Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,698 members, 7,805,882 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:50 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (1309) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2038092 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1306) (1307) (1308) (1309) (1310) (1311) (1312) ... (1674) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jonescosmo(m): 9:43am On Dec 01, 2022
zeestone99:
Available now

Greenpole 100ah 48v lithium battery - 920k

Dm for spec sheet

Call/chat - 08117398294

Boss, post the Datasheet here. That should be a public info and a selling point too.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 9:59am On Dec 01, 2022
odimbannamdi:

Please, how did they do do a new dedicated earthinh for the inverter? Also, how can I NOT hook it up to earthing at all? I can't see any useful videos on Youtube

If you want to DIY you will need the following:

1) Earth rod and earth clamp bolt
2) Earth mat, there are already made in the market, or you can buy 20mm or 25mm flat copper tape and DIY the thing.
3) 16mm² single core cable to run to the earth connection in db or changeover
4) Industrial salt
5) Charcoal
6) Cow/ or poultry droppings

1) Dig a hole (at least 4 feet)

2) Put your copper rod in and drive it down till it's flush with the ground

3) Use clamp to secure the 16mm² wire to the rod and make a good electrical connection to the earth mat. This wire will run to the final earth location which is your inverter in this instance.

4) Add industrial salt and charcoal.

5) Pour in water to mix.

6) Add the dung and pour in more water.

7) Finally, cover the hole

The whole purpose of providing earthing is to discharge the leakage/fault current safely to the ground. All these are just to increase the conductivity of the soil or reduce its resistance. Adding of charcoal, cow dung, industrial salt and water (termed as conditioning of pit) decreases soil resistivity. Industrial standards requires that the soil resiativity be less than 5 ohm.

A dedicated earth is just an earth for a particular device, the whole house may have an earth which may have failed or compromised, a new dedicated earth is just for the equipment you want to secure.

The experts may have other great ways of doing this.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by isangjohnson: 10:18am On Dec 01, 2022
Someone in another forum used fuse combiner box to turn off the PV DC before it enters the house. According to him, it's another line of defence in an attempts to keep lightning out of the expensive electronics.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 12:27pm On Dec 01, 2022
isangjohnson:
Someone in another forum used fuse combiner box to turn off the PV DC before it enters the house. According to him, it's another line of defence in an attempts to keep lightning out of the expensive electronics.

Doing that without incorporating a suitably sized dc arrestor with the breaker....really would not achieve much, in terms of lightning protection

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by demandtruth: 12:35pm On Dec 01, 2022
Hello guys,

Please, advise on the reliability of the following. I'm thinking of getting the system and haul into a container to Nigeria.

Description
A complete 8.4kW grid-tie solar system. We just removed this from a rooftop in Milton. We originally installed this about 10 years ago. Everything works and is fully warrantied for the next 8 years!

The cost of this equipment new would be around $15,000.

It comes with everything you need including the following;

35 Sharp 240W NDL240Q2 solar panels
35 Enphase micro-inverters
Racking and flashed mounting components to install on a asphalt shingle roof.
Grounding components and wiring
Trunk cable and home run wiring.
Squirrel Guard

Install it yourself or we can quote installation also.

Complete 8.4kW Solar System - Panels, Inverter, Mounting
$5,500
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jonescosmo(m): 12:48pm On Dec 01, 2022
I feel I should say something about this earthing thing.

Most people make the mistake of connecting their PV earth to the existing house earth. THIS IS SO WRONG. DO NOT EARTH YOUR PV TO YOUR HOUSE EARTH, Do a separate earth installation for your PV.

For the people frying inverters due to earth related problems. Please make sure you are not making this mistake ooo.

Finally, Before installing any inverter, make sure you take readings or the Load L/N/PE Poles there should be no continuity between any combination of these poles. If you get a reading, look for the culprit and eliminate it before powering anything up from the inverter.
If you have a UPS, eliminate it. Reason is because most UPS has a Neutral to Earth Relay that closes anytime the AC input cuts off and this is very bad for an inverter. In other words, DO NOT USE ANY UPS IF YOU HAVE INVERTER

Your earth construction must not be less than 8 feet deep also in addition to the list published above.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jonescosmo(m): 12:55pm On Dec 01, 2022
demandtruth:

Hello guys,

Please, advise on the reliability of the following. I'm thinking of getting the system and haul into a container to Nigeria.

Description
A complete 8.4kW grid-tie solar system. We just removed this from a rooftop in Milton. We originally installed this about 10 years ago. Everything works and is fully warrantied for the next 8 years!

