Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,202 members, 7,807,683 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:19 PM

5 Nigerian To Be Jailed On Thursday In UK Over £10m Scam - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 5 Nigerian To Be Jailed On Thursday In UK Over £10m Scam (1127 Views)

U.S Woman To Be Jailed For Fake $1500 Marriage With Nigerian / Romanian Immigrant Arrives UK On Friday, Steals On Saturday, Jailed On Monday / Nigerian 'Yahoo' Boy Sentenced To Jail In UK Over Credit Card Fraud. Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Nigerian To Be Jailed On Thursday In UK Over £10m Scam by lovere: 11:20am On Jul 01, 2017
A group of Nigerian fraudsters who are facing trial in the United Kingdom for theft of over £10 million will be jailed next week Thursday in Britain.

Two of the six-member gang were said to have fled to Nigeria in order to escape justice. One of them will be jailed in absentia.

Commissioner of Police in charge of Interpol in Nigeria, Mr Shola Subair told Saturday Tribune on Friday in Abuja that his office regularly received many requests from the UK and would need time to confirm if the request for the arrest and extradition of the two fleeing gang members who were said to be husband and wife had been received. He asked our reporter to come on Monday for confirmation.

The gang, according to the Daily Mail of UK stole personal details of members of the British Parliament, judges and police officers from the Civil Service Sports Council (CSSC), to make fraudulent claims over a four-year period.

Simon York, Director of Fraud Investigation Service at UK’s Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC), was quoted as saying: ‘We have dismantled an organised criminal attack on the tax credits system. HMRC officers and our counter-fraud checks identified the attack, and our investigators uncovered those behind the fraud, preventing £8 million of false claims being paid to the criminals. A further £2.4 million in tax credits claimed by the fraudsters was paid before we could stop the crime group and prevent further fraud.

‘Tax Credits are paid to some of the most vulnerable people in our society. We have to strike a balance between making it easy for people to receive what is due, and having procedures in place to identify and stop fraudulent claims. Our investigation was made more difficult as the criminals had hijacked real identity details to make the fraudulent claims.’

Member lists were ‘stolen to order’ from CSSC and used to place orders for tax credit starter packs used in fraudulent claims over a four year period.

The gang managed to get away with nearly £2,500,000 before staff at Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs spotted the ‘extraordinarily high rate’ of claims being made by civil servants.

If the scam had not been stopped it could have reaped more than £10,260,525.

The fraudsters are facing jail for for using the identities of MPs, judges and police officers during a £10million scam.

The crew stole personal details from the Civil Service Sports Council (CSSC), to make fraudulent claims over a four-year period.

Member lists were ‘stolen to order’ from CSSC and used to place orders for tax credit starter packs used in fraudulent claims over a four year period.

The gang managed to get away with nearly £2,500,000 before staff at Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs spotted the ‘extraordinarily high rate’ of claims being made by civil servants.

If the scam had not been stopped it could have reaped more than £10,260,525.

CSSC events manager Adedamola Oyebode, 30, stole membership lists and passed them on to her brothers-in-law Oluwatobe Emmanuel Odeyemi, 34, and Oluwagbenga Stephen Odeyemi, 39, who ran the fraud with Kayode Sanni, 38.

Sanni, an illegal immigrant, denied being involved in the fraud and told Old Bailey jurors ‘my conscience is clear’ as he stood trial alone.

But he was convicted of one count of conspiracy to become knowingly concerned in a fraudulent act between 10 March 2009 and 11 June 2013.

Judge Michael Topolski QC remanded him in custody and said: ‘I’m quite satisfied at this stage that there is a significant risk that if he were released on bail he would fail to attend.

‘In my judgement the situation has changed drastically.

‘He chose to contest this matter against what I considered to be overwhelming evidence.

‘His incentive to stay in this country has now diminished.’

Emmanuel Odeyemi, Gumbs and Adedamole Oyebode have already pleaded guilty and will be sentenced with Sanni at the Old Bailey on 6 July.

Prosecutors have dropped charges against Emmanuel’s wife Oluwatosin Oyebode.

Prosecutor Allison Hunter QC said: ‘These defendants went to exceptionally complex and sophisticated lengths in their orchestration of this fraud.

‘They themselves operate under a number of fluid pseudonyms and false identities, operate a multiplicity of email address, have access to a number of mobile phone numbers and have spread the conduct of this fraud over computers and electronic storage devices sufficient to stock a small warehouse.’

Ms Hunter said the investigators began by identifying one of the multiple false tax credit claimants as Chantelle Gumbs, who has admitted her part in the scam.

