Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,622 members, 7,840,486 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 06:57 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (1522) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2110276 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1519) (1520) (1521) (1522) (1523) (1524) (1525) ... (1722) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 2:12pm On Nov 18, 2023
bassdow:

That would depend on if were you in Science or Commercial or Art class While in SeniorSecondarySchool
Let's pretend I know nothing of the underlying science and (as the public forum this is) you want to educate the readers of this thread.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bassdow: 2:43pm On Nov 18, 2023
Saipro:

Let's pretend I know nothing of the underlying science and (as the public forum this is) you want to educate the readers of this thread.
Let's pretend YOU know EVERYthing of the underlying science and (as the public forum this is) you want to WASTE 
TIME OF the readers of this thread.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bassdow: 2:47pm On Nov 18, 2023
Saipro:

Interesting. However, I concur with your publications. I've been on this path for over 25 years so my tenure as "gateman of the technology corridors" has given me lots of exposure. I have a stack of BYD LiFePO4 batteries bought off an industrial setup which was written off as end-of-life; they were cycled heavily and at somewhat high temperatures. Grade A batteries however.

A few years down the line and they're undoubtedly the best cost per Watt investment I've ever made in my renewable energy journey. I bought 3 sets for 3 different homes and everyone wishes they'd bought more. Fridge, freezer and AC in my house are permanently on. [b]Whenever you see Grade A cells, grab 'em! [/b]They're rarely advertised for long.

EDIT: I should mention I charge at 1C up to 70% then gradually throttle down as they approach full charge. Every 4 months, they sit at full charge for a few weeks (top balancing) then are cycled between 20% and 85%. They almost never fall below 40%, even when I cook for our mini-parties (I use induction cookers).

That ADVICE of yours might not always work, because not everyOne has got the quality of knowledge like you do. Plus it's not always gonna be same way. That it worked well for you that time, doesn't necessarily mean it would work same on next attempt.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by isangjohnson: 5:20pm On Nov 18, 2023
Saipro:

Interesting. However, I concur with your publications. I've been on this path for over 25 years so my tenure as "gateman of the technology corridors" has given me lots of exposure. I have a stack of BYD LiFePO4 batteries bought off an industrial setup which was written off as end-of-life; they were cycled heavily and at somewhat high temperatures. Grade A batteries however.

A few years down the line and they're undoubtedly the best cost per Watt investment I've ever made in my renewable energy journey. I bought 3 sets for 3 different homes and everyone wishes they'd bought more. Fridge, freezer and AC in my house are permanently on. Whenever you see Grade A cells, grab 'em! They're rarely advertised for long.

EDIT: I should mention I charge at 1C up to 70% then gradually throttle down as they approach full charge. Every 4 months, they sit at full charge for a few weeks (top balancing) then are cycled between 20% and 85%. They almost never fall below 40%, even when I cook for our mini-parties (I use induction cookers).
If I may ask, how do you recognize grade A cells?
Dubious cells sellers has taken advantage of people's ignorance in this field.
As for me, I don't usually ask for grade A cells because of the high price. I only request for quality cells from the company I used to buy from. Once I charge the cells at 1C up to about 70% before I throttled down, discharge at 1C down to 3.0v and see 0.03v to 0.04v voldiff, then the cells are quality ones for me.
From my personal experience, irrespective of how well one top balance defective or bad cells, charging and discharging will not gets to 1C before you start seeing voldiff of 0.20v to 0.30v

6 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 5:21pm On Nov 18, 2023
bassdow:

Let's pretend YOU know EVERYthing of the underlying science and (as the public forum this is) you want to WASTE 
TIME OF the readers of this thread.
I apologise, if the science statement rubbed off you the wrong way. I come from all 3 backgrounds. I merely believe your readers come from all walks of life. This thread began as a way to be a compendium/resource for all things to support the FTA rave of the time. Along the way, it became about all things renewable energy and the FTA aspect was relegated to the background.

I'll simply state what I had in mind. Peukert's law. You were talking about power equivalents thus a comparison of 12V 400AH vs 24V 200AH vs 48V 100AH is apt, being the same stored energy quantity. I1V1 = I2V2 = I3V3. It means one could draw the same amount of energy at lower current, if you raise the nominal voltage. In practical applications, the amount of power each is capable of delivering differs, as energy drawn varies due to discharge inefficiencies (mostly as a result of the internal resistance of the batteries vis a vis a resultant heating too). As a result, higher voltage systems would often perform more efficiently, as the amount of energy drawn increases. In practice, the upper limit of continuous discharge in a 12V system is about 6kW, beyond which you stand a real risk of melting the battery terminals or creating weird fluxes in the electrolyte (if FLA). Most conventional chargers don't exceed 120A thus limiting charge to an 1.8kW max anyway.