Squirrel Guard

$5,500

If I understood you. Did you say $15,000 + $5,500?

Sounds penny wise, pounds foolish to me for a fairly used system. I didn't see anything about the battery ooo. Is the battery included in this package?

Source your gadgets locally and have peace.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 1:16pm On Dec 01, 2022
olaolu11:
Greetings house.
Please I need advice for what to get for a shop on low budget. Load is,

60 watts oscillating fan
40(4×10) watts bulbs
100 watts(not sure) tv
Personal phone charging (5 pieces).
All will be on for duration 8.00am to 7.00 pm daily.

Will these items do the work?
100 watts panel
10a pwm charge controller
40ah lead acid battery
300a msw inverter.
As an unrepentant DIYer, I am setting it up myself
Thank you.

PS: If I opt for li-on battery, it will be like how much for it?

Hope I read this post well?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by isangjohnson: 1:33pm On Dec 01, 2022
jonescosmo:

Sounds penny wise, pounds foolish to me for a fairly used system. I didn't see anything about the battery ooo. Is the battery included in this package?

To my own understanding, he said the cost of shipping the new products to Nigeria in a container is $15,000.
Now the cost of shipping this used products in a container isn't clearly stated.
Talking about $15,000 for container shipment could be 40 feet container, I may be wrong, though country of importation isn't known.
Again, I'm thinking other items will also be in the container. If I'm right, then there's a way you can handle it cost effective wise in terms of clearing in Nigeria.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 2:06pm On Dec 01, 2022
demandtruth:

Hello guys,

Description

Squirrel Guard

$5,500

Not to rain on your parade,
might be more cost effective for you to sell these items abroad and not bother shipping it down.
Used 250w panel should be about 40k to 50k in nigeria. New one say about 60k to 75k.

Microinverters are not commonly used in nigeria as well
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by odimbannamdi(m): 2:39pm On Dec 01, 2022
dbshaywhy:
Good morning professionals...

1pcs 30a epever tracer 3210A(the old model)

Thanks as I much expect your positive response.

Hello bro,

Could you please share pictures of your Epever CC?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by emmy9500: 2:41pm On Dec 01, 2022
Juror:

did the installer tell you that the setup would power these or you're the one assuming?
Because your batteries are already dead, even before installation.

Ah that is what the installer said o

So the problem is the ba3 right?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by isangjohnson: 2:43pm On Dec 01, 2022
earthrealm:

Not to rain on your parade,
might be more cost effective for you to sell these items abroad and not bother shipping it down.
Used 250w panel should be about 40k to 50k in nigeria. New one say about 60k to 75k.

Microinverters are not commonly used in nigeria as well
Boss, this is a nice deal... Forget about the skeletal information given which the guy may not even know.
Let him handover the job to those able guys in Lekki Axis of Lagos and get the job polished. Lol
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by emmy9500: 2:44pm On Dec 01, 2022
Jefferyzz:
U will need to check d name plate of the freezer. But my guess is 130w. My 160l freezer is 109w
Pumping machine is how many hp. I'm using 0.75hp n my 2.5kva displays 53% usage wen it's on.
Wat kind of fan
Check ur tvs back but Im guessing like 100w. Mine is 74
For the lightening.. u might decide to buy 5w bulbs if ur current type is consuming more
Check ur laptop adapter for d wattage. If u can't figure it out. State d model.
Wat kind of washing machine. Check d name plate.
In my honest opinion. Ditch those lead acid batteries for lifepo4. U wont b spending up to 100k more for more power n durability n longevity. U won't b spending up to 1m even if u decide use lifepo4 with 1200w panels sef

I have check the power ratings of the devices

80w TV
126W fan (2)
Washing machine - 370W
Freezer- 160w
Pump is 1HP( I don’t know that watts equivalent)
15 10W bulb
5 bulbs (energy saving, don’t know their power ratin)
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TechGeek777: 3:12pm On Dec 01, 2022
Jefferyzz:

A 2.5kva inverter with continuous power of 2kw n surge of 6kw will handle ur load just 5n n u'll get 1 for 150k.

Please bro which brand is this inverter and what's the idle consumption is it less than 20W?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 3:38pm On Dec 01, 2022
for those that want order high quality grade A lifepo4 battery cells. SELINA LI of shenzhen deriy new energy technology company Ltd is your sure bet. if u buy from her, your cells will arrive in approximately 3months and u will be rest assured of quality
https://deriy.m.en.alibaba.com

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Prince3(m): 5:35pm On Dec 01, 2022
jonescosmo:

No. He is telling you that the original price for a new one is around 15k dollar. But he will be giving it out for 5k dollar sir.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by odimbannamdi(m): 7:32pm On Dec 01, 2022
Valto:
for those that want order high quality grade A lifepo4 battery cells. SELINA LI of shenzhen deriy new energy technology company Ltd is your sure bet. if u buy from her, your cells will arrive in approximately 3months and u will be rest assured of quality
https://deriy.m.en.alibaba.com

I think there are some issues with Salina now.

