Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,689 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:26 PM

Nigerian Software Exchange - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Nigerian Software Exchange (1441 Views)

Nigerians have issues accepting Nigerian software (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Software Exchange by EasyWare(m): 8:26am On Jan 29, 2010
OK guys, here's the deal:

We are a country of 150million people, yet we run to China for our basic software needs.

We have large groups of jobless area boys roaming our cities, yet we outsource out IT work to barely literate Indian developers.

The biggest irony of this is that there are many excellent Nigerian software developers working in other countries all over the world.

Software development is not just some vague activity carried out by anti-social geeks in darkened rooms. It affects every facet of our lives and helps improve our lives immeasurably.

Without a robust software industry, Nigeria will remain underdeveloped. However, If India can build a powerful software industry in a few years, Nigeria can do the same. But the work has to start here - with people like you and me.

I hope we can start a group/organisation which will to help develop a strong Nigerian Software industry. Please try to join and support the group or pass this information on to a friend who might find it useful.

The aims of the group will be:

- To help develop the Nigerian Software Industry.
- To give Nigerians the capability to meet it's own software requirements.
- To help create cutting-edge software specifically for the Nigerian market.
- To train, advice and mentor a new generation of software developers.
- To bring together Nigerian developers from all over the world.
- To marry good ideas with relevant software developers (some people have excellent ideas but not the ability to build the software)

If you think they should be modified or that I have omitted something important, feel free to suggest amendments.

This group aims to be both a commercial and social-economic tool. We hope that people active in this group would help create commercially profitable ventures while at the same time bringing jobs to Nigerians and technological development to the country.

Can I start the group by giving out a free copy of a Nigerian-based Human Resources Software product. This version is the "Lite" version and targets small companies (with staff of not more than 30). Please let me know if you are interested in the more powerful "Enterprise" versions, or any other software products that you think will be of use to Nigerians.

Direct download Link: http://www.easyware-ng.com/downloads/hrm_lite_3_002_evaluation.exe

Further info: http://www.easyware-ng.com/human_resources.html

Re: Nigerian Software Exchange by AjanleKoko: 8:00pm On Feb 10, 2010
Nice post.
I was even more surprised to see that nobody had even responded!
I like the idea. I'm sort of a retired software person myself. Worked as a programmer and business analyst, now a product manager in wireless comms. Still very much involved in the software business though. However, I think it will take time. Nigeria is a kind of chaotic place right now, and there is no way that will not rub off on Nigerians. Industrialization is quite low, though higher than most parts of Africa.
What's your vision for this 'software exchange'? Sharing software? Not too sure Nigeria is ready for that right now. We need to learn the software business and how to sell software first, I think.
Re: Nigerian Software Exchange by Afam(m): 8:07am On Feb 11, 2010
Is this software of yours developed locally? If yes then where are we being asked to pay in dollars using 2CO?

We need to be clear on what local software development entails. Agents or marketers of foreign software cannot claim to be local software developers.

Just tell us the facts.
Re: Nigerian Software Exchange by akenzuaII(m): 10:50pm On Feb 11, 2010
Great Idea,

I will have to play the devil's advocate here. Do you know where the key growth in software starts from? It starts from the schools, the universities etc. Its here that programming legends are born.

I do not see how starting a group will benefit Nigeria - rather we need experience programmers to develop robust software that can compete globally with Indian and Chinese equivalents. Of course without our industry using the products we have no place to market them.

I have not installed your software but it seems you are trying to sell a product rather than start a group - I have no problem with that but your motives seems translucent.

Nice website by the way.
Re: Nigerian Software Exchange by EasyWare(m): 11:33am On Feb 16, 2010
Hi Ajanlekoko,

Thanks for your message. Yes, it is a shame that there are hardly any replies to the post. If you look at titles like
"Can You Forgive Your Wife If She Delivers Another Man's Baby?" OR "Brother-In-Law Slaps Wife" you will see that they have many responses. There is nothing wrong with people liking mundane stuff, but surely we should get a few serious people in Nairaland, Maybe we will have to start our own forum. Watch this space.

