Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,570 members, 7,809,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:37 PM

My First Time Outside Nigeria - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My First Time Outside Nigeria (31095 Views)

Never Depend On Anybody That Is Outside The Country / Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. / What Documents Might One Need Outside Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by Damilaredrey24(m): 3:27pm On Jul 06, 2017
Nairaland Comedy Skit Of The Week
I Can't Stop Laughing After Watching Dis Comedy Skit.

*Mr fOOL*

Watch, Share and subscribe to our Youtube Channel for more skit. Thank You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNCUqApfEE4
Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by Chunkurnemesis(m): 3:34pm On Jul 06, 2017
newmusic:
But how is co-passenger opening the window? Ayam not understanding oh!
. I think say an only me no understand ooo

1 Like

Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by sukkot: 3:34pm On Jul 06, 2017
moonraker:

bad mind dem kill u sad angry
wehdone sir
Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by Ama80(f): 3:36pm On Jul 06, 2017
Piiko:
I am in Abuja I want to take you to the best joint in town, very classy place
pls tell me d gud joints to visit.
Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by ExInferis(m): 3:49pm On Jul 06, 2017
This story has been clearly embellished.

1. The questions the OP claimed were asked of her at the airport seem very unlikely and are probably the figment of the author's imaginations to garner readership.

2. The story about the supposed seat neighbor is just that: a story. It reads like something brewed within the unimaginative minds of the nollywood crew who brought you Osuofia in London.

Bottomline:

The OP wanted some attention.

2 Likes

Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jul 06, 2017
Ama80:
pls tell me d gud joints to visit.
depends on ur personality and what you looking out for
Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by KingDizzle(m): 4:03pm On Jul 06, 2017
And you didn't share any picture with us ?
Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by bignero: 4:09pm On Jul 06, 2017
Naijasinglegirl:

I was in Zanzibar for a few days two weeks ago. Being my first time outside Nigeria, this trip was special for me in many ways. I travelled via Ethiopian Airlines, transited in Addis Ababa for two nights and spent five days in Zanzibar. A quick summary of my experience during my short vacation.

LAGOS AIRPORT
When the immigration official at the airport said, "Virgin passport. Are you are a virgin too?" I knew my trip was about to get interesting. My virgin passport and I were asked the most random questions.
"Tanzania? Why you no go Dubai?"
"Sure you are not planning to run from Nigeria?"
"Does your father know you are travelling?"
"Is it your boyfriend that sponsored your trip?"
"Your face resemble person wey sabi that thing well."
The immigration officer said he wasn't going to release my passport until I find him something for his own vacation. He kept to his word one thousand naira later.
The last security check at MMIA was where I was thoroughly searched by a woman. She kept whispering into my ears, "You no go find me something?"
I said, "English, no speak." After all some of the officials kept asking me if I was a Nigerian or Tanzanian so where unnecessary tips were involved, the only language I was going to speak was Swahili.

MY FLIGHT TO ZANZIBAR
As much as I enjoyed my first international flight experience, certain things did not bring my happiness to the fullness.
- I expected WIFI onboard but didn't get any.
- My co-passenger was a bush girl!
- I had a window seat but my co-passenger in the middle kept sliding up my windows to look out as if we were in Lagos danfo. Only God knows what she was looking for outside even when it got dark. Oh I remember. She kept asking me questions like, "Wey that wey been dey there? That thing you don snap tire?" That thing meant the wings of the plane and the clouds when it was 8pm!
- My co-passenger had BO. It was terrible.
- My co-passenger woke me up to lay my tabletop for food by slapping me on the vagina area. It was painful.
- I ordered white wine. My co-passenger asked if my wine was 'sweet' and before I could respond, she was 'tasting' from my cup. I told her she can have it all.
- My co-passenger took my orbit gum without permission.
- My co-passenger wouldn't let me rest until I captured the perfect shot of her while she ate. I took 12 photos to get it. She said, "When the food is about to enter my mouth, SNAP!" And I thought I was the JJC here?
- My co-passenger was a copy copy. Each time I took a photo of the clouds, she did same. She watched the same movies I watched. Ate in the same pattern l did. Went to the restroom each time I did. I kept wondering, who sent this girl Jehova?
- Finally, I had panic attacks each time the plane shook. I was the only idiot that kept screaming, "Jesus! Jesus!" During our landing at Addis Ababa, the plane suddenly went on full speed upon hitting the runway. Kuku kill me. The Nigerian in me thought it was brake failure.

ZANZIBAR
Zanzibar was fun. I stayed at Kendwa, Uroa and Stonetown. Thankfully transportation cost was reasonable enough to move from one town to another. I spent most of my time at the first two locations playing with sand in ways I never did during my childhood since there was nothing much to do on an Island. I was told the population of tourists were few due to Ramadan. I partied, went on a boat cruise, went on tour about town in Tanzanian danfo known as dala-dala, went in search for local restaurants on Tanzanian okada known as boda-boda, snacked on Tanzanian agege bread, visited their local market, made friends with locals, toured prison Island and went snorkeling which turned out to be a disaster.
Quick tip regarding snorkeling, Zanzibar might not be an English speaking city but ensure your snorkeling guide or fisherman like I was given understands English. Even if it's only the word 'HELP!’' especially if he intends to take you alone to the middle of the Indian Ocean in your snorkeling equipment to demonstrate, "In! In!! In!!!"
Mba! I refused to go in.

