Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,311 members, 7,808,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:54 AM

Number 225 Katakata Street - Literature (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Number 225 Katakata Street (1317647 Views)

[MUST READ] Welcome To Lagos: Danfo Palavas (very Funny) / Welcome To The US. / Welcome To My Street (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (263) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by surddick(m): 7:55am On Feb 19, 2018
Nice going bro
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 9:49am On Feb 19, 2018
kikiwendy:
Awwwwnn.. Nice story
This efe boy dey play with fire ni
Centino dear how are you doing?

I'm alright kikiwendy. Thanks kiss

Thanks y'all for the appreciation.

meetbalo:
Centino, are u not ndifreke again? Why are u not using the first-person naration any longer?

To better capture other POVs wink
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Cadec007(m): 11:04am On Feb 19, 2018
Chai centino u wont kill me with laff i started the story yesterday and i just caught up with you pple.......you are very talented nice story.............da òwö ndi follower ñfo idahado........hope you get?
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 1:08pm On Feb 19, 2018
Cadec007:
Chai centino u wont kill me with laff i started the story yesterday and i just caught up with you pple.......you are very talented nice story.............da òwö ndi follower ñfo idahado........hope you get?

Most definitely man! Welcome onboard. wink cheesy

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by ogyunging(m): 1:11pm On Feb 19, 2018
Lmao!!!!!! Here is a master piece. Encore! Encore!! Encore!!! *Patientlyfollowing*
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Cadec007(m): 1:45pm On Feb 19, 2018
Centino:

Most definitely man! Welcome onboard. wink cheesy
thanks bro
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 3:06pm On Feb 19, 2018
ogyunging:
Lmao!!!!!! Here is a master piece. Encore! Encore!! Encore!!! *Patientlyfollowing*

Welcome onboard wink
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by mekonglobal(m): 3:23pm On Feb 19, 2018
Hmmmm, Efe u may think that mama akunna has gather an ant infested firewood so she has called the lizards 2 a feast, while u are here dancing surugede, remember that surugede is the dance of the spirit.
Centino baba, fire on! nothing does u.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by UCcrownboy: 11:12pm On Feb 20, 2018
Efe, Efe, Efe! How many times did i call you, watch out for mama akunna, nice one Centino For President

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by helphelp: 7:24am On Feb 21, 2018
Centino:
MEET MY NEIGHBOURS

They managed to squeeze the twenty four room storey building and two self contained and four shops of number 225 Katakata Street into a plot of land that was formerly a swamp. No one knows the exact number of occupants of this building. People stream in and out at all hours like it was a shopping mall, except that here you will see men in only boxers with stiff erections bellowing greetings at neighbors in the morning from the top floor balcony while still rubbing their eyes, women clad in only wrappers around their breasts washing heavy lather from the heads of their children close to the gutter, the privileged shop owners spraying holy water with incantations round their business premises, and many other people being supremely busy within the compound while people continued to stream in and out of the building.

I had since given up hope of knowing all my neighbors. Even with the endless throng of occupants and all the in and out movements all year long, there were still rooms that were secured with large shiny padlocks that were never opened for months. The owners were said to either be out chasing goods or visiting the village for the planting season or ensconced in some bush for religious reasons or even running from the police. There are however many with steady lives with whom I interact everyday and whom I will be telling you about.

My name is Ndifreke. I am a university graduate just arrived Lagos to hustle. I share a room with my thirty year old cousin named Mkpoikanna-Abasi, the pronunciation of which has set up many wrestling bouts down the years, due to his insistence that it be said to perfection, something people of other tribes cannot just wrap their tongues around. Someone had suggested that they simply called him Mkpo. That also drove him mad. So they just call him Calabar boy. He is a wharf rat and proudly so. His only passion in life is Manchester United. You’ll hear him say “This season we will win the league. Mourinho wins the league in his second season wherever he goes.”