"Software Exchange", no, the name might sund cnfusing, but it had nothing to do with exchanging software. It is just a whole project to develop Nigeria's software industry and in the process help develop the country as a whole.
We have our site up and running now. Check us out at: www.software-ng.com

@Akenzua:

You said: "I do not see how starting a group will benefit Nigeria - rather we need experience programmers to develop robust software that can compete globally with Indian and Chinese equivalents, " well, that is exactly what the group is trying to do! Please read the groups aims before condemning it!

"I have not installed your software but it seems you are trying to sell a product rather than start a group , " there is a commercial [as well as social] element to this. We have not denied it. Again please read the group before you make judgement. As a matter of fact, that is just one of the many software projects we are launching.

In any case, i am not surprised by your comments. History shows that whenever someone comes up with a noble idea, there are always naysayers and doubting Thomases waiting to bring the person down.

That notwithstanding, I remain undeterred in my goal.
Re: Nigerian Software Exchange by akenzuaII(m): 3:51pm On Feb 16, 2010
EasyWare:

"Software Exchange",  no, the name might sund cnfusing, but it had nothing to do with exchanging software. It is just a whole project to develop Nigeria's software industry and in the process help develop the country as a whole.
We have our site up and running now. Check us out at: www.software-ng.com

I see nothing wrong with developing Nigeria's software industry, I am just at a loss as to why Nigeria needs it's own particular portal, my point which you have failed to grasped is that, we live in a global village - we cannot shield ourselvesfrom the world. What say you about the Ghanaian or Kenyan software guru who has a killer product? Do you preclude him in the name of developing Nigeria's software industry?

I am trying to say your vision is too narrow - do you see any Indian software group, Scottish software group, Brazil software group? I do not see how an exclusive Nigerian Software group will benefit Nigeria - but thats for you to argue your point and defend, afterall it is your idea.

If on the other hand, you decided to train and nurture and administer a KNOWLEDGE forum, to foster excellent software development skills and pass on know-how then I will be behind you 1000%.

EasyWare:

In any case, i am not surprised by your comments. History shows that whenever someone comes up with a noble idea, there are always naysayers and doubting Thomases waiting to bring the person down.

That notwithstanding, I remain undeterred in my goal.

With regards to your quote above - you are way too sensitive for my liking - I am entitled to my opinion and also to express it any which way I see fit (as long as it is not offensive) but you should re-iterate with an educated reply, have a debate - I have nothing against you. If you think my simple words are to "bring you down" then you give my words way too much importance.
Re: Nigerian Software Exchange by akenzuaII(m): 3:56pm On Feb 16, 2010
Oh and just for good measure - please see this from another topic:

"AfriHUB is organizing a scholarship programme to get ICT training in professional courses such as CCNA, OCA, OCP, MCSE, PMP e.t.c. AfriHUB's mission is to provide the critical combination of infrastructure, services and training, along with American-style management and service quality, required to unleash the power of Information and Communications Technologies ("ICT"wink in Nigeria and other African countries for human capacity building and economic empowerment.

Visit www.afrihub.com/scholarship to register online
."

Now who can argue against that (apart from the stuff about American-style Management, but thats another story)
Re: Nigerian Software Exchange by AjanleKoko: 10:06am On Feb 17, 2010
akenzua_II:

I see nothing wrong with developing Nigeria's software industry, I am just at a loss as to why Nigeria needs it's own particular portal, my point which you have failed to grasped is that, we live in a global village - we cannot shield ourselvesfrom the world. What say you about the Ghanaian or Kenyan software guru who has a killer product? Do you preclude him in the name of developing Nigeria's software industry?

umm. . . I think I disagree there.
Part of why Nigeria's software industry has not developed is that it hasn't even made any progress in the Nigerian market.
We are not Kenyans or Ghanaians, are we? I think we can still have a software exchange, and developers can come on board and promote their work, either commercially or for educational purposes.
Methinks a vibrant local industry will naturally lead to prominence in the African market at the very least.
Re: Nigerian Software Exchange by eosho: 11:16pm On Mar 09, 2010

(1) (Reply)

Do We All Remember This Bed "Made In Aba"? Find Below The Real PIX / Have You Seen This New Solar Panel That Replaces Your Roof With Solar Panels? / [infographic] The Evolution Of Cameras On Samsung Mobile Phones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.