The resistance of the cabling matters just as much. This is why cable diameter and transmission distance matter! Multi-stranded chosen as superior to single strand.

My intention was not to waste anyone's time.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 5:22pm On Nov 18, 2023
bassdow:

That ADVICE of yours might not always work, because not everyOne has got the quality of knowledge like you do. Plus it's not always gonna be same way. That it worked well for you that time, doesn't necessarily mean it would work same on next attempt.
You are quite correct.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 5:28pm On Nov 18, 2023
isangjohnson:

If I may ask, how do you recognize grade A cells?
Dubious cells sellers has taken advantage of people's ignorance in this field.
As for me, I don't usually ask for grade A cells because of the high price. I only request for quality cells from the company I used to buy from. Once I charge the cells at 1C up to about 70% before I throttled down, discharge at 1C down to 3.0v and see 0.03v to 0.04v voldiff, then the cells are quality ones for me.
From my personal experience, irrespective of how well one top balance defective or bad cells, charging and discharging will not gets to 1C before you start seeing voldiff of 0.20v to 0.30v
In truth, I don't have a readymade answer to that. I do know they don't often appear in the end-user market and as bassdow affirmed, they are typically incorporated into other consumer electronics. I do believe if a large enough number of us gather for a group buy (as done many times before), Grade-A cells won't be out of reach. My concern would be procurement costs and if the transfer of such costs would be competitive in the open market. I suspect that's why we don't routinely encounter them.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bassdow: 5:33pm On Nov 18, 2023
Saipro:

I apologise, if the science statement rubbed off you the wrong way. I come from all 3 backgrounds. I merely believe your readers come from all walks of life. This thread began as a way to be a compendium/resource for all things to support the FTA rave of the time. Along the way, it became about all things renewable energy and the FTA aspect was relegated to the background.

I'll simply state what I had in mind. Peukert's law. You were talking about power equivalents thus a comparison of 12V 400AH vs 24V 200AH vs 48V 100AH is apt, being the same stored energy quantity. I1V1 = I2V2 =I3V3. It means one could draw the same amount of energy at lower current, if you raise the nominal voltage. In practical applications, the amount of power each is capable of delivering differs, as energy drawn varies due to discharge inefficiencies (mostly as a result of the internal resistance of the batteries vis a vis a resultant heating too). As a result, higher voltage systems would often perform more efficiently, as the amount of energy drawn increases. In practice, the upper limit of continuous discharge in a 12V system is about 6kW, beyond which you stand a real risk of melting the battery terminals or creating weird fluxes in the electrolyte (if FLA). Most conventional chargers don't exceed 120A thus limiting charge to an 1.8kW max anyway.

The resistance of the cabling matters just as much. This is why cable diameter and transmission distance matter! Multi-stranded chosen as superior to single strand.

FUNNY enough, I took no offence in what you said or didn't.
When I am in here, na to deStress maself. Moreover no be everyBody get strength to vex.

My response was more like You understood me, YET probably pretending you didn't so I speak further, BUT you forget say food don cost, so we dey talk small small nowAdays so as to conserve energy.

As for all the grammar and formular you write above, if we begin do like that, mean say we don forget say no be everyBody sabi reach such level.

For here, I prefer writing in ways even the DUMB ones among us, expecially us wey go backYard college, go grab.
if you begin state law, write formulars,, and speak big big gramar, most of us go loss.

Now all things bbeing SAME, it's much more efficient INVERTing from higher voltage, than from lower voltage hence 48-volts system is much efficient, than 24-volts system, and 12-volts system is more efficient than trying to BOOST from 5-Volts to say 240-Volts.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 5:34pm On Nov 18, 2023
bassdow:

When I am in here, na to deStress maself. Moreover no be everyBody get strength to vex.

My response was more like You understood me, YET probably pretending you didn't so I speak further, BUT you forget say food don cost, so we dey talk small small nowAdays so as to conserve energy.

As for all the grammar and formular you write above, if we begin do like that, mean say we don forget say no be everyBody sabi reach such level.

