Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,272 members, 7,807,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:37 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (1001) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2041700 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (998) (999) (1000) (1001) (1002) (1003) (1004) ... (1678) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 4:36pm On Jun 07, 2021
toluxa1:
Guys, I will like to know if some of the veterans here and those who have had running systems with Lithium battery up for a while, have actually done cost analysis of your system in relation to cost of grid? Like Ikejaelectricity tarrif I believe is about N30 per KWh or there about. Is it possible to both generate and store power from solar at such low rate? Or is the advantage only in the constant electricity derived? I did some rough calculations for an off-grid system and it appears even in 10 Years I might not break even compared to paying PHCN.

I will like to know if this is actually correct since I started using Deye(5 months ago or so) I have done about 320KWh consumption on grid and 1.2MWh on battery and 2.1MWh solar generation. I will say grid is cheaper in that case except that I don't get useful grid all the time
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Namzy(m): 4:58pm On Jun 07, 2021
toluxa1:
Guys, I will like to know if some of the veterans here and those who have had running systems with Lithium battery up for a while, have actually done cost analysis of your system in relation to cost of grid? Like Ikejaelectricity tarrif I believe is about N30 per KWh or there about. Is it possible to both generate and store power from solar at such low rate? Or is the advantage only in the constant electricity derived? I did some rough calculations for an off-grid system and it appears even in 10 Years I might not break even compared to paying PHCN.
₦30 per kwh are you sure about this?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by toluxa1(m): 5:11pm On Jun 07, 2021
Namzy:

That is what I saw here sha - https://www.ikejaelectric.com/energy-consumption-domestic-appliances/
I guess that was the cost before the recent increase few months ago. Maybe they have not updated their website

But I am sure Abuja is N49.75 / Kwh and I don't think it can have such wide difference.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 6:08pm On Jun 07, 2021
Namzy:

not true. see thier updated price below.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 6:34pm On Jun 07, 2021
Namzy:

I would have done this but I had to crack a wall to pass the wire of the original solar and land lord don warn me not to repeat such as I leave in a flat

Crack am again when landlord no dey grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Zifon: 8:21pm On Jun 07, 2021
justcallmenuel:
60A 12/48v MPPT charge controller still available, #95,000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461
oga mi God don bless your market through this thread, help me with 150w solar panel i get 10k :' :' :'
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IYGEAL(m): 8:48pm On Jun 07, 2021
justcallmenuel:

It’s available boss.

OK sir.

No budget for it at the moment though.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jun 07, 2021
toluxa1:

PHCN generates and distributes. It does not store electricity. A 1kw solar system with inverter and mppt controller ould cost you around 400k and generate around 840 kwh per annum and roughly 16,800 kwh over its lifetime. Do the math. 23 naira per kwh. Its why batteryless solar power plants make more sense than home solar systems.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 9:28pm On Jun 07, 2021
It's a little over a year ago I have commented here.
I am happy few people recognised the 1000 page mark. So i decided to chip in commendations to veterans here who have touched people's lives positively. We all know who they are.

I say THANK YOU ALL.
I remember from few interesting pages back then to exciting and flourishing discuss. From outrageous prices of some marketers to issues resolution, the thead has grown larger and larger affording countless Nigerians see the light on a SUN-DAY as doable, affordable and enjoyable as a diy or as a client.

I love you all our legends, you are all selfless. Even though many of you are quiet nowadays but ur words speaks on. I doff my cap in respect!

8 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 9:50pm On Jun 07, 2021
IYGEAL:

OK sir.

No budget for it at the moment though.
God will provide sir. Stay blessed!

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 9:53pm On Jun 07, 2021
Zifon:

oga mi God don bless your market through this thread, help me with 150w solar panel i get 10k :' :' :'
Ah, sorry that’s too low sir. Pls make it 22k lemme sell for you at cost price. (160w felicity solar panel)
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by toluxa1(m): 10:06pm On Jun 07, 2021
mktinsight:

PHCN generates and distributes. It does not store electricity. A 1kw solar system with inverter and mppt controller ould cost you around 400k and generate around 840 kwh per annum and roughly 16,800 kwh over its lifetime. Do the math. 23 naira per kwh. Its why batteryless solar power plants make more sense than home solar systems.

That's exactly my point. That's why I was particular about cost of generating AND storing and whether there is a point on the long run that it becomes cheaper than PHCN.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojesymsym: 10:35pm On Jun 07, 2021
I am not sure what parameters you used in your calculation but I know for sure that with solar, your energy cost in terms of generation reduces with the number of years you have had the installation. Actuality tends towards zero.
toluxa1:

That's exactly my point. That's why I was particular about cost of generating AND storing and whether there is a point on the long run that it becomes cheaper than PHCN.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 11:21pm On Jun 07, 2021
Zifon:

I have 140w I am not using, I can give you at 15k.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sethtsadopp: 11:22pm On Jun 07, 2021
Valto:

after battery full, the energy from pv will power house load, so far your house load is not bigger that the available generated energy from pv

since the battery is already full, the inverter takes energy from panels to power house loads.