FOOD
I have a newfound respect for Nigerian cuisine since I returned to Lagos. One of my biggest challenge was feeding while I was in transit, and in Zanzibar. I knew I was in trouble when hunger had me licking my margarine like ice cream after I finished my main meal on the plane in less than three minutes. Why are airplane meals so small?
Travelling on a budget meant I couldn't experiment or gamble with local Tanzanian dishes all the time and only a few pricey restaurants were open due to Ramadan. My breakfast at my hotels were mostly pastries and it wasn't long the Nigerian in me started longing for jollof rice. A restaurant I visited swore they had something similar to rice and stew. I asked for it and got served a plate of white rice, lime and freshly blended tomatoes.

FLIGHT TO LAGOS
A Nigerian girl and her friend at Addis Ababa Airport walked up to my seat at the boarding area and said, "You be Nigeria?"
She was still wearing a hair net at 8am for an international flight. They were the upgraded version of the girl I had as co passenger enroute Zanzibar so I quickly moved away since I wasn't ready for any 'My Naija sister' relationships. Unfortunately, the chatty Igbo guy I had as seat partner was no different. He wouldn't stop asking the air hostess for an extra can of beer, even after the 5th can before announcing to me. "Maka make I go pee oh."
When lunch was served, he expressed his disappointment on why a Naija girl like me was using cheese on bread rather than some of the beef sauce meant for my rice on the bread. I told him I am Ethiopian. He apologized for his wrong assumption. I said, "Hakuna matata."
He said he prays one day Nigeria can have their own airline like us. I said, "I pray for you people too."

POST VACATION BLUES
My week in Zanzibar was the shortest of my life. I still tell people that I may be physically present in Lagos but spiritually, I am still in Zanzibar. I may not have visited a country westerners consider as developed but they were organized enough to get me wondering how I have been able to survive the madness in Nigeria, especially when you compare the professionalism in Nigerian Airports against the others. At least no one at Addis Ababa Airport and Zanzibar Airport asked me if I am a virgin.
Travelling has made me an Oliver Twist and I haven't gotten tired of documenting my experience. A large part of my leisure time is now spent on looking up affordable flights and reading up on more tourist friendly nations in Africa and the rest of the world generally. My faith is saying this is the start of many more travel experiences to come. Until then, Kwaheri.

PS: My vacation was a gift from a reader of my blog.

lol
nice
try accra next time youd love it
you dont even need to fly
beep me when your coming
Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by laudate: 4:11pm On Jul 06, 2017
Naijasinglegirl:
I was in Zanzibar for a few days two weeks ago. Being my first time outside Nigeria, this trip was special for me in many ways. I travelled via Ethiopian Airlines, transited in Addis Ababa for two nights and spent five days in Zanzibar. A quick summary of my experience during my short vacation.

LAGOS AIRPORT
When the immigration official at the airport said, "Virgin passport. Are you are a virgin too?" I knew my trip was about to get interesting. My virgin passport and I were asked the most random questions.
"Tanzania? Why you no go Dubai?"
"Sure you are not planning to run from Nigeria?"
"Does your father know you are travelling?"
"Is it your boyfriend that sponsored your trip?"
"Your face resemble person wey sabi that thing well."
The immigration officer said he wasn't going to release my passport until I find him something for his own vacation. He kept to his word one thousand naira later.
The last security check at MMIA was where I was thoroughly searched by a woman. She kept whispering into my ears, "You no go find me something?"
I said, "English, no speak." After all some of the officials kept asking me if I was a Nigerian or Tanzanian so where unnecessary tips were involved, the only language I was going to speak was Swahili.

Babe!! cheesy You are such a gifted and talented writer! I was laughing all the way from the beginning of your article till the end. cheesy I pray you get enough funds to travel the world and share your experiences with us! cool I am sure when the immigration officer asked you: "Is it your boyfriend that sponsored your trip?" Inside your mind, you must have replied: "....And how is that your own business?"

PS: Have you noticed how law abiding Nigerians are, once they touch down in another country, but the minute they board the plane, on their return trip or incoming flight back into Nigerian airspace, (especially when the pilot announces that 'we are 5 minutes away from landing at Murtala Muhammed International Airport, please fasten your seat belts...') those same Nigerians become lawless, noisy and cantankerous? shocked sad

rman:
This girl writing style and how she delivers her humor is excellent.

She is not a standup comedian but she has far superior content to the standup comedians in Nigeria.

