Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,981 members, 7,806,869 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:21 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (1220) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2040351 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1217) (1218) (1219) (1220) (1221) (1222) (1223) ... (1676) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 10:26pm On Aug 01, 2022
ObabyObaby:
Good evening all, Pls I need your help,Can I use 12pieces of 300w solar panel on 48v system, if yes what should be the configuration

Charge controller is 80a
Voc is 150
4pcs of 200ah
Inverter is 3500w

@ojeysky
@mcfopt
@Valto
@earthrealm

Pls other members should help out
Thank you

You didn't provide voc of the panel but a 300w should be around 38/40v 3s4p is your best option

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ObabyObaby: 11:11pm On Aug 01, 2022
Penuelseun:
3s4p should be great for your setup, hope your cc is mppt sha. You didn't state the VOC of the solar panels
Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ObabyObaby: 11:12pm On Aug 01, 2022
ojeysky:

You didn't provide voc of the panel but a 300w should be around 38/40v 3s4p is your best option
Thanks
Yes the voc is 38v
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Keemie(f): 4:31am On Aug 02, 2022
dammodee911:

Recently installed a 5.5kwh Smk hybrid on and off grid inverter system coupled with 4 units of 12v 200ah blue carbon lithium ion lifepo4 batteries and 8 450watts mono solar panels. Everything seems fine, but the only downside is that my 9kva firman 12990esr generator can’t seem to charge it. So far only the solar and Nepa light have been able to charge it. But with the raining season on full mode and epileptic power supply, I really need the generator option. My installer said my generator frequency isn’t enough, this is a generator that comfortably powers my 3hp inverter standing AC and 1.5hp inverter AC. What can I do pls? So far from the inverter screen, my gen produces btw 275 -285v and btw 48 - 50.5hz. Shouldn’t this be enough to charge the battery?

Where did you buy the battery from? How much did you buy it?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 4:49am On Aug 02, 2022
NiyiOmoIyunade:
I have used both Lead Acid and Lithium.

Lead Acid I started off with the typical sealed Luminous, Genus, Sinergy which all dissappointed then moved on to Flooded US Battery which also dissappointed then ultimately went for Lithium. When I say dissappointed, I mean they did not all make the promised cycle life despite being used within charge and discharge specs and best practices. For customer installations I used Quanta AGM which did better but mostly still fell short of the expected cycle life.

I ported to Lithium 2018/2019 ish, lived offgrid exclusively off 16 units of Pylontech US2000 - 3 years and several hundred cycles later they are still going strong and no discernible performance degradation, also Lithium allowed me to move from dreading customer calls (once you hear backup time is reducing you know lead acid don dey near end of life) to answering them with my full chest and only getting calls for capacity and feature upgrades and referrals for new business.

There are some use cases where lead acid may be sufficient - when a newbie asks me for advise I always tell them to stay with 12v systems because it gives more stability and longevity. Lithium is almost always a better option but needs a lot more bells and whistles (BMS and balancer circuitry) - I daresay the BMS and balancer is one key reason why Lithium tends to do so well and if one could make a Lead Acid BMS that could balance individual cells, the lead acid story might change a lot.

Really the bane of all battery systems is how to keep cells in series well balanced - whoever solves that problem will greatly extend his battery service life. The Lithium chemistries are mostly superior to lead acid but also a lot less forgiving of mistakes (overcharge/discharge)

I saw this just now on alibaba. [url]https://m.alibaba.com/product/62383990196/DFUN-BMS-System-Battery-Indicator-for.html?__sceneInfo=%7B%22cacheTime%22%3A%221800000%22%2C%22type%22%3A%22appDetailShare%22%7D&from=Android[/url]

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 9:07am On Aug 02, 2022
GeorgeD1:
seems august break is around the corner cox the sun is spitting out more juice than ever before.
end of day harvest: 45.50kwh smiley

At this time, lithium battery will still be at about 53V at least.

