Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,365 members, 7,781,000 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:15 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (210) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (1990655 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (207) (208) (209) (210) (211) (212) (213) ... (1634) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 9:38am On Feb 11, 2017
bigrovar:
So yesterday I finished series of updates I have been carrying out on my system. The upgrades include an additional solar panel (250w) to my 240w+240w+220w array. I made was to replace my crudely put together battery monitor with victron Energy BMV 700 battery monitor. Comes with a shunt and display too.

Hope to do a product review on the BMV soon. (Fantastic product.)
Below are mandatory pictures

for sharing your experience, i say thank you !

i love your Tubular batteries too i wish recession should just go to purchase some too. the distance btw battery bank & CC + battery loop seems too long, but you seem to have solve energy loss using rated cables. Nice too!

i admire your monitoring meter and its basic installation. it re-buttress what konnection said earlier that we are like hawks watching over our power solutions.

I am not comfortable with your cables hanging or dangling from your PVs. I hope you don't have domestic goats around your place or else they may practice "head butt" with it or use horn to test their stamina to impress she-goats. grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 10:02am On Feb 11, 2017
harveyspec:

thanks, How much did you get your fangpusun, meter inclusive?

did you import it ?

I can't seem to find where it's being sold online, aliexpress doesnt have it

Contact me for same Fangpuson mppt 60a (meter inclusive) & Fangpuson mppt 80a . Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 11:22am On Feb 11, 2017
cooldipo:

Pls we need more contributions to this issue of limit pose by charge controller rating. In my case, I have a 12V inverter set up and a 30A Epever Tracer charger controller with 3 units of 150watt mono panels. The Max Pv input power is 390watt(12volts) 780watt(24volts) for the cc..... I was tempted to add one more panel even though the Maximum Power current is about 8.5A per panel. I wanted one more panel if 150watt for obvious reasons......bountiful harvest on days with less solar radiation grin which my supplier gave a nod to but my installer here gave me the scare that I run the xtra/over current...... Pls help me out with informed opinion. Thanks

Yes! under STC Max Pv input power is 390watt(12volts) 780watt(24volts) falls true for your CC
but will you always get those parameters harvested from your roof top?

Yes! you stand the risk of blowing up ur cc with the extra/over current
that is where you need learn from experience of gurus in the house.

for me, you can always tweak by re-configuration of your PV with installation of extra one PV having a slightly lower specs somewhere in your Series & parallel.

But observe the 145v / 30A thresholds.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 1:48pm On Feb 11, 2017
Glad to see the ever supporting gurus giving advice and coaching...thumbs up!
Now to the next frontier....remote monitoring.

Gurus in the house kindly recommend a 'cheap' modem/router with remote management or Dynamic DNS that I can use to monitor my renewable energy system from anywhere over the internet. The router is the remaining piece for me to go live cheesy

Once again appreciate ur help as u respond...thanks cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 4:18pm On Feb 11, 2017
I don't know much about your brand of CC. Morningstar, midnight solar and other premium branch can work with as much solar panel as you want to put so long as your arrangement's VOC is less than 150V. The extra power beyond its rating will be unutilized.

However, if your location is such that the maximum your 450W output is not even close to that 390W limit for a 12V system, you can consider adding another panel. Be sure not to exceed maximum Voc.

cooldipo:

Pls we need more contributions to this issue of limit pose by charge controller rating. In my case, I have a 12V inverter set up and a 30A Epever Tracer charger controller with 3 units of 150watt mono panels. The Max Pv input power is 390watt(12volts) 780watt(24volts) for the cc..... I was tempted to add one more panel even though the Maximum Power current is about 8.5A per panel. I wanted one more panel if 150watt for obvious reasons......bountiful harvest on days with less solar radiation grin which my supplier gave a nod to but my installer here gave me the scare that I run the risk of blowing up my cc with the extra/over current...... Pls help me out with informed opinion. Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 4:32pm On Feb 11, 2017
Does anyone has link for a cheaper DC surge arrester 120V, 125V or 150V? The midnite series is damn too costly.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Onosy: 4:52pm On Feb 11, 2017
Installer do give different prices for installation of a 5kva complete system.
As it stands now I don't even know what the best option, though someone suggested Nickel batteries or FLP batteries
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dapsyra(m): 6:32pm On Feb 11, 2017
Yesterday, at sunset, I washed my Solar Panels and was rewarded with a bountiful harvest today.