Thanks sir for your reply. It's clearer now. One more thing. What if my batteries are full and PV is still producing but I don't have enough load to take that power? What happens to that energy?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by toluxa1(m): 11:24pm On Jun 07, 2021
ojesymsym:
I am not sure what parameters you used in your calculation but I know for sure that with solar, your energy cost in terms of generation reduces with the number of years you have had the installation. Actuality tends towards zero.

Absolutely I agree, in terms of GENERATION. But what about in terms of generation AND STORAGE. That's my focus. I calculated both generation and storage.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 11:27pm On Jun 07, 2021
toluxa1:

Show us the maths !!!

We do compare Solar system to Generator and not Grid, Grid is cheaper (not always available).

You need to calculate 24hours Grid vs 24 hours Solar and 24 hours Generator.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojesymsym: 11:44pm On Jun 07, 2021
Still cheaper especially if solar is in the mix.
Now if there is no solar, then you will be using the disco for charging. Remember energy is neither created nor destroyed, so when charging your batteries from utility, you will be spending the utility bill ahead by storing it. Using a simple analogy. Assuming you have home system without solar with a one day autonomy and Ikeja disco rations power to you on a one day and one day off basis. So in such a scenario your bill will consist of a bill of two days as if you had power those 2 days because you stored your tomorrow power on the day you had power which you have to pay for on the day you had power. So if your utility bill is 1 naira per day. Since u stored the one of tomorrow in your battery, your bill may now read like 2naira plus the amount for power loses.
That is one way to look at it.
toluxa1:

Absolutely I agree, in terms of GENERATION. But what about in terms of generation AND STORAGE. That's my focus. I calculated both generation and storages.

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 12:12am On Jun 08, 2021
sethtsadopp:

Thanks sir for your reply. It's clearer now. One more thing. What if my batteries are full and PV is still producing but I don't have enough load to take that power? What happens to that energy?
your CC will throttle down power coming in from pv, and will only supply what your house load requires.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Nobody: 4:20am On Jun 08, 2021
toluxa1:

Cost of storage:

Amaron Quanta 200AH lead acid will give you 1440kwh over its life cycle. At roughly 155k naira that's 107 naira per kwh.

Lithium felicity 200ah battery will give you 10,500kwh over its life cycle. At roughly 455k that's 43 naira per kwh.

So combine the two:

Generation: 23 naira per kwh
Storage: 43 - 107 naira per kwh

6 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 9:22am On Jun 08, 2021
I'll add a different perspective

I have a client who just has to have power 24/7 even if all he does is see the bulb glowing. He just can't live without it (I think it's due to having lived too long in the US). Poor and epileptic power supply ensures he spends about N1,500 to N3,000 daily on fuelling his two petrol generators and the main diesel one. This discounts maintenance costs; also overhaul of at least one generator each year as they're worked to death. He replaces them on a whim as soon as they begin misbehaving. Means fuelling alone is at least N50,000 per month and N600,000 per year. This does not include maintenance and replacement costs.

I switched him to solar in 2015 or 2016.
- JYSP 250w x6
- MustPower (VIL) 3kW 24V x1
- US battery 360AH 6V x 4
- gave him my redundant Epever (then epSolar) 60A MPPT CC
Altogether about N1m (equipment supplied by kiekie1 and batteries by solardepot so they can testify to this figure)

In this weird situation, he had weaned himself off the cost of running generators (and poor, almost non-existent grid power) and recouped costs in an amazing 2 years! Batteries gave in about 2 years ago and he's enjoying the inverter with panels and other stuff. Replaced batteries only.

Having constant power supply is a luxury which needn't be so in many parts of Nigeria. To replicate a reliable grid locally via renewable energy is invariably cheaper than running off fossil fuels. At some point in time (amortizing investment costs), it might become cheaper than the grid (inflation catches up and overtakes, grid tariff keeps rising, ancillary running costs, convenience, zero emissions, reliability, etc).

NB: This is a purely personal opinion/cost extrapolation but real in details. I didn't bother with the kWh/N calculations.

14 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tosin1570(m): 11:13am On Jun 08, 2021
From my own personal experience I discovered Forklift batteries last longer than any of the batteries that I have used. I have been using my current batteries bank (48v 700ah) with Victron 48V 8KVA Victron inverter for over 5 years now without no issues whatsoever

I actually abused the battery with heavy loads have got 4hp standing AC with 3x 1hp AC everything works fine

If you’ve been having trouble with the longevity or durabilities of your current batteries banks, forklift batteries are the best solution. forklift batteries or traction batteries use lead plates that are much thicker than any other Lead acid batteries, and they also utilise two-volt cells.

