky to duck in time as three menacing knuckles flew past his forehead”. The six sons of Mr Zubi always gave him cause to bellow “Ewu Gambia” about one hundred times a day. His wife is Mama Willy-Willy. You will hear her say things like “You see what I always say about those actors?! They are all promiscuous! I hear those two from The Wedding Party are getting married! How can they convince me it did not start on the set of the movie? Someone will now tell me all that kissing and touching and holding mean nothing. That it is just acting. Is a kiss no longer a kiss irrespective of the circumstance of administration? They started enjoying themselves from the movie set o jare! Today, they are husband and wife and nobody is talking about the poor boyfriend and girlfriend who were at home supporting their dreams while they were away fornicating on a ready-made excuse. Now those ones are brokenhearted and getting no sympathy.” She threw her right arm around her head in a wide circle and swore that thunder will fire any woman who would near her man in the guise of acting. Mr Zubi shifted uncomfortably in his seat. He was regularly bedecked as a monkey in NTA’s Tales by Moonlight in the 80’s and once landed a 20 seconds cameo as a cripple in a 90’s drama series. He swears that it was he who should have been casted in the lead role with Omotola Jalade in Mortal Inheritance in 96 and not Fred Amata. “He got there through nepotism! The Amatas controlled the industry back then.” He secretly dreams of a lead romantic role with Mercy Johnson. “Thunder will fire you before it happens” his wife had said when he mistakenly said it in his sleep one night. If you like, don’t get up and go to your civil service work.” There is also the neighbor Akunna. You will hear him say things like “this is a calamity of a democracy. Wastefulness, imbalance in every facet, and a mechanism for corruption humanity will see no greater. I don’t blame President Buhari. If I were him, I will not return from that London. Even the messiah cannot fix this nation. Light skinned and freckled in the face and in his forties, his only other problem is his wife. Recently he said to her “Serena Williams won a grand slam with eight months pregnancy! But two weeks after you have conceived another bastard I will not be able to enter my own house because of your nonsense squirming.” His four children were all dreadlocked and bore more than a passing semblance to Talabi the tailor who was dreadlocked since birth. Akunna did not hide the fact that he had been saving up for DNA tests sometime in the future. He also likes Arsenal. Perhaps losing was in his DNA.

And then there is Talabi. He is regarded as a hero in the neighborhood. When Alhaji Sirika would not give any of his resident tenants occupancy of the shops as he did not trust them with rent payment, Talabi led the cry of injustice for many years. When the Alhaji would not budge, he planted faeces in front of the four shops every night for one month until all the occupants of the shops fled. He took the best one for his tailoring business. The other three were occupied by Lukman the one eyed barber, Josiah the carpenter and the oni rice they called Mama Cowbell, all of whom were also resident at number 225. Other than Akunna’s wife, Talabi loved Chelsea FC, and being reigning champions, his feet barely touched the ground since the close season. The last neighbor I must mention at this point is Mr Cosmas. He occupies the second self contained and also does not share a bathroom and would naturally have our respect. But he is weird and says very uncomfortable things. Whenever a discussion veered towards religion, he always had something different to say. He famously said that Jesus did not die for our sins but was murdered for the truth he preached. He said we would all pay for everything we do as God cannot carry the sins of one child and put on the head of another. The less I say about Mr Cosmas the better. It’s just that he is not one to ignore.

I will continue my story next week. For now, I have to go and hustle. Cheers friends.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 9:07am On May 21, 2019
Aadetola1:
no you are not the only one,been trying it since.

It's resolved now guys. Thanks for your patience.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by icekidmuktar(m): 11:08am On May 21, 2019
wow finally caught up with the whole katakata drama, well done Oga centimo, I pray u don't get tired with us and I pray those witches don't over power papa Efe, THANK YOU
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 1:14pm On May 21, 2019
icekidmuktar:
wow finally caught up with the whole katakata drama, well done Oga centimo, I pray u don't get tired with us and I pray those witches don't over power papa Efe, THANK YOU

Welcome aboard icekidmuktar.

I dey follow you pray for all of the above cheesy
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by ChizzyMaris(f): 5:52am On May 22, 2019
Centino:

Very very good observations extremelygolden. Just the kind of stuff I want to hear now. The story is getting longer and the method of writing makes it is easy for gaping holes to appear. Will bear those in mind.

As for Ndi and Maya, theirs is not your regular Mills and Boons romance and they aren't Tonto and Churchill either. If the story had ended just when they had that modeling breakthrough, which would have been a perfect ending, maybe we would have been left with the kind of perfection people want to see in romance stories. Also because they are going to be there for as long as the story is told, they can't be that toxic as well otherwise we find a situation that is totally not plausible and we would then have to kill their characters like Talabi and Awero. Ndi is still naive, plus he had no idea what to do with himself when he thought he was losing Maya. He went from Evae to Josephine and fought his boss all because of his emotional immaturity. Getting back with Maya so quickly still follows that narrative. He isn't always going to remain that way. Maya right now is ahead of him experience-wise, but if you read closely, you will see that something else is definitely loading (some have seen that already). But in truth, some boys dey mumu for love grin
But tori still plenty. Stay tuned.

CC ChizzyMaris

Great
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by DrChukzy(m): 11:43am On May 22, 2019
Sezioha:
This is insanely good. Would love to work with you.

Can you please use your brain for once

why quote the whole article
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by shiftbutton: 2:57pm On May 22, 2019
@Centino, am I permitted to share ur story in a group on what'sapp I belong to?
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by eistien(m): 3:44pm On May 22, 2019
shiftbutton:
@Centino, am I permitted to share ur story in a group on what'sapp I belong to?

