Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,209 members, 7,807,704 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:49 PM

Independent Ugandan Candidate A Musician Wins MP Election In Uganda - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Independent Ugandan Candidate A Musician Wins MP Election In Uganda (512 Views)

Africans Have No Culture, We Must Kick Them Out Says Racist Israeli MP / Robert Mugabe Jubilating After His Election In 1980 (Throwback Photos) / Dead Body Carried Like A Passenger On Motorcycle In Uganda (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Independent Ugandan Candidate A Musician Wins MP Election In Uganda by sloye5(m): 9:39pm On Jul 01, 2017
Ugandan musician and Afrobeats star Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu, famously known as Bobi Wine, has won a by-election in Kyadondo East in central Uganda.

Kyagulanyi, who ran as an independent candidate, beat four challengers by polling 25,659 votes of 33,310 cast. He received congratulatory message from the former presidential candidate for the Forum for Democratic Change (FDC) party, Kizza Besigye tweeted:

“Landslide victory for the HE Bobi Wine. Congratulations-PEOPLE POWER!! That's why Wakiso people weren't allowed to vote 2016.

After being declared winner, Kyagulanyi said that he wants to focus on uniting people:

"The first thing I want to do is to reconcile the leaders of Kyadondo East... I want politics to bring us together... just like music does."

The seat was declared vacant last year after a court ruled that the election had violated electoral rules

Kyagulanyi began his music career in early 2000s. Following the 2016 election he released a song titled Situka, which means rise up in Luganda.

Part of the lyrics include a challenge to Ugandans to play an active role in fighting corruption and injustice in their country:

"When the going gets tough, the tough must get going, especially when our leaders have become misleaders and mentors have become tormentors. When freedom of expression is met with suppression and oppression. "

http://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/news/Ugandan-musician-elected-MP/2558-3993850-9rujmyz/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IszmMqxd51c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fqYvqAa_Sg

Re: Independent Ugandan Candidate A Musician Wins MP Election In Uganda by sloye5(m): 9:44pm On Jul 01, 2017
Re: Independent Ugandan Candidate A Musician Wins MP Election In Uganda by sloye5(m): 9:46pm On Jul 01, 2017
myd44 please move to the right section.i think i should have posted it on celebs section.
Re: Independent Ugandan Candidate A Musician Wins MP Election In Uganda by mazimee(m): 9:51pm On Jul 01, 2017
Only Ugandans can explain why they voted him.

I don't think, Nigerians can vote any celebrity simply because he is a celebrity.
Re: Independent Ugandan Candidate A Musician Wins MP Election In Uganda by sloye5(m): 9:54pm On Jul 01, 2017
mazimee:
Only Ugandans can explain why they voted him.

I don't think, Nigerians can vote any celebrity simply because he is a celebrity.

no they didnt vote him because of that..his songs are always against the government of the day.if they allowed independent candidates in nigeria...it would be good..people are sick of parties..they want independent candidates now..he is a ghetto celeb and not a posh one...he is loved by everyone and that is why he won
Re: Independent Ugandan Candidate A Musician Wins MP Election In Uganda by decatalyst(m): 10:05pm On Jul 01, 2017
Waiting for 9ice to win counselor election...the Grammy is in sight after that grin

Re: Independent Ugandan Candidate A Musician Wins MP Election In Uganda by Homeboiy: 10:14pm On Jul 01, 2017
Uganda and Nigeria obu ofu ihe?

can't happen in my con3

(1) (Reply)

U.S. Military Leaders Are Worried That A War Could Start / Michelle Obama Celebrates Her Mum's Birthday With Adorable Photo / Man Healed 5000 People From Cancer With Weed/hemp Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.