For actual neighbors, I’ll start with my favourites. There is Irikefe, nineteen and timid looking but every mother’s nightmare as he is said to be the biggest threat to virginity this side of the equator. He is the son of the caretaker and an apprentice carpenter who everyone knows cannot handle a saw. You will always hear Irikefe say things like “Bros, I will be rich. Whether the devil likes it or not, my time will come.” Recently he has been saying “When I grow up, I want to be like Evans. I supported the free Evans hashtag on twitter. Why would they touch him when bigger criminals are roaming free in the Senate? Free Evans joor!” Then there is Mr Zubi, middle aged, impossibly dark with a knife scar one side of his face. He occupies one of the two self contained in the compound with his large family and we respect him because he does not have to share a bathroom with anyone. One day, his precocious ten year old son Willy-Willy came up to him and said “Daddy, is it true what bro Irikefe said that some of the Chibok girls refused to be rescued because of the rod of Moses they were receiving in the bush?”“Gerraway from here! Ewu Gambia!” he retorted with blazing eyes. The boy was lucky to duck in time as three menacing knuckles flew past his forehead”. The six sons of Mr Zubi always gave him cause to bellow “Ewu Gambia” about one hundred times a day. His wife is Mama Willy-Willy. You will hear her say things like “You see what I always say about those actors?! They are all promiscuous! I hear those two from The Wedding Party are getting married! How can they convince me it did not start on the set of the movie? Someone will now tell me all that kissing and touching and holding mean nothing. That it is just acting. Is a kiss no longer a kiss irrespective of the circumstance of administration? They started enjoying themselves from the movie set o jare! Today, they are husband and wife and nobody is talking about the poor boyfriend and girlfriend who were at home supporting their dreams while they were away fornicating on a ready-made excuse. Now those ones are brokenhearted and getting no sympathy.” She threw her right arm around her head in a wide circle and swore that thunder will fire any woman who would near her man in the guise of acting. Mr Zubi shifted uncomfortably in his seat. He was regularly bedecked as a monkey in NTA’s Tales by Moonlight in the 80’s and once landed a 20 seconds cameo as a cripple in a 90’s drama series. He swears that it was he who should have been casted in the lead role with Omotola Jalade in Mortal Inheritance in 96 and not Fred Amata. “He got there through nepotism! The Amatas controlled the industry back then.” He secretly dreams of a lead romantic role with Mercy Johnson. “Thunder will fire you before it happens” his wife had said when he mistakenly said it in his sleep one night. If you like, don’t get up and go to your civil service work.” There is also the neighbor Akunna. You will hear him say things like “this is a calamity of a democracy. Wastefulness, imbalance in every facet, and a mechanism for corruption humanity will see no greater. I don’t blame President Buhari. If I were him, I will not return from that London. Even the messiah cannot fix this nation. Light skinned and freckled in the face and in his forties, his only other problem is his wife. Recently he said to her “Serena Williams won a grand slam with eight months pregnancy! But two weeks after you have conceived another bastard I will not be able to enter my own house because of your nonsense squirming.” His four children were all dreadlocked and bore more than a passing semblance to Talabi the tailor who was dreadlocked since birth. Akunna did not hide the fact that he had been saving up for DNA tests sometime in the future. He also likes Arsenal. Perhaps losing was in his DNA.

And then there is Talabi. He is regarded as a hero in the neighborhood. When Alhaji Sirika would not give any of his resident tenants occupancy of the shops as he did not trust them with rent payment, Talabi led the cry of injustice for many years. When the Alhaji would not budge, he planted faeces in front of the four shops every night for one month until all the occupants of the shops fled. He took the best one for his tailoring business. The other three were occupied by Lukman the one eyed barber, Josiah the carpenter and the oni rice they called Mama Cowbell, all of whom were also resident at number 225. Other than Akunna’s wife, Talabi loved Chelsea FC, and being reigning champions, his feet barely touched the ground since the close season. The last neighbor I must mention at this point is Mr Cosmas. He occupies the second self contained and also does not share a bathroom and would naturally have our respect. But he is weird and says very uncomfortable things. Whenever a discussion veered towards religion, he always had something different to say. He famously said that Jesus did not die for our sins but was murdered for the truth he preached. He said we would all pay for everything we do as God cannot carry the sins of one child and put on the head of another. The less I say about Mr Cosmas the better. It’s just that he is not one to ignore.

I will continue my story next week. For now, I have to go and hustle. Cheers friends.

Awesome read for the morning.

You can monetize your writings through okadabooks.

Just follow @okadabooks

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by hotswagg12: 11:18am On Feb 21, 2018
helphelp:

Awesome read for the morning.

You can monetize your writings through okadabooks.

Just follow @okadabooks
pls you guys should not bring that your nonsense Okadabooks here. Almost all stories on nairaland get abandoned and taking to Okadabooks. You better keep it to yourself and allow centino to finish this story here.

4 Likes

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by kokosin: 5:58pm On Feb 21, 2018
Best read so far..

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Kaycee9242(m): 10:24pm On Feb 21, 2018
Wow! Centino dis is fantastic I av not done any oda tin today apart from reading ur story, u are too good abeg mention me in ur next update. U too much bro
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by sussybae(f): 7:25pm On Feb 22, 2018
hotswagg12:
pls you guys should not bring that your nonsense Okadabooks here. Almost all stories on nairaland get abandoned and taking to Okadabooks. You better keep it to yourself and allow centino to finish this story here.
I support you
centino pls don't mind them

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by donblazer10(m): 7:43pm On Feb 22, 2018
hotswagg12:
lol..okadabooks is where most writers get paid for their talent..I won't blame him if he decides to carry the story over there cos this masterpiece deserves to be bought before being read..so you guys should stop complaining and get your stingy asses over to okadabooks and support these guys...
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Nextlevel10: 11:24am On Feb 23, 2018
Well done Centino. Should we expect update soon?
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 2:17pm On Feb 23, 2018
Nextlevel10:
Well done Centino. Should we expect update soon?

