Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,340 members, 7,780,899 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:32 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (1990493 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (1634) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 11:20am On Jan 30, 2012
butoneday,
i get your point. that installation of yours is really worth monitoring. you no dey slack at all!

life707,
yes, i got your mail. i'll respond to it before the day runs out. cheers!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 2:47pm On Jan 30, 2012
@george d, wats the diff btw buying 2 pces of 12v 200ah n connecting it in parallel n buying 2 pces of 420ah 6v n connecting it in series?, wch is better.

a standard 200ah weighs abt 50kg, while the 420ah weighs abt 65kg?, n it seems the 420ah also has bigger footprints, pls advice.

also is there any way to measure the batt charging out put of an inverter?, i use goaxing 1kw n i doubt if it wud be able to charge any of the combo i listed above well
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 6:15pm On Jan 30, 2012
earthrealm,
when you buy 2pcs 200ah batteries and connect them in parallel, you get 400ah. on the other hand 2pcs 6v 420ah will give you 420ah. the difference lies in the connection. however, most seasoned inverter experts always try to avoid parallel connections for battery banks. reason being that except you are using very high grade batteries from a trusted manufacturer, chances are that all your batteries will not have the same internal resistance. because of this, one or two batteries in your parallel bank formation may end up acting as load for the other batteries to carry. therefore your batteries may degrade faster in a parallel setup when compared to those connected in series.

i hope you get the point?

now, for the money maths: to achieve a 12v, 400ah battery bank you need 2pcs 12v, 200ah batteries (as you rightly guessed). this translates to 110,000 (55k each in the local market).

to get the same or better size battery bank from those 6v 420ah batteries, you also need 2pcs.
this translates to 84,000 (42k each pre-order from canada). you save 26,000 naira and also get an extra 20ah to play with.

for peeps like me with a 48v battery bank, it even gets better. you will need eight 200ah batteries connected in series-parallel format to make 400ah. this will be 440k (55k each in the local market). the same trojans 6v, 420ah you will also need eight pieces at just 336k (42k each pre-order from canada). you save 110k for your battery bank and best of all, you get an extra 20ah for free!

i think you're beginning to see why i'm calling this deal the best deal anyone can get in these parts?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 11:20am On Jan 31, 2012
thanks for ur thorough analysis, i have always assumed that parallel connection is better since in series if one battery in the bank is bad say in ur 48v assembly. n this will make the total voltage drop below 48v prolly abt 45v wch might affect the functioning of ur inverter, but in a parallel assmbly the inverter will still work, just that the duration will be reduced

how do we do the preorder?, payment etc am in ph, also, i want to change my inverter, the goaxing inverter i think lacks the power to recharge the 420ah batt bank, what other affordale inverter 1kv to 1.5kv range wud u recommend .i wud prefer the type with a digital readout of charging n output voltage/amp
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 12:21pm On Jan 31, 2012
earthrealm,
most inverters we have here in the country do not have readouts for charging current. even the ones with lcd displays like cyberpower, sukam, etc do not display charging current they only display output voltage among other parameters. if you truely want the one with a readout for charging current i'm afraid you may need to go for xantrex or outback.

you can pre-order anywhere you are in the country. location does not matter.

as for parallel and series connections, that was my own opinion based on findings i made on the web. however, i must say there are those who opinions differ from this.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akerekoroabijawara(m): 1:46pm On Jan 31, 2012
@george D. I really commend you for your selfless service. Pls, i have 0.8kw inverter that is no more charging but supplies.i av a separate 30amp charger that i use to charge my 150ah battery.my question is:is it good to connect both the clips of the inverter n the charger to d terminals of the battery at the same time. Or should i connect the charger when i what to charge and remove and replace with the clips of the inverter when using the inverter.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 3:34pm On Jan 31, 2012
akerekoroabijawara,
it is generally not advisable to use a separate charger for your battery bank as there is always a tendency for the external charger to either over charge or under charge your bank thereby shortening battery life.