The source of the stolen identity was traced to the CSSC in Chadwick Street, Westminster, where six staff had password protected access to members’ details.

Adedamole Oyebode, who worked for the CSSC between August 2008 and August 2010, has since admitted supplying lists of members and their details in return for payment.

She also made calls to the tax credit helpline to obtain application packs.

Further investigation revealed the fraudsters had used the details to create false identities, buy online insurance and open false bank accounts to receive the cash.

The profits of the scam were then transferred out into either their own accounts or through Western Union facilities set up by Sanni and Emmanuel Odeyemi.

Jurors were told that two of the gang, Stephen Odeyemi and his wife Oluwatumininu Banjo, 40, have fled to Nigeria and are wanted abroad.

Ms Hunter said: ‘These individuals conspired together to obtain in excess of £10,260,525.33 in fraudulent tax credits using the identities of 10,300 police officers, MPs, members of the judiciary, and civil servants for example, whose personal data and information was stolen from the Civil Service Sports Council.

‘The CSSC provides leisure events and activities together with sporting and fitness facilities to approximately 120,000 Public Sector employees or pensioners, including civil servants, local government employees, the NHS, teachers, police officers, fire fighters and HM Armed Forces personnel.’

Sanni, from Leeds, denied but conspiracy to become knowingly concerned in a fraudulent act – but was convicted of the crime.

Adedamola Oyebode, from Bellingham, southeast London, Stephen Odeyimi from Dagenham, Ess3x and Chantelle Gumbs, will be sentenced alongside him for fraud charges on 6 July at the Old Bailey.

Oluwatumininu Banjo, also from Dagenham, and Emmanuel Odeyemi, from Gravesend, Kent, are believed to be on the run in Nigeria.

Simon York, Director of Fraud Investigation Service at HMRC, said: ‘We have dismantled an organised criminal attack on the tax credits system. HMRC officers and our counter-fraud checks identified the attack, and our investigators uncovered those behind the fraud, preventing £8 million of false claims being paid to the criminals. A further £2.4 million in tax credits claimed by the fraudsters was paid before we could stop the crime group and prevent further fraud.

‘Tax Credits are paid to some of the most vulnerable people in our society. We have to strike a balance between making it easy for people to receive what is due, and having procedures in place to identify and stop fraudulent claims. Our investigation was made more difficult as the criminals had hijacked real identity details to make the fraudulent claims.’

http://tribuneonlineng.com/5-nigerian-jailed-thursday-uk-10m-scam/

Re: 5 Nigerian To Be Jailed On Thursday In UK Over £10m Scam by smartty68(m): 11:21am On Jul 01, 2017
These developers ain't giving up crime anytime soon undecided

What's f**king wrong with Nigerians abroad cry

Mtchewww

Their jail better pass some of our homes sef grin
Re: 5 Nigerian To Be Jailed On Thursday In UK Over £10m Scam by lovere: 11:21am On Jul 01, 2017
Nigerians keep tarnishing our image. it does not really matter the tribe so far you have Nigerian passport.
Re: 5 Nigerian To Be Jailed On Thursday In UK Over £10m Scam by TroubleMaker47(m): 11:21am On Jul 01, 2017
A judiciary that works!
Not media trials
Re: 5 Nigerian To Be Jailed On Thursday In UK Over £10m Scam by smartty68(m): 11:23am On Jul 01, 2017
Lalasticlala won't like this lipsrsealed
Re: 5 Nigerian To Be Jailed On Thursday In UK Over £10m Scam by Evablizin(f): 11:24am On Jul 01, 2017
Can somebori help me and identify this People i'm seeing names starting with Ade,Ode,Oluwa,Kay,Oye,are they from that part that likes fraud and skull minning,are the related to Dammy Krane,Oops just asking i did'nt call names.

1 Share

Re: 5 Nigerian To Be Jailed On Thursday In UK Over £10m Scam by obamabinladen(m): 11:24am On Jul 01, 2017
BOOKED
Re: 5 Nigerian To Be Jailed On Thursday In UK Over £10m Scam by 88natzy(m): 11:25am On Jul 01, 2017
Nwamaikpe you have started making sensible comments and I don't like it. You just one the few patriotic commenters that I read their lines just to laugh and be happy!!

Too bad..
Why judge an abscondee in absentia...thought its only in Nigeria they do such..
Hope the asbcondee isn't Huxpo
Re: 5 Nigerian To Be Jailed On Thursday In UK Over £10m Scam by Nobody: 11:27am On Jul 01, 2017
smartty68:

Mtchewww

you are the opposite of your name, very dumb undecided

2 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian To Be Jailed On Thursday In UK Over £10m Scam by smartty68(m): 11:29am On Jul 01, 2017
88natzy:
Nwamaikpe you have started making sensible comments and I don't like it. You just one the few patriotic commenters that I read their lines just to laugh and be happy!!