Yes. Sunday.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by alphaconde(m): 3:06pm On Feb 23, 2018
@CENTINO THIS WOULD PASS FOR A SOAP OPERA ALREADY SPANNING MONTHS

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 3:44pm On Feb 23, 2018
alphaconde:
@CENTINO THIS WOULD PASS FOR A SOAP OPERA ALREADY SPANNING MONTHS

help turn it into one na grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by alphaconde(m): 4:13pm On Feb 23, 2018
Centino:

help turn it into one na grin grin grin

lol am waiting continue and end it first

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 7:24pm On Feb 23, 2018
alphaconde:

lol am waiting continue and end it first

e go tey.

tori plenty.

unless okadabooks fit catch me grin grin grin
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by tsharp(m): 10:30pm On Feb 23, 2018
Okadabooks holy ghost fire!!!!!!!!! undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by fioky(m): 7:35am On Feb 24, 2018
oga o,,,nice one,but abeg update soon @centino
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by arinzevictor(m): 3:09pm On Feb 24, 2018
That person that quoted the whole episode one just to comment I think you need brain transplant

3 Likes

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Nobody: 7:02pm On Feb 24, 2018
This is raw talent. Kudos.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 12:19pm On Feb 25, 2018
Kaycee9242. As requested wink Where is my Preetiex mbok? nkay2020, you too fashied me. INDUSTRIALFAN...issorait. jagugu88li (We went to front page again after your comment) correct babe cheesy, sheycrown, kikiwendy, how nau?

EXILE

She met him already perched on the roof.

“I thought you were not coming.”

“I had to.”

“Are you really afraid of them?”

“Yes.”

“But you always said fear was an impediment.”

“Not this kind of fear.”

“What kind of fear is this?”

“I am afraid that they are not afraid anymore.”

“But it is just Irikefe and his father. How about the others?”

“It is still too soon.”

“Then you are really afraid.”

“Yes I am.”

“So what will we be doing now?”

“We can’t change our nature. We will continue to do our thing. But I am not yet ready to go back.”

“Then why did you come out tonight?”

“I needed to think. I can’t think clearly in my body.”

“It’s the boy Irikefe right?”

“Yes.”

“We should kill him right?”

“Yes.”

“But not without his help right?”

“Yes, not without his help.”

“That is easy. He is reckless.”

“I know.”

“How should we do it?”

“Dispatch him through a weakness I know. He likes money. He wants to be rich tomorrow. I can set a trap for him and he will let down his guard so I can afflict him. But I want him to die slowly and painfully. I want him to see my face every day during sleep and wakefulness for a year before he passes away.”

“What was he thinking acting like that?”

“He who the gods want to destroy they first make mad.”

“True.”

“So what will you do?”

“I think I know what I will do.”

“Tell me.”

“Not yet.”

“Okay.”

“Thanks for not insisting.”

“I trust you, that’s why.”

“Good.”

“How about Maya?”

“Visit her and find out what she has in mind.”

“We are still taking the baby right?”

“Of course.”

“When are we doing that?”

“There’s still time. At the middle of pregnancy when the baby is about to have its first kick, that is when the spirit enters the forming body. I will send one of my sisters in.”

“So she will have a girl?”

“Yes. Girls are more loyal to the cause. You when you grow up and start pursuing women, one will catch you and take you to a church and they will deliver you like Jim Iyke. Then all this training I am giving you will be wasted. But a girl, instead of them to deliver her she will bring me ten pastors.”

He chuckled and said, “They will never deliver me.”

She ignored him and said, “Nowadays, putting the perfect soul inside them is so much easier. They don’t only parade about with their pregnancies and wear so-called sexy clothes, they take pictures and put it on facebook. They do not know that there is a reason our mothers used to hide and hide us from people at certain stages of pregnancy. They knew a being would incarnate in the growing foetus and they took the precaution to ensure foul spirits don’t get attracted by association. But now, even I can easily get to them in broad daylight and stroke their tummies. And yet they wonder why there are black sheep in seemingly perfect families or people who are not better than the vilest animals in behaviours and inclinations parading themselves as human beings. It is they who open the door for these ones to come in.”

He chuckled and said, “So Maya gets a daughter who will, in fact, be your sister who is like us waiting to return.”