if your inverter has a charging fault the best thing to do is to repair it. but since you're already using a separate charger, pls always disconnect the charger anytime you're using your inverter and connect it back when you want to charge. this is because the charger voltage may not be suitable for your inverter to handle so using it to power your inverter may cause further damage.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akerekoroabijawara(m): 5:33pm On Jan 31, 2012
George_D:

akerekoroabijawara,
it is generally not advisable to use a separate charger for your battery bank as there is always a tendency for the external charger to either over charge or under charge your bank thereby shortening battery life.

if your inverter has a charging fault the best thing to do is to repair it. but since you're already using a separate charger, pls always disconnect the charger anytime you're using your inverter and connect it back when you want to charge. this is because the charger voltage may not be suitable for your inverter to handle so using it to power your inverter may cause further damage.
Thanks for ur prompt reply. I'm temporarily using separate charger.i will buy another inverter as soon as i av money. To avoid overcharging i intend buying digital multimeter to measure the voltage of my battery. Pls, fully charged 150ah battery will read what voltage?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 6:16pm On Jan 31, 2012
what am asking is, if i go the preorder route?, are u going to deliver it[the batteries] to portharcourt rivers state, without any extra charge?, also cud u recommend any good inverter 0.8kw to 1.5kw range pls include prices, thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 6:18pm On Jan 31, 2012
earthrealm,
the 42k cost for trojans cover cost of shipping and clearing at the port of lagos.

you'll have to pay for transporting them overland from lagos to port harcourt.

a good inverter will be sukam or cyberpower. i don't have the current prices
as of now.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 6:23pm On Jan 31, 2012
Akerekoroabijawara:

Thanks for ur prompt reply. I'm temporarily using separate charger.i will buy another inverter as soon as i av money. To avoid overcharging i intend buying digital multimeter to measure the voltage of my battery. Pls, fully charged 150ah battery will read what voltage?

a fully charged battery irrespective of size or ampherage will give you at least 12.7 volts.

http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/battery-basics.html
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 8:44pm On Jan 31, 2012
ok cud u gimme ur contact details email/phone/yahoo msnger nos, want 2 finalize the deal skyhigh0455 is my yahoo id,
@george
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 11:29am On Feb 01, 2012
earthrealm,
you got mail!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 7:15pm On Feb 02, 2012
all,
for those interested in the trojan 6v 420ah batteries and/or canadian 295w solar panels, we are now running against time because of the lead time it takes to manufacture and ship these items from canada.

as you know this is a pre-order and not something you go to lagos and pick off the shelf so it takes time. my man wants start the ordering process latest this weekend so that he can meet up with lead time to delivery.

for you to be part of this batch of pre-orders then you must indicate how many pieces of each item you want best time before monday. if not, i'm afraid we may go ahead with those who are ready at this time.

note: one advantage of a pre-order transaction is that you only pay a small percentage of the total cost of your items upfront (in this case it is 50%) then you pay the balance a few weeks later when the goods arrive. this helps you plan your finances better when compared to off-the-shelf purchases or cash-and-carry where you pay for everything at once.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by leyeto: 12:13pm On Feb 09, 2012
@George D more grease to your elbow just started reading the posts haven't gotten to the ending yet please can you email me your contact details have alot i really wanna enquire from you.
superflyleye@yahoo.com
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by leyeto: 12:26pm On Feb 09, 2012
George D preferably phone number but would understand if you can't send it.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 1:26pm On Feb 09, 2012
leyeto,
you got mail.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by obnelly: 1:36pm On Feb 09, 2012
George pls i need 1kva inverter.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 2:13pm On Feb 09, 2012
obnelly,
you can get either cyberpower:

http://www.cyberpower-eu.com/products/accessories/eps/cps1000e.htm

since you're in lagos, they're your best bet.

you can call them: 0803 2170 129,

or write to them: sales@buyright.biz
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by obnelly: 4:46pm On Feb 09, 2012
Thanks my brother I called cyberpower but said they have higher version.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 8:09am On Feb 10, 2012
obnelly,
try sukam. they have a 0.8kva model (which is a little bit below your need) and 1.4kva model (again a little bit above your needs). if you ask me i'd say to go for the 1.4kva because in the future your energy needs might increase and you may then need the extra power the 1.4kva can give you:

http://www.su-kam.com.ng/products.html

you can call their direct distributor in nigeria: +234-1-7740120

or email them: su-kam@simbaonline.net

or better still pay them a visit:

Simba Group of Companies
77/79 Eric Moore Road
Surulere
Lagos
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by cretin: 2:47pm On Feb 13, 2012
hello. i want to preorder, is it still possible?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by eleven(m): 11:17pm On Feb 13, 2012
@ George D & Other professionals in the house.

I just purchased a 1.4kva TEC inverter and a bit confused about the right batteries to use for it.

Please advise which of the below batteries are okay.

1. PRAG Batteries - Saw this at www.buyright.biz for 60K

2. Luminous Battery - called their office today for the price - Price is 48K

3. Zenith Battery- Read about it for the first time from George D's earlier comment today & googled it- Price is 53K

Please I am also open to other brands, just want to buy the right reliable, durable and quality batteries.

I understand batteries are the most important determinant of how well one enjoys an inverter and I want to buy the right quality.

My email is imoisilis@yahoo.com

Planning to buy this week. Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by eleven(m): 11:27pm On Feb 13, 2012
@ All,

Please inbox me the name of any zenith battery distributor in Lagos where I can get their original 200ah batteries.

Called buyright today, told they have run out of stock of Prag batteries.

My mail address is imoisilis@yahoo.com

Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 2:53pm On Feb 15, 2012
cretin:

hello. i want to preorder, is it still possible?

hello cretin,
i'm afraid the pre-order train has sailed off for now. but not to worry, another opportunity will present itself much later in the year. sorry about that.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 2:57pm On Feb 15, 2012
eleven,
call mr henry directly on 08025810677

he's the sole distributor of zenith batteries in nigeria. other resellers
do buy from him.

and, he has 200ah batteries in stock right now as we speak.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by eleven(m): 10:38pm On Feb 15, 2012
Thanks George, I will call him. Thank you.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BUTONEDAY(m): 8:16pm On Feb 20, 2012
All,

UPS equipment PRICE SLASH!!!

Here are the new prices for some Back up equipment.

1) SATURN Battery 260 amps : #53,000

2) Suntech Solar Panel 205 watt: #60,000 - #70,000

3) GFM Deep Cycle Battery 2V X 1000amps : #47,000 each

4) Solar Operated Water Heater : #150,000

George_D,

You will need 24 pieces of the 2V X 1000amp battery to kill PHCN or Electric Power Providers in the country. No be small change O!!!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BUTONEDAY(m): 11:34pm On Feb 20, 2012
All,

UPS equipment PRICE SLASH!!!

Here are the new prices for some Back up equipment.

1) SATURN Battery 260 amps : #53,000

2) Suntech Solar Panel 205 watt: #60,000 - #70,000

3) GFM Deep Cycle Battery 2V X 1000amps : #47,000 each

4) Solar Operated Water Heater : #150,000

George_D,

You will need 24 pieces of the 2V X 1000amp battery to kill PHCN or Electric Power Providers in the country. No be small change O!!!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 8:42am On Feb 21, 2012
hello butoneday,
thanks for the update. looks like these prices keep dropping by the day.

however, i'm still discussing with our man in lagos who has agreed to sell me those 2v 500ah batts
for 15k each. compared to the 2v 1000ah you got here going for 47k i think the man in lagos has a better bargain.

also as for the 205w panels, i got an offer to pre-order 295w canadian solar for just 75k which still is a better bargain when you think about it.

all other items in your list i will need to find out.

keep the info coming in. thanks!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by cretin: 9:40am On Feb 21, 2012
u dont hv the 2v 400ah battery?, am interested, cud u post pics? or state the dimensions/weight?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 10:19am On Feb 26, 2012
cretin,
the 2v 400ah batteries are supplied by my man in lagos.

unfortunately i can't give you the dimensions at the moment.

they are still available.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (1634) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.