Too bad..
Why judge an abscondee in absentia...thought its only in Nigeria they do such..
Hope the asbcondee isn't Huxpo
Lol
Re: 5 Nigerian To Be Jailed On Thursday In UK Over £10m Scam by Nobody: 11:29am On Jul 01, 2017
Na wa for us in this life oooo...

them say honesty pays honesty pays....

I focused strictly on my virtue of honesty

I once returned a Samsung phone worth 250,000 naira after seeing it at the scene of a fight. the owner called me and because I was honest I asked him to come and collect it.. he came with venza, he is in his middle 40s. he just whined down put his hand out and just vamoozed... I thought within me that mehn I deserved what I got because I was a fool and that's what the guy also thought because he didn't even say thank you... thought he would be like the man in adekunle gold video "pick up the call" who dashed the money seen by taxi driver to the honest adekunle gold who is the 2 minutes taxi driver..........

and still I am still honest....

I still dey here dey manage while sitting on honesty and resting my back on dilligency

yet the dishonest ones (yahoo boys) snatched my girlfriend.. or better said.... my girlfriend followed dishonesty because they have the language of power and control- M-O-N-E-Y

Yet the dishonest ones are splashing water on me while I am on my leggedese Benz and they are in their 4matic.....

yet the dishonest ones are controlling the affair of my church, company, and even my country entirely

yet the dishonest ones can get what they want whenever they want it but me will need seek and seek and calculate my head off just to buy a pair of trouser.

yet the dishonest will be hailed while passing and nobody go even see me when I fall....

So is honesty over-rated?

NO.

all through these periods of self-worthlessness instigated by measuring my achievement with others, I have learnt to be happy not because of what I have but for the peace of mind knowing fully well I have un-built happiness; I have learnt contentment of the highest order.

I have learnt to be happy knowing that I am eating from my hand work.

I have come to have people around me who love me for who I am not the material things I have.

I have come to realize that life is simply simple and should be lived with simplicity

Above all I come to understand that though money answereth all things but there is a greater virtue that money answers to- Values. And that is what I am busy building while the
dishonest ones are building empires of lies after the order of tower of Babel

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian To Be Jailed On Thursday In UK Over £10m Scam by smartty68(m): 11:29am On Jul 01, 2017
Piiko:
you are the opposite of your name, very dumb undecided
Lol! I never came to read comments but to seat on FTC tongue
Hope you gerrit Mr smart dumb?
Re: 5 Nigerian To Be Jailed On Thursday In UK Over £10m Scam by 88natzy(m): 11:33am On Jul 01, 2017
smartty68:

Lol
Seriously hardly do I visit this forum without searching for were he has placed His stomach rumbling comments.
Re: 5 Nigerian To Be Jailed On Thursday In UK Over £10m Scam by alcmene: 11:36am On Jul 01, 2017
The afonja scammer thought hiding under the brown roofs of Ogbomosho would be of help.

Hope they don't sentence the absentee guy to death so his kinsmen wunt have the justification to severe his head and intestines
Re: 5 Nigerian To Be Jailed On Thursday In UK Over £10m Scam by seunny4lif(m): 11:44am On Jul 01, 2017

Yoruba people
Yoruba people
Yoruba people and crime in UK

Reporting live
Aba
Abia state

Re: 5 Nigerian To Be Jailed On Thursday In UK Over £10m Scam by seunny4lif(m): 11:45am On Jul 01, 2017
grin grin grin
alcmene:
The afonja scammer thought hiding under the brown roofs of Ogbomosho would be help.

Re: 5 Nigerian To Be Jailed On Thursday In UK Over £10m Scam by Brown14: 11:54am On Jul 01, 2017
smartty68:

Mtchewww

ur moniker should be Dumbby68
Re: 5 Nigerian To Be Jailed On Thursday In UK Over £10m Scam by smartty68(m): 11:57am On Jul 01, 2017
Brown14:

ur moniker should be Dumbby68
Lol! At least you'd get some likes for mentioning me now. Now check the other room for free mentions! tongue

(1) (Reply)

Hausa Man Turns Into Cow In Abia State / Nigerian Sentenced To 10 Years In Indian Jail For Cocaine, Meth And Forgery / New Born Baby Abandoned Beside A River In Ibadan, Oyo State. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.