One thing people don't fully appreciate in lithium chemistry is the improved charging efficiency. Lithium charging efficiency can be as high as 95% or more compared to about 80/85% for lead acid. So, you waste less solar power to charge your lithium batteries and on poor solar days you fill your battery more quickly.

Lithium is just superior to lead acid in every way, people saying otherwise are just being purely dishonest or poorly informed.

11 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 10:03am On Aug 02, 2022
GeorgeD1:
next day instantaneous power captured after noon.

i'm glad battery temperature remained cool at 31 degrees
even with 166a being pumped into its belly grin

You and this your TriStar, still pumping amps. Nice one.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 10:10am On Aug 02, 2022
adrusa:

One thing people don't fully appreciate in lithium chemistry is the improved charging efficiency. Lithium charging efficiency can be as high as 95% or more compared to about 80/85% for lead acid. So, you waste less solar power to charge your lithium batteries and on poor solar days you fill your battery more quickly.

Lithium is just superior to lead acid in every way, people saying otherwise are just being purely dishonest or poorly informed.

I think you have not been really reading through the thread, you pick what you like. No one is disputing lithium capacity.
If someone ask a question, na crime to ask if it is not lithium , or answer the question on lead acid . Let me ask my brother do you have 5 years on lithium use.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 10:55am On Aug 02, 2022
samnaija:

I think you have not been really reading through the thread, you pick what you like. No one is disputing lithium capacity.
If someone ask a question, na crime to ask if it is not lithium , or answer the question on lead acid . Let me ask my brother do you have 5 years on lithium use.

Actually, this question of 5 years is a fake question. You are asking knowing fully well that Lithium for solar became practicable/affordable only about 3 or so years ago, especially in Nigeria. However, if you are asking for experience with lithium batteries in general, then the answer is yes, even you are likely to have used lithium battery for more than 5 years.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by FEGEITOK: 11:37am On Aug 02, 2022
Thank you everyone for your responses to the Lead Acid and Lithium debate

Key takeaways:

1. Lead acid takes more space, Lithium takes less space
2. Lead acid is heavier, Lithium is lighter
3. Lead acid has a lower DOD, Lithium has a higher DOD
4. Lead acid can give fewer cycles, Lithium can give more cycles
5. Lead acid is cheaper, Lithium is more expensive
6. Lead acid has relatively been cheaper all along, Lithium has only recently become more generally affordable
7. Lead acid has less capacity, Lithium has more capacity
8. Lead acid has inferior charging efficiency, Lithium has superior charging efficiency
9. Lead acid is cheaper, Lithium is a tad more expensive

That said, I think that my first Lead acid installation will last a very long time, it has not been fully discharged since been set up.

Infact, I turned it off each time that I got the low battery warning and that has happened less than 10 times. Each time that would happen, I recharged them using the generator.

I intend to add solar panels so I can do the charging without mains or generators.

With what I know about DOD, I will never allow the batteries to go beyond that.

But now having compared and contrasted the options open to me, I decided that it is better to upsize the installation to support fridge, freezer and AC than try to purchase Direct Current fridge and freezers.

I also want several days of autonomy.

I also want all heavy loads of the mains, I intend to use mains only for lighting and my backup power source, and that is how all those questions came about.

Your input (by your, I mean everyone who spoke for and against Lead acid batteries) has been invaluable and I attempt to take this route.

Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 11:38am On Aug 02, 2022
adrusa:

Actually, this question of 5 years is a fake question. You are asking knowing fully well that Lithium for solar became practicable/affordable only about 3 or so years ago, especially in Nigeria. However, if you are asking for experience with lithium batteries in general, then the answer is yes, even you are likely to have used lithium battery for more than 5 years.
u

You have just said it. Most people here just started using lithium all of a sudden .
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Obascoetubi: 11:56am On Aug 02, 2022
mctfopt:

Magnum = Premium. Never seen it fail grin
I can only imagine the cost in naira cool
WHAT OF VICTRON?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chyk101: 12:29pm On Aug 02, 2022
House,

Please is there any solar installer based in Benin on this thread?