There are a few guys from here that did a joint purchase from Salina nearly 4 months ago or so. As 2 weeks ago, their consignment was yet to be shipped, and she failed to update them until one of the followed up squarely. Her communication is quite poor. Though she promised them some compensation for the delays.

Just trying to give some heads-up though so that guys from here will know what they are up against

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 7:48pm On Dec 01, 2022
odimbannamdi:

I think there are some issues with Salina now.

There are a few guys from here that did a joint purchase from Salina nearly 4 months ago or so. As 2 weeks ago, their consignment was yet to be shipped, and she failed to update them until one of the followed up squarely. Her communication is quite poor. Though she promised them some compensation for the delays.
Just trying to give some heads-up though so that guys from here will know what they are up against
it was a shipping company delay. selina sent out thier cells on time to the shipping company and there was delays from their end due to some documentations. it has been resolved since and thier cells are on the way to naija. this is just a one off problem which cannot be used to judge her delivery time frame. many people on this thread has been receiving thier cells from selina in sometimes less than 3months.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by odimbannamdi(m): 7:53pm On Dec 01, 2022
Valto:
it was a shipping company delay. selina sent out thier cells on time to the shipping company and there was delays from their end due to some documentations. it has been resolved since and thier cells are on the way to naija. this is just a one off problem which cannot be used to judge her delivery time frame. many people on this thread has been receiving thier cells from selina in sometimes less than 3months.

Oh! Not bad then.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Jefferyzz(m): 8:23pm On Dec 01, 2022
Crown Ricco plus. Idle consumption is less or equal to 28w. It has a big toroidal transformer inside it. N d inverter is very heavy.
TechGeek777:

Please bro which brand is this inverter and what's the idle consumption is it less than 20W?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by odimbannamdi(m): 8:24pm On Dec 01, 2022
mctfopt:

2) Earth mat, there are already made in the market, or you can buy 20mm or 25mm flat copper tape and DIY the thing.
4) Industrial salt
5) Charcoal

3) Use clamp to secure the 16mm² wire to the rod and make a good electrical connection to the earth mat. This wire will run to the final earth location which is your inverter in this instance.

5) Pour in water to mix.

The whole purpose of providing earthing is to discharge the leakage/fault current safely to the ground. All these are just to increase the conductivity of the soil or reduce its resistance. Adding of charcoal, cow dung, industrial salt and water (termed as conditioning of pit) decreases soil resistivity. Industrial standards requires that the soil resiativity be less than 5 ohm.

A dedicated earth is just an earth for a particular device, the whole house may have an earth which may have failed or compromised, a new dedicated earth is just for the equipment you want to secure.

Lol...did I just see salt, cow droppings, charcoal egg... grin...sounds so much like items like sacrifice... cheesy

Thanks though for the insights, boss. I really appreciate. I will pass it on to them.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Jefferyzz(m): 8:31pm On Dec 01, 2022
2.5kva transformer(toroidal) based go work.
U just won't b able to use ur pumping machine with d washing machine. Infact while pumping d likes of tv, freezer and washing machine must b off. 1hp will take something around to 1200w continuous draw. I'll advice u go for lifepo4 batteries too.
emmy9500:

I have check the power ratings of the devices

80w TV
126W fan (2)
Washing machine - 370W
Freezer- 160w
Pump is 1HP( I don’t know that watts equivalent)
15 10W bulb
5 bulbs (energy saving, don’t know their power ratin)
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 8:43pm On Dec 01, 2022
jonescosmo:

Boss, post the Datasheet here. That should be a public info and a selling point too.

No vex. Here u go

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 8:58pm On Dec 01, 2022
The purpose of a fuse or breaker is to protect cables/wires from passing through a current larger than they are rated for and heating up and causing a fire.

In the case of a lightning induced surge, the fault current would have passed through the fuse or breaker and wreaked havoc faster than the fuse can blow or the breaker can trip.

Further if you already tripped off your breaker because you anticipated a lightning hit, the arc can easily pass through the open breaker and still wreak havoc.