Yes they do require maintenance I.E topping up the water but they are constructed to be discharged to 20% of their capacity regularly.

2V 650AH= 65k
2v 770AH=75K
2V 1000AH=95K

Banks of 48V

48V 650AH = 1.4m
48V 775AH= 1.7m
48V 1000AH= 2.1m

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 2:20pm On Jun 08, 2021
ojeysky:

I will like to know if this is actually correct since I started using Deye(5 months ago or so) I have done about 320KWh consumption on grid and 1.2MWh on battery and 2.1MWh solar generation. I will say grid is cheaper in that case except that I don't get useful grid all the time

Grid is always cheaper. We don't do solar to compete with the grid on cost, but on availability and reliability. Reliability is something you can not guarantee with grid.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olopan(m): 4:48pm On Jun 08, 2021
Good evening Everyone,

Hope our week is up to a great start.

The importance of an SPD can't be over emphasise,
A client called earlier today sounding stressed that her house nearly burnt down, because the washing machine went berserk.

After independent check by three different electricians, it was discovered that there was a surge from the grid and the washing machine which was connected on the grid/heavy consumption panel took the hit.

Our installation is still kicking and performing like it should.

Below are pictures

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 5:01pm On Jun 08, 2021
WE BUY DEAD/SCRAP BATTERIES!!!

We also buy off scrap/dead deep cycle batteries from any state to Lagos(T&C applies) .

12v 200a ..... N16,000
12v 150a.......N12,000
12v 100a.......N8,000
2v 500a ......N5,500

If outside Lagos state , send the scrap batteries to your nearby Lagos park & get your payment alert immediately after confirmatory remarks from me with the transport company manager / secretary or driver .

Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL:: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: https:///2348170385620

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 6:00pm On Jun 08, 2021
DURABLE AGM BATTERIES NOW AVAILABLE!

USA Deka solar 12v 210ah ... 220,000

Ben AGM battery 12v 200ah ... 120,000

Ben AGM battery 12v 225ah .... 130,000

Ben lead carbon battery 12v 200ah .... 160,000

Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL:: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: https:///2348170385620q

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 7:52pm On Jun 08, 2021
olopan:
Good evening Everyone,

Hope our week is up to a great start.

The importance of an SPD can't be over emphasise,
A client called earlier today sounding stressed that her house nearly burnt down, because the washing machine went berserk.

After independent check by three different electricians, it was discovered that there was a surge from the grid and the washing machine which was connected on the grid/heavy consumption panel took the hit.

Our installation is still kicking and performing like it should.

Below are pictures

SPD with a good earth both AC and the DC type together with good lightning arrestor rocks cool

The other day someone was arguing that their old house has lightning arrestor, why should they put on the new one. The old house is a bungalow and the new one is a storey building. But of course a roadside electrical "engineer" told them there is no need for one at the new house. I just dey observe cool angry grin

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olopan(m): 8:58pm On Jun 08, 2021
True, at least there is fewer points of failure.

Haaa, sorry is their case, at least moving it to the new house covers for both house

mctfopt:

SPD with a good earth both AC and the DC type together with good lightning arrestor rocks cool

The other day someone was arguing that their old house has lightning arrestor, why should they put on the new one. The old house is a bungalow and the new one is a storey building. But of course a road aside electrical "engineer" told them there is no need for one at the new house. I just dey observe cool angry grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 2:46am On Jun 09, 2021
olopan:
True, at least there is fewer points of failure.

Haaa, sorry is their case, at least moving it to the new house covers for both house

Correct!

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Peterlove11: 4:09am On Jun 09, 2021
Please what is the difference between a circuit breaker and a surge protective device.....which is more important in a solar installation?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by odimbannamdi(m): 6:51am On Jun 09, 2021
adrusa:

Grid is always cheaper. We don't do solar to compete with the grid on cost, but on availability and reliability. Reliability is something you can not guarantee with grid.

I agree.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 10:09am On Jun 09, 2021
Peterlove11:
Please what is the difference between a circuit breaker and a surge protective device.....which is more important in a solar installation?

Circuit breaker opens a circuit (connection) in the event of fault, overload or abnormalities in the circuit. The surge protective device as the name implies protects the circuit against surge from the system (lightning, or just a heavy equipment start or shut down). The two are VERY IMPORTANT in a system.

(1) (2) (3) ... (998) (999) (1000) (1001) (1002) (1003) (1004) ... (1678) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: toscotech(m), Valto(m), luvlyoracle(m), kristien4(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.