A referral or mention would be appreciated.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by FEGEITOK: 12:42pm On Aug 02, 2022
dammodee911:

Recently installed a 5.5kwh Smk hybrid on and off grid inverter system coupled with 4 units of 12v 200ah blue carbon lithium ion lifepo4 batteries and 8 450watts mono solar panels. Everything seems fine, but the only downside is that my 9kva firman 12990esr generator can’t seem to charge it. So far only the solar and Nepa light have been able to charge it. But with the raining season on full mode and epileptic power supply, I really need the generator option. My installer said my generator frequency isn’t enough, this is a generator that comfortably powers my 3hp inverter standing AC and 1.5hp inverter AC. What can I do pls? So far from the inverter screen, my gen produces btw 275 -285v and btw 48 - 50.5hz. Shouldn’t this be enough to charge the battery?

Deye was recommended to me, and this same problem occurs with Deye based on reviews on YouTube.

They say you need a 20KVA generator to charge it.

Maybe the experts will explain why.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adedejis2: 1:36pm On Aug 02, 2022
Hello house.
Please I need advice on my panel connection.
Breakdown of my unit.
Solar 150w x2
Inverter is 12v 500w.
200ah battery.
For faster charging, do I connect my panel in series or parallel .
Max panel watt allowed for my unit is 300w

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Tommynaku: 2:32pm On Aug 02, 2022
From some reviews, the basic challenges gradually facing Lithium is the use of less quality cells from most of these Chinko guys.
The quality of these cells is a function of the durability of these battery System.

Is there anyone that would want to get some cells from Alibaba? So we can collabo in the shipping of these batteries to Nigeria. Please any let’s indicate so as to reduce cost
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Penuelseun(m): 2:37pm On Aug 02, 2022
adedejis2:
Hello house.
Please I need advice on my panel connection.
Breakdown of my unit.
Solar 150w x2
Inverter is 12v 500w.
200ah battery.
For faster charging, do I connect my panel in series or parallel .
Max panel watt allowed for my unit is 300w
Parallel connection

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 3:47pm On Aug 02, 2022
FEGEITOK:

Deye was recommended to me, and this same problem occurs with Deye based on reviews on YouTube.

They say you need a 20KVA generator to charge it.

Maybe the experts will explain why.

Olopan let's talk oh... Lol
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 3:49pm On Aug 02, 2022
Tommynaku:
From some reviews, the basic challenges gradually facing Lithium is the use of less quality cells from most of these Chinko guys.
The quality of these cells is a function of the durability of these battery System.

Is there anyone that would want to get some cells from Alibaba? So we can collabo in the shipping of these batteries to Nigeria. Please any let’s indicate so as to reduce cost

Some guys did a group buy earlier, i think we should get guidance from them. I'm interested although I don't need it atm, but if the price is right I'll buy and keep for future use
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dollarnaira: 5:06pm On Aug 02, 2022
samnaija:
u

You have just said it. Most people here just started using lithium all of a sudden .

What u actually need is what i don't understand. What do u need?
All of a sudden?
After replying almost all ur post, I got banned for 24hrs. Wetin u dey find gan gan? Tell me biko. If d several replies still don't get u satisfied....hmmmm. Chai

Probably u felt everyone here sells lithium battery abi? grin

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adedejis2: 5:24pm On Aug 02, 2022
Penuelseun:
Parallel connection
gracias
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 5:27pm On Aug 02, 2022
adrusa:

my brother,
as you know already resting voltage differs for various battery chemistries: nimh, nicad, lifepo4, lito, etc
the 50.8v for my lead acid battery bank doesn't drop much during the night even under very heavy use, that is why battery
bank sizing matters a lot.
i doubt if mtn, glo, and all other telecoms mast operators including banks will be bothered whether their battery banks
rests at 53v or 56v at sun down provided the batteries are delivering as expected with minimal or no supervision.
we can go on and on about which battery chemistry is superior to the other (on paper) but the bottom line for them
and for me too is value for money spent.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 7:12pm On Aug 02, 2022
Obascoetubi:
WHAT OF VICTRON?