“Correct.”

“How do we make certain the sex of the baby?”

"That is already taken care of by nature. I was hoping they had sex the day they did. It was three days to her ovulation. The sperm doesn’t swim that fast by the time the egg arrives. 90% chance it becomes a girl. It was a long shot but it happened. We were always in luck.”

“I see.”

They were quiet for a minute then he said “So no action tonight?”

“Go to Maya if you must, but don’t make a fuss. You just want to go and read her mind. We must let everyone forget about our existence for a while. No one will show marks of having been scratched, no stories of having been pressed in their sleep, nothing. Let Irikefe and his father believe they have won, and then he will make his mistake. I also need to get close to Maya and be nice to her. After tonight, no more bad dreams for her so she does not go and live in a church. We will have to stay close, for when she will be ready to receive the new soul.”

Achike turned to Mama Tobi and said, “Is it real pregnant that she is pregnant or the type she was pregnant when that monkey came to marry her?”

“Achike, there she is, ask her.”

“But Mama Tobi…”

“Shey the first thing I asked you was whether you live in this compound?”

“Yes ma.”

“Why do you think I asked you that?”

“Because of the rumours that that new calabar boy is disturbing her.”

“Rumours abi? And disturb. Okay” she sneered, and slapped a mould of fufu on the celophone on her hand and wrapped expertly and threw into the basin by her side.

“Please ma can you find out for me if she is serious or not?”

Achike had been good to her today, even though she now sees that he had had an ulterior motive all along. Nevertheless he had done work worth more than N5,000 for her. The least she could do was to be civil with him.

“Alright. I will ask her. Thanks again for your help.”

Achike stood and scratched his head, not quite sure what to do next. But clearly he had been dismissed, he would go and buy aboniki balm and rub on his waist after having a bath. So all that fufu turning was for nothing, he thought, as he went back to his room. That Calabar boy just came and ruined his life!

Maya came out of the room red eyed and said to her mum “What did that man want?”

Her mother looked up at her and shook her head.

“I said what did he want?”

“He wants to marry you. But he has come too late. Shebi Calabar preek was sweeting you? Now that it has happened, where is he? Ntoiiii!” she said pulling down her lower eye lids and eposing watery pink skin. “Did I not tell you?”

“I will marry him.”

Mama Tobi stopped dead.

“What?”

“I will marry brother Achike if he will have me like this.”

Mama Tobi could see that her daughter was broken. It was the only reason she would be saying something so stupid. She had once been young and in love, and she had seen the Calabar boy in question. There was no woman who would not fall for the boy. But then, a good erection did not make a man, and her poor daughter had just found that out. She should not be too hard on her girl she reasoned. She was not the first and would not be the last to be in that kind of situation. So she washed her hands and stood up and held Maya, who fell in to her arms and wept.

Irikefe opened the door and found his father seated on the armchair and staring straight at him. He knew his father. He knew he was in trouble.

“Irikefe!”

“Papa.”

“Irikefe!”

“Papa.”

“Irikefe!”

“Papa”

“How many times I call you?”

“Three times papa.”

“Wetin dey worry you for head?”

“Nothing Papa.”

“Nothing ehn?”

“Yes nothing Papa.”

Papa Efe stood up and held Irikefe by his belt and brought his face closer to his son’s.

“I think say you don grow up. I no know that you still dey very stupid.”

“What do you mean Papa?”

“What I tell you about Mama Akunna?”

Irikefe suddenly went limp.

“You know what you don do?”

“I didn’t do anything Papa.”

With that, Papa Efe planted his knuckles on Irikefe’s head and his eyes shook in their sockets as he fell on the bed.

“What I tell you about that woman?”

“You said we should not humiliate her.”

“What you come do?”

“Papa I…”

“Person no dey use tail of tiger to fan him body. Pack your things now. I dey send you to Warri for one year.”

TO BE CONTINUED

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by space01: 12:43pm On Feb 25, 2018
I must confess, I have been a ghost follower. Weldon Sir. Plzz kindly come and continue what you have started. Pllzzzz. I kept looking at my phone every minute. Thanks. Yours faithfully
Ghost followers association. [color=#990000][/color]
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by stainless239(f): 1:26pm On Feb 25, 2018
Wow!!!

I am short of words...
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 2:33pm On Feb 25, 2018
space01:
I must confess, I have been a ghost follower. Weldon Sir. Plzz kindly come and continue what you have started. Pllzzzz. I kept looking at my phone every minute. Thanks. Yours faithfully
Ghost followers association. [color=#990000][/color]

grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (263) (Reply)

Countless (a story of Sex, Betrayal and vengeance) by Darousmart Emmanuel.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.