Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,385 members, 7,808,362 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:55 AM

My Cowpea Farm In Kano - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Cowpea Farm In Kano (12966 Views)

Nigeria Releases First Transgenic Crop – Cowpea Resistant To Pod Borers / Genetically Modified Pod-Borer Resistant Cowpea Approved In Nigeria / Lady Shows Her Cucumber Farm In Anambra As She Goes For Harvest (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Cowpea Farm In Kano by Yildiz: 6:43pm On Jul 01, 2017
Good day all. This will be my very first thread on nairaland. I want to share my cowpea farming experience. In another way its a documention for me. Please don't mind my English.

The farm is 3 hectare located in Tiga, that's about 50 kilometers from city centre kano

3 Likes

Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jul 01, 2017
Well done sir , wish you many bountiful harvests

Please share pictures
Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by Badgers14: 6:59pm On Jul 01, 2017
Good for you Sir..

Atleast you weren't sitting around waiting for Bubu's 5k
Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by Yildiz: 7:15pm On Jul 01, 2017
I got the farm at 10k per hectare.
Today I started the farming process.
I sprayed non selective herbicide, glyphosate at the rate of 3L per hectare

2 Likes

Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by Yildiz: 7:19pm On Jul 01, 2017
I paid 600 naira per litre for the labourers that did the spraying. I got the herbicide at the rate of 1500 per litre
Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by Yildiz: 7:21pm On Jul 01, 2017
Now I will have to wait for at least 15 days before I do any other thing.
Meanwhile I have gotten all chemicals require but I have not gotten the seed yet. I wanted planting IT99-573-1-1 but it's not available
Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by Tochex101(m): 8:39pm On Jul 01, 2017
Yildiz:
I got the farm at 10k per hectare.
Today I started the farming process.
I sprayed non selective herbicide, glyphosate at the rate of 3L per hectare
Thats 30k for the 3. Pls does this sum provide full ownership or it covers only the planting season?
Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by Yildiz: 8:44pm On Jul 01, 2017
Tochex101:

Thats 30k for the 3. Pls does this sum provide full ownership or it covers only the planting season?
Only planting season

1 Like

Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by PapaBrowne(m): 10:14pm On Jul 01, 2017
Nice. Kano farmers are the best.

I was around the Tiga area some months ago. I was also at Kura. So impressive how water is managed.

I actually came for market research on cowpea. I ended up at Dawanau.

I am following your thread and would willingly buy up all your produce at harvest time if your price is good. You dont need to go to Dawanau to sell.

More grease to your work. I wish you success.

A few questions:
What variety are you planting?
Whats your expected yield per hectare?
How would you typically sell your harvest?

2 Likes

Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by Yildiz: 4:22pm On Jul 02, 2017
PapaBrowne:

I was around the Tiga area some months ago. I was also at Kura. So impressive how water is managed.

I am following your thread and would willingly buy up all your produce at harvest time if your price is good. You dont need to go to Dawanau to sell.

A few questions:
Am planting white medium maturity type
Expected yield is 1-2 ton per hectare depending on many factors
I haven't decided on how to sell yet

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by Munzy14(m): 4:37pm On Jul 02, 2017
wow! very nice. I love the courage.
Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by Pavore9: 4:58pm On Jul 02, 2017
Impressive.
Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by kingralph(m): 5:05pm On Jul 02, 2017
Yildiz:

How much is one tone of Cowpea at the open market?
Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by Yildiz: 6:26am On Jul 03, 2017
kingralph:

How much is one tone of Cowpea at the open market?
The price varies a lot, from 180k to 300k depending on the time of sell. Normally if you sell immediately after harvesting the price is lower.

1 Like

Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by Atlanticfire: 7:09am On Jul 03, 2017
The land looks like it does not have much weeds.

Will it not have been better to just plough it instead of applying herbicides to kill the weeds.

Is there water close by for irrigation and can one get up to 20 hectares to lease there

2 Likes

Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by Zzchampion: 11:35am On Jul 03, 2017
Yildiz:
Good day all. This will be my very first thread on nairaland. I want to share my cowpea farming experience. In another way its a documention for me. Please don't mind my English.

The farm is 3 hectare located in Tiga, that's about 50 kilometers from city centre kano
.......very interesting...
Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by Yildiz: 11:59am On Jul 03, 2017
Atlanticfire:
The land looks like it does not have much weeds.

Will it not have been better to just plough it instead of applying herbicides to kill the weeds.

Is there water close by for irrigation and can one get up to 20 hectares to lease there
Yes there is no much weed but am trying to about manual weeding till the end and also I don't intend to plough, I will just make ridges and plant.
You can get 20 hectares but it's very competitive.
There is no water nearby

1 Like

Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by Atlanticfire: 1:20pm On Jul 03, 2017
Yildiz:

Yes there is no much weed but am trying to about manual weeding till the end and also I don't intend to plough, I will just make ridges and plant.
You can get 20 hectares but it's very competitive.
There is no water nearby

Thanks for your response. I can not do any farm in the North without the option of irrigation.

I will like to have a farm in the North. Anywhere with water for irrigation will be nice.