So many premium inverter in the market, Victron is one of them.

In no particular order these are premium makes: Schneider, Victron, Magnum, Outback, SMA, Fronius, etc.

I've seen Outback in condition that other inverters will absolute die but it didn't...

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by coldcandy: 8:12pm On Aug 02, 2022
mctfopt:

In no particular order these are premium makes: Schneider, Victron, Magnum, Outback, SMA, Fronius, etc.

I've seen Outback in condition that other inverters will absolute die but it didn't...

How about growatt?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Obascoetubi: 10:37pm On Aug 02, 2022
mctfopt:

outback expensive too?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Intellab(m): 10:45pm On Aug 02, 2022
dgbanj:
2 x 120AH Trillion Energy Battery (Brand new)
Price: 50k per each (Fixed)
Whatsapp: 0806 860 0759
How long have you used them?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dgbanj: 12:47am On Aug 03, 2022
Intellab:

How long have you used them?

It is still inside the carton never used.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Intellab(m): 12:59am On Aug 03, 2022
dgbanj:

It is still inside the carton never used.
Send pics on WhatsApp - 07062477194
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Expertt: 6:34am On Aug 03, 2022
Good morning guys , please what type and size of surge, lightning or thunder protection do I buy for 8kw Inverter
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pcoolioz(m): 6:42am On Aug 03, 2022
Hi All, please does anyone know how to handle this. My inverter reads a higher volt than the BMS/meter on the battery. This just started a couple of days ago but it has happened last year.

Can’t remember how it sorted itself out. Sometimes, the inverter volt gets so high that the inverter trips off for overloading. Meanwhile, the BMS app says it’s fine and there is no overload. Has anyone experienced this before?

The first 29.3 is the battery volt shown by the inverter. It trips off at 30. Usually when the battery is full. The second is the meter on the battery which shows 26.4 volt and what the BMS app also says.

@ojeysky
@mcfopt
@Valto
@earthrealm

Anyone with this experience please your input is needed.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by litaninja(m): 9:03am On Aug 03, 2022
Be like Agric science answer. Advantages and disadvantages of lithium

LA takes more space | Li takes less space
LA is heavier | Li is lighter
LA has lower DOD | Li has higher DOD

... grin grin

FEGEITOK:
Thank you everyone for your responses to the Lead Acid and Lithium debate

Key takeaways:

1. Lead acid takes more space, Lithium takes less space
2. Lead acid is heavier, Lithium is lighter
3. Lead acid has a lower DOD, Lithium has a higher DOD
4. Lead acid can give fewer cycles, Lithium can give more cycles
5. Lead acid is cheaper, Lithium is more expensive
6. Lead acid has relatively been cheaper all along, Lithium has only recently become more generally affordable
7. Lead acid has less capacity, Lithium has more capacity
8. Lead acid has inferior charging efficiency, Lithium has superior charging efficiency
9. Lead acid is cheaper, Lithium is a tad more expensive

That said, I think that my first Lead acid installation will last a very long time, it has not been fully discharged since been set up.

Infact, I turned it off each time that I got the low battery warning and that has happened less than 10 times. Each time that would happen, I recharged them using the generator.

I intend to add solar panels so I can do the charging without mains or generators.

With what I know about DOD, I will never allow the batteries to go beyond that.

But now having compared and contrasted the options open to me, I decided that it is better to upsize the installation to support fridge, freezer and AC than try to purchase Direct Current fridge and freezers.

I also want several days of autonomy.

I also want all heavy loads of the mains, I intend to use mains only for lighting and my backup power source, and that is how all those questions came about.

Your input (by your, I mean everyone who spoke for and against Lead acid batteries) has been invaluable and I attempt to take this route.

Thanks.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1217) (1218) (1219) (1220) (1221) (1222) (1223) ... (1676) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: jiday4(m), Tholluwalase(m), Dam5reey1(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.