Kudos to you naijasinglegirl
You are so right!! cheesy
Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by bayulll011(m): 4:21pm On Jul 06, 2017
Naijasinglegirl:

please give estimate all you spent hotel-flight-misclellaneous planing on something like this for my vacation december
Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by MansaMoussa: 5:14pm On Jul 06, 2017
Which travel agency did you use and what is the cost of the whole trip....Planning something like this by December.
Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by Ama80(f): 5:14pm On Jul 06, 2017
Piiko:
depends on ur personality and what you looking out for
not too noisy,preferably a garden with gud music.
Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jul 06, 2017
Ama80:
not too noisy,preferably a garden with gud music.
Try Keje grills it's inside City park wuse 2 I will be there 2moro evening
Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by Alert(f): 6:20pm On Jul 06, 2017
Another nice one from you @ naijasinglegirl, I admire your writing skills always having a dash humour, at unexpected places.

Please I sent you a mail since May 14th, no reply from you yet. I would appreciate if you can do that, except you have a policy on that.

Thanks smiley
Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by Edum13656: 6:23pm On Jul 06, 2017
BodyKiss:

You quoted the whole damn post to say this nonsense?
I don't even who Man U has bought already.
Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by omoiyamayor(m): 6:29pm On Jul 06, 2017
Pamelayoung:

I will like to visit too. Pls what's the total package
back then I landed at Dar es Salam snd used a ferry(azam) on a return ticket,bought the ticket at d seaport around 30usd so but bear it in mind,zanzibar is no greener pasture,just a holiday destination,dats it.

Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by izombie(m): 6:31pm On Jul 06, 2017
So op, are you a virgin?
Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by Sarang(f): 7:12pm On Jul 06, 2017
My co-passenger got me cracking up lol.. grin

You no get ear piece.. use it next time wink
Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by pat1612(m): 7:15pm On Jul 06, 2017
Love it hate it ignore it condemn it but u will always miss Nigeria when u visit other country. grin

Apart from that ethopia is such a beautiful country you had a transit for 2 nights and u dint explore it people are friendly cool country below is a pic from my hotel room smiley

1 Like

Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jul 06, 2017
Naijasinglegirl:

Thank you so much smiley

Don't just thank him. Common.......push the pm button wink

Love can be found anywhere......u can never tell wink smiley
Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by Pamelayoung: 8:15pm On Jul 06, 2017
omoiyamayor:
back then I landed at Dar es Salam snd used a ferry(azam) on a return ticket,bought the ticket at d seaport around 30usd so but bear it in mind,zanzibar is no greener pasture,just a holiday destination,dats it.

Yeah I also want ti visit on holiday. But I don't really get you do you mean you came back by sea.
Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by Hifeylove: 8:35pm On Jul 06, 2017
Your first international trip... But guess you snapped more than enough and you exhausted your phone memory..You tried but why you no upload any pics for fp..
Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by Ama80(f): 9:15pm On Jul 06, 2017
Piiko:
Try Keje grills it's inside City park wuse 2 I will be there 2moro evening
tnx

1 Like

Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by customised87: 9:22pm On Jul 06, 2017
Akalia:
OP u can lie for nairaland, why u no attach pictures to buttress your first time abroad travel experience testament.

Check her blog or her IG page if you want to see pics and videos.

1 Like

Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by omoiyamayor(m): 10:21am On Jul 07, 2017
Pamelayoung:

Yeah I also want ti visit on holiday. But I don't really get you do you mean you came back by sea.
landed at Dar es Salam airport then use the ferry to go and return from Zanzibar.it's another experience
Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by Toks2008(m): 10:40am On Jul 07, 2017
Alert:
Another nice one from you @ naijasinglegirl, I admire your writing skills always having a dash humour, at unexpected places.

Please I sent you a mail since May 14th, no reply from you yet. I would appreciate if you can do that, except you have a policy on that.

Thanks smiley

I don't know and I might be wrong but I think she is allowing the encomia get into her head and that is a red flag.
Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by ememamike(m): 9:18pm On Jul 07, 2017
You should try to visit USA, go to Niagara state park, Savannah, The grand tetons national park, The grand canyon etc. I promise, you will have more fun and a lot to write about.

1 Like

Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by Naijasinglegirl: 9:50am On Jul 08, 2017
i just went through my messages of may 14th. Can't find yours. What was it about

Alert:

Thanks smiley
Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by JohnieWalker12(m): 6:06pm On Jul 08, 2017
Thank for journey mercies @OP...
I'll be happy if you can give us a rough estimate of your budget for the trip you made to Tanzania cool
Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by nwakaegoabisola(f): 12:14pm On Jul 09, 2017
Hal @naijasinglegirl I really admire your sincerity about your first trip out of the country. Please how would lol if you could give an estimation of how much you spent, as nt friends and I plan to go next year.

Cheers
Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by Naijasinglegirl: 1:26pm On Jul 10, 2017
http://www.naijasinglegirl.com/nigeria-zanzibar-cost-breakdown/
nwakaegoabisola:
Hal @naijasinglegirl I really admire your sincerity about your first trip out of the country. Please how would lol if you could give an estimation of how much you spent, as nt friends and I plan to go next year.

Cheers

1 Like

Re: My First Time Outside Nigeria by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jul 10, 2017

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Children Riding A Ferris Wheel Stuck After NEPA Struck In Ogun State. / See The New International Terminal At The Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport, Abuja / Yola: Trailer Crushes 20 People To Death While Being Chased By The Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.