For here, I prefer writing in ways even the DUMB ones among us, expecially us wey go backYard college, go grab.
if you begin state law, write formulars,, and speak big big gramar, most of us go loss.

Now all things bbeing SAME, it's much more efficient INVERTing from higher voltage, than from lower voltage hence 48-volts system is much efficient, than 24-volts system, and 12-volts system is more efficient than trying to BOOST from 5-Volts to say 240-Volts.
Word!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by isangjohnson: 5:39pm On Nov 18, 2023
casualobserver:

True.

Interesting read that also shatters the misconception that testing for capacity is an indication of the quality of a cell.

A grade B cell can test for capacity and be dead in 3 years.

https://www.lifepo4-battery.com/News/EVE-GRADE-A.html

Unfortunately, those smart people are now replacing the barcodes.
I always peel off the qr code of some of my cells to check if it has been touched.
I've some Eve cells 280ah boldly written B on top of the qr code.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by isangjohnson: 8:06pm On Nov 18, 2023
bassdow:

Those that are not interested in the practical physics may overlook it.
We're here to learn Boss.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by FEGEITOK: 3:34am On Nov 19, 2023
samir101ng:

Why go through that long process when you can get from dealers in Abuja ?

JA Solar, Jinko and Longi all have reps in Abuja that can supply you here. If your in the DIY Telegram group, send me a DM.

I am not. Will send you an email.

I wanted to get Canadian Solar.

But the cost per watt isn't making sense after adding up the cost of transportation.

I will have to stick to those already in Abuja so I can bring the cost per watt into reasonable territory.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojehmario1969(m): 12:11pm On Nov 19, 2023
kiekie1:
HIGH QUALITY BATTERY !! DISCOUNTED SALES !!!

STARPLUS 12v 220a tubular battery.
2 yrs warranty.

Price:
N116,000 per unit,
N114,000 "2 units",
N110,000 "8 units upwards" ...

STAR PLUS 12v automobile battery
75a ...... 25,000
100a .... 35,000

For further enquiry & purchase;
Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL LINE: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: http://.us/w/?c=a46ea5
Good afternoon. How much is the starplus battery now?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by isangjohnson: 1:10pm On Nov 19, 2023
Please, those that are using Jbd bms should give me more education on it.
I attached 150A Jbd bms to 160ah 48v battery bank and carried out all the settings to the best of my knowledge.
The major challenge I'm having now is how to push the soc to 100% while charging. The soc usually stop at 98% with individual cells of about 3.4v each.
At this point, the individual cells will keep charging, moving forward to my set value of 3.45v each and the TotalVolt will equally move to 55.22v.
Why is the soc not moving to 100% as the individual cells and TotalVolt are moving?
At 3.45v each cells and 55.22v TotalVolt, the battery is fully charged and won't accept charge again. Once I noticed this, I would go to Control and click on Reset Capacity to push the soc to 100%.
Is this the usual practice in jbd bms?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by obitobe: 2:13pm On Nov 19, 2023
Saipro:

I'll simply state what I had in mind. Peukert's law. You were talking about power equivalents thus a comparison of 12V 400AH vs 24V 200AH vs 48V 100AH is apt, being the same stored energy quantity. I1V1 = I2V2 = I3V3. It means one could draw the same amount of energy at lower current, if you raise the nominal voltage. In practical applications, the amount of power each is capable of delivering differs, as energy drawn varies due to discharge inefficiencies (mostly as a result of the internal resistance of the batteries vis a vis a resultant heating too). As a result, higher voltage systems would often perform more efficiently, as the amount of energy drawn increases. In practice, the upper limit of continuous discharge in a 12V system is about 6kW, beyond which you stand a real risk of melting the battery terminals or creating weird fluxes in the electrolyte (if FLA). Most conventional chargers don't exceed 120A thus limiting charge to an 1.8kW max anyway.