My harvest increased by 3kwh, from 11.7kwh the previous day to 14.7kwh today. My daily harvest had consistently hovered around 11kwh since January when the harmattan haze took over the skies of Abuja.

If you have not washed your panels recently, please do so without further delays. Your efforts will be pleasantly rewarded by the god of green energy.

6 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 7:34pm On Feb 11, 2017
cooldipo:

Pls we need more contributions to this issue of limit pose by charge controller rating. In my case, I have a 12V inverter set up and a 30A Epever Tracer charger controller with 3 units of 150watt mono panels. The Max Pv input power is 390watt(12volts) 780watt(24volts) for the cc..... I was tempted to add one more panel even though the Maximum Power current is about 8.5A per panel. I wanted one more panel if 150watt for obvious reasons......bountiful harvest on days with less solar radiation grin which my supplier gave a nod to but my installer here gave me the scare that I run the risk of blowing up my cc with the extra/over current...... Pls help me out with informed opinion. Thanks
nothing will happen to your cc. I have used 900w on the same cc on 12v. The only advice I have for you is to modify the cooling system

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 8:09pm On Feb 11, 2017
Onosy:
Installer do give different prices for installation of a 5kva complete system.
As it stands now I don't even know what the best option, though someone suggested Nickel batteries or FLP batteries

Start small but go 4 d best
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 8:28pm On Feb 11, 2017
See your dashboard grin.
I wash my small array weekly...my area is untarred and as such dusty...my array is 1000w....can be cleaned under 8mins cheesy
dapsyra:
Yesterday, at sunset, I washed my Solar Panels and was rewarded with a bountiful harvest today.

My harvest increased by 3kwh, from 11.7kwh the previous day to 14.7kwh today. My daily harvest had consistently hovered around 11kwh since January when the harmattan haze took over the skies of Abuja.

If you have not washed your panels recently, please do so without further delays. Your efforts will be pleasantly rewarded by the god of green energy.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 9:13pm On Feb 11, 2017
JUO:
nothing will happen to your cc. I have used 900w on the same cc on 12v. The only advice I have for you is to modify the cooling system

Yes I concur ! I use above 1600w array on 60a I Tracer mppt for my 24v 1320a batt bank system .... Cheers

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by cooldipo(m): 2:30am On Feb 12, 2017
JUO:

Thanks for your advice bro..... Pls how do I modify the cooling system?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Obimind1: 2:39am On Feb 12, 2017
kiekie1:

Yes I concur ! I use above 1600w array on 60a I Tracer mppt for my 24v 1320a batt bank system .... Cheers
That being the case, what's the maximum watts someone can use on a 24v system, bcus personally I've always wanted to add more panels to my 1,200 watts array which runs on a 60ah mppt charge controller, but I've been kinda scared to avoid exceeding my cc limit.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 9:00am On Feb 12, 2017
efuro:

for sharing your experience, i say thank you !

i love your Tubular batteries too i wish recession should just go to purchase some too. the distance btw battery bank & CC + battery loop seems too long, but you seem to have solve energy loss using rated cables. Nice too!

i admire your monitoring meter and its basic installation. it re-buttress what konnection said earlier that we are like hawks watching over our power solutions.

I am not comfortable with your cables hanging or dangling from your PVs. I hope you don't have domestic goats around your place or else they may practice "head butt" with it or use horn to test their stamina to impress she-goats. grin grin grin grin grin
Me too. But the panel cables where too short to have them tacked away. I would get a bamboo stick and wedge it under the panel so the cables can be hinged on them.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 9:01am On Feb 12, 2017
60A x 27v= 1620w. Your battery charges to a little above 27v so your controller can handle 1600W.
Obimind1:

That being the case, what's the maximum watts someone can use on a 24v system, bcus personally I've always wanted to add more panels to my 1,200 watts array which runs on a 60ah mppt charge controller, but I've been kinda scared to avoid exceeding my cc limit.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 9:17am On Feb 12, 2017
dapsyra:

Egbon according to your pvoutput page. You are using a mercury MC5048E inverter. How is it serving you. I always thought mercury inverters are all modified wave.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dapsyra(m): 10:28am On Feb 12, 2017
bigrovar:

Egbon according to your pvoutput page. You are using a mercury MC5048E inverter. How is it serving you. I always thought mercury inverters are all modified wave.