Moral of the story - invest first in a low resistance earth, connect all your equipment to the earth bus for safety and if at risk include suitable SPDs into your installation

isangjohnson:

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 9:07pm On Dec 01, 2022
For permanent good results, it is better to use a suitable GEM premix in place of animal dung, salt, charcoal etc.

A good GEM premix properly applied will create a very stable low resistance earth for several years with no need to do any topups or further work

See example picture below

mctfopt:

4) Industrial salt
5) Charcoal

5) Pour in water to mix.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 9:18pm On Dec 01, 2022
NiyiOmoIyunade:
For permanent good results, it is better to use a suitable GEM premix in place of animal dung, salt, charcoal etc.

A good GEM premix properly applied will create a very stable low resistance earth for several years with no need to do any topups or further work

See example picture below

This is awesome addition. Is this premix widely available in the local market? Would love a premix since sourcing all these can sometimes be a pain.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 9:26pm On Dec 01, 2022
You may want to qualify that most of these are your opinions based perhaps on personal experience as they do not conform to electrical code.

The NEC and UK codes specify a single equipotential earth bond per facility - connect all earth rods and earth sinks/sources together externally. The single combined earth enhances personnel safety (check out 'step and fall potential') and a properly bonded system prevents loops and creates one large massive fault sink per facility where the whole is more effective than the sum of its parts.

Perhaps what you meant to say is that the PV earth cable should not be connected to the main DB but rather directly to the earth rod or busbar.

A proper inverter will make a neutral to earth bond whenever mains or Gen is not available, the code requirement is to have this neutral to earth bond in only 1 single place in the electrical system at any given time hence neutral is jumpered to earth at the service entrance or supply distribution - when the mains or Gen supply fails, the inverter will immediately make the bond and guarantee that earth leakage and residual current devices will trip quickly - again these are targeted more at personnel safety than anything else and need to be used in a compatible electrical system.

I am laboring a bit to explain the backend workings here because the UPS will never make the neutral to earth bond while powered from mains or inverter and as soon as supply is restored the UPS will break the bond. I advise people to not use a UPS unless uninterrupted supply is mission critical more because it is a waste of energy to keep the UPS battery topped off and also the losses within the equipment itself.

jonescosmo:
I feel I should say something about this earthing thing.

Most people make the mistake of connecting their PV earth to the existing house earth. THIS IS SO WRONG. DO NOT EARTH YOUR PV TO YOUR HOUSE EARTH, Do a separate earth installation for your PV.

For the people frying inverters due to earth related problems. Please make sure you are not making this mistake ooo.

Finally, Before installing any inverter, make sure you take readings or the Load L/N/PE Poles there should be no continuity between any combination of these poles. If you get a reading, look for the culprit and eliminate it before powering anything up from the inverter.
If you have a UPS, eliminate it. Reason is because most UPS has a Neutral to Earth Relay that closes anytime the AC input cuts off and this is very bad for an inverter. In other words, DO NOT USE ANY UPS IF YOU HAVE INVERTER

Your earth construction must not be less than 8 feet deep also in addition to the list published above.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 9:27pm On Dec 01, 2022
Very available boss. I will be glad to hook you up.

mctfopt:

This is awesome addition. Is this premix widely available in the local market? Would love a premix since sourcing all these can sometimes be a pain.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 9:35pm On Dec 01, 2022
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Very available boss. I will be glad to hook you up.

Saw this on Konga and "surprisingly" tongue it's made in India

India has taken over the power sector and manufacturing everything from breakers to transformers.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by demandtruth: 11:58pm On Dec 01, 2022
jonescosmo:

Everything included is offered for: $5,500 CAD.

I'll plan to offer $3,500
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by demandtruth: 12:04am On Dec 02, 2022
isangjohnson:

To my own understanding, he said the cost of shipping the new products to Nigeria in a container is $15,000.
Now the cost of shipping this used products in a container isn't clearly stated.
Talking about $15,000 for container shipment could be 40 feet container, I may be wrong, though country of importation isn't known.
Again, I'm thinking other items will also be in the container. If I'm right, then there's a way you can handle it cost effective wise in terms of clearing in Nigeria.

Offered for $5,500 Canadian dollars

I'm gonna counter-offer for $3,500 CAD

It costs me very little for freight in a container because of other vehicles in the container.

Clearing costs would be as personal effect. Which is little compared to costs of duty on the vehicles
that'll be in the container

(1) (2) (3) ... (1306) (1307) (1308) (1309) (1310) (1311) (1312) ... (1674) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Oshomo12(m), aterejr(m), walexsos, jameslojohn(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.