Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,825 members, 7,802,634 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:56 PM

Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? (2183 Views)

Remi: Tinubu's BP Shot Up Last Nite; It Was Shock Induced - Doctor / Dig And Post All South West Cheastbeating Threads Here- Pre Crude Oil Price Fall / Obasanjo Finally Replies Iyabo, Says She Was Induced To Do ‘dirty Job’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by adigun101: 1:45am On Jan 30, 2010
You can report tribalistic threads to the moderator and let him/her take appropriate action.
Im kind of amazed at comments people getting away with and how they were beginning to poison my mind.

I agree that Nigeria is a highly fragmented society, but this forum should be a medium to solve problems not enable them.
If things do not improve, I would have to leave for good!

Believe me, you all on this forum will have a lot to lose if I do !
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by EzeUche(m): 1:48am On Jan 30, 2010
adigun101:

You can report tribalistic threads to the moderator and let him/her take appropriate action.
Im kind of amazed at comments people getting away with and how they were beginning to poison my mind.

I agree that Nigeria is a highly fragmented society, but this forum should be a medium to solve problems not enable them.

I know what you mean. Those type of tribalistic threads were starting to poison my mind. I understand pride in ones group, but you do not have mock another group.

Igbos and Yorubas have a lot to learn about each other. We come from two distinct cultures and that is the beauty of our two people. We are very proud of our roots. grin
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by chiogo(f): 1:53am On Jan 30, 2010
EzeUche:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ethnocentrism

This is where I got the definition. That is why I said there is no difference between tribalism and ethnocentrism. Both words represent people who think of themselves as better than other groups.
Hmm, I don't see the same definitions elsewhere. Usually, there's no air of superiority involved in tribalism. But okay, whatever your dictionary says.

EzeUche:

I will call a spade a spade. You are just as tribalistic/ethnocentric as the people you battle daily on these threads.
I agree.
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by SEFAGO(m): 2:01am On Jan 30, 2010
EzeUche:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ethnocentrism

This is where I got the definition. That is why I said there is no difference between tribalism and ethnocentrism. Both words represent people who think of themselves as better than other groups.

I will call a spade a spade. You are just as tribalistic/ethnocentric as the people you battle daily on these threads.

No mugun, you are calling a shovel a spade grin grin grin

Please one ethnocentric thread I have started. Do you want me to quote previous posts of yours that do exactly the same thing I am doing? People cause trouble then they start screaming saint obi grin

I am what I am and I usually am aware of my intentions
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by SEFAGO(m): 2:02am On Jan 30, 2010
chiogo:

I agree.

Who asked u to agree? Please observe an compute your activity on these threads and u too wuld understand that controversy sells grin
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by SEFAGO(m): 2:05am On Jan 30, 2010
@EzeUche

By the way count how many times on NL I have displayed any pride of my pseudo ethnic origin. Now count how many of your previous posts have shown ethnic pride. You are ethnocentric. Most of what you say is my Igbo brother and the yorubas "Them vs. Us"

Something i don't do, I just keep the flame alive grin
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by chiogo(f): 2:06am On Jan 30, 2010
SEFAGO:

Who asked u to agree? Please observe an compute your activity on these threads and u too wuld understand that controversy sells grin
What's there to sell? It's Nairaland.  undecided
I usually laugh at such threads or throw in one-liners that suggest the poster is ignorant.  tongue
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by Katsumoto: 2:07am On Jan 30, 2010
adigun101:

Believe me, you all on this forum will have a lot to lose if I do !

Why don't you tell us what we would lose if you stopped visiting. Who are you by the way?
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by ChinenyeN(m): 2:38am On Jan 30, 2010
EzeUche, I feel that you're misinterpreting those definitions. "To Exalt" simply means "to honor" or "to hold in high esteem". Honoring or holding in high esteem do not equate to a sense of superiority. So, tribalism is simply expressing tribal consciousness and loyalty by honoring one's culture and people, or holding them in high esteem. Ethnocentrism though, is the intentional view that one's culture and people are superior. Ethnocentrism is using one's group standards as a way to judge other groups, because one feels that one's group standards are qualitatively better than those of other groups. So ethnocentrism and tribalism are not the same. One can be tribal without being ethnocentric.
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by Katsumoto: 2:51am On Jan 30, 2010
ChinenyeN:

EzeUche, I feel that you're misinterpreting those definitions. "To Exalt" simply means "to honor" or "to hold in high esteem". Honoring or holding in high esteem do not equate to a sense of superiority. So, tribalism is simply expressing tribal consciousness and loyalty by honoring one's culture and people, or holding them in high esteem. Ethnocentrism though, is the intentional view that one's culture and people are superior. Ethnocentrism is using one's group standards as a way to judge other groups, because one feels that one's group standards are qualitatively better than those of other groups. So ethnocentrism and tribalism are not the same. One can be tribal without being ethnocentric.

Regardless of how you define both terms, there is nothing wrong in being proud of one's tribe or race. The problem starts when certain individuals feel that they need to put other tribes down so as to elevate theirs. Each tribe has its own culture, advantages, disadvantages, etc.
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by SEFAGO(m): 3:00am On Jan 30, 2010
Katsumoto:

Regardless of how you define both terms, there is nothing wrong in being proud of one's tribe or race. The problem starts when certain individuals feel that they need to put other tribes down so as to elevate theirs. Each tribe has its own culture, advantages, disadvantages, etc.

Yeah i think ethnic superiority is the problem. But also nepotism. I have a problem with ethnic nepotism in which people favor others based on their ethnic group.
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by ChinenyeN(m): 3:07am On Jan 30, 2010
Katsumoto:

That's somewhat the point I was making in my first post.

(1) (2)

Gov. Peter Obi Is Leading Despite Inec's Gimmicks! / Libya: Case Study- Nigeria Civil War (allied Intervention) / Why Cant Igbos Stay Back, Save Themselves And Develope Their Region?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.