1 Like

Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by OluchiDelly: 1:37pm On Jul 03, 2017
Yildiz:

PapaBrowne:

A few questions:

I don't just like that crop. grin my grandma used to tell us then that if you drink the water used for cooking it, you Tommy would swell up and person may die.
it takes several hours before you can cook it, you keep changing the water before it finally gets done, and at the end of the whole stress, it tastes very flat.

Apart from cooking/eating, what are the other uses of the crop?
Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by henrimoto(m): 2:21pm On Jul 03, 2017
Following....

How many months does it take to Harvest after planting?

1 Like

Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jul 03, 2017
Wonderful ! Allah shall provide strength for you to succeed. Do you need a partner for more hectare like 10

2 Likes

Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by Yildiz: 2:51pm On Jul 04, 2017
Atlanticfire:

Thanks for your response. I can not do any farm in the North without the option of irrigation.

I will like to have a farm in the North. Anywhere with water for irrigation will be nice.
Why please if I may ask?
happybrother:
Wonderful ! Allah shall provide strength for you to succeed. Do you need a partner for more hectare like 10
Thanks but I don't need a partner
henrimoto:
Following....

How many months does it take to Harvest after planting?
3-4 months
Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by Prince4945(m): 4:42pm On Jul 04, 2017
Following with keen interest, please who has an idea how i can get an hectare for lease in either Lagos or Ogun , I'm planning on starting up cassava farming very soon
Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by Atlanticfire: 2:44pm On Jul 05, 2017
Yildiz:

Why please if I may ask?

You can not control rainfall, so without irrigation, your crop performance is at the mercy of the elements.

With irrigation, you are in control of when the crops are watered and you can farm all year round.
Also crop yield better when their water requirements are well managed compared to when they are left at the mercy of the elements

2 Likes

Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by bashman290(m): 4:48pm On Jul 05, 2017
If u don't mind ibadan, almost 200 hectares is here in Ibadan for rent
Prince4945:
Following with keen interest, please who has an idea how i can get an hectare for lease in either Lagos or Ogun , I'm planning on starting up cassava farming very soon

1 Like

Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by bashman290(m): 5:04pm On Jul 05, 2017
U can reach Bolbash and son Nig. Enterprises on 07068886619 for land and tractor lease as well as IITA cassava stem.
bashman290:
If u don't mind ibadan, almost 200 hectares is here in Ibadan for rent

1 Like

Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by olly6559: 3:25pm On Jul 06, 2017
bashman290:
U can reach Bolbash and son Nig. Enterprises on 07068886619 for land and tractor lease as well as IITA cassava stem.

A interested in the Ibadan lands. Where is the location please? And is the land mechanized ( can use tractor to cultivate) or not?

1 Like

Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by bashman290(m): 9:58pm On Jul 06, 2017
Tractor is allowed. we also have d tractor for hire at the same place. Call on 07068886619 or e-mail @ bolbashandson@gmail.com
olly6559:

A interested in the Ibadan lands. Where is the location please? And is the land mechanized ( can use tractor to cultivate) or not?

1 Like

Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by bashman290(m): 10:22pm On Jul 06, 2017
HOW TO START A PROFITABLE CASSAVA FARM BY BOLBASH AND SON NIGERIA ENTERPRISES
1. Get a piece of land e.g 1hectare if u are new to the business or lack of capital @ #12500
2. Hire tractor @ d rate of #20000 per hectare
3. Buy Paraforce powder and Paraforce herbicide @ #4000
4. Spray it on the cultivated land #4000 laborer
5. Buy IITA improved cassava stem #500/bundle, you will need 75bundles per hectare.
6 plant the cassava stem after 10 days u sprayed the herbicides.
7. Go and relax for good 3 monthh or above for second weeding. If you don't make profit with this procedure never believe me again.
8. Note, you have to choose a suitable land and high yield cassava varieties. For land advice, land lease, tractor hire, cassava stem, maize seed and so on call on 07068886619 or email bolbashandson@gmail.com
bashman290:

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by OluchiDelly: 10:59pm On Jul 06, 2017
olly6559:

A interested in the Ibadan lands. Where is the location please?
And is the land mechanized ( can use tractor to cultivate) or not?

@ bashman290,
* where in Ibadan pls?
* is it a tractorable land which doesn't involve much stumping?
* is the 20k meant for single ploughing or it covers both 1st and 2nd ploughing? Thanks.
Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by bashman290(m): 8:34am On Jul 07, 2017
it's tractorable land located @ ido local government, I think u call me or chat me on WhatsApp 07068886619. email: bolbashandson@gmail.com Thanks
OluchiDelly:

@ bashman290,
* where in Ibadan pls?
* is it a tractorable land which doesn't involve much stumping?
* is the 20k meant for single ploughing or it covers both 1st and 2nd ploughing? Thanks.
Re: My Cowpea Farm In Kano by Seun(m): 9:21am On Jul 07, 2017
Following.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Yam Farming Can Contribute To Our Economic In Nigeria / CATFISH MART. A Platform That Connects Catfish Farmers Directly To Buyers / Turkey Production In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.