No, why not share his website to your group so they’ll read for themselves and also buy the book and create traffic to his site.

11 Likes

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by EkopSparoAyara(m): 3:49pm On May 22, 2019
eistien:

No, why not share his website to your group so they’ll read for themselves and also buy the book and create traffic to his site.

Good one...

2 Likes

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by EkopSparoAyara(m): 3:58pm On May 22, 2019
So Mama Tobi did escaped to live another day.... That was a good one... For a character such as Her's to die would have been a big blow to this story...Nice one Centino...

Mama Akunna is now feeling like a boss... Just wait until Papa Efe discovers what you were doing.... Just hold on..

...And Agbonyibo is coming back to Katakata... Let's see what Iniquity has to offer... It sounds like fun..

Maya and Ndifreke are back at it... I wonder what Ndifreke's reaction will be when he discovers that she lied to him... What people do for love eh...

BRAVO CENTINO

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by shiftbutton: 4:30pm On May 22, 2019
Thanks for responding on his behalf. The reason for my request is that when you read stories like this in small batches people are earger to read the next one. Do not forget the story is over 3 years old. So a story with a backlink to his book or site would probably do him good as some people would be too earger to be ahead of ur slow update in the group. Anyway without his express permission I will not.

eistien:

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by YINKS89(m): 6:09pm On May 22, 2019
ain't we gonna get something today centino ?
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by icekidmuktar(m): 6:47pm On May 22, 2019
Centino:

Welcome aboard icekidmuktar.

I dey follow you pray for all of the above cheesy
OK man, but the pencil and paper dey ur hand, continue dey use am well make ur hand no tire
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by BIGGIE121(m): 8:32pm On May 22, 2019
Centino aofa today na wednesday oo, this one wey we no see your green light wetin dey happen
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by eistien(m): 10:36pm On May 22, 2019
Oga centino hope everything is fine? the silence today is unsual.

Abi you join the special envoy wey go bring abon fine bobo back grin
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 7:58am On May 23, 2019
eistien:
Oga centino hope everything is fine? the silence today is unsual.

Abi you join the special envoy wey go bring abon fine bobo back grin

Later today man!
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by eistien(m): 8:56am On May 23, 2019
Centino:

Later today man!

Okay boss
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by unitysheart(m): 4:43pm On May 23, 2019
Centino:

Later today man!

Thanks boss, we are waiting.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by AceRoyal: 1:58pm On May 24, 2019
Centino:

Later today man!
Good job Centino but your word ought to be your bond and if I can't keep it, you should have also expressed it. I know you have a life outside this story but bleeps like this might make people to start losing interest if it continues. Especially now that you have your own website.

Lovely story, I'm one of your biggest fan. smiley
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 2:43pm On May 24, 2019
AceRoyal:

Good job Centino but your word ought to be your bond and if I can't keep it, you should have also expressed it. I know you have a life outside this story but bleeps like this might make people to start losing interest if it continues. Especially now that you have your own website.

Lovely story, I'm one of your biggest fan. smiley

My apologies. Had to battle life very unexpectedly. At least ask if I'm okay. Will try for Sunday. Hopefully the interest is still there then.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by diamler(m): 2:49pm On May 24, 2019
Hope everything is ok bruv.... Hope you are fine ?
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by AceRoyal: 3:41pm On May 24, 2019
Centino:

My apologies. Had to battle life very unexpectedly. At least ask if I'm okay. Will try for Sunday. Hopefully the interest is still there then.
Wish you a quick recovery Bro.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by HelenBee(f): 4:43pm On May 24, 2019
Centino, whatever it is you'll be fine. Take your time man, we're not going anywhere. Xoxo!

6 Likes

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Ann2012(f): 5:27pm On May 24, 2019
Centino:

God is your strength Bro, everything will fall in place for good.... cool
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Somzee(f): 6:29pm On May 24, 2019
Centino:

So sorry dear, whatever it is, you'll be fine!
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Rick9(m): 1:07pm On May 25, 2019
Still following

But i found it difficult to comment on the website.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by riclev: 3:06pm On May 25, 2019
me too
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Robnectar(m): 11:31pm On May 25, 2019
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 10:49am On May 26, 2019
Happy Sunday folks.

Latest update now posted.

https://katakatastreet.com/2019/05/26/agbonyakee-returns/

Very likely next midweek post will come on a day other than Wednesday so please keep checking.

For now, the saga continues.

Enjoy.

NB
Do remember guys, all rights to the story now reserved. No copying or posting anywhere else on the internet without the permission of the author. Permission I will no longer grant because I'd rather everyone read at katakatastreet.com Thanks.

9 Likes

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by eistien(m): 11:15am On May 26, 2019
Welcome back boss

Katakata street slowly morphing into a battlefield

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by joyberry(f): 11:39am On May 26, 2019
Centino:
Happy Sunday folks.

Latest update now posted.

https://katakatastreet.com/2019/05/26/agbonyakee-returns/

Very likely next midweek post will come on a day other than Wednesday so please keep checking.

For now, the saga continues.

Enjoy.

NB
Do remember guys, all rights to the story now reserved. No copying or posting anywhere else on the internet without the permission of the author. Permission I will no longer grant because I'd rather everyone read at katakatastreet.com Thanks.
Wow nice update as usual. Nice twist over and over again, just when u thought it cant get better it does.If the story was already completed i wont mind paying alot to get it. You are really a good writer Mr centino Thumbs up
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by debh(m): 12:06pm On May 26, 2019
oga boss.you too much

(1) (2) (3) ... (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) ... (263) (Reply)

Countless (a story of Sex, Betrayal and vengeance) by Darousmart Emmanuel.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.