Bros the upper limit for a 12v system is 2KW beyond this is bad, while that of 24 is 4KW and that of 48v is 8KW.

please see this youtube link for explanation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXUubR-CEaU&t=483s
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by futurenix(m): 2:15pm On Nov 19, 2023
isangjohnson:
I attached 150A Jbd bms to 160ah 48v battery bank and carried out all the settings to the best of my knowledge.
The major challenge I'm having now is how to push the soc to 100% while charging. The soc usually stop at 98% with individual cells of about 3.4v each.
At this point, the individual cells will keep charging, moving forward to my set value of 3.45v each and the TotalVolt will equally move to 55.22v.
Why is the soc not moving to 100% as the individual cells and TotalVolt are moving?
At 3.45v each cells and 55.22v TotalVolt, the battery is fully charged and won't accept charge again. Once I noticed this, I would go to Control and click on Reset Capacity to push the soc to 100%.
I had the same problem of constantly Resetting that Jbd BMS and got tired.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by oloet: 3:49pm On Nov 19, 2023
isangjohnson:

It has to do with your SOC settings, here is my battery

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durodee(m): 4:15pm On Nov 19, 2023
I have often wondered why we have not being seeing your posts . We missed you and you missed some skirmishes here.
Saipro:
By tomorrow, it would be two years since my last post here. Life happens but I'm back, better than ever. I see a lot has changed. That's the nature of the world. I've missed you all. Let's get back to business.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by isangjohnson: 5:26pm On Nov 19, 2023
oloet:

It has to do with your SOC settings, here is my battery

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by oloet: 5:32pm On Nov 19, 2023
isangjohnson:

This is mine. The soc usually stop at 98% while the individual cells and TotalVolt will keep charging till it gets to the set value.
Could you please let me know the settings?
Thanks
I don't know why picture refused to upload, please send me mail at my username@yahoo.com with your WhatsApp number
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by isangjohnson: 5:59pm On Nov 19, 2023
Please, ignore the first two pictures.
These are the pictures I'm talking about.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by isangjohnson: 6:00pm On Nov 19, 2023
oloet:

I don't know why picture refused to upload, please send me mail at my username@yahoo.com with your WhatsApp number
I'll do that now Sir.
Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 8:15pm On Nov 19, 2023
isangjohnson:

I'll do that now Sir.
Thanks
change *single full voltage* on your bms app to 3.47v..nothing wrong with your bms
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by isangjohnson: 5:49am On Nov 20, 2023
Valto:
change *single full voltage* on your bms app to 3.47v..nothing wrong with your bms
Thanks Sir
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Successbay: 6:07am On Nov 20, 2023
Thank you sir

bassdow:

can't suggest any at your price range. Except you want to buy USED.

See eh, suggesting ain't even enough because of lots of rePackaged batteries in the market.

Buy yeye batttery, and you would find yourself having them changed every year. e no go even complete 12-months sef.
First e go start to QUICK full, then e go start to QUICK low
You're better off buying USED quality battery that still have strength, than those funny brand new batteries wey full market. Even their price cheap pass USED batteries.

if you can't afford all the batteries you need, buy in bits - first buy quality solar panels, then quality [used] chargeController (MPPT is better) of higher capacity, then you could get away with buying cheap [used] inverter (depending on your energy requirements, sachet inverter should do), after which, should you need 5-batteries, just buy what your money can carry and manage it.
whenever you have more money, add extra solar panels and add to your existing setup. Solar panel is hardly enough. Just keep adding tll you have had at least 15-pcs of 300Watts panels. I don't often trust those panels of higher wattage, dem fit no complete. Also leave canada based Panels, na Nigeria we dey abeg.

Then constantly be on the lookout for quality USED batteries for sale. No go buy just any USED battery Ooo. OR better still save to buy a few batteries BUT most times, you might not actually need much batteries if you responsibly size your loads.
You don't have to run your Fridge / Freezer the entire day. You could power it ON from the moment your battery bank is Filled up (say 12PM), and Time is less than 3PM , and as soon as it's 3:30PM , you power it off, that should be approoximately +3 hours which is kinda enough. tell your household they shouldn't open the Fridge or freezer any how.

If you have things like Pumping machine, get a generator to power it. No need using solar on it. Leave that for those with deep pockets.

Just focus on overSizing your solar Panels. if you have much more of the panels, you would require less batteries, except you intends running lots of heavy loads at night and for long periods.
With overSized solar Panel array, you could even comfortably run your AiirConditioner during the day.

You also mustn't buy Tubular batteries, the normal Dry cell woorks well also. What matters is it's quality.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 12:54pm On Nov 20, 2023
RITAR PRODUCTS AVAILABLE!!!!