The Mercury MC5048E is a very rugged pure sinewave inverter rated 48vdc, 5kva (4.2kw).

It was installed on 1/12/15 and I have not had a single issue with it. I live semi off-grid, so the inverter is on duty 24/7.

It has a very good load bearing capability. I have thrown all types of loads at it. Be it resistive, capacitive or inductive load, it bears them all without a hiccup. I have even loaded it up to 4.8kva for 5minutes and it handled well.

I do not use it to charge my batteries, so I don't know how good the charging circuits are.

It has two down sides that I have observed:

1. The Low Battery Voltage disconnect is 40vdc. This represent 100% DOD which will greatly shorten the life of your batteries if you allow them to get that low on many occasions.

2. The High Battery Voltage disconnect is 58vdc. While this value is adequate for SMF Gel and AGM batteries, it is too low to properly charge and equalize Flooded Lead Acid batteries.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 11:07am On Feb 12, 2017
Number of watt my 43 inch TV + Dstv HD uses ... Just 30.. conservation is cheaper and more efficient than generation the way prevention is better than cure

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 11:22am On Feb 12, 2017
dapsyra:

The Mercury MC5048E is a very rugged pure sinewave inverter rated 48vdc, 5kva (4.2kw).

It was installed on 1/12/15 and I have not had a single issue with it. I live semi off-grid, so the inverter is on duty 24/7.

It has a very good load bearing capability. I have thrown all types of loads at it. Be it resistive, capacitive or inductive load, it bears them all without a hiccup. I have even loaded it up to 4.8kva for 5minutes and it handled well.

I do not use it to charge my batteries, so I don't know how good the charging circuits are.

It has two down sides that I have observed:

1. The Low Battery Voltage disconnect is 40vdc. This represent 100% DOD which will greatly shorten the life of your batteries if you allow them to get that low on many occasions.

2. The High Battery Voltage disconnect is 58vdc. While this value is adequate for SMF Gel and AGM batteries, it is too low to properly charge and equalize Flooded Lead Acid batteries.

thanks for the review. Which part of Abuja do u stay
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 12:55pm On Feb 12, 2017
kiekie1:

Contact me for same Fangpuson mppt 60a (meter inclusive) & Fangpuson mppt 80a . Thanks

Fangpuson 60a SOLD, contact me for Fangpuson mppt 80a @ 185k

10mm armoured copper cable for your solar array installations @ #1500 per yrd

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Javid4me: 1:16pm On Feb 12, 2017
GeorgeD1:

javid4me,
this is really impressive. i'm glad you finally summoned the courage to take the plunge and
you have done it in such grand style!
i also like that you decided to throw in a wind turbine into the mix. it's an area i would like to
take a little more than passing interest in.
congratulations! a fitting way to end an eventful year, if you ask me.
i also like your fully illustrated schematic diagram. it gives me an impression of a mind with attention
to details.

two things to note however:

1. your may consider splitting your solar array into two strings and having two charge controllers.
i know chris81964 already touched on this and i saw your response but no matter how much you
try to equalize the voltages of both sets of panels, you will keep having one set of voltage being
higher than the other, tilt leg or no tilt leg. this will be more apparent in the mornings when the sun
is just beginning to rise and in the evenings when the sun is setting. the money you think you're
going to save now by avoiding the purchase of an extra cc may well be lost many times over in the
next 25 yrs when you keep losing valuable power as a result of this discrepancy of panel voltage.

2. you may also consider getting a stand alone charge controller for your wind turbine. i'm a bit
doubtful of the reliability and efficiency of the inbuilt cc of that wind turbine. depending on the model
you want to buy it may not be anything sophisticated or expensive. just a simple solid state cc like
the tristar prostar:

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/products/prostar/

for a 600w turbine, you don't need a 30a or 45a cc besides a stand alone type will be more flexible
for adjustments.

just my two cents.

Thanks Oga GeordeD1 and chris81964 for the advice.
I got the upgrade done whilst i was out of town and there is significant difference that astounded me when i got back & queried the system.
Look at the readings on CC1 and CC2 .
Knowledge, wisdom and experience. I duff my OGAs.

Thanks to Solar Depot. Expedient delivery.
1 Midnite Solar Combiner Box with fuses
1 Midnite Solar DC SPD
1 Outback 80Amp CC

Awaiting Windmill CC, until then the breaker is off.
Panel cleaning does really help. Dust trying to deny me my harvest from God. Na lie. grin grin grin

Kindly review pictures and as usual your comments, criticism and queries are very welcome

Best wishes to everyone.