Ritar batteries :
100ah ........... 155k
105a ............. 165k
150a ............. 190k
200a ............. 225k

Signal solar panels:
350w ............. 113k
400w ............. 135k

Signal inverter :
1.1kva 12v sinewave............ 120k
1.1kva 12v wall mounted.... 125k
1.1kva 12v hybrid ................ 140k

1.5kva 24v sinewave............ 140k
1.5kva 24v wall mounted.... 145k
1.5kva 24v wall hybrid......... 160k

2kva 24v wall mounted........ 170k
2kva 24v hybrid .................... 190k

2.2kva 24v sinewave ............ 175k

2.5kva 24v sinewave ............ 235k
2.5kva 24v hybrid ..................255k

3.5kva 48v hybrid ...................400k

5kva 48v sinewave ................ 650k
5kva 48v hybrid ......................730k

7.5kva 96v sinewave ............ 770k
7.5kva 96v hybrid ..................880k

10kva 120v hybrid ..................1.4m

15kba 180v hybrid ..................1.8m

HURRY WHILST STOCK LAST!

Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL LINE::::: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: 081-703-85620

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sharks776(m): 9:54pm On Nov 20, 2023
Hello Good people,
Please does anyone has any experience using this lithium batteries (they are used)
The black is Huawei and white is mantrac. They are being offered to me as used.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 7:24am On Nov 21, 2023
we can couple in a nice high quality HDF wooden box cheesy
12v 104ah lifepo4 lithium battery
12v 208ah lifepo4 lithium battery
24v 104ah lifepo4 lithium battery
24v 208ah lifepo4 lithium battery
48v 173ah lifepo4 lithium battery
24v 312ah lifepo4 lithium battery
48v 104ah lifepo4 lithium battery
48v 208ah lifepo4 lithium battery
48v 346ah lifepo4 lithium battery

All made with brand new cells!
metal box also available.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kristien4(m): 8:32am On Nov 21, 2023
bassdow:

For a 48-volts inverter system, you need a minimum of 4-batteries (4pcs of batteries * 12-volts = 48-volts)

Now to properly charge a 12Volts 200AH battery daily, you need at least 2pcs of 300Watts solar panel. hence for 4-batteries, it's 2pcs of solar panel * 4 pcs of batteries = 8pcs of 300Watts solar panel.

So you need a minimum of 8 pcs of 300Watts solar panels. if you could buy more than 8pcs, better as your inverter 
could handle up to 16-pcs of 300Watts solar panels.

Meanwhile you didn't state the spces of your chargeController, or if you have any at all.
Hello bro... do you know about this trojan tubular batteries(made in USA), are they good.? Theyre being advertised/sold by gennex technologies

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bassdow: 9:28am On Nov 21, 2023
kristien4:
Hello bro... do you know about this trojan tubular batteries(made in USA), are they good.? Theyre being advertised/sold by gennex technologies

Don't know about gennex technologies

BUT

the trojan batteries (Made in USA) I know of, are one of the Bestest Best batteries. I haven't personally used them BUT have installed on 2 occassions. Issue be say, they are VeryVeryVeryVery expensive.
When you hear Solar batteries could last more than 8-years, Trojan batteries are those sort of batteries.

Meanwhile, the trojan batteries I know of, are mostly 6-Volts. Not familiar wiith anything higher than 6-Volts. I say make I talk am, in case our Nigerian brothers don help them manufacture higher capacities. Do your findings please

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kristien4(m): 9:32am On Nov 21, 2023
bassdow:

Don't know about gennex technologies BUT the trojan batteries I know of, are one of the Bestest Best batteries BUT I haven't personally used them BUT have installed it on 2 occassions. Issue be say, they are VeryVeryVeryVery expensive.
When you hear Solar batteries c ould last more than 8-years, Trojan bbatteries are those sort of batteries.
Gennex say na 245k... is that what u mean by very very expensive?

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bassdow: 9:40am On Nov 21, 2023
kristien4:
Gennex say na 245k... is that what u mean by very very expensive?

Hmm

Oga the price of a 6-Volts DryCell trojan battery is more than 200,000 naira.

Have often do you see Trojan batteries as Tokunbo for sale ?

ANyway price often depends more on the Amperage, than Voltage + I'm not upToDate with prices of such batteries since its rarely requested for.

And yea, when compared to other batteries, trojan batteries arre veryVery expensive

(1) (2) (3) ... (1519) (1520) (1521) (1522) (1523) (1524) (1525) ... (1722) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Dam5reey1(m), osayuwamwen(m), Sapiosexuality(m), Nahum777(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.