Does anyone have Outback Hub & Mate/Mate3?

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Javid4me: 1:25pm On Feb 12, 2017
DMerciful:
See your dashboard grin.
I wash my small array weekly...my area is untarred and as such dusty...my array is 1000w....can be cleaned under 8mins cheesy

I wish mine was that easy. Wahala with roof installation. grin
I will be inspecting it monthly especially during the dry months of the year.
It is really worth while cleaning regularly.

Something else i learnt off you guys.
Changed all my security lights to 3W LED and most internal lights to 3W and 5W on different switches from the regular POP LED cluster and passed the info to my household.
Once PHCN goes, you hear my kids telling each other and everyone to switch to white lights. Now my security lights can be on all night without so much battery drain.

Thanks All. Everyday is a school day n i appreciate the lessons n lectures.

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 2:46pm On Feb 12, 2017
All,

Brand new Fangpusun Flexmax 60A mppt solar charge controller for sale at best price.
Whatsapp me on 08035415969 if interested.

Cheers cheesy

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 3:19pm On Feb 12, 2017
Very lovely installation. when i grow up cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Javid4me:

Thanks Oga GeordeD1 and chris81964 for the advice.
I got the upgrade done whilst i was out of town and there is significant difference that astounded me when i got back & queried the system.
Look at the readings on CC1 and CC2 .
Knowledge, wisdom and experience. I duff my OGAs.

Thanks to Solar Depot. Expedient delivery.
1 Midnite Solar Combiner Box with fuses
1 Midnite Solar DC SPD
1 Outback 80Amp CC

Awaiting Windmill CC, until then the breaker is off.
Panel cleaning does really help. Dust trying to deny me my harvest from God. Na lie. grin grin grin

Kindly review pictures and as usual your comments, criticism and queries are very welcome

Best wishes to everyone.

Does anyone have Outback Hub & Mate/Mate3?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by harveyspec: 7:14pm On Feb 12, 2017
Saw this on coscharis website, they are the licensed distributor of mercury product

does it mean the the mercury tubular battery is of 2 variant? Acid & Non Acid type

does it also imply that the tubular without Acid is Maintenance free?

CC

Dmerciful
kiekie1
GeorgeD1
bigrovar
JUO
efuro

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 8:08pm On Feb 12, 2017
Can you post a link of the website so we can check it out?
harveyspec:
Saw this on coscharis website, they are the licensed distributor of mercury product

does it mean the the mercury tubular battery is of 2 variant? Acid & Non Acid type

does it also imply that the tubular without Acid is Maintenance free?

CC

Dmerciful
kiekie1
GeorgeD1
bigrovar
JUO
efuro
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by harveyspec: 9:45pm On Feb 12, 2017
DMerciful:
Can you post a link of the website so we can check it out?

you won't find other details cos there was no description. though I requested for a quote, awaiting their reply.

http://www.coscharis-tech.com/product/mercury-batteries/
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pdozie: 10:27pm On Feb 12, 2017
mank1234:
Does anyone has link for a cheaper DC surge arrester 120V, 125V or 150V? The midnite series is damn too costly.

Any cheaper and efficient alternatives?? Greetings to everyone
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 10:28pm On Feb 12, 2017
javid4me,
the difference is so dramatic! now you can really begin to harvest the true output
of your solar panels!!
congratulations once again and well done for heading to the voice of reason
despite initially being reluctant to do so.
be assured that the money you spend today, you will recover it many times over
the lifespan of your modules.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 10:31pm On Feb 12, 2017
DMerciful:
Glad to see the ever supporting gurus giving advice and coaching...thumbs up!
Now to the next frontier....remote monitoring.

Gurus in the house kindly recommend a 'cheap' modem/router with remote management or Dynamic DNS that I can use to monitor my renewable energy system from anywhere over the internet. The router is the remaining piece for me to go live cheesy

Once again appreciate ur help as u respond...thanks cheesy
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 10:41pm On Feb 12, 2017
harveyspec,
i tend to avoid mercury products generally. a couple of years ago they had this
reputation for being substandard and that really put me off.
maybe over the years they have improved in quality but i guess first impression
lasts longest.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (207) (208) (209) (210) (211) (212) (213) ... (1634) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: microgiant and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.